THE BROWNS BOARD

Prisco's most Overated/Underated in the league

LeBrent

All Over/Under Team: D'Q, Henderson at opposite ends

July 2, 2009

By Pete Prisco

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

His first name stands out -- but not nearly as much as his game. It's too bad many haven't noticed.

Cleveland Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson led the NFL in tackles last season, but outside of Cleveland, the University of Maryland and Seminole, Fla. -- his hometown -- he isn't well known.

Cleveland tackling machine D'Qwell Jackson hasn't attracted much attention -- yet. (Getty Images)

Those who aren't watching are missing a heck of a football player. Jackson, entering his fourth season, had 154 tackles and three interceptions for the Browns in 2008.

Yet there was no Pro Bowl, no All-Pro and little attention.

That's what playing for a loser does to a player. You get lost. You don't get your due. So we'll give him some.

Jackson is my choice as the most underrated player in the league. He headlines my list of players on each team who don't get the respect they deserve. Some are younger players who haven't been truly discovered, while others are like Jackson, players on bad teams who are stars without a big audience

D'Qwell is swell.

The Browns won't be good in 2009, but watch this kid play. Watch him D'Q a lot of running backs.

Here is what he said on the Browns as a team

Cleveland Browns

Overrated: RB Jamal Lewis. He rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season, but his per-carry average of 3.6 wasn't good enough. He has taken a lot of shots in his career, and it might be showing.

Underrated: Jackson. His contract is up after this season, but without a new CBA he won't be an unrestricted free agent. He will cash in big if he is.

I really think we need to get this guy a new contract and keep him happy and I think Mangini will. Him and Rogers hopefully will keep us strong up the middle for years to come.

They have to play together Shep.

So far this team has not been capable of winning tight games, or making plays at critical juntures. I have seen too many 3rd and 18's be converted - one that comes to mind was by Big Gay Ben. Until they can play consistently AS A TEAM, they will not have success. Some of the players (parts) have played well, just not together.

If we string together more than 2 wins at a time, we'll be labeled as "knowing how to win." Since we cannot seem to do this yet, we will be labeled as a "team that struggles."

It's been so long ago, and off the top of my head without any looking back, but I do believe Wali Ranier led the league in tackles in 2000?

Of course, DQwell is better than Wali......

Sorry, Wali's career high season tackle number was 92. D'qwell's lowest season total so far has been 93.

D'qwell had more interceptions in 2008 than Wali had his entire career, as well as one less sack and one less pass defenses. Keep in mind this is only three seasons worth of stats for DQ and seven for Wali.

Sorry, Wali's career high season tackle number was 92. D'qwell's lowest season total so far has been 93.

D'qwell had more interceptions in 2008 than Wali had his entire career, as well as one less sack and one less pass defenses. Keep in mind this is only three seasons worth of stats for DQ and seven for Wali.

Wali had 137 tackles in '99, 119 in 2000 and 88 in '01.

I actually thought it was more until I looked it up.

Wow, a Wali Rainer mention or two.

Look, Jackson isn't going to get his due until the defense is a Top 10 defense. Look at the season Shaun Rogers had last year. If he's on the Steelers or Ravens or even NE defense last year, they're probably talking Defensive POY.

Shep, regarding your post about the mixed signals sent by the media types. They've got a show-me attitude about the Browns on both sides of the ball and who could blame them? After last year's not-ready-for-primetime showing, the media is not going to believe in this team until they do something worth believing in.

What's my feeling on that? GREAT! We don't need any attention and I'm sure that's exactly how Mangini & Co. want it.

With regards to D'Qwell, he's a solid linebacker, but by no means spectacular. I'd like to see a few more TFL's and maybe Rex's schemes will allow that.

Archived