THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns could surprise

Dan in Florida

Early look at NFL teams flying under the radar

Browns, Raiders and Rams could surprise in '09

mflorio.gif

Mike Florio

Monday, Jul. 13, 2009 - 9:44 a.m. ET

We've all heard for years that, because professional football players are (duh) professionals, they don't respond to the same motivations that drive those who play the game at lower levels.

In some ways, it's true. But the ineffectiveness of the rah-rah tactics of high school and college coaches might have more to do with age and maturity than dollars and cents.

Other dynamics unrelated to the availability of a large paycheck can affect the way NFL players approach their sport; perceived or actual disrespect, a desire to be a champion, and fear of televised embarrassment can make the difference between wins and losses.

There's also the concept of bringing the so-called "A" game. Each year, a given team's schedule features opponents for whom players naturally get a little more geeked up than usual.

The other side of the coin is that, in some games, players might be tempted to overlook a foe that is expected to be bad or, at a minimum, inferior. It's part of what makes the "any given Sunday" cliché an accurate description of NFL life. And the inability of teams to be "up" on every given Sunday lays the foundation for upsets.

It's good to be among the teams who are overlooked and presumed to be hopeless for the coming season. If such franchises can get off to a good start — like the Dolphins, Falcons, and Ravens of a season ago — they can develop momentum and confidence, which could propel them into the postseason.

So, which teams are flying comfortably under the radar this year? Let's look at those that are, and a few that aren't.

Cleveland Browns

After a 10-6 season in 2007 raised expectations unrealistically for 2008, a 4-12 mark has caused Cleveland's prospects for the coming year to plummet. Amid disarray and discontent, there's a sense of looming disaster — and that could indeed play into the team's benefit by getting each week's adversary to assume they simply need to show up and win.

If the Browns can finagle a Week 1 win over the Vikings (with or without Brett Favre), Cleveland could then roll into Heinz Field in Week 6 with a record of 3-2 or better. If they should swipe one from the Steelers, the Browns will be in position to compete for a playoff berth.

Jacksonville Jaguars

They stink when they're supposed to be good, and they excel when they're written off. The problem for the Jags is this approach has landed them on a roller coaster that entails one strong year, followed by one weak one.

This year, everyone is assuming the Colts won't miss a beat despite dramatic turnover, predicting the Titans will still be solid despite the departure of Albert Haynesworth, and buzzing the Texans are due to finally compete for a postseason.

If the Jags are going to succeed this year, it'll be obvious quickly; their first four games feature a tour of the AFC South — and a visit from the defending NFC champs.

Oakland Raiders

Unlike the Browns or the Jaguars, the Raiders have done nothing in the past six years to give their fans any real hope. But that only ensures Oakland will be among the overlooked teams for 2009.

Loaded at tailback, solid on defense, and stabilized (for now) when it comes to the coaching staff, the best move the Raiders made this year might have been the pursuit of Jeff Garcia, who'll either push JaMarcus Russell to become a better quarterback or leapfrog him on the depth chart. Either way, the Raiders will be better because of Garcia's presence.

A relatively weak division will help the Raiders' chances — and they'll get to show what they can do with respect to their AFC West rivals by playing each of them, right out of the gates.

If the Raiders win all three, they'll have the inside track for the playoff spot that will go to one of those four teams, no matter how bad each of them might be.

Buffalo Bills

The Bills could have been widely overlooked and underestimated in 2009, but then they signed a free-agent wideout who'll never be overlooked or, in his own view of himself, underestimated.

And so the Bills are one of the front-and-center franchises for the coming season, with teams that otherwise might not bring their "A" game looking to treat T.O. even worse than Joanna Krupa did.

Washington Redskins

Though the NFC South might be able to make a good case to the contrary, the NFC East generally is regarded as the best division in football.

And the Redskins generally are considered to be its fourth-best team.

But Washington has defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who might find specific motivation in the widespread belief that he'll lose his effectiveness now that he has found millions in guaranteed money. Also, quarterback Jason Campbell will have, for the first time in a long time, continuity in coaching.

The early-season schedule is favorable, and the Redskins could get off to a good start.

