THE BROWNS BOARD

2009 Cleveland Browns Predictions

bigdawg09

9-7 perhaps better this team has more "raw" talent then it is given credit for and mangini is exactly what these guys need to get em thinking about their job and their future in the nfl cuz there aint gonna be no more gauranteed show up and start jobs like it was with the previous regime while untested potential talent rots on the bench if you want pay you gotta play.;)

I predict a season below .500.

What would be a success if we finish below .500?

1) Determine who is the QB for the next 10 years.

2) Rush the passer - double the sacks to 34.

3) Run the ball with efficiency and production.

If we can do the above against the Steelers, then a sub .500 season can be termed successful to me. If not, we need to blow it up all over again soon.

We had two glaring weaknesses - no RB and no pass rush - and we did nothing to address either. So we'll see if Mangini can "scheme" their way out.

I predict a season below .500.

What would be a success if we finish below .500?

I have to admit I'd be disappointed. I'm not expecting Cleveland to be undefeated or anything. That said, missing post seasons 9 out of the last 10 years (and 15 of the last 16) is too old for comfort. IF the Browns are only 1 season removed from 10 wins - why should they reduce their expectations to moral victories only? Therefore, I think making the playoffs would be a success.

This is an era of free agency where there seems to be worst to first movements and vice versa. We've added some experienced defensive upgrades from the 3-4 Mangini employed in NY. SHOULD be a good thing competitive wise. We've got an elite STs return man that impacts field position. We just upgraded the oline by letting Shaffer go, adding Mack in the draft and brining in vets like St Clair, Womack and Foster to compete for starts and depth. BQ averaged 30 points a game in his first 2 starts so we have some promise there too.

- Tom F.

I have to admit I'd be disappointed. I'm not expecting Cleveland to be undefeated or anything. That said, missing post seasons 9 out of the last 10 years (and 15 of the last 16) is too old for comfort. IF the Browns are only 1 season removed from 10 wins - why should they reduce their expectations to moral victories only? Therefore, I think making the playoffs would be a success.

This is an era of free agency where there seems to be worst to first movements and vice versa. We've added some experienced defensive upgrades from the 3-4 Mangini employed in NY. SHOULD be a good thing competitive wise. We've got an elite STs return man that impacts field position. We just upgraded the oline by letting Shaffer go, adding Mack in the draft and brining in vets like St Clair, Womack and Foster to compete for starts and depth. BQ averaged 30 points a game in his first 2 starts so we have some promise there too.

- Tom F.

I appreciate your optimism, but when the things you're most excited about are 1) "experienced defensive players" (meaning marginal, 2nd tier players that are not playmakers) 2) "elite ST's return man" (when the only elite player is a ST'er, that isn't promising) and 3) and 4) If the defense stacks 8 in the box and the QB(s) can't beat it, the offensive line will not perform to it's potential.

We need to start looking at the best teams in the division (Bal and Pit) and seriously ask ourselves if we can beat them. Adding the players we added does not alone mean a damn thing, especially since they aren't playmakers. And the rookies? Mack could be a good pick up, but Robiskie is a year or two away from making an impact.

I think some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment, just like I did last season. In 2007 I was as surprised as anyone, especially with Frye coming back as the starter. But this season, no way am I drinking the kool aid.

I appreciate your optimism, but when the things you're most excited about are 1) "experienced defensive players" (meaning marginal, 2nd tier players that are not playmakers) 2) "elite ST's return man" (when the only elite player is a ST'er, that isn't promising) and 3) and 4) If the defense stacks 8 in the box and the QB(s) can't beat it, the offensive line will not perform to it's potential.

We need to start looking at the best teams in the division (Bal and Pit) and seriously ask ourselves if we can beat them. Adding the players we added does not alone mean a damn thing, especially since they aren't playmakers. And the rookies? Mack could be a good pick up, but Robiskie is a year or two away from making an impact.

I think some of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment, just like I did last season. In 2007 I was as surprised as anyone, especially with Frye coming back as the starter. But this season, no way am I drinking the kool aid.

good post. the browns are actually making improvements, but i don't see them really being effective this year. this is, plain and simple, a rebuilding year. sub .500 but at least you'll be making strides to a promising future. but like you said, when the biggest star on your team is a ST guy............don't get too excited about your chances of turning out a superbowl contending team.

7-9 this year and showing improvement throughout the season.

Guest Aloysius
This is another 2009 Preview of the Cleveland Browns (RealGM.com)

LINK HERE

Actually this was a pretty decent article. Pretty in depth preview.

Jeff Risdon's always a good read, especially during the draft season. I don't agree with everything in that piece, but he makes a good point about how Veikune dominated Phil Loadholt during the Senior Bowl practices. Hopefully, he can do the same thing Week 1 against the Vikings.

I am really looking forward to the season. Brady Quinn has shown to have great field presence and leadership ability. Braylon has had plenty of time to get focused. Jamal Lewis will be Jamal Lewis. The O-Line is solid, and Alex Mack is certainly going to help. The Defense is my major worry, but I am hoping that the discipline that is brought by ManKok will put both units back on the map. A whole lot of Tressel-ball in the mix, but maybe we can squeak out more 16-13 victories than we let go. And finish 7-9!

Quinn wins the camp battle and makes the most of his chances. Our offense shows improvement with Harrison and Davis taking some of the load off of Jamal. Robiskie steps into the #2 role and surprises. MOMass and Furrey are nice options as slot and #4. The addition of Mack will help the right side of the line and our line improves from that of last year to further aide our rushing attack. Rob Ryan finally gives our defense as set and we show signs of being an NFL defense that makes an opposing offense plan for us. We become attacking, aggressive D and climb towards the top half in all categories. Corey Williams shows he was worth the trade/money and Coleman helps alongside Rogers. Barton proves to be the QB of the D he is said to be and we look ready on every play. ST have been solid in my eyes and we continue to do so. We have a good start to foundation under the new management. 9-7 is our record. Heading into next year we have our qb settled and we look to further build upon our solid foundation.

Hard to predict yet. Training camp hasn't even started. We are not sure who the starting QB will be. Any injuries in camp/pre-season? Going to be a rebuilding season with new coaching staff, etc. A wild guess at this point would be 7-9 but who really knows? I had high hopes last season that were smashed quickly.

Archived