THE BROWNS BOARD

All this spending, How are you saving?

lambdo

There is no question that continual US spending is going to have an inflationary effect on currency over time..(And it was going to happen with or without Obama IMO)

So my question to the Brownsboard crew is how you are hedging your investments given the current market conditions.

Are you running to gold? Longing Ag? Investing through International currency's? Banking on bullish oil?

Are housing prices rebounding or is there another bubble to burst?

Is anyone here a market hawk?

I would be interested in hearing some sentiments from others, Being a Canadian and more specifically in the west, we have been fortanate enough to not see the recession as severly here, and would love to hear / share some opinions on the market both long and short terms from all the other areas.

-Lambdo

yanked my "market" money into buying up interest in small operating businesses that are struggling and in need of cash/operating corrections.

Housing is still not a smart place to invest in (imho) we have significantly reduced our footprint and holdings in all residential based investments.

Our reasoning is that credit is still excessively weak/soft which for quite a while (2years) is going to limit buying financing option. Holding that type of collateral is costly and risky trying to bet on when lending will stabilize enough that people/businesses will be able to leverage credit to buy again.

For me personally, I can make more than 10-15% and actually have it collateralized by something I can touch/feel/affect than market based investments right now.

Basically I am investing in myself instead of the markets right now, for some clients we are advising them to pool togeather private funds to do exactly as we are.

I think it is a great time to increase market share in existing small businesses and expand into other businesses. those who can in our estimate stand to gain a really aggressive return when and if the Market stabilizes and gdp/lending shows growth again. For the immediate management of monetary return for investment we are only buying existing businesses that can cash flow immediately right now once we come in and restructure.

Obviously this is just my opinion and what I am doing right now.

Actually I'm staying in mutual funds assuming and hoping the correction is over fairly soon.

I'm thinking that when the hysteria calms down the monstrous spending plans will be held in check and we could avoid the inflation it would bring.

I've been thinking actually about real estate only because it's so cheap now.

I've lost nearly half so far and at 56 right on the edge of an age to panic.

<G>

WSS.

Thanks for sharing Sev,

I do agree with you in the housing market, in my area(Western Canada) housing is stagnant at best , they have came down a touch but a small decline here is somewhat expected too going forward.

My background is in the oil and gas industry in Western Canada. I am mostly in small oil/gas/potash junior's that hold good land but have been slashed severely due to the recession.

I personally am not running to gold train just yet.

One stock that I have been following is DRYS, I am a fan only when US inventories are down and crude is on the rise.

Actually I'm staying in mutual funds assuming and hoping the correction is over fairly soon.

I'm thinking that when the hysteria calms down the monstrous spending plans will be held in check and we could avoid the inflation it would bring.

I've been thinking actually about real estate only because it's so cheap now.

I've lost nearly half so far and at 56 right on the edge of an age to panic.

<G>

WSS.

Luckilly I didn't have a 401k when the crash happened. I just started it in March I believe. Varies between 23 and 25% from day to day, i sure hope it stays there.

I am moving back in to selected stocks(never been totally out...McDonalds as an example...bought my first 200 shares in 1970) and may buy a 3rd home...condo in this case...there are some terrific buys at this point....but I am not really looking at it as a investment. Just something to have in addition to my home here in Tennessee and my home in Venice, Fl.

I have a pension, and CD's that are still paying a good income, but the CDs are close to expiration, so I think an annuity is the route I will take at this point with that sum.

I also hold gold and cash in a Swiss account.

Someone said investing in themself....good idea...for me that is giving my kids some cash...makes me feel good...and really the reason for the 3rd property...I can give each one when I finally kick the bucket.

Archived