THE BROWNS BOARD

Don't Bet Against Quinn

WPB Dawg Fan

Shep is a much more formidable opponent. No one really challenges him sometimes, so I pick up the mantle.

Lumbergh bores me (other than a good one-line zinger every now and then) and has plenty of opposition, you guys don't need me to battle Lumbergh.

But someone has to keep Shep in check or he'll have Brady in the Hall before he wins his second game.

Zombo

Fair enough answer for me....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Aloysius
I think I suggested picking up Laws for a DE if he was available round 4ish way back when.

Quinn played with Carlson for 1 season (and Carlson is going to be a solid TE, imo) because he was sitting behind Anthony Fasano (who is now Jason Witten's towel boy) both good TE's at ND and good weapons for Quinn. Carlson often created Winslow-esque mismatches because of his size, speed & hands.

As much as it pains me to say it, Zibby will probably be a good safety for the Ratheap.

As one of the Domer's on the board I've long maintained that with a half-step more, Darius Walker would have been Barry Sanders.

And yes, Samardzija was a pigskin magnet when the Irish needed a big play (except during the fiesta bowl against tOSU. The coverage on him looked like the prison shower scene from American History X).

I'm pretty much with you on Walker. Still not sure why he fell out of the league; he looked pretty good as a rookie (4.6 YPC in Houston).

Parcells ended up bringing Fasano with him to Miami, which was another one of his smart roster moves. He caught 34 passes and scored 7 TD's last year.

And I think you're right to value what Samardzija brought to the team. I'm in the middle of a book on Weis's first year at ND; it mentions how excited Weis was to have two 6'5" wideouts to work with. Stovall may not be quick enough to separate from NFL corners, but he was a big help during Quinn's junior year (1149 yards, 11 TD's). I wonder how much losing Stovall contributed to the weaknesses some spotted (or imagined) in Quinn's game in '06.

Rhema Mcknight was injured Quinn's jr year, but was there for his Sr. He had Samardzija's hands but not his height - he could have been a difference maker in a couple close games (USC) and made some of the beatdowns a little closer (tOSU).

Forgot Tuna took Fasano the fellow Jersey boy to Miami. Pat White will look to use him as an outlet quite often if he can force himself not to take off and run with it.

Okay, Babaloo. Let's agree that you listed a bunch of decent but not great players and that Quinn carried Notre Dame his last two years.

Phew. Finally.

Shep, you keep trying to rationalize in some manner that Quinn carried that team even though he was surrounded by talent only a few NCAA Division one teams could match. Now you're playing the - They're not current NFL superstars - card. The all got drafted, which basically means if Notre Dame had actually been in any of the major conferences, those kids would have likely all been first or second team all-conference, maybe third team at worst. That list didn't even include all the free agent signings. Notre Dame has a history of getting major recruits, and it didn't stop suddenly around the time Quinn signed.

Quinn played with all these guys. He also played with guys like Ryan Grant of the Packers who wasn't drafted and also Jeff "the man responsible for Brady Quinn's career" Samardzija

Okay, what's the point?

2008 5 157 Roy Schuening OG Rams

2008 7 243 Joey LaRocque ILB Bears

2007 2 64 Sabby Piscitelli S Buccaneers

2007 6 189 Adam Koets OT Giants

2006 6 171 Mike Hass WR Saints

2006 6 178 Keith Ellison LB Bills

2005 6 184 Bill Swancutt DE Lions

2005 6 213 Derek Anderson QB Ravens

2005 7 254 Doug Nienhuis OT Seahawks

2004 1 24 Steven Jackson RB Rams

2004 2 51 Dwan Edwards DT Ravens

2004 4 109 Tim Euhus TE Bills

2004 4 127 Richard Seigler LB 49ers

2003 1 29 Nick Barnett LB Packers

2003 4 98 Dennis Weathersby CB Bengals

2003 5 147 James Lee DT Packers

2002 3 82 James Allen LB Saints

2001 2 36 Chad Johnson WR Bengals

2001 3 89 DeLawrence Grant DE Raiders

2001 6 185 Mitch White OT Saints

2001 7 204 T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR Bengals

And these are Derek's players.

Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow are responsible for DA's one hit wonder of a year.

So what's your point, jackass? I can play this game too.

Okay, what's the point?

Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow are responsible for DA's one hit wonder of a year.

Thanks Vegas.

No wonder Derek was so "successful" in college. That is a significant supporting cast.

I'm still wondering why Derek was so "successful" in the legendary Pro-Bowl appearance.

Heaven knows the supporting cast in the Pro-Bowl wasn't worth mentioning.

C'mon, it's Notre Dame. They get players.

But almost nobody would dispute the truth of those two Quinn-led teams, that they were beyond abysmal on defense and couldn't match up in the trenches with any Top 20 type of team. They got bullied.

The AP ranked Notre Dame #2 in the preseason in 2006. They had all the pieces to get some people excited. But it became clear they did not belong with the big boys.

And from what I've learned from the armchair QBs here all failures of a team fall entirely on the shoulders of the quarterback.

Or maybe that applies only in situations not involving your beloved Brady Quinn.

It applies when your defense holds teams to 10 points or less and the oaf behind center can't top that total.

You get an all pro performance out of your defense against the Steelers

you mean that game when Hurricane Ike was passing thru Cleveland? Way to go Ike, errr I mean Defense.

You never stop with the excuses when it comes to Anderson do you?

I beg your pardon, oh ye maniacally obsessed one.

The Hurricane Ike reference was in reply to your statement: all pro performance out of the defense

Sorry "Inspecta Man's Ass", but no the D was not All Pro.

nice rosy piece of fluff WPB.

Or should we just call you "Eric Murtaugh" now?

I didn't finish the article, but in that glorious remembrance of his college days, did it mention his stats in the bowl game where DA beat his ass down and won the game MVP?

LOL! Lookout - Loverboy straps on the Lancelot armor to fight for his man. He's breaking out the Hurricane Ike alibis as we speak.

What do you call a passing game led by Dumb Ass? Pointless. Other acceptable answers include: a coma, nightmare, "no brains no gains" or end of a head coaching career.

Why is it that DA only completes Loverboy? If he could only complete a forward pass half as easily we wouldn't have to pray for another QB with brains above the ass.

- Tom F. (I wonder if Dumb Ass autographed Loverboy's dildo yet)

Guest Aloysius
C'mon, it's Notre Dame. They get players.

But almost nobody would dispute the truth of those two Quinn-led teams, that they were beyond abysmal on defense and couldn't match up in the trenches with any Top 20 type of team. They got bullied.

Quinn had decent skill talent around him, but that might be generous. None of them is making any impact on the next level and it was often pointed out that those ND receivers couldn't separate from big-time corners. Jeff S. was slated for round 2 or 3 before he realized himself that he'd never get open in the NFL.

As far as I know, that wasn't part of the equation. My understanding is that it was more of the Dave Winfield calculus: in baseball, you play longer & don't wreck your body.

As far as ND's talent, people justified Willingham's firing based on the claim that he wasn't bringing in "players". In reality, it seems like he was bringing in talented guys, just not the volume of players needed to consistently compete. Remember, one of the recruits ND lost when Willingham was fired was a guy named Brian Cushing.

re: Samardzija

As far as I know, that wasn't part of the equation. My understanding is that it was more of the Dave Winfield calculus: in baseball, you play longer & don't wreck your body.

Yeah that, plus he throws gas. And at 6'5" he's halfway to the plate before he even lets go.

..Samardzija's fastball was clocked at 97 mph..

Okay, what's the point?

Right off the top, I see at least a couple names that finished their eligibility at OSU while DA was in high school. TJ, CJ, Mitch White and DeLawrence Grant come to mind, La Rocque wasn't even at OSU 'til DAs second year in the NFL, there 's at least one more that he didn't actually start with.

