THE BROWNS BOARD

carey signed

ballpeen

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-16...draft-pick.html

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

The Cleveland Browns have agreed to terms on a four-year contract with rookie cornerback Don Carey Tuesday, the AFC North blog has learned.

Carey, who was taken in the sixth round, was a four-year starter for Norfolk State. He recorded 10 interceptions in 44 career games.

Cleveland's rookies will report to training camp on July 24. The veterans will report on July 31 and begin practicing Aug. 1.

I just like that we are getting guys signed earlier than we ever have in the past. I am not just talking about Phil either. Seems like the browns always waited until camp opened to get things done. I like this much better, that way if you do hit some snags, your not up against the wall to where it hurts the player and the team.

Guest Aloysius
A four year contract is pretty long for a 6th rounder dont ya think?

It's standard Patriots practice to ink late rounders to four year deals. And it's not exclusively a Belichick custom; Phil Savage did the same thing with Hubbard, Rubin, and Hall last year.

It would not suprise me if he takes over as a starter, Carey is highly intelligent and can flat out play ball.

That would be cool, but highly unlikely.

It would do Don a whole lotta good to watch Abe Elam very closely in camp & practice (and maybe hit the gym).

A four year contract is pretty long for a 6th rounder dont ya think? I guess they think pretty highly of him

Length of the contract doesn't mean a thing in the NFL. It's only about how much is guaranteed. They could sign him for 20 years and cut him tomorrow and only be obligated to pay the signing bonus because most 2nd day draft picks sign contracts that hinge on them making the final roster, year after year. If they don't make the team, the contract is null and void.

For the player, it sucks because he is only paid his signing bonus and must make the team. For the team, it is great. They are only obligated to pay if he makes the team.

But, to answer your question, 4 years is basically normal for 2nd day picks because the team has the upper hand.

It would not suprise me if he takes over as a starter, Carey is highly intelligent and can flat out play ball.

First he has to make the team. It's a long way from Norfolk State to the NFL. The Browns have a lot of nice looking young DBs but most, like Carey, will need seasoning and mentoring.

We'll see what happens when the pads go on and he has to defend top notch receivers every down and how he and the others handle complex NFL defenses.

Archived