THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Jurevicius

1) He'll never win this case unless he can show there was a deviation from a standard of care. The Browns brought in an outside agency to clean the facility but ultimately the responsibility for cleanliness winds up with the individuals. Staph lives on our skin so it's naturally there; remember that there is a difference between staph and drug-resistant staph.

2) The cases of resistant staph (MRSA) are usually associated with the Browns in the media, however, I have it on first hand authority that every single team has had one and last year there was a team that had five (and it wasn't the Browns).

disagree. taking a bath once a month doesn't qualify as good hygiene either, does it? with the money available there's no reason why they couldn't hire a ball boy-level equipment-wipe-down kid to sterilize the machines after use. it's a high traffic area with staph prevalent, although it would be an inconvenience to the user--looking at the alternative i'm sure any player w/ his head out of his ass wouldn't mind.

No one said he had an "open wound". Second, these weren't dirty scalpels or operative instruments. He used the rehab equipment (weight machines, etc). Not to disparage his problem but Jurevicius could have gotten resistant staph from picking his nose. Even in the best of circumstances, staph is exceptionally hard to eradicate without essentially perfect hygiene. If you are trying to get rid of it from a place where people sweat a lot it's almost impossible.

like Winslow didn't the symptoms appear after surgery, where scalpels and operative instruments were introduced into open flesh? there's no way to tell if it was delayed from the operation or from the rehab equipment.

i agree it's near impossible to contain it if you bomb the place a couple times and do little else, but if you installed sterilizing equipment next to every machine it would surely do a hell of a lot more than nothing. given the seriousness of staph i bet the few who wouldn't use the sterilization products would quickly become the minority. was anything like that furnished?

That's fine with me, as I stated previously. But suing the team???????

The problem I have is this: Even if the Browns were compliant with NFL standards, there is no denying that IF they had MRSA/C-diff/Staph transmitted from the equipment to their bodies, than enough is not being done - by the NFL and the Browns.

Sometimes the only way things get done in this country is when you hit them in the pocketbooks.

Joe defended many things no one else cared to, and spoke out on other taboo topics he felt needed voiced. if this is what avenue he's decided to pursue, that's more than enough for me.

I'm sure this logic will hold up in a court of law.

Joe's lawyer: "Your honor, Joe was fearless going over the middle and never shied away from making the tough catch. He was a great teammate, so he must be in the right when sues the bejeezus out of everyone even tangentially associated with his knee injury and subsequent staph infections."

JJ's suing so he can feed his family????? Give me a freakin' break.... He's probably made over 20 million during the course of his career.... This isn't about feeding his family of righting an injustice.... It's about money, getting the last nickle because his career is over....

On a side note, I think his absence last year was one of the biggest reasons we underperformed as a team last year.... We had no one to fill his position at the level he performed....

BTW, who says we don't have a ball boy working the weight room to clean the equipment... The team has a huge investment in these players and usually go above and beyond to protect that investment...

I had surgery at the Clinic last June and got a staph that put me down for over 7 months with an additional 4 surgeries and I wasn't anywhere near the Browns facility.... I wonder who I should sue----I wanna' feed my family also.... (Anyone know a good attorney lol)...

peace

T.Dawg

I'm sure this logic will hold up in a court of law.

Joe's lawyer: "Your honor, Joe was fearless going over the middle and never shied away from making the tough catch. He was a great teammate, so he must be in the right when sues the bejeezus out of everyone even tangentially associated with his knee injury and subsequent staph infections."

that's not the logic mz the pussy and you're funnier when you're not reaching to insult me.

i was referring to his validation from me as a fan for pursuing whatever he wants to pursue. joe jurevicius has cred on my street.

for a bunch of guys on the outside looking in we sure have strong opinions about what really went down inside Berea facilities.

BTW, who says we don't have a ball boy working the weight room to clean the equipment... The team has a huge investment in these players and usually go above and beyond to protect that investment...
well that was the question i asked...and no one's sayin they do have one.

if they don't, maybe Joe's the type of guy who wants there to be one in there from now on...and in that vein it may not be all about $$. pretty broad brush you're painting Joe with, he does bleed brown and orange after all.

that's not the logic mz the pussy and you're funnier when you're not reaching to insult me.

*bites tongue*

i was referring to his validation from me as a fan for pursuing whatever he wants to pursue. joe jurevicius has cred on my street.

That's fine and all, but we're talking about a lawsuit here, not street cred. You can be a fan of his and still disagree with what he's doing.

That's fine and all, but we're talking about a lawsuit here, not street cred. You can be a fan of his and still disagree with what he's doing.

this is derived from a Mary Kay article, right? without speaking to Joe personally we have no idea of his intentions or motivations as far as i'm concerned.

i've been sued before, twice in fact--it happens. sometimes the defendent is simply just a part of the process. doesn't mean the plaintiff is out for blood either. life isn't black and white enough to allow for knee-jerk reactions to have validity most of the time.

I would hope that it would not be a ballboy, but instead be a healthcare professional who is well versed in Standard Precautions.

