THE BROWNS BOARD

Israel launches airstrike on Gaza 20 Missles fired

Mr. T

Guest Aloysius
In Israel, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert praised Obama's victory as "historic and impressive. America has again proven itself an example to world democracies."

Opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu said Obama's victory represented an historic change for America, adding: "I am sure the new president will be able to bring peace to our region," he said.

MK Ophir Pines-Pas said Obama must involve himself with the peace process immediately at the start of his term. He also said, "the political system in Israel can look with astonishment and jealousy at democracy in the United States. Obama's victory gives hope to billions in the world, as well as in Israel.

Other Israeli lawmakers praised Obama's election as a victory against racism. MK Shlomo Moula (Kadima), an Ethiopian immigrant to Israel, said: "This is a victory that arouses hope in all black people in the world and in Israel. I am full of hope that Israel won't wait 400 years for equality."

Israeli Arab MK Ahmed Tibi called Obama's victory a "defeater of racism... the American people have proven their grandness and have headed out on the dawn of a new day and a new world. We must always remember, 'only in the darkness can one see the stars."

MK Yuval Steinitz (Likud) said that Obama has already proven his "friendship to Israel... and his uncompromising commitment to curbing Iran's nuclear program."

At celebratory reception at the U.S. embassy in Jerusalem Tuesday night, U.S. Ambassador James Kingham said he could vouch for Obama's support of Israel, the advancement of the peace process and for Israel's security.

Guest Aloysius

This is just speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the tension on the Gaza-Israel border was actually Syrian pushback for our conducting a raid into its territory.

Archived