THE BROWNS BOARD

Patriots Fallout

The Gipper

Call me crazy, but Tony Romo hinted it and I’ve felt the same way. Josh McDaniels is a northeast Ohio guy, went to John Carroll. He’s been interested in coaching the Browns for years, we just never gave him an interview. Now we are, and according to sources the Haslams want him, so the job is his if he wants it. 

You heard Romo, Brady isn’t done. But he’s done with the Patriots, and is an unrestricted free agent. What did Tony Romo day? He needs help... Hmmm two 1,000 yard receivers and two Top 5 running backs sounds like help to me.

McDaniels wanted Baker in the draft. In fact, he was lobbying to trade up to #2 in the 2018 draft if we didn’t take Baker. His offense is complex though, and Baker needs to mature.

In comes Tom Brady for one more year with McDaniels, while Baker learns the offense.

Call me crazy, just watch.

I don't think the Brady to Browns, Baker to bench situation would work. 

Brady certainly has nothing to prove....he doesn't need to get into that quagmire.  He won't be a backup....nor do I think he wants to be a coach.  Not his lifestyle. 

He has homes in Montana and in Costa Rica.    He is trying to sell his place in Boston area, and is looking for something in NYC suburbs.   He is from, essentially, the Bay area, California.  I doubt he wants to spend a couple...or 1 year in Cleveland.  His wife will not want to. 

Baker would likely go apeshit.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't think the Brady to Browns, Baker to bench situation would work. 

Brady certainly has nothing to prove....he doesn't need to get into that quagmire.  He won't be a backup....nor do I think he wants to be a coach.  Not his lifestyle. 

He has homes in Montana and in Costa Rica.    He is trying to sell his place in Boston area, and is looking for something in NYC suburbs.   He is from, essentially, the Bay area, California.  I doubt he wants to spend a couple...or 1 year in Cleveland.  His wife will not want to. 

Baker would likely go apeshit.

Who cares what Baker would do. But I agree, no way Brady ever sets foot in Cleveland.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

Who cares what Baker would do. But I agree, no way Brady ever sets foot in Cleveland.

If you don't think that people would  care about how Baker would feel.....you must have had your head where the sun don't shine for the last two years.  ....Why don't you revise your comment to "I don't care what Baker would do".....since you would be a singularity. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

If you don't think that people would  care about how Baker would feel.....you must have had your head where the sun don't shine for the last two years.  ....Why don't you revise your comment to "I don't care what Baker would do".....since you would be a singularity. 

Seriously though, why would anyone care what Baker thinks? Nobody is bigger than the team. Baker has arm talent but I think he doesn't have what's between the ears to make it as an elite NFL QB. He is an interception machine and seems to be regressing. Next season will be make or break for him.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Patriots Aufed.    Tom Brady a free agent...  could he return?   Could the  Offensive brain trust of the Pats for almost the last 20 years be a done deal?   Brady/McDaniels?   

Stay tuned. 

Happy days here Gipper. Watching that game brought up some memories...  Except for some fluke plays the Browns should have beaten the Patriots. Henry ran all over them. Chubb was on track to do the same, except he got stripped on the big run. Then a "self fumble" having our OL kick the ball out of his hands. Baker does the hand off to New England. Game over. The Patriots aren't good enough anymore to beat a team playing error free football with a solid running game. 

Tom is as good as his offensive line- which is still incredible in pass protection. And a mighty good reason why he's not coming to Cleveland. Nah- I think Brady will stay in New England as long as he thinks he still want to play. Bob "Tom is like a son to me" Kraft will make sure of it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adoug319 said:

Call me crazy, but Tony Romo hinted it and I’ve felt the same way. Josh McDaniels is a northeast Ohio guy, went to John Carroll. He’s been interested in coaching the Browns for years, we just never gave him an interview. Now we are, and according to sources the Haslams want him, so the job is his if he wants it. 

You heard Romo, Brady isn’t done. But he’s done with the Patriots, and is an unrestricted free agent. What did Tony Romo day? He needs help... Hmmm two 1,000 yard receivers and two Top 5 running backs sounds like help to me.

McDaniels wanted Baker in the draft. In fact, he was lobbying to trade up to #2 in the 2018 draft if we didn’t take Baker. His offense is complex though, and Baker needs to mature.

In comes Tom Brady for one more year with McDaniels, while Baker learns the offense.

