THE BROWNS BOARD

Top remaining FAs

CIMO.

per Chad Ford

1. David Lee, Knicks (RFA)

Teams interested: Knicks, Blazers, Thunder

Salary range: $8-10 million per year

Lee is a double-double machine who has become a favorite among New York fans and coaches around the league. The Knicks have a goal of clearing cap space for 2010, meaning they might not be in a position to match a substantial offer sheet. So Lee is the rare top-notch restricted free agent whom an opposing team might be able to steal away. At least in theory. The Grizzlies flirted with making him an offer but then backed away. The Blazers also have toyed with the idea but haven't pulled the trigger.

2. Paul Millsap, Jazz (RFA)

Teams interested: Jazz, Thunder, Blazers

Salary range: $8-10 million per year

With Carlos Boozer out for most of this past season, Millsap proved he has the potential to be an All-Star power forward. He is unstoppable on the boards and can put the ball in the basket. Detroit, Memphis and Oklahoma City were all potentially interested, but no one has made him an offer. The Blazers are the latest suitors and are reportedly putting together a "toxic" offer that the Jazz won't want to match. The Jazz want to bring him back. But because Boozer hasn't opted out of his contract, there's a small chance the Jazz won't be able to match another team's offer to Millsap, especially if it's a huge offer of $10 million-plus per year. If Millsap can't get that offer, he may have to settle for less to play in Utah or, alternatively, take the one-year qualifying offer and become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2010.

3. Lamar Odom, Lakers (UFA)

Teams interested: Lakers, Cavs

Salary range: $6-8 million per year

Odom is one of the most interesting free agents on the open market. With Kobe, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum on L.A.'s roster, the Lakers don't desperately need him, especially now that they've spent $33 million on Ron Artest. Still, Odom is a great team guy who can rebound and initiate the offense, and he doesn't need the ball to be effective. He wants a lot of money to stay with the Lakers, but if they won't pay it, who will? He may have to settle for the midlevel exception if he can't make a deal with L.A.

4. Andre Miller, Sixers (UFA)

Teams interested: Sixers, Blazers, Pacers

Salary range: $5.5-7 million per year

At age 33, Miller is coming off two of the best seasons of his career. Can the Sixers afford to lose him? Some GM who needs a veteran point guard will be willing to gamble on Miller this summer if he gives up his $10 million per season demands.

5. Marvin Williams, Hawks (RFA)

Teams interested: Hawks, ???

Salary range: $5.5-7 million per year

Williams has as much raw talent as anyone else in the draft class of 2005, but he has been frustratingly inconsistent in his first four seasons with the Hawks. Williams has struggled to receive any offers from a team because rival GMs are convinced the Hawks will match. Although he probably will stay in Atlanta, he hasn't played well enough to earn anything close to the $60-64 million, five-year contract that fellow '05 classmate Danny Granger signed this past fall.

6. Raymond Felton, Bobcats (RFA)

Teams interested: Bobcats, Sixers

Salary range: $5-6 million per year

Felton has been looking over his shoulder at Larry Brown's young protégé, D.J. Augustin, who performed well enough as a rookie that it's unlikely the Bobcats would match a big offer sheet for Felton. Felton can dish out assists, but his poor shooting has hampered his career. If the Bobcats can get Felton for the midlevel exception, I think they'll keep him. Given that all the money has really dried up out there, I think his return to the Bobcats is likely.

7. Josh Childress, Hawks (RFA)

Teams interested: Bucks, Pacers

Salary range: $4-6 million per year

Childress shocked many in the NBA by deciding to bolt for Greece last summer. He'll likely be back in the NBA eventually, but it's unclear whether he'll decide to return in the fall. However, with bad blood lingering over how his negotiations went with Atlanta last summer, he probably won't return to the Hawks, even though they still hold his rights.

8. Ramon Sessions, Bucks (RFA)

Teams interested: Bucks, Warriors, Heat, Blazers, Pacers, Rockets

Salary range: $4-6 million per year

Teams are always in pursuit of point guards, especially ones who won't break the bank, and Sessions has caught the eye of a number of teams. With the Bucks struggling financially, they may not be able to match an offer.

9. Allen Iverson, Pistons (UFA)

Teams interested: Grizzlies, Bobcats, Bulls, Heat

Salary range: $3-5 million per year

Iverson's late-season disappearance didn't help his reputation. He's still a good player, but two nagging questions will hurt his case for a big deal: One, with the exception of that magical season in Philly under Larry Brown, is Iverson a winner? Two, does he have much left? The answer to the first question seems to be no. The answer to the second question seems to be a qualified yes. The Grizzlies seem to have the most interest at the moment, with owner Michael Heisley pondering whether to offer Iverson a one-year, $5 million deal.

