THE BROWNS BOARD

Treatment of Bush has been disgrace. Obama up next !

calfoxwc

The Treatment of Bush Has Been a Disgrace

What must our enemies be thinking?By JEFFREY SCOTT SHAPIROArticle

more in Opinion »Email Printer Friendly Share:

Yahoo Buzz facebook MySpace LinkedIn Digg del.icio.us NewsVine StumbleUpon Mixx Text Size

Earlier this year, 12,000 people in San Francisco signed a petition in support of a proposition on a local ballot to rename an Oceanside sewage plant after George W. Bush. The proposition is only one example of the classless disrespect many Americans have shown the president.

APAccording to recent Gallup polls, the president's average approval rating is below 30% -- down from his 90% approval in the wake of 9/11. Mr. Bush has endured relentless attacks from the left while facing abandonment from the right.

This is the price Mr. Bush is paying for trying to work with both Democrats and Republicans. During his 2004 victory speech, the president reached out to voters who supported his opponent, John Kerry, and said, "Today, I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent. To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support, and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust."

Those bipartisan efforts have been met with crushing resistance from both political parties.

The president's original Supreme Court choice of Harriet Miers alarmed Republicans, while his final nomination of Samuel Alito angered Democrats. His solutions to reform the immigration system alienated traditional conservatives, while his refusal to retreat in Iraq has enraged liberals who have unrealistic expectations about the challenges we face there.

It seems that no matter what Mr. Bush does, he is blamed for everything. He remains despised by the left while continuously disappointing the right.

Yet it should seem obvious that many of our country's current problems either existed long before Mr. Bush ever came to office, or are beyond his control. Perhaps if Americans stopped being so divisive, and congressional leaders came together to work with the president on some of these problems, he would actually have had a fighting chance of solving them.

Like the president said in his 2004 victory speech, "We have one country, one Constitution and one future that binds us. And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."

In Opinion Journal Today

REVIEW & OUTLOOK

President-Elect ObamaRead Their LipsThe Latest Charity ShakedownChinese Strait Talk

TODAY'S COLUMNISTS

Business World – Yes, Detroit Can Be FixedThe Tilting Yard – Conservatism Isn't Finished

COMMENTARY

I Vote No Confidence in Congress

-- Harvey GolubWe Need Sustainable Capitalism

-- Al Gore and David BloodThe Treatment of Bush Has Been a Disgrace

-- Jeffrey Scott ShapiroTo be sure, Mr. Bush is not completely alone. His low approval ratings put him in the good company of former Democratic President Harry S. Truman, whose own approval rating sank to 22% shortly before he left office. Despite Mr. Truman's low numbers, a 2005 Wall Street Journal poll found that he was ranked the seventh most popular president in history.

Just as Americans have gained perspective on how challenging Truman's presidency was in the wake of World War II, our country will recognize the hardship President Bush faced these past eight years -- and how extraordinary it was that he accomplished what he did in the wake of the September 11 attacks.

The treatment President Bush has received from this country is nothing less than a disgrace. The attacks launched against him have been cruel and slanderous, proving to the world what little character and resolve we have. The president is not to blame for all these problems. He never lost faith in America or her people, and has tried his hardest to continue leading our nation during a very difficult time.

Our failure to stand by the one person who continued to stand by us has not gone unnoticed by our enemies. It has shown to the world how disloyal we can be when our president needed loyalty -- a shameful display of arrogance and weakness that will haunt this nation long after Mr. Bush has left the White House.

Mr. Shapiro is an investigative reporter and lawyer who previously interned with John F. Kerry's legal team during the presidential election in 2004.

Did this guy say Bush JR was BIPARTISAN? One of the MOST partisan presidents in American history?

Its not the treatment of Bush Jr that has been a disgrace its what Bush Jr. and his administration has done to our Military and country which is a disgrace.

No president since Pollings inception has ever been rated lower. Obama has a steep hill to climb because of Bush jr. putting us behind the 8 ball in the first place. He will be judged by how well he fixes what Bush jr. broke.

Did this guy say Bush JR was BIPARTISAN? One of the MOST partisan presidents in American history?

Its not the treatment of Bush Jr that has been a disgrace its what Bush Jr. and his administration has done to our Military and country which is a disgrace.

No president since Pollings inception has ever been rated lower. Obama has a steep hill to climb because of Bush jr. putting us behind the 8 ball in the first place. He will be judged by how well he fixes what Bush jr. broke.

Hey, Bush is a uniter, not a divider, remember? Give the man credit--by the last few days before the election, even McCain was calling him a screw-up and his former Secretary of State endorsed the guy who has spent two years running against all of his policies.

With regards to judging Obama based on his actions after Bush, I wonder if David Frum will even wait until after the inauguration to blame him for not fixing things sooner. And if there's a terrorist attack, it'll almost certainly be because the terrorists were emboldened by an Obama win, and law enforcement will have already gone into full capitulation mode.

Dennis

Yeah, his own party was beating him over the head during this election and McCain was the ring leader.

Yep, McCain played that wrong IMO.

The stock drop is the only factor that mattered* but the 30% that like Bush are turned off by his parroting of the hatemongers.

Also he forgets that a good portion of those who disapprove of Bush do so from the right.

Recall that even the dems (when they were afraid to sound too dovish) only dared confront Bush on tactics.

He gave away a few minor key issues too.

Immigration could have been a winner, energy could have been a winner, war could have been a winner....

But like they say "if the cat hadn't stopped to shit it woulda got the mouse."

