THE BROWNS BOARD

Steve McNair shot to death

oiram

newschannel 5:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Former Titans quarterback Steve McNair has been killed. Police said McNair suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the head in downtown Nashville.

The incident happened near 2nd South & Lea Ave. Police said it looked like a double homicide. A female victim was also found dead.

Ya I just read this and that really sucks.

I never really liked Tennessee but I liked this guy a lot.

Talk about someone who was probably the toughest QB in the league and when he was so beat up he couldn't use his athletisism anymore he still produced.

This is definitely a big loss and I know he is a guy a lot of people look up to.

RIP

This is a shitty thing man. I seen this might be a murder-suicide. Steve was a great athlete and person. He played in one of the the best SB's ever played. He will be missed. RIP Steve McNair

newschannel 5:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Former Titans quarterback Steve McNair has been killed. Police said McNair suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the head in downtown Nashville.

The incident happened near 2nd South & Lea Ave. Police said it looked like a double homicide. A female victim was also found dead.

WOW! That's horrible news. He was a big hero for the Tennessee Titans and did ALOT in the community.

- Tom F.

Carruth is in jail for having his pregnant girlfriend shot and killed.

That's the only guy from who i have any knowledge that played for the Panthers and is in prison for the death of somebody.

Wow...Sad News Always Respected the heck out of McNair. Who was the Panthers Player

who wife Killed him a few yrs. Back ???

Fred Lane.

RIP Air McNair one tough sumbitch.

Zombo

McNair was as tough as there ever was at any position. I came to really respect his game after awhile and learned to never count him out on the injury report. I don't think there was ever a harder QB to tackle.

McNair was as tough as there ever was at any position. I came to really respect his game after awhile and learned to never count him out on the injury report. I don't think there was ever a harder QB to tackle.

Seems it wasn't that long ago he was League co-MVP. With Manning I believe. Way too early for him to be gone. That's for sure.

Edit: It was 2003 for the MVP.

First I want to say that McNair was a great individual on and off the field. Full of heart and I think any team would have loved to have him on their team. I hope, if this new report is true, that it doesn't cause people to think differently about a man who gave it is all at all times.

According to this new report the woman was McNair's girlfriend.

------------------------------

Report: Woman Shot To Death Was McNair's Girlfriend

Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 4, 2009 7:41 PM

The woman found shot to death today along with former Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair was allegedly McNair's girlfriend, according to a CNN report that cited an anonymous law enforcement official.

However, the name of the woman hasn't been released even though she has been "tentatively identified."

McNair was discovered dead today in a downtown Nashville condominium, according to police.

Per the report, the condominium belongs to the woman with witnesses claiming that McNair was a "frequent visitor."

Nashville Police spokesman Don Aaron told Tennessee reporters today that no suspect is in custody at this time. And Aaron ruled out the scenario of a murder-suicide.

According to the Tennessean, Aaron noted that the woman killed was not McNair's wife.

Meanwhile, WSMV-TV in Nashville is reporting that the building is owned by Charles Cardwell.

Cardwell told the television station that the unit was rented to a man named Wayne Neeley, but that McNair used the apartment when he was in town.

According to WSMV, the apartment is in close vicinity to McNair's restaurant, which is named "Gridiron9."

Cardwell added that he hadn't seen McNair in about six weeks.

Per the report, two black sport utility vehicles have been towed away from the scene.

A tough loss of a Tough QB...what a shame...was a huge McNair fan,,,he was a class act and will be missed

Del Greco says McNair's death like kick to gut

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/in....xml&coll=2

Now isn't that like a kicker to say that? Or did he?

But seriously, it was shocking, to say the least, hearing of yet another death. Steve Mcnair was a tough as nails kind a guy. My sympathy goes to his wife and kids who now have the awful pain and reality of what lead to this tragedy. RIP Steve Mcnair

Guest AdaM

This is really sad to hear.

It sounds like either he tried to break things off with the girl and she took things too far, or.....

His wife found out about their affair and hade it made to look like a M/S.

