THE BROWNS BOARD

More fallout from the MNF disaster and do the BROWNS have a target on them?  What's next?

mjp28

More fallout from the MNF disaster and do the BROWNS have a target on them?  And other analysis on the game.  Not that you want to beat a dead horse -but- can the BROWNS stop or turn this around with a big win Sunday be Seattle? And what about that handshake garbage before or after the game, I hope that too dies.   We certainly shall see.  

More in the link.

Mayfield, Browns bruised after 49ers' rout     http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/story.cfm/story/1984778
October 8, 2019
By The Associated Press

CLEVELAND (AP) Baker Mayfield apparently offended Richard Sherman and paid for it. Mayfield got hunted, bear-hugged, sacked and mocked by Nick Bosa in front of a national TV audience.

Advertisement  

On a trip out west, the Browns went south.

The 49ers utterly beat them down.

Mayfield was under siege by San Francisco's ferocious defensive front and played the worst game of his young career Monday night, and Cleveland's lines were overpowered throughout a 31-3 loss to the 49ers that has raised new questions about the Browns' quarterback, coach Freddie Kitchens and the future.

After five games, the Browns (2-3) are an enigma. Good one week, bad the next. This time, brutally bad.

''We do not want to be an up-and-down, roller-coaster football team if we want to get to where we want to get to,'' Kitchens said Tuesday on a conference call.

The high expectations placed on the Browns during the preseason, a rosy outlook based solely on talent and potential, not only seem unfounded but unfeasible.

Against the well-rested and underrated Niners, Mayfield threw two of his league-high eight interceptions, got sacked four times, finished with just 100 yards passing and a 13.4 rating.

He inadvertently set the tone for the dismal performance before kickoff, when Sherman said the Browns' brash QB disrespected him by not shaking his hand before the coin toss. Sherman insisted the slight motivated him and the Niners.

''That's some college (stuff),'' Sherman told NFL Network. ''It's ridiculous ... shaking hands with your opponent - that's NFL etiquette. And when you pull bush league stuff, that's disrespectful to the game. And believe me, that's gonna get us fired up.''

Sherman backed off a bit when video surfaced of his chilly pregame exchange with Mayfield, who appeared to shake the cornerback's hand.

''So you don't see any difference in the way I shake everyone else's hand and the guy who stands back with the petty shake,'' Sherman said on Twitter when challenged about his claims.

Sherman picked off Mayfield on Cleveland's second series.

One of Mayfield's college stunts also came back to haunt him.

Bosa, the No. 2 overall pick from Ohio State, pressured Mayfield into an intentional grounding call and celebrated by pretending to wave and plant a flag. The gesture was aimed at Mayfield, who in 2017 tried to impale an Oklahoma flag into the turf at Ohio Stadium after leading the Sooners to a win over the Buckeyes.

''He had it coming,'' said Bosa.

There's no denying Mayfield and the Browns, who played a strong all-around game last week in a win at Baltimore, are a target......... MORE GAME ANALYSIS AND WHAT'S COMING UP  CONTINUED IN THE LINK.........

One other little thing in the look ahead to next Sunday, will this make a difference like last week playing a team that last played on Thursday.  Extra days off can be like gold for players in week 6 and beyond.

NEXT STEPS

It doesn't get any easier for the Browns, who will host Seattle on Sunday. The Seahawks will come in fresh after not playing since Oct. 3.

I think the Browns have come  to the realization  that they're going to  get every  other teams  best  shot, the same  as KC and the Patriots.

& Sherman had to lie  about  the  missed  handshake, and the national  media  lapped  it up.

• Upvote 2

That Sherman thing was completely bogus. The only reason bakers handshake with Sherman was different because of Sherman. Bake shook and hugged everyone else.  Sherman shook and hugged 3 out of the 5 guys. Ls Charlie Hughlett and Baker were the two that didn't get the half bro hugs and sherman was moving on to the next guy as soon as he touched hands with Baker.  Sherman should have kept his mouth shut and not lied about it because all it has done is actually shine light on the fact sherman is the one who may need to look at his actions. Now that everyone has called Sherman out his latest take is "Ppl freaking out over a handshake gave me a good laugh. I will lose no sleep over it and have moved on to the next opponent." When he is the one who had a "freak out over a handshake".

During an appearance Wednesday on the Pat McAfee Show, Sherman said, “it’s definitely my bad … he’ll get an apology for that.” Sherman said he plans to reach out to Mayfield “via text or social media to actually get ahold of him and talk to him in person. He definitely deserves an apology, and my bad on that.”

It honestly looks bad on sherman not only the because of the lie but the video shows the two guys he didn't dap and bro hug were the only white guys.

• Thanks 1

Is this just so blatantly obvious about what's wrong with the 2019 BROWNS or at least a few games-or-are there deeper problems.  Will a few wins cure everything....... funny how that can work.  From the article.......

WHAT'S WORKING

Running back Nick Chubb gained 87 yards on 16 carries, but his production was curtailed by a huge deficit and Cleveland needing to throw to catch up.

Chubb only had one catch and Kitchens may need to find more ways to get him involved in the passing scheme.

WHAT NEEDS HELP

Mayfield seems to be regressing. He's not sensing pressure well or stepping up in the pocket to make throws. For the second week in a row, he only completed two passes to star Odell Beckham Jr., who has been a good citizen and teammate and hasn't publicly grumbled about not getting the ball.

Kitchens was creative in using Beckham in the backfield, but the Browns' inability to have Mayfield complete passes to the team's best offensive threat is alarming.

