THE BROWNS BOARD

CFP candidates

The Gipper

Right now, as I see it, there are ONLY   11 teams that have any chance to make the 4 team playoff field this year:

SEC teams:   LSU,  Georgia, Alabama

Big Ten teams:  Ohio State, Minnesota,  Penn St.

ACC teams:  Clemson

Big 12 teams:  Oklahoma,  Baylor

Pac-12 teams:   Oregon, Utah

A bit on each of these teams:

SEC

LSU..9-0 .now has a cake schedule until the SEC title game  (and see below, where I think that may even be cake)

Georgia.....8-1  GA is ranked #4 in the CFP poll....which, to me, is horseshit.  From what I can tell, Georgia has had the worst loss...to   South Carolina which has a losing record with 6 losses already

Alabama....8-1  has the "best loss"  to the #1 LSU team in a shootout 

Big Ten

Ohio State....9-0  obviously needs to win out vs. a fairly killer schedule, Penn St./Mich/Big Ten title game

Minnesota....9-0  Biggest Cinderella,  also a tough schedule ahead  Iowa today/Wisconsin,  either OSU/PSU in Big Ten title game.  If they could win all of these, they would be in...surprisingly.

Penn St.  8-1   If they beat OSU, and avenge the loss to Minnesota, they could be in.

ACC teams

Clemson....only ACC team that could make it,  and they will because they have a cakewalk, plus are defending champ

Big 12 teams.

Oklahoma.  Can be serious contender with win in faceoff with Baylor, today.

Baylor.  Must run the table.  If they win today v. OK...it helps.....but must be undefeated to make it.

Pac 12 teams

Oregon/ Utah.. ....neither can suffer another loss.  Loser of the showdown in the P-12 title game, assuming they both make it  is obviously gone.  Winner still in the  hunt...assuming no interim upsets, which can happen in that conference. 

And Minnesota is in trouble:  Iowa 20 Minn. 3 at the half.   OSU up big.

Alabama no problem with  Miss. St.....but it looks like they may have lost Tua.

Penn St. squeaks one out vs. Indiana.

Georgia in a tight low scoring affair with Auburn.  Ga. leads 7-0 at the half.

FMU  not in the playoff race, but they may be playing the best of Jim Harbaugh's career there.  Beat MSU like 44-10.

Minnesota loses to Iowa......and likely, in the minds of the CFP committee eliminates them.....

but...should it? 

Like I said, Georgia  has a loss to a much shittier team than Iowa....6 loss S. Carolina.

Utah lost to USC...and 

Oregon lost to Auburn.....who just lost to Georgia. 

Oklahoma lost to Kansas St. ....who is probably not as good as Iowa.

But, Minnesota will be eliminated because they have a prejudice against the Big Ten, and a prejudice in favor of the SEC.

NO win the Georgia has is as impressive as the win Minnesota has over Penn St.

Fair to say?

Baylor loses on a big comeback to OK.

I guess the same thing applies to Baylor as applies to Minnesota.......they will likely be considered by the committee to have been eliminated because of this one loss....because they get no respect,   even though their losses were to good teams,  not like Georgia who lost to a shitty team. 

Utah meanwhile is smoking the hell out of UCLA,  ahead like 49-3,    and Oregon up comfortably over Arizona.