:ph34r:

Fred Lane.

Zombo

Is that true or was Fred Lane shot by his wife? I'm getting old, I can't remember alot of the details on these things.

This is a tragedy folks. I'm glad to see the CLASS on this board shining through in all the replies I'm reading. That's a good job by you! People in Nashville here are just beside themselves. He and Eddie George are the co-icons of the Titans' franchise.

- Tom F.

Loved the guy as a player. True football player in every sense of the word.

I heard some sordid details last night I will not repeat, even though the Nashville City Paper said it has "impeccable multiple sources." Did not sound pretty.

RIP Steve.

Appears to be a murder-suicide. He was shot several times with a shotgun and she was shot once in the head with a pistol, which was nearby.

I read that it was the other way around, he was shot with a pistol and her with a shotgun. I also read that the pistol wasn't found near her body but in a concealed location.

Seems the facts and rumors are being thrown around.

Such a tragedy.

This isn't aimed towards you shep, but I know many people are probably thinking wrongly of him given the situation where he is running around with a 20 year old girl but I hope that he will be remembered for what he did on the football field and around the community, rather then for the mistakes he made.

Appears to be a murder-suicide. He was shot several times with a shotgun and she was shot once in the head with a pistol, which was nearby.

The two of them got in an accident two days earlier and she got a DUI. Turned out the Escalade was co-owned by the two of them. McNair has a wife and four sons.

McNair was busted in 2003 and 2007 for DUI, but the second one he wasn't actually driving. He just let someone drive his car while they were both inebriated. In 2003, he had a loaded gun in the car.

Guns don't create a lot of joy. Their presence (the multiple firearms in that condo) turns a screaming match (maybe about telling his wife since the DUI was about to take it public) into a murder-suicide.

They mix especially poorly with alcohol and both were part of McNair's otherwise extraordinary life. Few players were loved more by teammates and coaches. He was by all accounts a truly good guy...

With weaknesses for other women, guns, and booze. They can add up to a nasty snake and it bit him.

I'm not sure the national media reported McNair had an apartment, which tends to coincide with what guys do when they are seperated from their wives. That said, I don't know if he was legally seperated or not but I'm guessing the history with the girlfriend isn't just being learned by Mrs McNair.

Good point about women, guns and booze Shep. I posted a while back that the Governor of Nashville was contemplating a bill that was passed by state congress here in Tenn by a 3 to 1 vote (22 to 7) to allow guns in local bars and restaurants. Is that NOT freakin scary? The Governor made sure he stipulated that anyone with a GUN is allowed to bring it in as long as they promise NOT to drink. Those in favor forgot to POLL the local bar owners that would responsible for policing such an absurdity. it's not like bar personnel make great cash in the first place. Now you gotta put them in danger on top of it?

I'm not sure what's happened since. It seems like there's been a recent increase in the incidence of nightime shootings outside of bars downtown most recently though. Can't tell you if that's just a coincidence or the thugs are getting excited about potential legislation that will clobber the friendly and safe Nashville downtown tourist attraction and traditions here.

- Tom F. (This is depressing so thanks for getting me sidetracked about Vince Young in our Wonderlic thread)

Well, he'll remembered for what he was, a human being who did a lot of great things but made a fatal mistake that leaves his sons without a father. It's part of his resume for better or worse.

I know that McNair's bad judgement clearly fits the technical definition of a "mistake" but I hate having his (or anyone else's) extramarital affair called that. To me, a "mistake" is made when you miscount your change, trip over your own feet, forget to refill the cat's water bowl, or some similar errant event lacking intent. Calling something a mistake seems to imply that it was inadvertant. An extramarital affair doesn't happen inadvertantly; it definitely falls under the category of a choice. That's not to say that I condemn the man for it because I don't (maybe he and his wife WERE separated). We've all made questionable decisions in our lives and many of us have been lucky enough to avoid catastrophic consequences. This sad situation should serve as a tragic reminder that some risks are not worth taking and luck is not always good.

Archived