THE BROWNS BOARD

ANYBODY WATCH UFC 100?

Riffer X

Whatever you say. You must be the real expert, LMAO.

Oh come on man, that was a decent post by Thaak. Brock is more than just strength. Mir is absolutely no slouch, and if Brock was one dimensional he'd never survive against Frank Mir. Now Fedor is another matter. I don't think Brock can take him.

Fedor will end Lesner.

Well as someone else said he better do it now before Lesnar gets any better. I think Fedor walks around about 220-225lbs. -that's a 50+ pound disadvantage. If Lesnar was in his guard he may pull off another sick armbar for his highlight reel but I think his best bet is to avoid the ground with him altogether. He's slick enough to catch Brock if he can get inside. Randleman was nowhere near as massive as Brock but he showed his durability in their fight and that his attacks can nullify opponents strengths. If Brock gets a hold of him though it could be bad, and if he can trap him somehow against the cage (like he did Mir) or trap an arm (or two, also like he did Mir) it may be curtains for Fedor's 30 fight win streak.

This past fight Brock unveiled his attempt at low leg kicks. No one really knew he had them, but now people will begin to key off them and try to catch him, test his jaw. He was better off just keeping to his feet, pawing at opponents open-handed. Just maintaining distance until his opening to rush them and put them on their backs, take them into deep water. Now he opened a big door for Fedor or someone else to climb through. Maybe someone like Cain Velasquez. All in all though he had a good game plan for Mir. All those guys are too small. You gotta be over 250lbs to even consider Lesnar (unless you're Fedor the Borg of course).

Oh come on man, that was a decent post by Thaak. Brock is more than just strength. Mir is absolutely no slouch, and if Brock was one dimensional he'd never survive against Frank Mir. Now Fedor is another matter. I don't think Brock can take him.

Mir would annihilate a 245lb Lesnar, and a 285lb Mir would hopefully have a better gameplan, also resulting in probable annihilation. Sure he can get you to the ground with his wrestling, but he's just big. A huge, monster-beast bear-mauling giant of a man.

And sorry but thinking the Texas Crazy Horse is a good striker removed the majority of the credibility from Thaak's post for me. I wrestled in HS, in Junior High and College too and it still doesn't make Brock look any more "skillful" to me, even with his modified head/arm triangle to front head-lock, head-butting cheap-shotting ass.

Mir would annihilate a 245lb Lesnar, and a 285lb Mir would hopefully have a better gameplan, also resulting in probable annihilation. Sure he can get you to the ground with his wrestling, but he's just big. A huge, monster-beast bear-mauling giant of a man.

And sorry but thinking the Texas Crazy Horse is a good striker removed the majority of the credibility from Thaak's post for me. I wrestled in HS, in Junior High and College too and it still doesn't make Brock look any more "skillful" to me, even with his modified head/arm triangle to front head-lock, head-butting cheap-shotting ass.

Seriously? Texas Crazy Horse was well known as a good striker in Pride. Now I didn't watch much Pride, because I thought the UFC and K1 fights were better (Hell I thought IFL was better). So I had to take the announcers words for it. Rogan doesn't usually blow smoke up people's asses, so I trust his assessment. As a matter of fact, Texas Crazy Horse only had striking in his game. Take him to the ground and he's done.

Good god.... I never thought I would see a mma post this involved on this board.

Greg is on the money about Brock size... the UFC basically needs a super heavyweight class. I dont think Brock is a skilled MMA fighter by a long mile YET.

Because he is so much larger in strength and weight right now that his oponents and 20-40 pounds is a huge advantage in terms of strength he is getting by.

there are some other definate super heavyweights I mentioned earlier that can negate his size advantage.

I really dont think Fedor is the answer for brock, Barnett yes, and a few others... its the size and strength advantage that the UFC needs to address by creating a super heavyweight class.

Lesner just seems unnaturally huge. He certainly is limited as far as skill set is concerned, but he's progressing very quickly.

Mir is a tough dude. His Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is awesome. Lesner tossed him around like a rag doll.

Fedor will break Lesner if they ever fight though.

I'm excited for 101, with Silva-Griffin. I'm a huge Griffin fan, but Anderson Silva is just inhuman. Should be a good match.