STOCK UP

Rookie punter Jamie Gillan continues to be a bright spot. He averaged 56.7 yards on seven kicks, one a 71-yarder and pinned the Niners inside their 20 four times.

STOCK DOWN

There are other factors involved, but Mayfield is playing poorly. Period.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

One other little thing in the look ahead to next Sunday, will this make a difference like last week playing a team that last played on Thursday.  Extra days off can be like gold for players in week 6 and beyond.

NEXT STEPS

It doesn't get any easier for the Browns, who will host Seattle on Sunday. The Seahawks will come in fresh after not playing since Oct. 3.

seahawks will win....browns will play better than against the niners....thats not saying much....but it will be too much russell wilson in the end....the browns are no where near these elite teams ala dallas, eagles...seahawks...pats etc....i think the season is basically over for this over hyped bunch...especially our creampuff ol and dl...and lb's....hopefully they can somewhat recover and get some kind of identity and leadership by the end of the season...one thing we will have going for us is that next yr there will be absolutely no expectations or overhype.....

15 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

How the HELL do we play a team after their bye and then play a team that gets 10 days of rest?  Wtf?!

In all fairness, we do get to play the Patriots after our bye. But yeah- 49ers- then Seahawks is BS.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, browns52 said:

seahawks will win....browns will play better than against the niners....thats not saying much....but it will be too much russell wilson in the end....the browns are no where near these elite teams ala dallas, eagles...seahawks...pats etc....i think the season is basically over for this over hyped bunch...especially our creampuff ol and dl...and lb's....hopefully they can somewhat recover and get some kind of identity and leadership by the end of the season...one thing we will have going for us is that next yr there will be absolutely no expectations or overhype.....

Dallas is not elite. They have as many problems as the browns.  Second I've got the browns this week and not just because I'm a browns fan. I've predicted losses twice for the browns so far this year rams and niners. Call it a feeling an inkling or whatever.  Browns will win this Sunday lose in two weeks to pats and go 3-4 through the first 7 which is the tough part of schedule.  They will go 6-3 over the last nine finishing at 9-7 and will win the division and host a playoff game. Likely a loss in that round but its the step we need to take this year. Learning to win this year for both players and coaches is very important step this year. 

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

In all fairness, we do get to play the Patriots after our bye. But yeah- 49ers- then Seahawks is BS.  

Could all be a big scheduling coincidence -but- I believe the NFL world thought that the 2019 BROWNS were going to be world beaters.

They looked more like Charlie Brown rather than the Cleveland Browns on primetime TV so far.   I guess that they weren't "ready for some football".  :mellow:

We were.

The Browns are going to be fine.

- The 49er's had a good game plan.

- They had an early BYE week giving them plenty of preparation time.

-Which lent to minimal injuries in comparison to Cleveland's laundry list of injuries.

-Kirko and Njoku are huge missing pieces, Wilson is a monster but he's still plenty green and that hurt us Monday.

- Greedy Williams and Denziel Ward still being out takes a ton of speed away from our defense! They need to nut the fuck up and get back on the field. Our backups have done a solid job the last few weeks but we couldn't get pressure because we are missing two lock down speedsters on the outside.

-The 49er's aren't as good as they looked and Cleveland isn't as bad as they looked.

-49er's had a lot of luck that happened for them. Cleveland had the opposite of luck, missed interceptions, missed fumble recoveries and on and on...

-The 82 yard first run for a TD was a huge break for San Fran. 1 in a 1000 chance of that happening again. 

-The Calloway bobble in the endzone that took points off the board was another lucky strike.

-Mayfield's fumble was a fluke.

-OBJ's fumble on the kickoff was a fluke.

-Sherman's interception was lucky that they barely got a hand on Mayfield or else Callaway is still running... lots of good breaks for San Fran. 

- The Browns should have deferred the kickoff to start the game, the took the ball and it backfired, giving San Fran the ball at halftime and allowing them to build upon an already healthy lead. 

- The Browns were pressing. After the 82 yarder that put them down and then a pick they felt the pressure and forced some things, got away from the run and I must say looked like they panicked.

-San Fran got away with a bunch of calls at the LOS, I saw multiple plays with hands to the face and under the facemask of the OL, mostly on Bosa.

Their FB Douchecheck, he literally dove into the knees and tackled of anybody that was in front of him ALL game until his bitch ass got hurt. Their entire offense looked completely different when that cheap shot artist went out the game.

-The 49er's  probably picked up an extra 100 yards because of the Browns going for the big hit/strip instead of wrapping up and bringing down the ball carrier... I understand why they needed to try it but it didn't work in our favor. 

Like I said, 49er's aren't as good as they looked on Monday. They had the perfect storm that worked in their favor. Any given Sunday, anything can happen. Browns had a bad day, period. Don't panic. Everything is going to be fine. A couple more weeks until the BYE and we should have Ward, Greedy, Callaway, Hunt, Njoku and the crew all back and ready to rumble.

We've got to find a way to win this next one against the Seahawks. Crowd noise and that Cleveland love is going to be Huge for them. Represent. Bounce back time.

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Their FB Douchecheck, he literally dove into the knees and tackled of anybody that was in front of him ALL game until his bitch ass got hurt. Their entire offense looked completely different when that cheap shot artist went out the game.

lmao..  5CE4.gif          🤣 i got poe'd

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Sherman's interception was lucky that they barely got a hand on Mayfield or else Callaway is still running... lots of good breaks for San Fran. 

That shit drove me insane. Richard Sherman got beat and would've given up a touchdown early on in the game, but RIGHT when Baker cut it loose he got hit. Geez I was livid. That changes the entire game. Maybe Calloway catches more passes with that confidence....ugh. 

• Upvote 1