THE BROWNS BOARD

Davis signed

ballpeen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...th-james-davis/

Browns strike deal with James Davis

Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 10, 2009 7:45 PM

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms with sixth-round running back James Davis on a four-year contract worth $1.85 million, according to a league source.

The deal includes a $99,250 signing bonus for the former Clemson standout.

Davis rushed for 3,984 career yards and 47 touchdowns. He also caught 51 career passes for 526 yards and two touchdowns.

Last season, Davis rushed for 751 yards and 11 touchdowns.

As a sophomore, Davis rushed for a career-high 1,219 yards and 17 touchdowns. He gained 1,101 yards and scored 10 touchdowns as a junior.

Davis fumbled just twice in 805 career carries.

Davis attended the same Atlanta high school (Douglass) that Browns starting running back Jamal Lewis graduated from.

I found this in "roto times?

[James Davis, RB, Cleveland Browns Friday 7/10, 7:10 PM CT

Sixth-round pick James Davis has signed a four-year deal with the Browns worth $1.85MM, according to ProFootballTalk.com.

Our View: Davis will compete with Jerome Harrison for the primary backup role at running back behind veteran starter Jamal Lewis. Davis is a well-built rusher with the speed to get outside, but needs to improve his power and toughness to survive in the NFL, and develop into anything more than a complementary player.

** Usually we seem to wait until the day or two before camp. I am glad to see a change to try to get guys signed earlier. There have been many players in the 4th 5th 6th and 7th round signed around the league.. a couple 3rds and maybe only 1 in the second round.. but the scale has been established for the lower round players.. Lets hope we can get EVERYONE in on time so it does not hurt the team. right Brady?

"Davis fumbled just twice in 805 career carries." :huh:

I wonder how many of us can count that high (out loud) w/o messing up more than that.

At least he's not likely to be giving away very many games.

Guest Aloysius
"Davis fumbled just twice in 805 career carries." :huh:

I wonder how many of us can count that high (out loud) w/o messing up more than that.

At least he's not likely to be giving away very many games.

Unfortunately, I don't think that stat is accurate.

Davis fumbled at least three times in '08. One scouting report has the number at four:

Tendency to Fumble

Davis did not have fumbling issues until his senior year. He has the large hands and strong upper body frame to protect the ball, but most of his fumbles (four) came when he failed to distribute the ball away from the defender when trying to bounce wide or when he got too erect punching the ball up the middle (ball was exposed). He just seemed to be a little careless running through traffic in 2008 (see The Citadel, Georgia Tech and Nebraska games)…GRADE-5.6

Guest Aloysius
Saw this, uh... somewhere:

Davis has made a favorable impression early on in his rookie season, leading one AFC North front office exec to proclaim that the Browns got a "steal" in drafting him in the sixth round. While Davis struggled in a weak Clemson offense in 2008, he was widely considered to be a first-day pick going into that season.

Here's a TFY Draft article from June '08 on the big scouting services' RB rankings:

Many feel one of the best decisions of any junior earlier this year was the one James Davis made. The Clemson junior originally declared for the draft but took advantage of the NFL's window of opportunity and withdrew his application. Davis presently rates as National Scouting's top back and was given a grade which amounts to a late first round/early second round pick. Blesto thinks Davis is almost a round and a half less talented and assigned him a mid third round grade.

So if he succeeds as a rookie and does more than run the ball, will he hold out for a better deal next year?

Rookie contracts are pretty much based on your draft position so I can see a redo after a few years to be compensated for what you have done for the team (like they did for Cribbs). But, once you have a new contract done don't come back in two years and say you outplayed it also, ala Cribbs.

Archived