THE BROWNS BOARD

Patrick McManamon - Promises look promising for Browns

Brownshirt

McMANAMON: Promises look promising for Browns

By Patrick McManamon

Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 06:56 p.m. EDT, Jul 04, 2009

Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan gave a pretty interestinginterview when he met the local media at the end of the team'sminicamps.

Ryan showed the same flamboyant personality as his twinbrother, Rex (the coach of the New York Jets), and he made somepromising statements.

He promised some things, which, if they work out, would be promising for the team.

Let's take them in no real order:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/49940772.html

Guest AdaM
McMANAMON: Promises look promising for Browns

By Patrick McManamon

Beacon Journal sports writer

POSTED: 06:56 p.m. EDT, Jul 04, 2009

Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan gave a pretty interestinginterview when he met the local media at the end of the team'sminicamps.

Ryan showed the same flamboyant personality as his twinbrother, Rex (the coach of the New York Jets), and he made somepromising statements.

He promised some things, which, if they work out, would be promising for the team.

Let's take them in no real order:

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/49940772.html

The part about ryan sure is promising :)

If they move Wimbley around theres a real chance he will be disruptive at minimal as he will be able to rush the qb or rush the ground game with less chance of being automatically "picked up" like he was last year it really comes down to his nose for the ball unlike last year he will have options as things unfold.....;)

Guest Aloysius
Can't help but disagree:

''My whole life I've stopped the run, and you can look that up. We'll get it done here.''

Yeah, the Raiders have been terrible against the run over the past few years. Here's how the Raiders ranked in terms of yards per game during Ryan's tenure as DC:

• 2004: 22nd
  • 2005: 25th
  • 2006: 25th
  • 2007: 31st
  • 2008: 32nd
If you go by yards per carry, the numbers do get somewhat better, but not good enough to declare "I've stopped the run."
  • 2004: 7th
  • 2005: 19th
  • 2006: 12th
  • 2007: 32nd
  • 2008: 27th
There's a credible argument to be made that he lacked the personnel to put together a successful run defense, but that's different from saying that you've actually been successful.

We all knew it was bad but to see these tons of yardage per game is down right dismal.

The only way to go from there is up. We aren't going to turn this around overnight (I've been wrong atleast once before) but any improvement, even incremental will help. We're heading in the right direction. I can't fathom it getting any worse.

2008 — 151.9.

2007 — 129.5.

2006 — 142.2.

2005 — 137.6.

2004 — 144.6.

2003 — 132.1.

2002 — 129.9.

2001 — 138.0.

2000 — 156.6.

1999 — 171.0.

Archived