THE BROWNS BOARD

Vale Villanueva

grimmreaper3

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-g...o&type=lgns

Pistons reach deals with Gordon, Villanueva

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 2 hours, 2 minutes ago

The Detroit Pistons have reached agreement with free-agent guard Ben Gordon(notes) and forward Charlie Villanueva(notes), a source with knowledge of the talks told Yahoo! Sports Wednesday evening.

Gordon will receive a five-year contract worth around $55 million while Villanueva’s five-year deal is expected to be worth about $35 million.

Gordon and Villanueva, who played together for a year at UConn, traveled to Detroit on Wednesday morning to meet with Detroit president Joe Dumars and other Pistons front-office officials. They took a tour of the practice facility in Auburn Hills, had lunch with management and both ultimately came to terms on an agreement. Gordon agreed first and Villanueva followed soon after.

The loss of Gordon is a blow to the Bulls, who tried to re-sign the shooting guard. Gordon turned down contract extensions for $54 million and $50 million in the past two offseasons as a restricted free agent. It is believed the Bulls were willing to go to $10 million a season for him, but were outbid by the Pistons.

No free agents can sign until the league-mandated moratorium ends on July 8.

The Pistons also continue to negotiate with one of their own free agents, forward Antonio McDyess.

The signing of Gordon, 26, could make another former UConn player, Richard Hamilton, expendable in a trade. Hamilton, 31, could be used to bring back another low-post presence: perhaps Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer, Los Angeles Clippers’ center Chris Kaman or New Orleans Hornets center Tyson Chandler. Gordon averaged 20.7 points a game last season for the Bulls and 18.5 in his five seasons in Chicago. He was the third pick in the 2004 NBA draft.

Dumars is remaking the Pistons, who are expected to lose Rasheed Wallace to free agency. Dumars fired coach Michael Curry on Wednesday, and ex-Pistons coach Doug Collins is considered the frontrunner for the job. Sources say Collins still has to sell his staying power and stability to Detroit management. Former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson will be considered, too.

Villanueva would have been nice. He *seemed* open to a contract with the Cavs, and I thought he might be a nice fit for the team. I actually did think he might have signed with us, but Detroit had the money.

So... what now?

Damn there is always so much drama. He wants to join us, then he chooses the Pistons. He got 35mil for 5 years on a tea that is still missing a few pieces. He could have got around 30 from us and won that championship. They need to have an ugly contest in the NBA, Sam Cassel and Ville are tired for ugliest.

Guest Aloysius

Sounds like the Celtics are seriously gunning for Sheed:

Sources say Boston Celtics GM Danny Ainge and assistant director of basketball operations Leo Papile showed up on Rasheed Wallace’s doorstep just after midnight Wednesday to make their recruiting push.

"I know he is definitely considering playing for them," one league source said.

The Celtics are targeting Wallace with the midlevel exception and sources say the team – which could be willing to pay a steep luxury tax – is also pursuing Phoenix’s Grant Hill. The Celtics sent Rivers, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen to encourage Wallace to sign with them. Garnett and Wallace have a close relationship.

Boston officials are convinced that these next 24 to 48 hours are critical in overtaking the Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference, and eventually, the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers.

Guest ATENEARS

I just don't see Rasheed Wallace fitting in with the Celtics ... I just don't see it. I think he would love the fans in Cleveland and vice-versa.

What if we did a sign and trade deal with Artest, letting go Varajao and picked up Rasheed under the free'd cap room?

Varajao = Artest & Rasheed?

I like scenario, but not losing Andy for nothing.

Archived