THE BROWNS BOARD

Quarterback Carousel

The Gipper

After the Super Bowl,  essentially, all of the Following QBs will be  Free Agents:

• Drew Brees
  • Tom Brady
  • Eli Manning...  Post below says he is retiring. 
  • Philip Rivers
  • Teddy Twatwater
  • Jameis Winston
  • Marcus Mariota
  • Chase Daniel
  • Case Keenum
  • Chad Henne
  • Drew Stanton
  • Colt McCoy
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Matt Moore

Further....each of the following teams MAY be looking for a new QB  this offseason:

Miami Dolphins

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

LA Chargers

....Carolina Panthers?    (status of Cam Newton health/contract?)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New Orleans Saints. 

......Denver Broncos   (will they stick with either Drew Lock or Flacco?) 

......Pittsburgh Steelers  (status of  BR health?)

Do you see any natural matchups where one of these teams would pick up one of the FA QBs for them? 

Some notes on the above:

A. Dolphins have Fitzpatrick/Rosen....do they stick with them.....look for FA,  or draft someone?

B. Jags like Dolphins.   They have Foles, Gardner Minshew.....do they stick with them, look for FA, or draft?

C. A Florida QB Trifecta.... Bucs Winston a FA..... chances they resign him?

D. Titans like Bucs.....Tannehill a FA....chances they resign him? 

E. Chargers.   Rivers moved permanently to Florida.  No reason for him to come back. (maybe he joins one of the 3 Fla teams?)

F. Colts  Are they still all in with Jacoby Brisset?  Seems like a no to me.   FA, draft? 

10 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Some notes on the above:

A. Dolphins have Fitzpatrick/Rosen....do they stick with them.....look for FA,  or draft someone? Probably drafting a QB

B. Jags like Dolphins.   They have Foles, Gardner Minshew.....do they stick with them, look for FA, or draft? Jags are stuck with Foles for at least this year, there's a horrendous cap hit releasing him- he's due a ton of money . Doesn't mean they won't draft a replacement. 

C. A Florida QB Trifecta.... Bucs Winston a FA..... chances they resign him?

D. Titans like Bucs.....Tannehill a FA....chances they resign him? Tannehill wil either be extended or franchised. Adios Marcus... 

E. Chargers.   Rivers moved permanently to Florida.  No reason for him to come back. (maybe he joins one of the 3 Fla teams?) Or retire? 

F. Colts  Are they still all in with Jacoby Brisset?  Seems like a no to me.   FA, draft? Good question.

Steelers may be in the market for an eventual Ben replacement. Rudolph and Duck don't look like the long term answer. they're sort of stuck because they don't have a first round pick. They could probably get one- at the expense of trading TJ Watt.   

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Gip-Denver has their QB in Drew Lock. They will not be shopping. I look for more help in the OL early.

Here is a nice little early draft needs assessment for all teams.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/team-needs

OK,  you think Lock is the man in Denver going forward? I can buy that.   (I will stick to just qbs in this thread, though your "needs" link may be a proper subject for another thread)

D. Titans like Bucs.....Tannehill a FA....chances they resign him? Tannehill will either be extended or franchised. Adios Marcus..

So, correct me if I am wrong...when you franchise a player, you must pay him the average of the Top 5 paid  players at that position in the league.....which essentially means that Tannehill would be paid as one of the Top 2.5  QBs in the league.  I mean, he has had a productive year...but Top 2.5 QB? 

That fact also always has me scratching my head as to why players hate the franchise tag so much....it makes you one of the Top 3 paid players at your position,  which most franchise tagged players don't deserve.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

D. Titans like Bucs.....Tannehill a FA....chances they resign him? Tannehill will either be extended or franchised. Adios Marcus..

So, correct me if I am wrong...when you franchise a player, you must pay him the average of the Top 5 paid  players at that position in the league.....which essentially means that Tannehill would be paid as one of the Top 2.5  QBs in the league.  I mean, he has had a productive year...but Top 2.5 QB? 

That fact also always has me scratching my head as to why players hate the franchise tag so much....it makes you one of the Top 3 paid players at your position,  which most franchise tagged players don't deserve.

Which is why we tagged a PK, albeit a very good one. Players hate it because they want a long term deal with high guarantees. Definitely makes sense for a RB

I forgot one other team that may be looking for a Quarterback:

The New England Patriots.

If Brady takes off, they will need somebody.   Unless they are willing to roll the dice with Jarrett Stidham.   And you know who their third stringer behind Brady and Stidham is?     Cody Kessler.

• Sad 1

On 1/20/2020 at 4:21 PM, The Gipper said:

After the Super Bowl,  essentially, all of the Following QBs will be  Free Agents:

• Drew Brees
  • Tom Brady
  • Eli Manning
  • Philip Rivers
  • Teddy Twatwater
  • Jameis Winston
  • Marcus Mariota
  • Chase Daniel
  • Case Keenum
  • Chad Henne
  • Drew Stanton
  • Colt McCoy
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Matt Moore

Further....each of the following teams MAY be looking for a new QB  this offseason:

Miami Dolphins

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

LA Chargers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New Orleans Saints. 

Do you see any natural matchups where one of these teams would pick up one of the FA QBs for them? 

You can add Andy Dalton to that list as well.

27 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

You can add Andy Dalton to that list as well.