And after that, hopefully we can see GSP-Silva:

"The win also fueled talk of a potential St. Pierre vs. Anderson Silva match, where St. Pierre would move up to face the middleweight champion in an attempt to do what Penn failed to do in this fight – to become the first dual weight-class champion in the history of UFC.

White said he didn’t see doing that fight immediately, but if both fighters continue to win, he talked of it as a match he would like to put together, perhaps in 2010."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AhIr...o&type=lgns

Seriously? Texas Crazy Horse was well known as a good striker in Pride. Now I didn't watch much Pride, because I thought the UFC and K1 fights were better (Hell I thought IFL was better). So I had to take the announcers words for it. Rogan doesn't usually blow smoke up people's asses, so I trust his assessment. As a matter of fact, Texas Crazy Horse only had striking in his game. Take him to the ground and he's done.

You're not missing much Thaak, Heath Herring is on par with Eddie Sanchez if you are familiar with him. Sanchez made Cro-Cop's UFC initiation a fairly easy transition, but hey, he tried. Both of those guys excell in the heart department, real tough guys that won't give up. Like a Seth Petruzelli level fighter (the guy who KO'd Kimbo), well rounded in several disciplines but none of their tools are really all that sharp.

Rogan had only seen Heath in a ring and against lesser opponents (in my opinion) in Pride but those fights were wars. With limited background info he had little to hype him up with, Rogan is a hype man after all. If Heath had no ground defense it would have been Big Nog's gameplan to keep it on the ground the entire time. In fact, Heath actually escaped from Minotauro on the ground several times.

@ Sev: Barnett is intriguing. He has that shoulder that likes to pop out on him under big stress though and Lesnar's trainers would undoubtedly research that. What an ugly sight that would be for Lesnar to be wrenching on that sucker and pull it loose in the middle of the melee. Yuck!!

For Barnett maybe just sticking leg kicks and moving/running for a round, xxxx up the knee of Brock's lead leg, take away his shot. But it's not even a double leg...his takedown is VIOLENT!! Would that be enough to slow him down? Could you keep him at bay long enough to jack his knee up sufficiently? Big ass mofo....

You're not missing much Thaak, Heath Herring is on par with Eddie Sanchez if you are familiar with him. Sanchez made Cro-Cop's UFC initiation a fairly easy transition, but hey, he tried. Both of those guys excell in the heart department, real tough guys that won't give up. Like a Seth Petruzelli level fighter (the guy who KO'd Kimbo), well rounded in several disciplines but none of their tools are really all that sharp.

Rogan had only seen Heath in a ring and against lesser opponents (in my opinion) in Pride but those fights were wars. With limited background info he had little to hype him up with, Rogan is a hype man after all. If Heath had no ground defense it would have been Big Nog's gameplan to keep it on the ground the entire time. In fact, Heath actually escaped from Minotauro on the ground several times.

@ Sev: Barnett is intriguing. He has that shoulder that likes to pop out on him under big stress though and Lesnar's trainers would undoubtedly research that. What an ugly sight that would be for Lesnar to be wrenching on that sucker and pull it loose in the middle of the melee. Yuck!!

For Barnett maybe just sticking leg kicks and moving/running for a round, xxxx up the knee of Brock's lead leg, take away his shot. But it's not even a double leg...his takedown is VIOLENT!! Would that be enough to slow him down? Could you keep him at bay long enough to jack his knee up sufficiently? Big ass mofo....

Good assessment on Herring. He has some impressive names on his resume: Fedor, Cro Cop, Minotauro, etc. As a fighter, I don't think he has a huge ceiling.

This was funny as hell though.

I didn't even know Heath fought Fedor. How did that go? I already know the outcome, obviously but could you tell what Heath was trying to do, what his gameplan might have been? I'll search it later, it's gotta be out there somewhere.

By the 3rd Nogeira fight he was looking pretty good, but I think it's more from experience fighting him two other times than anything else. He's big but not a hulk and doesn't have that crazy athlete speed, know what I mean? So I agree he's probably peeked and now people with higher ceilings are passing him by.

