THE BROWNS BOARD

Football Trivia. Hall of Famers

The Gipper

Here is a set of Trivia re:   Pro Football Hall of Famers.   Give your try

1. In the past, the NFL has issued uniform numbers between  00 and 0 to 99.   A Hall of Famer has worn every one of these 100 or so numbers except 4 numbers.  Give a guess as to the 4 uniform numbers never worn by a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

2. What school has had the most alumni inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

3. Which current Big Ten school is the ONLY one to have never had a PFHOFer as an alumi?

4. The SEC has 3 schools that have never had a PFHOFer as an alumni.  Name these 3 schools.

5. Which NFL teams have never had someone whose  career primarily was with that team inducted into the PFHOF ?

6. Which NFL team has had the most persons whose career was primarily with that team inducted into the HOF (can include players/owners/coaches/admins)?

7. Give your best guess:  How many Quarterbacks are currently members of the PFHOF?

8. What is the most common last name of a person inducted into the PFHOF?

9. What does this list represent:   Bob Keuchenberg, John Lynch, LC Greenwood, Don Coryell.

10. What does this list represent:  Lynn Swann, Carl Eller, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer, Tom Mack, Willie Wood.

Bonus:   Canton, Ohio is the site of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.   3 natives of Canton are in the HOF.  Name them.

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

1. 49, 22, 0, and 91  No, none of these

2. OSU  No, though they are up there

3. Purdue  No

4. Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, and Toledo Check on Vandy...no on the others...and when did Toledo join the SEC

5. Panthers..They are one....there are 2 others

6. Green Bay  Good guess, not the right one

7. 12  No, way off

8. Brown  Check!

9. All people with 1 syllable first names Ah....no

10. All people whose mothers’ were named Elizabeth  Ah...NO

On 8/24/2019 at 6:23 PM, The Gipper said:

1. In the past, the NFL has issued uniform numbers between  00 and 0 to 99.   A Hall of Famer has worn every one of these 100 or so numbers except 4 numbers.  Give a guess as to the 4 uniform numbers never worn by a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

43 I think I remember being one. I would guess numbers in the 90-99 range and the 50-70 range is where the other three would come from

2. What school has had the most alumni inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

Notre Dame

3. Which current Big Ten school is the ONLY one to have never had a PFHOFer as an alumi?

Rutgers 

4. The SEC has 3 schools that have never had a PFHOFer as an alumni.  Name these 3 schools.

Vandy, Mississippi State, USCe (South Carolina) 

5. Which NFL teams have never had someone whose  career primarily was with that team inducted into the PFHOF ?

Newer franchises will be my guess Jaguars Texans Panthers

6. Which NFL team has had the most persons whose career was primarily with that team inducted into the HOF (can include players/owners/coaches/admins)?

Chicago Bears

7. Give your best guess:  How many Quarterbacks are currently members of the PFHOF?

In the 30's? I'll go with 37

My first instinct is Smith as it's a common last name but I'll go with Allen as there are a lot of good players with last name Allen

9. What does this list represent:   Bob Keuchenberg, John Lynch, LC Greenwood, Don Coryell.

???

10. What does this list represent:  Lynn Swann, Carl Eller, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer, Tom Mack, Willie Wood.

???

Bonus:   Canton, Ohio is the site of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.   3 natives of Canton are in the HOF.  Name them.

Dan Dierdorf, Alan Page, ???

Edit I see now the answer to number 8 is Brown.

43 I think I remember being one. I would guess numbers in the 90-99 range and the 50-70 range is where the other three would come from

43 is correct.  And yes, half of the 4 numbers are in the 90s...and the other is between 50-70

Notre Dame  Check

Rutgers Check

Vandy, Mississippi State, USCe (South Carolina) Check

Newer franchises will be my guess Jaguars Texans Panthers  Check 

Chicago Bears  Check

In the 30's? I'll go with 37  No...but in the 30s.

My first instinct is Smith as it's a common last name but I'll go with Allen as there are a lot of good players with last name Allen  NO

???

???

Dan Dierdorf, Alan Page, ???  These are right.  One other.

Questions left:

1. Besides #43, which other uniform numbers between 0/00 to 99 have not been worn by a HOF player?

9. In respect to Hall of Fame selection, what does this list represent:  Bob Kuechenberg, John Lynch, LC Greenwood, Don Coryell.

10. In respect to Hall of Fame selection, what does this list represent:  Carl Eller, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer, Tom Mack, Lynn Swann, Willie Wood.

Three Canton natives are in the HOF:   Alan Page, Dan Dierdorf......and who else?