Then again, they did the same thing last year, before it all fell apart. If it happens again, Campbell will be working with a new coaching staff next year; either because there will be a new coach in D.C., or Campbell will have a new team.

St. Louis Rams

With only five wins in two seasons, no one expects the Rams to even match that amount in 2009.

And that's exactly the way the Rams should want it.

Injuries have played a huge role in the problems of the past couple of seasons. The fact that former coach Scott Linehan was one of the most recent examples of the "Peter Principle" at the NFL level didn't help, either.

Replacing Linehan is the next latest coordinator to parlay a high degree of success into a head-coaching job. If the Peter Principle doesn't apply to Steve Spagnuolo, the Rams could be in very good shape.

Playing with a hard-charging tailback who's still in his prime in a watered-down division doesn't hurt, either.

link

I think everyone thinks we will be improved. Mangini will definitely have us prepared for each game. I like it when no one really expects much out of us. We tend to surprise everyone. I'd like to have a 9-7 season or better and build from there. Hopefully mangini can teach us to be a model franchise and how to expect to win and be confident. Then maybe we can be mentioned with the elite teams in the league year in and year out.

In the nfl its more about the gameplan and its execution no team is going to overlook any other team in this league as winning is everything...it makes a nifty excuse to the fans when a favored club gets upset by an underdawg but its really execution and preparation or the lack thereof that decides the game in the end....;)

If the browns jell this offseason and execute the coaches gameplans they are going to be tough for most teams to beat..

SHHHH don't tell anyone we still may suck..... 6 -10 for us.. Sorry guys we just are not there yet.Too many questions remain for any HONEST prediction of much better than that. The Homer prediction is 10 or 11 wins.. but we all know that's a fart in the breeze.

SHHHH don't tell anyone we still may suck..... 6 -10 for us.. Sorry guys we just are not there yet.Too many questions remain for any HONEST prediction of much better than that. The Homer prediction is 10 or 11 wins.. but we all know that's a fart in the breeze.

Yeah but you'll be right there in all your glory if it happens Sez. Won't be any different than '07.

I bet a friend of mine (who is a filthy squeelers fan) that the Browns will win at least 10 games this year. The bet is for a night out at Great Lakes Brewery and the loser picks up the check. I figure this will coincide with the unveiling of the delicious Christmas Ale on tap...so even if I lose, I kinda win. However, I do believe the Browns will surprise this year.

Go Browns!

" the Browns can finagle a Week 1 win over the Vikings (with or without Brett Favre), Cleveland could then roll into Heinz Field in Week 6 with a record of 3-2 or better. If they should swipe one from the Steelers, the Browns will be in position to compete for a playoff berth."

I think that a week one win would be HUGE for us, and can set the tone for the weeks ahead. The writer is a bit early in the prediction department... I too, would prefer staying under the radar til we got on a roll and hopefully Shutdown the Steelers for a win game 6 - not just "swipe one" JMHO...

Yeah but you'll be right there in all your glory if it happens Sez. Won't be any different than '07.

Oh for sure riffer. no one would be happier than me if they make me eat my own words. I am not saying the CAN'T.. I am just saying that there are too many questions remaining to make a prediction of 9,10,11 wins with confidence.. that's just home talk because we have SUCKED for how long now.... Too darned long. I am ready for the browns to put it all together and go on a 4,5,6 year run at the playoffs and be contenders each year.. I miss MARTY.. at least we were in the mix then.. Come on Browns!!!!

Guest John McClane
5-11

Write it down.

Regards

..... an'at

You are Retarded, write that down.

Regards

..... an'at

As always, I will make no prediction of record. I WILL say that I am excited about having smarter players, increased depth with the addition of a number of very serviceable & proven vets, a much more disciplined team, all led by a Coach & GM both young enough to lead us in a consistent & positive manner for many years...PLUS, both these guys have been in Cleveland before & WANT to be here now. They have also surrounded themselves with fine Coordinators & Assistants.

That being said, many of our players are learning new systems & that can take time. I'm willing to be patient due to the reasons stated above, plus the days of "12 men on the field", "delay of game", "stupid personal fouls" may come to an end.

The future looks bright through my glasses.

Mike

Archived