Anybody see that Jon Bones Jones fight? It still won't play where I watch them, I heard it was another really good one though. Now that guy has that elite athleticism and gymnastic-looking-springiness to make him look like the sky's the limit. In his UFC debut he annihilated Stephen Bonner like it was breakfast. It wasn't scary, just so fast it was actually hard to follow. I look forward to his potentially future matches with GSP and Anderson Silva that will probably take place several years down the road.

I didn't even know Heath fought Fedor. How did that go? I already know the outcome, obviously but could you tell what Heath was trying to do, what his gameplan might have been? I'll search it later, it's gotta be out there somewhere.

About that clip, yeah he knocked that dude straight tfo for playing kissy-face. lol Sent a message to every fighter in the world too. He's big on respect.

By the 3rd Nogeira fight he was looking pretty good, but I think it's more from experience fighting him two other times than anything else. He's big but not a hulk and doesn't have that crazy athlete speed, know what I mean? So I agree he's probably peeked and now people with higher ceilings are passing him by.

Anybody see that Jon Bones Jones fight? It still won't play where I watch them, I heard it was another really good one though. Now that guy has that elite athleticism and gymnastic-looking-springiness to make him look like the sky's the limit. In his UFC debut he annihilated Stephen Bonner like it was breakfast. It wasn't scary, just so fast it was actually hard to follow. I look forward to his potential future matches with GSP and Anderson Silva that will probably take place several years down the road.

Hey Greg, thanks for the PM you are a great new addition.

After seeing the Mir fight something has to be done about the weight classes, no question. Mir was primed for that fight and couldn't do anything. I'm not taking away from Lesnar either, the guy can fight, but come on man.

I don't want to see this sport go to shit in the heavy class. Make a 245 or 250 and over class or something. The sport has evolved into such a well rounded game to be successful and that fight just crapped on everything it's worked to be.

Fedor will mess Brock up, especially after having this fight to go by, but it needs to happen before he gets too much older. I'm not a MMA guru like some of you guys but do you realize there are huge fans that have no idea how much of a badass Fedor is? That's what killed me about the Kimbo hype too, people were talking about him that had no clue about the real fighters who have busted their ass to become what they are and make the sport what it is.

I got into the sport with the advent of the TV show. It was a little too violent for me before that and I was a fan of the sweet science my whole life. However, it didn't take long for me to appreciate the discipline and chess match tactics needed to be successful. I predicted then it would overtake boxing in popularity and it has, no doubt. Let's just hope it stays true and retains the sportsmanship and respect that's made it anti wrestling and boxing. What did Mir possibly say outside of some pre fight hype that deserved that type of behavior by Brock? Frank got pummeled bad by a much bigger man and then totally disrespected. This is a guy who has done a ton for the sport and its rep, including being a top notch commentator and coach. He's the smart man's heavy with a ton of skills and he just got bludgeoned by a giant that completely took away his whole game by laying on him. Pretty ridiculous really, and I don't hate Brock whatsoever, he's worked really hard to get where he's at and been a fast learner.

Give me a Fedor-Lesnar fight and then add another weight class.

Guest 88fingerslewy
Also...I am disappointed that St. Pierre won that fight. I can't stand that guy. I do respect him though, as a fighter. He is definitely a great fighter. But, I can't wait to see Anderson Silva get his hands on him though.

What don't you like about him? Can't stand the guy?....strong feelings for a spectator, does he owe you money? Or are you a big Matt Hughes, Matt Serra, BJ Penn, Jon Fitch fan. He's giving away 4 inches to Silva. If GSP wants to hold 2 belts he should go down, not up.

I want Shane Carwin who is just as big and is 11-0, has the NCAA div 2 wrestling history so Brock wont exactly have size edge or wrestling... Carwin is a MONSTER who has bigger hands than Lesnar.

Greg You are right on the Money with Jon Jones after his fight with Bonnar I was SERIOUSLY impressed, I am pretty sure in that fight he used a wing chun kick and used some Judo leverage throws along with some good Boxing skills along with a core freestyle wrestling technique.....

That guy has some serious skill set and he is a beginner..... He starts with the BJJ he is going to be one tough opponent and EXCITING he has some serious spring in his movements.

You are dead on about Herring and Sanchez greg. I completely agree with you about rogan too. Rogan is a hype man and he is not going to talk down a fighter. Thats just bad business. Barnett is intriguing, but I think that unless barnett can enforce his game plan thoroughly for an entire fight that he gets tooled by Brock.

