THE BROWNS BOARD

Mark DeRosa traded

Perez looks like he could have good upside, and he's young. God knows we need bully help. It will be interesting to see who the player to be named later is.

Yea I heard he can get it up to around 98MPH, with him and the Veras guy from New York or whatever his name is hopefully will get some stability from the pen.

Points to Castro for this one. It was nearly one month ago - http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php...amp;#entry75853 - when he wrote about this potential match:

Castro wrote about a possible DeRosa deal earlier this week. I've long been a fan of Perez and would be damn happy to have that guy in our gear:

Could a DeRosa deal be in the Cards?

St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak is looking for a third baseman. And in describing what he's looking for to reporters earlier today, he might as well have just said, "Mark DeRosa."

The Cardinals need a third baseman because Troy Glaus has shoulder ligament damage. The most updated timetable for his return is mid-July or early August.

Basically, what Mozeliak is looking for is a right-handed bat (check) who can play third base (check) until Glaus returns, at which point said bat can slot in elsewhere in the field (check).

The Indians, as you know, have had DeRosa basically on the block for a couple weeks now, because his value to them isn't anywhere near what it was before Jhonny Peralta moved to third base. So this could be an interesting situation to watch in the next couple days.

In return for DeRosa, the Indians would want Major League-ready pitching. I'm told the Cardinals could potentially make right-handed starter Mitchell Boggs available in a trade, but what the Cards really have to offer is an army of right-handed relievers, such as P.J. Walters or Chris Perez . Jason Motte is probably less likely to be dealt.

We'll see what happens, if anything.

In the meantime, just a note that I will not be with the club in Minnesota, so the blog will be lineup- and minutia-less for a few days.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20..._be_in_the.html

Beanpot

Was our most consistent hitter (besides Victor the Great). I guess I can see the sense in it. Astrubal is back.

As far as consistency goes, Derosa is behind Victor, Choo, Pronk, Cabrera and Carroll in batting average (consistancy) goes. Even part-timers Barfield and Delucci have better averages. But Derosa was one of the Tribes best Clutch hitters as he is/was second on the team with 50 RBI's behind only Victor. Although Choo has 44 and Grady has 39 in limited action due to the injury.

Derosa was only hitting .270 at the time of the trade and was looked at as a one-year stop-gap. We get a young reliever that throws hard and another player later out of the deal. And you know the tribe's track record with the "player to be named later"

Good deal Shapiro!

As far as consistency goes, Derosa is behind Victor, Choo, Pronk, Cabrera and Carroll in batting average (consistancy) goes. Even part-timers Barfield and Delucci have better averages. But Derosa was one of the Tribes best Clutch hitters as he is/was second on the team with 50 RBI's behind only Victor. Although Choo has 44 and Grady has 39 in limited action due to the injury.

Derosa was only hitting .270 at the time of the trade and was looked at as a one-year stop-gap. We get a young reliever that throws hard and another player later out of the deal. And you know the tribe's track record with the "player to be named later"

Good deal Shapiro!

Yea your right. I was thinking of his stats before the last 6 games or so, he was .280 with a nice size of RBI's but point taken. I was just playing devils advocate, I agree with the trade.

While the Indians are taking another June Swoon, Shapiro will continue to make trades to shore up profits for the club to guarantee his bonus money.

what a Puke!!!!

We may be falling, but i don't blame Shapiro.

At some point you have to face the facts....DeRosa was a short term acquisition from the day we got him.

Perez is iffy, so it depends on the player to be named.

We have probably been given a list of 4-5 players who we are now going to scout in a big way the next few weeks if it isn't a situation where DeRosa's production is going to dictate which players will become available.

Motte has been mentioned...he is a top closer prospect even if he had a few bumps in the road this season.

• 4 weeks later...
Indians Acquire RHP Jess Todd to complete DeRosa deal

The St. Louis Cardinals and the Cleveland Indians announced that they have completed the deal that sent Mark DeRosa to St. Louis in exchange for Chris Perez and a player to be named later. It has been announced today that the player to be named later that has completed the deal is RHP Jess Todd.

Todd will be added to the 40-man roster and report to Columbus.

Todd is 23 years of age and entered the season as the Cardinals' #4 prospect. This season, he's posted a 2.20 ERA through 49 innings, allowing just 39 hits and 13 walks while striking out 59 and collecting 24 saves. Opponents are hitting just .214 against Todd this season.

Seems to be a more polished reliever than the guys we've been after. 90-94 MPH fastball, mixes in a slider, cutter and circle change. Not a bad pickup.

Archived