THE BROWNS BOARD

Varejao to test Free-agency

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Varejao free: On Tuesday, Varejao informed the Cavs he was not going to accept his player option for $6.2 million next season and he will become an unrestricted free agent. This was an expected move and the Cavs have been in contact with Varejao to tell him they intend to present him an offer soon.

Varejao free: On Tuesday, Varejao informed the Cavs he was not going to accept his player option for $6.2 million next season and he will become an unrestricted free agent. This was an expected move and the Cavs have been in contact with Varejao to tell him they intend to present him an offer soon.

CAVS are looking at a lot of options which tells me they just may let Varejao walk.

Later.

He will. Getting big dollars to play with Lebron and win championships is pretty alluring. Lebron has expressed a desire to play with Bosh and the feeling is mutual.

They are very close since the olympics and Lebron said they text each other regulary to stay in touch. Lebron is also very good friends with Rip Hamilton. They even hang together in the offseason.

I've never heard Lebron come out and say anything "good or bad" about Shawn Marion.

Don't count on Gibson being the first guard off the bench. If it isn't Anthony Parker it will be someone else. Don't count out Rip Hamilton. He's restricted but Detroit has spent a lot and seems committed to the new guys thay are bringing in. I don't know if they will match an offer if it is substantial.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bosh make a homecoming and play in Dallas. Colangelo's supposed to be a brilliant GM, he probably won't let Bosh go for nothing. Josh Howard, JJ Barea and a pick (and whatever to make the salaries match) would be a pretty good deal for Toronto, and would make Dallas a true contender...while taking away two of the Cavs' biggest targets. I just hate the idea of putting so much into free agency.

I don't know about Amare. You'd assume anyone would want to play with LeBron and win titles, but you can't bank on it. New York has tons of cash and the coach Amare thrived under. Chicago has a ton of cash wish a solid core and Dwyane Wade hasn't been quiet about his desire to play there.

Then you're basically left with Joe Johnson, Michael Redd and Carlos Boozer as star-calibur, young(ish) options...and who knows how our cap will look when we still need to add a few more players.

I don't know. It's pretty pointless to think of now, it just keeps bugging me (and I know leads to me spewing some nonsense) when it looks like all the other title-contending teams are taking us to school in terms of building a team.

However, Marion and Parker would be a good start.

we just resigned Anderson to a pretty hefty contract. 42 mil for 6 years, WOW. So we have not added any offense to the team. We got older in the middle. Well what do u do, another one of those Cleveland years.

we just resigned Anderson to a pretty hefty contract. 42 mil for 6 years, WOW. So we have not added any offense to the team. We got older in the middle. Well what do u do, another one of those Cleveland years.

7 million a year, thats nuts for an energy guy. Denver just paid that Birdman guy around 2 million a year and he's the same type of player. Ron Artest got like 5 mill. Whats with cleveland and players not wanting to come here, we have to overpay for everything. How can we pay 7 mill for Varejau but can only offer a mid level exception for artest, ariza, marion, I dont understand it. Hedo Turkoglu got what like 8-9 million and he's a bonefied allstar. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lord help us

The article also says we came to terms with Anthony Parker and are now targeting Channing Frye.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4315370

A terrible contract in the best of times, but now, with the shrinking salary cap, I mean WTF? This contract is one I guarantee will hang around Ferry's neck like a noose when he has no chance at unloading it in a few years.

Just an absolute head-scratcher. Why not sign Paul Millsap and get a better, younger player for cheaper?

He will. Getting big dollars to play with Lebron and win championships is pretty alluring. Lebron has expressed a desire to play with Bosh and the feeling is mutual.

Not so likely now that they have the big Andy contract sitting at the four spot, unless they unload it somehow. Which I would think is very unlikely.

In itself, it's not actually a bad contract. Only about $1.5M more than the Mavs will be paying Gortat. About 6 or 7 million less/year than Andrew Bynum. Big men are definitely at a premium these days.

It hurts us for 2010, but there wasn't really any way around that. Even without Varejao, and counting LeBron, we'd still have $35M in payroll, and only have 5 players under contract. Assuming we would add a couple rotation guys at between 4-6 million a year, and a few guys just to fill the roster, we'd be around $48-50M and wouldn't be able to sign Bosh (or Amare, etc) straight up anyway.

A deadline deal or sign-and-trade next offseason is still pretty realistic, and was really our only option anyway. Keeping Varejao really helps our trading assets too, if we lost him we couldn't afford to lose Z or Hickson in a trade because we have no other depth in the frontcourt. So keeping AV gives us one more trade chip (Andy himself) while making other guys expendable.

All in all, I don't think he deserves that kind of cash, but in the current NBA, and specifically the Cavs' situation, it could've been a lot worse.

Archived