Okay, you're crazy. McDaniels is less than nothing without Belicheat and his cameras, and also is a piece of crap who bailed on the Colts - luckily for them - after accepting their HC job. Who would want him besides two of the dumbest owners in the league, Jim 'pills are my life' Irsay and Jim 'felony fraud, steelers #1 fan' Haslam. 

Also, why would anyone want a washed-up 43 year old QB who's only played in one place with one system for one coach his entire career? If he leaves NE, where he sucked this year, it's not going to go well for him. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Patriots Aufed.    Tom Brady a free agent...  could he return?   Could the  Offensive brain trust of the Pats for almost the last 20 years be a done deal?   Brady/McDaniels?   

Stay tuned. 

It won't matter if Brady leaves and McDaniels gets hired by some moron to HC. As long as NE has Belicrap and their film crew they'll win lots of games. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Didn't like my thread title?     Patriot Fallout....hmm.   Fair enough.  

I have heard of Nuclear Fallout.....and Bird fallout  (you all can look that one up)....but OK, I guess we can say we have all suffered Browns Fallout over and over again. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Adoug319 said:

heh heh heh....brady in cleveblin.....heh heh heh.....whoooooooo....

4 hours ago, crunchy said:

Okay, you're crazy. McDaniels is less than nothing without Belicheat and his cameras, and also is a piece of crap who bailed on the Colts - luckily for them - after accepting their HC job. Who would want him besides two of the dumbest owners in the league, Jim 'pills are my life' Irsay and Jim 'felony fraud, steelers #1 fan' Haslam. 

Also, why would anyone want a washed-up 43 year old QB who's only played in one place with one system for one coach his entire career? If he leaves NE, where he sucked this year, it's not going to go well for him. 

haslem is a slimeball,,,,,been saying that for yrs......

9 hours ago, crunchy said:

Lemme ask you something, how many Super Bowls has Belichick won without McDaniels? The answer is 0.

Not saying McDaniels is the sole reason, but to assert that’s Belichick is the reason for McDaniels success as an OC is factually incorrect and ridiculous. Not to mention, Belichick is a defensive coach and McDaniels has full control of the offense.

A 43 year old QB who clearly is still good. This year he threw for 4,000 yards, 24 TDs and 8 INTs. Yeah, he sucks. He’s played for one system, and he’s most likely going to follow that system (McDaniels) wherever he goes for one more year.

11 hours ago, Neo said:

Seriously though, why would anyone care what Baker thinks? Nobody is bigger than the team. Baker has arm talent but I think he doesn't have what's between the ears to make it as an elite NFL QB. He is an interception machine and seems to be regressing. Next season will be make or break for him.

This statement is almost too stupid to warrant a response, but I will indulge you: 

He is the starting Quarterback of the Cleveland Browns.  That alone means people care what he thinks. 

Your better question is:  Why would anyone care what I (Neo) think about Baker Mayfield?   And NOW would be the time for the response:  No one does.

10 hours ago, crunchy said:

It won't matter if Brady leaves and McDaniels gets hired by some moron to HC. As long as NE has Belicrap and their film crew they'll win lots of games. 

I could surmise that without Brady,   BB would be basically the same coach that he was in Cleveland.   Playoff contender (at least occasionally)...not championship caliber.

47 minutes ago, Adoug319 said:

Lemme ask you something, how many Super Bowls has Belichick won without McDaniels? The answer is 0.

Not saying McDaniels is the sole reason, but to assert that’s Belichick is the reason for McDaniels success as an OC is factually incorrect and ridiculous. Not to mention, Belichick is a defensive coach and McDaniels has full control of the offense.

A 43 year old QB who clearly is still good. This year he threw for 4,000 yards, 24 TDs and 8 INTs. Yeah, he sucks. He’s played for one system, and he’s most likely going to follow that system (McDaniels) wherever he goes for one more year.

Are you sure?   Those wins in 2001, 2002?  Seems that McDaniels may have been way too young then.  I will check.....   OK...not true.  Charlie Weis was OC then....don't see McD on the staff:

Front office

Head coaches

Offensive coaches

Defensive coaches

Special teams coaches

Strength and conditioning

• Upvote 1

From the Boston.com after the loss......    

