THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns still keeping training camp schedule a secret

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Cleveland Browns still keeping training camp schedule a secret

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Tuesday July 21, 2009, 12:45 PM

Updated at 3:14 p.m.

CLEVELAND -- Browns fans come from far and wide to visit the team's training camp in Berea. For many, it's an annual pilgrimage -- their chance to inspect the new players and coaches from a perspective closer than they'll ever get.

They'd like to know the daily schedule of practices so they can plan their trips.

But so far, the Browns have not released their schedule. They're one of the few teams not to do so.

According to Neal Gulkis, Browns director of public relations, the team hopes to release details of training camp on Wednesday. He attributed the delay to road reconstruction projects surrounding the Browns facility.

"We are still finalizing some things from a logistical and scheduling standpoint, and want to avoid putting things out on a piecemeal basis as much as possible," Gulkis wrote in an email.

A source in New York said that in three years as Jets coach, Eric Mangini never released the camp schedule more than a few days ahead of time. In fact, last year Mangini did not announce the time and date of the team's last practice at their Hofstra University headquarters until midnight the night before.

The team has acknowledged only that its first team practices open to the public are on August 1 and that the annual Family Fun Night scrimmage at Cleveland Browns Stadium is August 9.

Damn, I have two seperate events planned around this damn practice. This is stupid, I see no point in keeping it a secret.

I know I'm takin a day off of work and driving over an hour to see this. It'd be nice to know so I can get details hammered out.

Here is the secret.. They are going to stretch, run, practice blocking, tackling, running plays, and watch a lot of film. No big mystery. Besides the first preseasongame is on August 15th.. It won't take long to see what's happening. Coaches want to create this aura of mystery..It's a load of bs.....it's training camp..same as it ever was. I live in arizona so it's nothing to me.. now if I were close enough to go like some of you.. that's different.. but they will release a schedule at some point. It was always easy to get in there when I used to live in cleveland.

Archived