THE BROWNS BOARD

Russia ready to test Obama

We need Tom Tupa

AP

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev

MOSCOW — President Dmitry Medvedev says Russia will deploy missiles

in its Baltic Sea territory in response to U.S. missile defense plans.

Medvedev says the short-range Iskander missiles will be deployed to the

Kaliningrad region which borders NATO members Poland and Lithuania. He

has not said how many missiles will be deployed or whether they will be

fitted with nuclear warheads.

He said in a state-of-the-nation speech Wednesday that Russia will also

deploy equipment to conduct to electronically hamper the operation of

prospective U.S. missile defense facilities in Poland and the Czech

Republic.

Medvedev said that Russia will also use navy resources as part of its

response to the U.S. missile shield.

Guest Aloysius

He must want Russia hawk Richard Holbrooke to become Obama's Secretary of State. That, or he's trying to manufacture a controversy to compensate for his declining approval ratings. In October, he slipped all the way down to 76%.

Nikolas Gvosdev's got an interesting take on how Obama may end up managing the US-Russia relationship:

What is of interest to me is the possible role of French President Sarkozy in working with Obama. Sarkozy was the first foreign leader to reach Obama and congratulate him (if the BBC breaking news ticker is to be trusted). Sarkozy has already shown his diplomatic finesse with the Russians; could he be trying to position himself—and France—as the new transatlantic interlocutor? This bears watching.

Sarkozy's status as an international leader might depend somewhat on Obama's decision to rely on or distance himself from Gordon Brown as the financial crisis continues to unfold. If Brown continues to be a world economic leader, Sarkozy's ceiling in Europe will be second fiddle.

Naturally, I pull this opinion out of my ass. Salt liberally.

Sarkozy's status as an international leader might depend somewhat on Obama's decision to rely on or distance himself from Gordon Brown as the financial crisis continues to unfold. If Brown continues to be a world economic leader, Sarkozy's ceiling in Europe will be second fiddle.

And the US is best off with Brown, meaning that we're in far more economic peril if the Euro wins the world monetary sweepstakes.

WSS

Naturally, I pull this opinion out of my ass. Salt liberally.

Guest Aloysius
Possibly.

By the way, the House of Commons debate today was great. At about the 7:00 mark, Brown compares his economic policies to Obama's.

But it's worth watching the whole 10 minute clip.

The Russians have threatened to block the missile defense system in Poland with

electronic jammers.

Russia just HAS to be totally engraged over the loss of income from oil.

Not good.

The russians play chess while a majority of U.S. politicians ala Bush jr play checkers. They know that Bush JR. is a lame duck president with 2 months left with a democratic incoming controlling congress.

This is the perfect time for them to use publicity stunts to "show" their strength without much recourse. This is also a two pronged method, one is pr flexing of muscle the next is to gauge Obama's response. They want to know who and what kind of person they are dealing with immediately.

They are the ones being surrounded by an encroaching U.S. led nato on former Warsaw pact countries. They dont have the economic ability to go dollar for dollar in military spending. This is a diplomatic bluff to gauge Obama and Bush jr on his waning power and let the international community know that they are here regardless of who gets the international publicity (obama election which has energized the international community).

We will see in his first 90 days what is going to be his methodology and so will the rest of the world, the russians are just off to an early start.

Guest Aloysius

PM Berlusconi of Italy is also offering to help forge closer ties between the US & Russia. However, he's also a little ridiculous:

"I will try to help relations between Russia and the United States where a new generation has come to power, and I don't see problems for Medvedev to establish good relations with Obama who is also handsome, young and suntanned," Berlusconi said.
A lot of people are upset about this, but I can't help but find it a little funny.

Archived