Also, equipment or items in the patient environment likely to have been contaminated with infectious body fluids must be handled in a manner to prevent transmission of infectious agents ... properly clean and disinfect or sterilize reusable equipment before use on another patient ...

The weight room isn't "a patient environment" but the commonality of outbreaks makes me think that it should be treated as one. Regardless, the facts are not clear to us. We don't know how nor where the Staph infection was acquired.

-Al

like Winslow didn't the symptoms appear after surgery, where scalpels and operative instruments were introduced into open flesh? there's no way to tell if it was delayed from the operation or from the rehab equipment.

So what you're mplying here is that the Cleveland Clinic, a leading medical center, doesn't know how to sterilize surgical instruments? If that's your premise, then I'm sorry and with all due respect, you've never been in an OR.

look, heath measures that are supposed to be taken are not due to someone trying to save a buck.

My cousin works for the public schools and during wrestling season is supposed to spray the mats with a bleach solution after nightly practices as per school policy. Problem is the school only has 2 full time custodians/ janitors one during the day and one at night. They have to clean the weight room, wrestling mats, cafeteria, classrooms, restrooms, halls, ect. With only 2 guys cleaning an entire school and things like the cafeteria and restroom needing to be cleaned spotless every day there are things that get neglected, like sweeping the halls gets rotated with the weight room and wrestling room. Sure, it could be done if they would hire a 3rd guy but it would cost MONEY for the schools to pay 40k a year for a 3rd custodian but it's not in the budget because they pay 4 principals 400k a year at that school and had to save money so teachers and custodians got axed instead of administration.

The people at the top are never going to cut one of their own jobs when they can fire 10 guys below them and lay the extra work elsewhere, which is the root of the problem.

Same thing happens with one of my cousins that work at a nursing home, they're understaffed so the people at the top make more money and the employees there are overworked with more than what they can handle. Things slide because of it.

It's common in every field.

Where I worked as tech support we had 1 janitor for 3 shifts cleaning 3 floors for 24/7 facility operation.

Everyone KNOWS companies short change everything, and if Joe can show cleaning at the facilities were not done regarding minimal requirements he's going to win.

Funny thing is, with ALL of the money invested in these athletes, you would THINK that those facilities would be spic and span twice a day to protect their investments.

Not to sound totally in disagreement with Sisky...I do agree though that you'd think the Browns could employ someone to wipe down equipment. I also wonder though why these guys (who've been working out in gyms for years) don't take the initiative to wipe down equipment before they use it.

Not to sound totally in disagreement with Sisky...I do agree though that you'd think the Browns could employ someone to wipe down equipment. I also wonder though why these guys (who've been working out in gyms for years) don't take the initiative to wipe down equipment before they use it.

Watch out for that new guy Costanza! He pees in the shower. I know it's true, I saw it on TV. Sorry!

it's not cleveland, it's the browns facilities, you never hear about this happening with the cavs or indians.

they really need to get some new medical staff, this is ridiculous.

You guys are missing the point. It is nearly impossible to effectively eradicate MRSA from a facility. Every single NFL team has MRSA in its facility. It's not simply a "medical staff" issue or an organization issue....it's an "everybody" issue. Every single person has to be on board. It's not enough to bring in a HAZMAT team and nuke the place. It's still there.

He signed an informed consent that said he understood the risk of the procedure (which includes infection). It's going to be very hard for him to prove negligence.

So do you think this means he won't play for us this year?....................................... just kidding..

I would take Joe on my team any day! He is one of the classiest guys to ever play in the NFL. The Staff infection problem has been covered up by many sports organizations pro and ammiture over the past 5 years.

So what you're mplying here is that the Cleveland Clinic, a leading medical center, doesn't know how to sterilize surgical instruments? If that's your premise, then I'm sorry and with all due respect, you've never been in an OR.

i've been on the receiving end under the knife a few times, does that count?

just stating there's truly no way to tell exactly when the stuff got in. maybe it wasn't on the brand-new-right-out-of-the-package-instruments until it touched his skin. who cleaned the area, and how well? is it possible there's an mrsa strain that is resistant to what they used to clean the area? it could go a million ways. just too many places for contamination is all i was suggesting. besides the fact i have little faith in things i don't specifically do myself or see firsthand. call it a survivalist curse. shit happens, every day.

i've been on the receiving end under the knife a few times, does that count?

just stating there's truly no way to tell exactly when the stuff got in. maybe it wasn't on the brand-new-right-out-of-the-package-instruments until it touched his skin. who cleaned the area, and how well? is it possible there's an mrsa strain that is resistant to what they used to clean the area? it could go a million ways. just too many places for contamination is all i was suggesting. besides the fact i have little faith in things i don't specifically do myself or see firsthand. call it a survivalist curse. shit happens, every day.

The stuff they clean it off with will kill it. No question.

How many other nfl teams had this many staph infections?? That is something we dont want the Browns to be leading in, If anything Joe might be doing this to get the problem adressed.

Every team has had at least one. One team had five LAST YEAR (and it wasn't the Browns). I have that on first hand authority.

Archived