THE BROWNS BOARD

Ah, Tennessee

dencyguy

I enjoy living in Tennessee, and after a couple of years down here, I've learned to enjoy my Tennessean neighbors, who I have stopped referring to as "Hee-Haw extras," "subliterate crackers," "toothless scum," and the like--because it's not true: they are good, intelligent folk. And then you see stories like this one in today's Knoxville News-Sentinel, which is worth it just for the headline alone:

Scuffle with son over sandwich meat burns shotgun-packing meth maker

Here's the story on the 2009 Father of the Year:

LOUDON - It wasn't the fight with his son over sandwich meat that may send a convicted Loudon County meth maker to federal prison.

It's the fact that he fired a 12-gauge shotgun from a porch while the son was fleeing his father's wrath.

Barry Thomas Myers, 43, was arrested Monday on a federal indictment charging him with being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Myers was convicted of having a methamphetamine lab in 2008 and is on parole, according to the Loudon County Sheriff's Office.

He was taken into custody by Loudon County Sheriff's Office investigations and U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and is awaiting trial.

Myers' trouble began May 26 at his Davis Ferry Road home, according to Sheriff Tim Guider. Deputies were sent to the house about 7:15 p.m. to answer a domestic disturbance call.

They were told that Myers had gotten into an argument with his juvenile son over sandwich meat. The squabble escalated into a fight, and Myers went to a back room and retrieved a 12-gauge shotgun.

A sibling warned his brother that their father had a gun, and the boy fled the residence.

Myers allegedly went out to a porch and fired the gun once as the boy was running away.

Loudon County investigators and ATF agents later executed a search warrant at Myers' residence. Evidence was taken and processed by the ATF.

More details as they develop online and in Saturday's News Sentinel.

Dennis

"Jimmy, you know darn well that pimento loaf was for Skeeter--that's the only way I can get him to take his mange pill! You done it this time, boy!"

Dency, dency, dency...what am I going to do with you??

Here is a interesting story

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,343031,00.html

Man Faces Charges for Having Sex With Picnic Table

Ohio police have arrested a man who was caught on tape allegedly having sex with a picnic table.

Art Price Jr., 40, of Bellevue, Ohio, was arrested after a neighbor videotaped him engaged sexually with the metal table, according to a report on FOX19.com.

Price was seen on four separate occasions, always between 10:30 a.m. and noon, having sex with the picnic table, Bellevue Police Capt. Matt Johnson told the TV station.

"The first video we had, he was completely nude," Johnson said, noting the table in question had a hole in the middle intended to hold an umbrella.

Price, a married father of three school-age kids, faces felony counts of public indecency because his house is near an elementary school, according to the report.

Thats good stuff. I live in Clarksville TN and it is pretty nice. I'm sure tennessee is much nicer the farther you get from Ft. Campbell though. Beautiful state and there are a lot of good people around.

I took boot camp at Ft. Campbell in Feb, 1969. I got an overnight pass and went into Clarksville. The bars and poolhalls had signs in the windows " no dogs or GI"s allowed". I took the next bus back to camp.

I enjoy living in Tennessee, and after a couple of years down here, I've learned to enjoy my Tennessean neighbors, who I have stopped referring to as "Hee-Haw extras," "subliterate crackers,"

Dennis

"Jimmy, you know darn well that pimento loaf was for Skeeter--that's the only way I can get him to take his mange pill! You done it this time, boy!"

"Subliterate crackers" - that's freakin hilarious. My incidence of typos has increased since we moved to TN. That's either a disturbing coincidence or my speeel-checker done lost its mind.

This older lady was walking her dog and it came running up toward me. Both were just as friendly as can be, which is consistent with the local population born and raised here. Anyway, before I was going to pet the thing - I asked: "are we friendly? He's not going to mind me saying hello - is he?" The reply was: "Oh honey, he don't mind cuz he don't have one." I enjoyed hearing that so much I've already borrowed it for one of the Steelhead visitors minus the "honey" thing.

I've got a surprising irony. Here's a cut and paste (source: City-data.com after googling Nashville's top industries):

"Nashville is the largest publishing center in the Southeast and one of the top ten largest in the country. Some of the nation's leading printers operate alongside scores of small, family-owned shops. The city is home to Thomas Nelson, the world's foremost publisher of Bibles, and two of the country's largest religious publishing houses. Nashville is also becoming a major distribution center for books and other print media."

Then again, if one reads country music lyrics or the Bible - the grammar police look like they start work after happy hour. That gives hope for everyone.

- Tom F.

Archived