By

Dave D'Onofrio
1:22 AM

COMMENTARY

Five takeaways from the Patriots’ 20-13, season-ending — and perhaps dynasty-destroying — loss to the Titans in the AFC wild card round …

THIS WAS A FLAWED SQUAD ALL ALONG

This might’ve seemed impossible when they were 8-0.

Heck, it still might’ve seemed impossible a week ago, when all they needed for a ticket to the divisional round was to beat the last-place Dolphins.
But in the end, the perception was not in fact the reality. These Patriots were never as good as their record or the expectations told us they were supposed to be.

It became apparent enough over time that the end should not ultimately be all that surprising........ continued in the link......

download-2-1-850x478$large.jpg

McDaniels WAS on the staff in 2002:

Head Coaches

Offensive Coaches

Defensive Coaches

Special Teams Coaches

Strength and Conditioning

But, as "coaching assistant".   Is that like coffee fetcher/waterboy?  I think it is because I do see that in 2001, McDaniels was not on the coaching staff...but was BBs "personal assistant".  

He did become the QB coach for the 2004 season. 

8 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I could surmise that without Brady,   BB would be basically the same coach that he was in Cleveland.   Playoff contender (at least occasionally)...not championship caliber.

Except that when Brady has been out they've gone 14-6, and that was with 3 rookie qbs completely new to the system. When Cassel played for them and they went 11-5 he hadn't started a game at QB since high school. Belichode went 11-5 with a high school qb. And when Brady came back the next year they went 10-6. It's always been Belichick. 

Conversely, when the Colts lost Manning they went from 10-6 to 2-14. There's the difference between a qb who matters and a qb who doesn't. 

10 minutes ago, crunchy said:

Except that when Brady has been out they've gone 14-6, and that was with 3 rookie qbs completely new to the system. When Cassel played for them and they went 11-5 he hadn't started a game at QB since high school. Belichode went 11-5 with a high school qb. And when Brady came back the next year they went 10-6. It's always been Belichick. 

Conversely, when the Colts lost Manning they went from 10-6 to 2-14. There's the difference between a qb who matters and a qb who doesn't. 

Sure....like I said, he would have good teams,  occasional playoff teams.  Not championship teams.  

He can coach a defense, and he can be a good HC.   Brady made him a Champion. 

Or...are you going to say:   Well, even if Tom Brady leaves, the Pats coached by BB will still be the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl..or at least the AFC. 

If so...then I would refer you to the words of  that musical group from the Boston area who call themselves Aerosmith:   Dream On.

15 minutes ago, crunchy said:

It's been a unique combination of Kraft Belichick Brady -and- a good overall team where all of the pieces fit, some with castoff players  -plus-  a well assembled staff.

In other words a true self sustaining dynasty and not be in or win one SB and then disappear.  Can it continue, who knows for sure.

Just read some of the Boston area papers and online stuff.

13 hours ago, Neo said:

Wait Are you serious? This is a terrible take, like Ghoolie level bad. So you don't think pissing off a 24 year old Baker for a rapidly declining, 40 something Tom Brady is something we would not care about? Baker and his agent would immediately demand a trade ala Jay Cutler which what happened when Josh McDaniels was last a head coach.

1 minute ago, MLD Woody said:

I don't think we want McDaniels. I don't think he's worth 1 season of the 43 year old version of the greatest NFL player ever. 

I think McDaniels would like the opportunity to work with Mayfield.

And Jim Brown is still the greatest NFL player ever :P

9 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I don't think we want McDaniels. I don't think he's worth 1 season of the 43 year old version of the greatest NFL player ever. 

I think the Haslams want him bad. Like PoG/Saquon bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think the Haslams want him bad. Like PoG/Saquon bad. 

I would say that with McDaniels, McCarthy, Saleh, Roman, Daboll,  Meyer, Bienemy,  Stefanski.......it ALL seems a crap shoot. Fair to say?

So, I guess,   all things being equal,  what the owner wants, the owner may get....and that may not be any worse of a choice than any of the others. 

At least we know he can run a championship offense.....even if he may not have a guy considered the possible GOAT at his disposal.   I could see, maybe a Joe Montana/Walsh  parallel with he and Baker.    At least, that is what I would want to see. 

22 hours ago, Adoug319 said:

It also crossed my mind and wouldn't be surprised if that happens. Brady with these weapons gives us a legitimate chance at the SB ala Denver with Manning.