As far as ND's talent, people justified Willingham's firing based on the claim that he wasn't bringing in "players". In reality, it seems like he was bringing in talented guys, just not the volume of players needed to consistently compete. Remember, one of the recruits ND lost when Willingham was fired was a guy named Brian Cushing.

You are correct. Do a little research on Willingham's (lack of) OL recruits and you will see why he got fired.

It really is that simple.

Despite all the BS media sensationalism about race being an issue in the dismissal of the "Molder of Men," many of the same sports media playing the race card didn't expect much from ND the next year because "the cupboards were bare." Well, I wonder how they got that way.

You are correct. Do a little research on Willingham's (lack of) OL recruits and you will see why he got fired.

It really is that simple.

Despite all the BS media sensationalism about race being an issue in the dismissal of the "Molder of Men," many of the same sports media playing the race card didn't expect much from ND the next year because "the cupboards were bare." Well, I wonder how they got that way.

Eggs-actly. And I think Willingham was recently fired again.

Loverboy was the biggest Romeo Crennel fan I've ever seen mainly because they shared queer eye for the confused QB. All this stuff about Ty's firing and race is getting Loverboy excited about a stronger alibi than Hurricane Ike as we count down the final days of Dumb Ass starting. You know RAC was terrible when Reverend Al Sharpton confronted Randy Lerner about the firing with this question: "what took you so long?"

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

Quinn actually spoke out when Willingham was fired:

Quarterback Brady Quinn, who had a close relationship with Willingham, had this to say to reporters: "Think about it: It's not even allowing one of his recruiting classes to get all the way through."

• 1 month later...
Guest Aloysius

Re: Notre Dame's talent...

In his fourth NFL season, Stovall finally appears to be rounding into form. Here are his stats from the first quarter of tonight's preseason game:

6 receptions, 74 yards.Leftwich seems to be in love with him.

Re: Notre Dame's talent...

In his fourth NFL season, Stovall finally appears to be rounding into form. Here are his stats from the first quarter of tonight's preseason game:

6 receptions, 74 yards.Leftwich seems to be in love with him.

We've talked about Fasano too, Al. He's having a solid career in the NFL. But even still as a Jr., Samardzija was the receiving leader in every category, grabbing about 10 more catches, for 100 more yards & 4 more TD's than the next guy (Stovall with Fasano in tow).

I have stayed out of this QB debate on purpose. I don't really have a dog in the fight (sorry Michael Vick and PETA).

That said, the problem with QB competition is this (and I think it applies here).

Frequently, you're trying to distinguish whether one guy is better than another when they really are about the same. It's like trying to guess which five gallon jar has more jelly beans. Probably one does but they're so close...you can't tell the difference. In the end, they may have different traits but (on average) they'll grade out about the same.

This isn't to say that one couldn't be better down the road but RIGHT NOW...they're the same.

So I say pick the one whose downside you can live with and let him get snaps with the 1's before the Minnesota game.

Just my opinion.

I have stayed out of this QB debate on purpose. I don't really have a dog in the fight (sorry Michael Vick and PETA).

That said, the problem with QB competition is this (and I think it applies here).

Frequently, you're trying to distinguish whether one guy is better than another when they really are about the same. It's like trying to guess which five gallon jar has more jelly beans. Probably one does but they're so close...you can't tell the difference. In the end, they may have different traits but (on average) they'll grade out about the same.

This isn't to say that one couldn't be better down the road but RIGHT NOW...they're the same.

So I say pick the one whose downside you can live with and let him get snaps with the 1's before the Minnesota game.

Just my opinion.

Very good point earl the only real difference between them is DA has started 28 games and BQ has started 3 games as a pro it only makes sense that bq would likely get considerably better than DA if he gets the time to develop to where DA may give us the best chance to win in the shortrun bq is more likely to be theanswer in the mid to longrun of the season...

Film doesnt lie and DA is extremely one dimensional this is a recipe for a repeat of last year...

Archived