10. Nate Robinson, Knicks (RFA)

Teams interested: Knicks, Kings

The Knicks probably can't afford to keep Robinson as they try to re-sign David Lee and clear cap space for LeBron James (and/or others). Look for Sacramento, among other teams, to make a run at him, especially after the Kings made a big play for him at the trade deadline.

11. Jarrett Jack, Pacers (RFA)

Teams interested: Pacers, Sixers, Warriors

Salary range: $3-4 million per year

Jack beat out T.J. Ford for the Pacers' starting point guard position at the end of the season. He might get offers in the range of the midlevel exception, and it's not clear whether the Pacers can afford to re-sign him.

12. Linas Kleiza, Nuggets (RFA)

Teams interested: Nuggets, Knicks, Cavs, Raptors

Kleiza is an up-and-coming forward who drew a lot of interest at the trade deadline. He's physical and can score and should land a deal around the midlevel exception.

13. Glen Davis, Celtics (RFA)

Teams interested: Celtics, Pistons

Davis might be expendable now that the Celtics have signed Rasheed Wallace. Still, teams are wary of giving him an offer sheet on the off chance that the Celtics could match.

14. Grant Hill, Suns (UFA)

Teams interested: Suns, Knicks, Celtics

Hill is mulling offers from both the Suns and Knicks. The Suns provide a more stable situation, but the Knicks look to be offering more money. That's a little bizarre considering where the Knicks are in their developmental process … but you know Mike D'Antoni loves his former Suns players.

15. Brandon Bass, Mavericks (UFA)

Teams interested: Mavericks, Pistons, Magic, Blazers

Salary range: $2.5-4 million per year

Bass is big, athletic and still pretty young. All that is appealing to teams that need size and can get Bass for less than the midlevel exception. I think the Pistons are in the lead for his services at the moment.

16. Channing Frye, Blazers (UFA)

Teams interested: Suns, Cavs, Nuggets

Frye has been a somewhat popular free agent for a few reasons: He's big, young, unrestricted and should come cheap. The contest for his services seems to be down to the Cavs and Blazers.

17. Marquis Daniels, Pacers (UFA)

Teams interested: Pacers, Rockets, Mavericks

Daniels is coming off one of the best seasons of his career. He's 28, in the prime of his career and really could help a team coming off the bench. He just has to come to grips with the fact that he won't make $7 million a year anymore.

18. Drew Gooden, Spurs (UFA)

Teams interested: ???

Gooden's situation has been surprisingly quiet. He's big, talented and still pretty young. But he has a bad rep around the league and can't seem to find a home.

19. Joe Smith, Cavs (UFA)

Teams interested: Cavs, Magic, Hornets

Salary range: $2-4 million per year

Smith continues to be a solid low-post option off the bench, especially for a title contender.

20. Chris Wilcox, Knicks (UFA)

Teams interested: Wizards

Wilcox has enormous athletic ability and is still relatively young. However, he's struggling to find a team willing to give him big bucks.

21. Hakim Warrick, Grizzlies (RFA)

Teams interested: Grizzlies, ???

Warrick has talent, and a number of teams would target him if he weren't a restricted free agent. The Grizzlies won't match a huge offer, but I don't think anyone is inclined to give him one anyway.

22. Rasho Nesterovic, Pacers (UFA)

Teams interested: Spurs, Rockets, Magic

Nesterovic may have lost a step or two, but he's still a pretty effective post man, especially on the offensive end. For a team that is thin at center, he could be a really nice addition to play 15 to 20 minutes a night.

23. Rashad McCants, Kings (UFA)

Teams interested: ??

McCants doesn't have the world's greatest off-the-court rep, but on the court, he's still an excellent scorer with deep range on his jump shot.

24. Ike Diogu, Kings (UFA)

Teams interested: Kings

Diogu has battled injuries and struggled to crack the rotation in Golden State, Indiana, Portland and Sacramento. But when he has played, he has shown a knack for scoring the basketball. Teams won't spend much on him, but he has a skill that is in demand.

25. Carlos Delfino, Raptors (RFA)

Teams interested: ??

Delfino has great size for his position, can shoot the basketball and should come cheaply now that the Raptors have spent all of their money on Hedo Turkoglu.

Other unrestricted notables: Leon Powe, Celtics; Sean May, Bobcats; Ronald Murray, Hawks; Stromile Swift, Nets; Robert Swift, Thunder; Keith Bogans, Bucks; Johan Petro, Nuggets; Bobby Jackson, Kings; Luther Head, Heat; Rodney Carney, Wolves; Cedric Simmons, Kings; Damon Jones, Bucks; Desmond Mason, Thunder; Chris Mihm, Grizzlies; Gerald Green, Mavericks; Wally Szczerbiak, Cavs; Jason Collins, Timberwolves; Jarron Collins, Jazz; Shelden Williams, Wolves; Stephon Marbury, Celtics; Mikki Moore, Celtics; Juwan Howard, Bobcats; Joey Graham, Raptors; Maceo Baston, Pacers; Rob Kurz, Warriors; Morris Almond, Jazz.