He is not a FA.    I thought there were still options or something. Or that he was still under contract.   I suppose anyone can be released, it just depends on what it costs the Bengals if they want to let him go

On 1/21/2020 at 11:17 AM, The Gipper said:

It's better to pay him as a top 2.5 qb for one year to make sure what you have in him than to pay him 15-20 mil a year for 5 years and find out this year was a fluke or flash in the pan season. As someone else said players want stability of a longer term deal without worrying about getting injured during a year where you are tagged and your value dropping significantly. There are other reasons why most don't like being tagged that I'll dive into later if you're really interested. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

It's better to pay him as a top 2.5 qb for one year to make sure what you have in him than to pay him 15-20 mil a year for 5 years and find out this year was a fluke or flash in the pan season. As someone else said players want stability of a longer term deal without worrying about getting injured during a year where you are tagged and your value dropping significantly. There are other reasons why most don't like being tagged that I'll dive into later if you're really interested. 

We got all day. It’s your world we’re just living in it. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

We got all day. It’s your world we’re just living in it. 

Sorry I was at work on my last break. Another reason players don't like to be franchised is while they are paid well it may keep them from getting as lucrative as a second or third contract. Just like a rookie wants to get to their second contract because that's where the big bucks comes in, all players want to get to their next contract as soon as possible while playing as well as possible.  Franchise tagging delays that player from their 2nd or 3rd or extreme cases 4th contract.  

For example let's say the browns tag baker in his 6th year after his rookie deal expires.  He's tagged for one year (if not two) then signs a 5 year deal.  Hopefully for us browns fans he is still doing well but that puts him going into his 11th or 12th year. He's not likely to get a great deal at that point in his career unless he is playing phenomenally.  If he's in his 10th year (no tagging) he's way more likely to earn a pretty decent third contract. Let's say in both situations in his 9th year he is a top 10 qb. In situation where he hasn't been tagged he's going to get another 4 to 5 year deal that pays him well. In the situation where he has been tagged for 2 years he still has to maintain that level for 2 more years to get the same deal.  Typically skills go down as you get older so it's normally harder to play at that level in years 11 and 12. Also a 4th contract is more likely at year 14 than year 16.

That being said being tagged for two years worked out wonderfully for Kirk cousins. 

We are losing Drew Stanton......   No real loss there that I can see.  Garrett Gilbert still on the roster as backup.

But do these Assumptions make sense?:

Assume Foles stays and starts in Jax.

Assume Tannehill stays and starts in Titland.

Assume Brees stays and starts in NOLA

Assume Newton stays and starts in Carolina

Assume Lock starts in Denver

Assume BR starts in Pitts  ( i.e assume that they do not sign a FA replacement for him.)

Assume both Eli and Rivers  call it quits.

So that gives us this:

1.  Miami,    Indianapolis,   Chargers,   Tampa Bay    become the only teams left looking for a viable QB

2. That leaves Brady,    Bridgewater,   Winston as only viable starting QB  FA candidates   (unless any of you think Mariota, Keenum can start somewhere.)     

3. I did not assume Winston would go back to TB.    But, could he, if he gets no real better deal?  Or are the Bucs done with him?

4.  Are there ANY really viable options for Brady except NE...and Chargers?

5. Could Twatwater be a major target for any team? 

On 1/21/2020 at 2:57 AM, hoorta said:

Steelers may be in the market for an eventual Ben replacement. Rudolph and Duck don't look like the long term answer. they're sort of stuck because they don't have a first round pick. They could probably get one- at the expense of trading TJ Watt.   

unless they see a qb with the talent of burrow...they ain't trading tj watt...that would  be something the browns would do and pay for it for  the next several yrs..

On 1/20/2020 at 4:21 PM, The Gipper said:

• Drew Brees
  • Tom Brady
  • Eli Manning...  Post below says he is retiring. 
  • Philip Rivers
  • Teddy Twatwater
  • Jameis Winston
  • Marcus Mariota
  • Chase Daniel
  • Case Keenum
  • Chad Henne
  • Drew Stanton
  • Colt McCoy
  • Ryan Tannehill
  • Matt Moore

Miami Dolphins

Jacksonville Jaguars

Tennessee Titans

Indianapolis Colts

LA Chargers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New Orleans Saints. 

dolt mccoy is still in the nfl........what a wonderful draft pick that one was for us....typical....

On 1/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, The Gipper said:

He is not a FA.    I thought there were still options or something. Or that he was still under contract.   I suppose anyone can be released, it just depends on what it costs the Bengals if they want to let him go

Regarding the Bengals and Dalton. You're correct that he's not a free agent. However the reports from Cinci are Andy has pretty much worn out his welcome in Bungle-land. It's a 95%+ certainty he's played his last game with the Stripers. The way his contract is structured, he can be traded or cut with no dead money involved. He's he's got one year left on his contract at $17 million. In the current QB market- about middle of the pack for a one year rent-a-player. All Dalton's guaranteed money has already been paid, so I'm not certain the Bengals would be obligated to pay it should they flat-out cut him. They'll try to get a low round pick in a trade before they go that route though. 

And though you don't want to admit it, Joe Burrow is going to be his replacement. Yeah, the Bengals just said they'll listen to offers for the #1 overall pick- but it's going to have to be something totally insane to get them to move it. The bidding will start at three first round picks and a lot more....  The only team realistically in a position to do so is the Dolphins, and they're reported to be content to sit right where they are and take Tua Tags instead.