What don't you like about him? Can't stand the guy?....strong feelings for a spectator, does he owe you money? Or are you a big Matt Hughes, Matt Serra, BJ Penn, Jon Fitch fan. He's giving away 4 inches to Silva. If GSP wants to hold 2 belts he should go down, not up.

Honestly? I'm not sure why. I'm not gonna try and make up a reason. His personality apparently just rubs me the wrong way I guess. I've never cared for him. After seeing and hearing all of his interviews, and seeing him fight as many times as we all have, I just don't care for him. I do respect him as a fighter though. As far as the other fighters you mentioned...Matt Hughes should really consider retiring. He's not nearly the fighter he once was. Matt Serra is, to me, just another decent fighter. BJ should stay where he's at and not worry about trying to claim 2 titles...GSP owns him. Fitch...not sure what to say about him...no thoughts one way or another about him...good fighter...not great.

Hey Greg, thanks for the PM you are a great new addition.

After seeing the Mir fight something has to be done about the weight classes, no question. Mir was primed for that fight and couldn't do anything. I'm not taking away from Lesnar either, the guy can fight, but come on man.

I don't want to see this sport go to shit in the heavy class. Make a 245 or 250 and over class or something. The sport has evolved into such a well rounded game to be successful and that fight just crapped on everything it's worked to be.

Fedor will mess Brock up, especially after having this fight to go by, but it needs to happen before he gets too much older. I'm not a MMA guru like some of you guys but do you realize there are huge fans that have no idea how much of a badass Fedor is? That's what killed me about the Kimbo hype too, people were talking about him that had no clue about the real fighters who have busted their ass to become what they are and make the sport what it is.

I got into the sport with the advent of the TV show. It was a little too violent for me before that and I was a fan of the sweet science my whole life. However, it didn't take long for me to appreciate the discipline and chess match tactics needed to be successful. I predicted then it would overtake boxing in popularity and it has, no doubt. Let's just hope it stays true and retains the sportsmanship and respect that's made it anti wrestling and boxing. What did Mir possibly say outside of some pre fight hype that deserved that type of behavior by Brock? Frank got pummeled bad by a much bigger man and then totally disrespected. This is a guy who has done a ton for the sport and its rep, including being a top notch commentator and coach. He's the smart man's heavy with a ton of skills and he just got bludgeoned by a giant that completely took away his whole game by laying on him. Pretty ridiculous really, and I don't hate Brock whatsoever, he's worked really hard to get where he's at and been a fast learner.

Give me a Fedor-Lesnar fight and then add another weight class.

Fedor would tool brock. I think the huge fans you refer to that don't know about Fedor are mainly UFC fans, and not fans of MMA. I mean i could be very wrong but thats just how i feel. I talk to a lot of people who don't even know about organizations like Elitexc, Strikeforce, and Affliction. Just my view. I a lot of people are just mainstream fans, and you have yours guys who just love and appreciate mixed martial arts

Guest 88fingerslewy
Honestly? I'm not sure why. I'm not gonna try and make up a reason. His personality apparently just rubs me the wrong way I guess. I've never cared for him. After seeing and hearing all of his interviews, and seeing him fight as many times as we all have, I just don't care for him. I do respect him as a fighter though. As far as the other fighters you mentioned...Matt Hughes should really consider retiring. He's not nearly the fighter he once was. Matt Serra is, to me, just another decent fighter. BJ should stay where he's at and not worry about trying to claim 2 titles...GSP owns him. Fitch...not sure what to say about him...no thoughts one way or another about him...good fighter...not great.

We're both from the same town in Quebec. So it's kind of like saying to someone from Youngstown, "I can't stand Kelly Pavlik." So I'm a homer on that one.

We're both from the same town in Quebec. So it's kind of like saying to someone from Youngstown, "I can't stand Kelly Pavlik." So I'm a homer on that one.

lol I saw that one coming. :)

"He just can't handle his riddum!"

Curious 88fingers, how do you feel about Thiago Alves saying the weight cut was too much for him and led to his lack-luster performance? Sour grapes?