If we can get Odom for the midlevel, that would be huge and could really put us back on the level with LA. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

I'd love Marvin Williams and/or Hakim Warrick, but it seems like those teams will end up matching any offer. Marquis Daniels would be pretty fantastic guard depth, about 6'6 and can run the point, like a (very) poor man's LeBron.

Frye, Bass and Diogu would all be pretty good forward depth. Not thrilled about Linas Kleiza, I think I'd rather have McCants.

So, just to show people like me there's still plenty of options and no need to panic yet.

Millsap looks to be going to POR for 4/32M, while the Lakers seem to be dicking around with Odom (he wants 8 per, Lakers offering 6).

Why not have gone after either of these guys instead of Varejao?

Millsap looks to be going to POR for 4/32M, while the Lakers seem to be dicking around with Odom (he wants 8 per, Lakers offering 6).

Why not have gone after either of these guys instead of Varejao?

We're over the salary cap. We're allowed to re-sign our own players (including Varejao) for any amount, but can't pay free agents more than the midlevel exception, about $5.6M.

As for Wally and Joe Smith... I want Smith but wouldnt mind keeping both.

I still can't see any reason for bringing back Wally for anything other than the veteran minimum. Joe, eh...wouldn't really care either way.

Lakers offered four years at 9.3 per or 3 at 10 per... a great offer... and he didn't even respond. They pulled the offer and they're pretty serious that it will go down. I think Odom's agent really blew this one, because word from the Lakers and Odom's friends is that he wanted to take it.

He may pull an Ariza, leaving Title Town for irrelevance. I'd LOVE to see him in Cleveland, but we don't even have our full exception left. Just 3.2 mill, I think.

The Mavs and somebody else are offering less than the Lakers. What a buffoon his agent is making of himself.

Ahhh, didn't see we already had an Odom thread.

Seems like a great fit to me.

Zombo

The Raptors signed Jarret Jack, too. College roommates and supposedly best friends with Bosh. He's definitely overpaying (Turkoglu, Calderon, and Bargnani will all make about $10M/year), but I really think Colangelo knows what he's doing and will hang onto Bosh. Not like the Raps of the 90s.

Like I've said, I can't stand Turkoglu and seeing how fast he bailed on an NBA Finals team makes him look even worse. I understand him wanting to get the big money, but he's not a guy I want on my team, and I'm sure Vince will be a fine replacement for Orlando.

I'd still love to give the rest of our exception to Marquis Daniels. Gives us depth for PG, SG, and SF. Great insurance policy, and he's good enough to start.

Windhorst is reporting our target now is Rob Kurz, which might be okay unless we're playing Denver in the finals.

Turkoglu, Bosh, and Bargnani? Can't agree with you, Zombo. Rumor is Bosh loves the city and wants to stay. They might be one of the big surprise teams next year. Turkoglu was a HUGE loss for the Magic. He's a "straw that stirs" player.

I'm assuming Bosh is leaving and was as surprised as hell Turk went there.

They never seem to get any momentum going up there as soon as they put together some talent, a large portion of it it ships out. We'll see if that changes now.

Zombo

The Cleveland Cavaliers have continued their offseason remodeling by signing restricted free agent Jamario Moon to an offer sheet, according to NBA front-office sources.

Although the full details of the offer sheet are unlikely to be known until Monday, when the contract is submitted to the league office, sources told ESPN.com that the deal Moon signed Friday spans at least two years.

The Miami Heat will have seven days to match the offer once it's formally processed, but Cleveland would appear to have a good chance of landing Moon given Miami's well-chronicled desire to avoid new contracts longer than one year to protect its 2010 salary-cap space.

There are exceptions to that policy, as evidenced by Miami's well-chronicled attempts to sign Lamar Odom away from the Los Angeles Lakers. The Heat, though, have multiple players at Moon's position -- Daequan Cook, James Jones and Yakhouba Diawara -- even if they don't land Odom, raising doubts about their ability to keep him.

http://mvn.com/cavalierattitude/2009/07/br...ffer-sheet.html

Yes, please.

Nice video clip! He can dunk good, god i hope he can defend and make some shots.

He's not Bruce Bowen, but a pretty good defender in the Josh Smith mold...weak-side blocks, intercepting passes. With his length and athleticism, Mike Brown better be able to make him work.

And this from Windhorst's twitter about the signability...

#Cavs are poaching here at bit, Heat protecting cap space and have an offer out to Lamar Odom. Cavs have a fair shot at success with it.

Archived