*yes there were others bit that was the main one for the nitpickers

WSS

I wonder what would have happened if, when he suspended his campaign for the bail-out plan, he would have gone back to Washington and said:

"Look, this is important. Cut out the ear marks and pork and pass this thing. Now is not the time to add on unrelated items. THIS is the type of president I will be and here's the example to prove it. I will not tolerate this sloppy way of passing legislation to fix problems. The Mac is back and the buck stops here".

Even if it didn't work, his plea and position would have been spot-on. It would have played to his maverick and moderate appeal for doing what is right for America.

More whining. Choco, you never lost any civil liberties, so don't play the victim game.

I mean, we will have a pres who supports unlimited murder of American unborn and BORN children,

who disses our Consititution, who dishonestly has worked against the 2nd Ammendment,

who is friends with terrorists and criminals and racists...

and YOU are worried about your civil liberties the past almost eight years?

Yep. Liberals are bassackwards in their emoting.

Cause they aren't able to actually THINK.

More whining. Choco, you never lost any civil liberties, so don't play the victim game.

I mean, we will have a pres who supports unlimited murder of American unborn and BORN children,

who disses our Consititution, who dishonestly has worked against the 2nd Ammendment,

who is friends with terrorists and criminals and racists...

and YOU are worried about your civil liberties the past almost eight years?

Yep. Liberals are bassackwards in their emoting.

Cause they aren't able to actually THINK.

How can we consider our own country to be an example for others if we cannot guarantee the civil liberties of those who reside in it? You complain about Obama "dissing the constitution" but to turn a blind eye to violations of liberties goes entirely against the constitution of the United States. What good is a government that cannot obey its own laws?

On the second ammendment: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. "

Anyone who has studied american history or government at any point in their life should realize the influence of John Locke on the founding fathers. Locke's social contract theory states that the people have the authority to overthrow the government should that government break the social contract, and infringe on the people's rights. The well regulated militia as stated in the amendment is for that purpose. I am not anti-gun by any means, they are fun to shoot. But to bash somebody for interpreting it differently than you is just ignorant.

And abortion, it is an individual's issue. It was determined by the supreme court of the united states to be an individual's issue. The government should have no right to interfere with the individuals medical treatment.

And for the other stuff, well, John McCain's money on smear ads wasn't entirely wasted.

Obama voted to require a $500 gun registration fee, and a ban on ALL ammo, and voted to make using a gun in self-defense in one's own home illegal.

Obama voted to allow ALL abortion, including partial birth abortion and voted to deny medical care to infants who survive

abortion attempts, or who are just not wanted.

Those infants are left to die all alone, in closets.

Thought you libs were AGAINST torture?

When is your date when a mother can no longer murder her child? 3 days? A month? A year?

Obama voted to require a $500 gun registration fee, and a ban on ALL ammo, and voted to make using a gun in self-defense in one's own home illegal.

Obama voted to allow ALL abortion, including partial birth abortion and voted to deny medical care to infants who survive

When is your date when a mother can no longer murder her child? 3 days? A month? A year?

So let's get this straight - he voted to support abortion rights of mothers, the same rights that the united states supreme court found to be constitutional.

While abortion isn't pleasant, the government should not be allowed to trample those rights.

It is not your business what people decide to do in their own personal lives. It does not effect you negatively. It should be left between a woman and her physician. And those children who were able to survive outside of the mother's womb would not be left to die in closets. For you see, there is a thing called the Hippocratic Oath that physicians take that requires them to help those they can.

I wonder what would have happened if, when he suspended his campaign for the bail-out plan, he would have gone back to Washington and said:

"Look, this is important. Cut out the ear marks and pork and pass this thing. Now is not the time to add on unrelated items. THIS is the type of president I will be and here's the example to prove it. I will not tolerate this sloppy way of passing legislation to fix problems. The Mac is back and the buck stops here".

Even if it didn't work, his plea and position would have been spot-on. It would have played to his maverick and moderate appeal for doing what is right for America.

I don't think it would have worked and it hasn't been until NOW that the bailout's getting attacked.

The original idea is that it was a necessary and bipartisan step.

And I do think yours is the correct position but there isn't a politician who can resist taking a few bites of pork as the tray gets passed.

The left would ballhoo McCains failure to lead if he proposed that and it flopped.

WSS

I'm confused by this thread...does this mean that Cal is going to stop being so fair, balanced, and literate in his principled criticism of Obama?

Dennis

Confuse this:

Given my stated expectation of opportunity and reciprocity, I am going to start now.

If, others do not join me with malice and eh... whatever... at such point in time,

I will, albeit slowly, with great restraint, gradually revert to angry caveman verbal typie-typie. Seriously. @@

Let's see how it goes.

Guest Aloysius
Okay, Al. That was pretty good. I don't get it, but that was good.
Glad you enjoyed it, Cal. This one has a clearer, more positive message:

Nas, "I Can"

The next time Bill O'Reilly or some right-wing blogger tells you that Nas is evil incarnate, remember this vid.

Cal, this isn't Candid Camera, nor is it some psychology thesis you're finally clueing everybody in on. This is about your complete inability to refrain from being an ass the past two months.

There was a time on this board (for me at least) when "cal" wasn't an adjective.

Glad you enjoyed it, Cal. This one has a clearer, more positive message:

Nas, "I Can"

The next time Bill O'Reilly or some right-wing blogger tells you that Nas is evil incarnate, remember this vid.

Very excellent. I can see that Obama being the new pres adds to this terrific message.

That's inspiring. Hey, never heard of it before. Just a computer guy and farmer. I get it now !

Archived