THE BROWNS BOARD

I need a lil help wth the NFL's "new math"....

Tour2ma

OK... so with a Pick at stake I'm watching the end of the CHI @ DNV game...

CHI's up 13-6...

Somehow Flacco drives DNV for a score to make it 13-12 and DNV decides to go for 2 and "the win", but before they can snap the "try"... they get flagged for "delay of game.

Officials explain that they can either...

1. go for 2 from the 7-yd line.... or...
  2. kick the extra point from the 20 (5-yd further away from the usual spot on the 15).

DNV chooses the latter... BUT now CHI jumps offside and the officials present the following options to DNV....

1. They can kick the point from the 15 (20 - 5 = 15... so far so good).... or... (and here is where the new math comes in)...
  2. They can go for 2 after a half-the-distance step off from the 1-yd line????

Wait! What?

It's half the distance from the 2, where they started before the delay of game on them??? Not half the distance from the 7-yd line, where they'd have had to go for for 2 following the delay penalty???

Can someone explain this to me?

In the end it mattered not to CHI as DNV made the try to go ahead by 2 (14-13), but CHI came back to kick a game-winning FG (after a very questionable time out was awarded them putting one second back on the clock).

But ironically it could have mattered to DNV as had they only tied the game, CHI might not have been so nothing-to-lose aggressive moving the ball in the final 30 seconds into FG range... they very well might have settled for OT... in which case the tie was very likely given the Offensive turds both teams laid for 60 minutes.

34 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

It is not surprising because sometimes it seems that the refs don't have a clue....or they just make up shit as they go along.

Or they don't make up shit by ignoring the obvious (see NO vs Rams in the playoffs).😱

BTW they called back a NO fumble return for a TD because an idiot blew a whistle rather than let it play out and then make the real call. They did give it to NO on the fumble that was ruled an incomplete pass, but only around their own 15 or so instead of the TD runback. Since Brees got injured early anyway it made no real difference in the final outcome. But it could have.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Since Brees got injured early anyway it made no real difference in the final outcome. But it could have.

I think it was even more important given Brees' injury... a real lift for the entire team.

Plus it would have put NO up 10-3 in a (to that point) hard fought, defensive struggle. No telling how that would have impacted the Rams' playcalling, etc...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Or they don't make up shit by ignoring the obvious (see NO vs Rams in the playoffs).😱

BTW they called back a NO fumble return for a TD because an idiot blew a whistle rather than let it play out and then make the real call. They did give it to NO on the fumble that was ruled an incomplete pass, but only around their own 15 or so instead of the TD runback. Since Brees got injured early anyway it made no real difference in the final outcome. But it could have.

Well, these things too, but I attribute these really to just fuckups, not to them just making up rules as they go along.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think it was even more important given Brees' injury... a real lift for the entire team.

Plus it would have put NO up 10-3 in a (to that point) hard fought, defensive struggle. No telling how that would have impacted the Rams' playcalling, etc...

Momentum is definitely a thing in football. NO got screwed again.

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Brees has ligament damage in his thumb that will now require surgery. Damn he was my best player in FFL. That being said if Seibert can just kick 3 FG's tonight without OBJ, Chubb or Bell scoring TD's, I win the weekend. Yes, I'm saying there's a chance despite zero points from Brees.😂👍 Stop laughing and snorting your coffee dammit!😎 I'd be happy to take a 9-6 win!!😁

I got a math solution to replay 🤓..doubt it happens, cause it's now a suits game.. but i hope the players union puts a kabash to all replays :o upcoming leagues new contract..add 2 of them so called review experts (Collinsworth too) to the 7 man crews on the field..Play stands except for knee down & feet down are still review-able..Kabash the rest of it...than Fire Dean Blandino's as$ sooner than later.. every time he's asked about a ruling? his response is "uh maybe". Your a Executive that only answers questions by adding more subtitle rules to rules that nobody watching needs.. And fine your f'n Ref's that teams receive sorry letters on..  Even review is humans full with same mistakes we've watched since "let's go to NY".. Kick it..it's now failing it's purpose..