THE BROWNS BOARD

Looking for Recommendations

Well, this Tuesday we load up the van and drive approximately 1000 to Sheboygan, WI for my wife's Mother's Memorial Service and scattering of her remains - she passed away in Jan after a horrible 6 years of Parkinson's and Dementia. Mericifly, she passed away.

Once we drive back, we spend a few days at home (and work) before heading for Brewster, MA on The Cape - hopefully for a week of R&R and Cape Cod League baseball.

I tell you this, not because you are particularly interested in my schedule but because it provides a segway into my real purpose.

It is time for summer and vacation reading. Not particularly comparable to winter reading but with an opportunity to read a relaxing, albeit entertaining and well-written prose, in a relaxing atmosphere.

So, let's have it. I am open to suggestions for specific books that might lend themselves as opportunities for all of us.

In a variety of posts, Steve has listed a biography about Bonnie and Clyde, Mr. T and I have exchanged posts about the intriguing man and book, "Will" about G. Gordon Liddy, and I have mentioned the incredible, 'Angela's Ashes' by Frank McCourt.

I will also recommend Shep's book, "Henry's List of Wrongs" - something I read years ago and provides a good backdrop for posts and posters on this or any board.

The floor is open:

PS Are you on dry land either this coming Tuesday or next Sunday nights???? Maybe I can finagle a visit to the great new brew pub in Akron.

I am a huge fan of Frank McCort. Have read all his books. Right now I am reading The Art of War again (very slowly), but even the second time through, it takes forever to read.

For some light reading, I love bio's. In the last year I have read James Brown, Willie Nelson, Charles Manson, Phil Jackson (I am reading now) and a book on the 86 Mets. I also listen to some of these on tapes on book on the way to work.

I'm sorry for your loss. My mother-in-law died in October so I know just what you're going through.

I would read anything by David Foster Wallace (except for Infinite Jest, which is amazing but like giving birth I would guess). Maybe read Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

I am also a huge fan of Dave Eggers, Chuck Klosterman (if you like pop culture), Chuck Bukowski (crude but you can tear through each one in a few days) and Bret Easton Ellis.

John, really sorry about your tough times,

as far as reading goes - If you can find Joseph Campbell's "Hero of a Thousand Faces", it's a deep

and amazing book about his theory on the monomythical patterns in literature.

I haven't read but 50 pages of Mark Levin's book "Liberty and Tyranny", but it

has an outstanding reputation, #1 best seller, etc.

Or, I would even send you what I have finished of my adventure novel, though it's only eh...3/4 to being finished..

you can be the first to give me some constructive feedback...

When I was in the service, I read "The Hobbit" ... much, much better than any of the movies on the same.

OR,

just grab any Zane Grey western and have a Western adventure.

Thank, Diehard. I did read it. Very good.

BTW, did you read Dick Marcinko's first book.........forget the name. It was nonfiction and it is excellent, especially if one were to compare to his steriotypical and poorly written attempts at fiction.

It's a real old book by Leon Uris, "Battle Cry". You probably have read it. But I first read it in High School in 1970. About WW2, specifically, the Marines.

Sorry for your loss John, I hope all is well with you and your family.

As far as what books to recommend, it depends on what mood your in.

political, fiction or non fiction.

I have 2 books on my list

LongWalkers: Return of the Nephilim Written by Stephen Quayle and Duncan Long

and

Power to the People, Written by Laura Ingraham.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

My belated condolences, John.

I would read anything by David Foster Wallace (except for Infinite Jest, which is amazing but like giving birth I would guess). Maybe read Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

You should check this out:

infinite summer

I haven't read but 50 pages of Mark Levin's book "Liberty and Tyranny", but it

has an outstanding reputation, #1 best seller, etc.

Josh Marshall makes a good point:

I take it as a sign of progress that Jews in America can now not only be doctors and lawyers and entertainers and professors but also borderline fascistic right-wing radio maniacs. All the jobs are now open to us.

As for my recs: I'd check out Don DeLillo's White Noise, which is a surprisingly poignant meditation on family and death. His football novel, End Zone, is also worth reading.

My belated condolences, John.

You should check this out:

infinite summer

Josh Marshall makes a good point:

As for my recs: I'd check out Don DeLillo's White Noise, which is a surprisingly poignant meditation on family and death. His football novel, End Zone, is also worth reading.

Thanks Al!!

This is a more-than-one-book summer so I appreciate all of your (and everybody else's) input.

Khaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns .

Goes through the cycles of government through Afganistan telling stories from two different women.

Very well written, one of the most interesting books I've read, considering the very little i knew about the different regime's that have controlled that region from the Soviets onward.

Archived