Fighting/wrestling after cutting a TON of weight is kinda like fighting/wrestling/(working) really ill, you're weak and miserable, really distracted. The mentally strong can power through it usually, maybe the "Pit Bull" isn't as focused as he appeared. It might be a legit excuse.

While we're on the subject of St. Pierre, BJ bit off a bit more than he could chew in this last fight. Back in the his post UFC days (during his sabaticle) he was beating some soft heavy weights and it gave him a deluded sense of things. If you want to be able to hang with an elite athlete who walks around at 190-200lbs and cuts to 170 you need to get that big too, you can't just show up at 168lbs with steel balls and think you're gonna be physically dominant against an athletic freak like GSP.

Anybody see BJ's UFC Countdown footage before that event? He was doing this true anaerobic workout by swimming deep down into this offshore pool and lifting these big boulders, which he then proceeded to carry as he walked on the bottom as far as he could. Then after he felt like he could go no further he'd drop it, swim up and get some more air, and then dive down and repeat until he got the big rock to shore. Problem is, the day they filmed might have been one of the few times he actually did it. He should've took a boat out there loaded with huge stones and dropped them all out there, and done at least one a day. Your body would function at a high level with so much less oxygen if you did that all the time, but doing it just a couple times just shows you're tough and probably powered through it without adapting your body to the stress too much at all really. He already sleeps in an air-tight zip-up tent over his bed that simulates high altitude, but is that most of his cardio workout, while he's sleeping? It's well documented that BJ takes short cuts and jogging a couple miles, hauling a couple rocks, and sleeping in a tent is apparently not near enough to challenge GSP in his prime and at peek physical condition.

That said, I think George suffers the same fate if he tries to fight Anderson Silva.

When you are in the perfect weight class for your body style it just seems like too much to overcome another fighter at their peek who is in the perfect weight class for their weight as well. Not even with skill it seems. Now if Anderson had a 70" reach vs GSP's controversial 76" then, well, for starters Anderson wouldn't even have the same fighting style he does so scratch that stupid notion off anyway. But you see my point. Look at Urijah and Mike Brown, Browns a little bigger and made no mistakes while Urijah although talented was wreckless. Twice. It's a different game today than just a few years ago.

Going after the belt holder in the next division may not be possible in today's evolved fight world. With people cutting weight they are fitting themselves into the smallest division they possible can and in the division of their natural weight there is a bigger guy cutting and doing the same thing there (now even at heavyweight where guys like Lesnar cut just to make it at the limit). It worked well for Rich Franklin...until someone with a contrasting style (Anderson) did the same thing, and his reach and technique showed to be superior.

Besides the vaseline and the thoracic cavity gameplan GSP imposed on BJ I think George's skill/technique, "riddum", and size were just too much...and the same thing would happen if he challenged for Anderson's belt as well. Also, did anyone notice how George employed BJ's jab/duck combo to bust up his face and nose early on? The same thing BJ did to him in the last fight, and did to Joe Stevenson in the first 2 seconds, along with many many others. BJ's online vault was a tutorial on how to beat him too, can't let them see everything you have and still hope to overcome everything else.

I'm rambling here....sorry, I love my MMA.

Fedor would tool brock. I think the huge fans you refer to that don't know about Fedor are mainly UFC fans, and not fans of MMA. I mean i could be very wrong but thats just how i feel. I talk to a lot of people who don't even know about organizations like Elitexc, Strikeforce, and Affliction. Just my view. I a lot of people are just mainstream fans, and you have yours guys who just love and appreciate mixed martial arts

I know a lot of pro-wrestling fanatics that qualify as uninformed too. Even today you can find them talking about how Kimbo will be the next UFC champ. LMAO

I'd pick Herring, Sanchez, and Petruzelli again over Kimbo if any of them ever fought. Now Tank Abbot and Kimbo, that's a fight I'd pay to see.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Greg,

Your pronunciation of "riddum" is da perfec way to say dat I tink

GSP is right where he should be. GSP going up in weight will only benefit Dana and his bank account. A couple of scenario's could play out. It's like a big guy fighting a smaller guy in a bar fight.

-If big guy wins he looks like it's not a great accomplishment because the other guy is smaller.

-If big guy loses he looks like an idiot.

-If small guy loses he could get hurt really bad.

Just like in the boxing world, severe beatings aren't easy to recover from.