Answers:

Numbers  43,  69, 90, 97

Notre Dame  13.  USC 12, Ohio State 10, Michigan 9

Rutgers   Ironic, since they were one of the teams in the first collegiate football game ever in 1869.   the best players to come out of Rutgers are Ray Rice and Devin McCourty.

Mississippi St.   Vanderbilt.   South Carolina        Not sure who the closest have been from these schools.  Maybe Sterling Sharpe  or John Abraham from SC?  Jerry Rice was from Mississippi VALLEY St....not the same.  Hell...from MSU...Dak Prescott may have the best chance in the future....if he really turns out to be something...that he is not now.   And Jay Cutler is probably the best player to come out of Vandy...and he ain't making it.

The new teams...Texans, Jags, Panthers.    Tony Boselli of the Jags has been a finalist before, may still get in.   In the future, the likes of JJ Watt, Luke Keuchley, Cam Newton could get nods for the DATs and Panthers.

Note:  New team Ravens have had players make it:  Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden.

The Chicago Bears  with 28 people.   Next is the Packers with  25. Both have been around since 1920/21.  Browns have 16 people.

There are currently 32.   There will be a few shoe ins to come:  Peyton/Brady/Brees/BR etc.   (Otto only Browns primary.)

Brown: Paul, Jim, Bob, Tim, Willie, Roosevelt.     

There are 4 Taylors and 4 Joneses, and three with the following names:  Davis, Allen, Green, Sanders, Smith, Thomas

These are the people who have been HOF finalists the most times and who have still never gotten in: Keuchenberg  8, Lynch 6, Greenwood 6, Corryell 5

These are the people that had to wait double digit years as finalists...before finally getting in:

Swann 14, Eller 13, Hornung 12, Kramer 11, Mack 11, Wood 10

Dan Dierdorf,  Alan Page, Marion Motley

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Give your best guess:  How many Quarterbacks are currently members of the PFHOF?

There are currently 32.   There will be a few shoe ins to come:  Peyton/Brady/Brees/BR etc.   (Otto only Browns primary.)

After my guess of 37 I went to look up the answers that i didn't know i counted 34 qbs but i did count blanda as a qb (not sure if he got in as kicker or qb or both) 

Edit: I now see Conzelman was a coach as well so if he made it as a coach and blanda as a kicker that would get me to the 32. Is that the correct way of looking at it? 

3 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

After my guess of 37 I went to look up the answers that i didn't know i counted 34 qbs but i did count blanda as a qb (not sure if he got in as kicker or qb or both) 

Edit: I now see Conzelman was a coach as well so if he made it as a coach and blanda as a kicker that would get me to the 32. Is that the correct way of looking at it? 

Well...I counted 32...but I included Blanda.  There may have been some early on guys that were listed as like HB/QB that I may have missed. Conzelman may have been one of those.

37 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well...I counted 32...but I included Blanda.  There may have been some early on guys that were listed as like HB/QB that I may have missed. Conzelman may have been one of those.

Pre-modern era

1.Sammy Baugh (QB) 1937-1952

2.Earl Clark (QB) 1931-1932, 1934-1938

3.Jimmy Conzelman (QB) 1920-1929

4.John Driscoll (QB) 1920-1929

5.Benny Friedman (QB) 1927-1934

6.Arnie Herber (QB) 1930-1940, 1944-1945

7.Sid Luckman (QB) 1939-1950

8.Clarence Parker (QB) 1937-1941, 1945-1946

Modern era

9.Troy Aikman 1989-2000

10.George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975

11.Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983

12.Len Dawson 1957-1975

13.John Elway 1983-1998

14.Brett Favre 1991-2010

15.Dan Fouts 1973-1987

16.Otto Graham 1946-1955

17.Bob Griese 1967-1980

18.Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974

19.Jim Kelly 1986-1996

20.Bobby Layne 1948-1962

21.Dan Marino 1983-1999

22.Joe Montana 1979-1994

23.Warren Moon 1984-2000

24.Joe Namath 1965-1977

25.Ken Stabler 1970-1984

26.Bart Starr 1956-1971

27.Roger Staubach 1969-1979

28.Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978

29.Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964

30.Johnny Unitas 1956-1973

31.Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960

32.Kurt Warner 1998-2009

33.Bob Waterfield 1945-1952

34.Steve Young 1985-1999

Like I said, I may not have counted a couple of those...or I miscounted.  

But there you have the list of HOF QBs.

I did another thread on HOF QBs....ones who will get in that have not yet.

We figured the following:  Peyton, Brady, Brees, Rivers, BR, Eli.......and a few others that maybe could be headed that way  (Wilson, Newton)