GSP's pre-fight breakfast ( I love the guy, but French and English will always feud)

Two heggs face da sky

Bacon side by each paralell

Two pairs of toast....wit marmajam

Coffee wit da milk in da middle and da sugar on top

and a orange glass of juice

Hurry up my car's outside parked twice.

I want Shane Carwin who is just as big and is 11-0, has the NCAA div 2 wrestling history so Brock wont exactly have size edge or wrestling... Carwin is a MONSTER who has bigger hands than Lesnar.

Greg You are right on the Money with Jon Jones after his fight with Bonnar I was SERIOUSLY impressed, I am pretty sure in that fight he used a wing chun kick and used some Judo leverage throws along with some good Boxing skills along with a core freestyle wrestling technique.....

That guy has some serious skill set and he is a beginner..... He starts with the BJJ he is going to be one tough opponent and EXCITING he has some serious spring in his movements.

Jon "Bones" Jones vs "Irish" Jake O'Brien UFC 100 unbroadcasted prefight

Let's see if I can embed this sucker...

It takes him the first round to get loose but you can still see the dynamic attacks I mentioned, especially in the second round. It's rare a guy can make nearly every head kick land like that. Sev I agree there is definitely some wing chun in his repertoire and possibly some judo too. In the Bonner fight while clinching he was reaching for handles (underhooks and overhooks, wizzers etc) a lot so he has some background in there somewhere.

The Carwin/Velasquez fight at UFC 104 will tell a lot about both of them and the winner gets the next shot at Brock, even though Couture feels the winner of his bout with Big Nog(eira) at UFC 102 is the rightful #1 contender slot. Although he admits Brock has improved since they last fought he feels like he could beat him if he had another shot. He also said he'd like to drop down to 205 and fight Machida if it's something people wanted to see. Hell yeah Randy, build your legacy all you can while you still can. I was pretty close to the ring in C-Bus when he beat Tim "Stilts" Sylvia and I've gotta tell you, I was speachless for 25 minutes. I knew he was a stud but damn. After that I said I'd never doubt him (and his greco skills) again.

I'm with you about Carwin Sev, but if the 240lb Cain Velasquez should happen to win their fight he may be able to hang w/ Brock as well. He's still inexperienced as an MMA pro but he had a ton of amateur MMA fights and was an All American wrestler. They ran out of guys that would fight him but he wanted to be as good as he possibly could before he turned pro. Plus he's at AKA with Dave Camarillo (guerilla jujitsu) and Crazy Bob Cook, training with Koscheck, Fitch, Buentello, Bobby Southworth, Josh Thompson etc, many hybrid wrestlers that have made the transition to MMA successfully. Technically I don't see any holes and his striking is crisp, his punching speed is elite for a guy that size. No clue about his jitz but I guarantee under Camarillo it's sound and probably a strength of his.

Greg,

Your pronunciation of "riddum" is da perfec way to say dat I tink

GSP is right where he should be. GSP going up in weight will only benefit Dana and his bank account. A couple of scenario's could play out. It's like a big guy fighting a smaller guy in a bar fight.

-If big guy wins he looks like it's not a great accomplishment because the other guy is smaller.

-If big guy loses he looks like an idiot.

-If small guy loses he could get hurt really bad.

Just like in the boxing world, severe beatings aren't easy to recover from.

GSP's pre-fight breakfast ( I love the guy, but French and English will always feud)

Two heggs face da sky

Bacon side by each paralell

Two pairs of toast....wit marmajam

Coffee wit da milk in da middle and da sugar on top

and a orange glass of juice

Hurry up my car's outside parked twice.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I used to give the guy crap a few years ago but he's really won me over. Hard not to like someone who is so respectful and dedicated to his craft. Glad he retained his belt and beat Thiago, they'll both be better for it. Another title defense for George and it will make Thiago hungrier.

Fedor Talks About Possibly Signing With The UFC

Video: Bas Rutten interview. There is an advertisement you'll need to stop from playing in the background.

Cool interview w/ Couture. He comments on UFC "Hundy" after the 5:00 min mark.

Can someone fill me in as to why Dana can't accommodate this guy with what he wants?

I don't get it, Fedor doesn't strike me as a guy that would be ridiculous with his demands.

Archived