THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL executive: Browns' quarterback situation is shaky

OconRecon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...ation-is-shaky/

NFL executive: Browns' quarterback situation is shaky

Posted by Aaron Wilson on July 22, 2009 1:35 PM ET

The Cleveland Brown' pending quarterback competition shapes up as an interesting training camp battle between former Notre Dame star Brady Quinn and former Pro Bowl quarterback Derek Anderson.

And while Quinn is widely believed to be the initial favorite, the word around the league is that the Browns could have issues under center regardless of who ultimately wins the job.

An executive from a competing AFC team recently told Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the Browns have the worst quarterback situation in the AFC North.

"The Browns are the only team in the North that doesn't have a big-time quarterback," the anonymous executive said. "Ben [Rapelisberger] has two Super Bowl rings. When Carson Palmer is healthy, he is one of the best.

"The kid in Baltimore [Joe Flacco] may end up being really good. If you're the Browns, you have to play those guys six times. And Baltimore and Pittsburgh also have great defenses."

While Browns coach Eric Mangini is expected to conduct a demanding training camp that will create game situations to test each candidate, the rival executive is skeptical about each quarterback for different reasons.

"Derek Anderson can throw down field, but his touch on short passes isn't good," the execuive said. "He will stretch the defense, but does he bring the intangibles that you want from the position?

"Quinn has those intangibles, but if we play him, we're putting eight guys [in the box] and daring him to throw downfield. That takes away their running game, unless Brady can make the throws. I'm not sure who is the best bet for them."

So, that old adage about a team that touts itself as having two good quarterbacks not really having a viable passing game is starting to come to mind.

Just because some exec. in the division says this... Does not make it true.. I cannot wait for us to light these suckers up and show we do have a big time qb on this team. Let him live in his diluded little world where we don't have a qb. Cool by me.

Yeah, I saw this but didn't post it because the reasons they state for out "shake" QB spot are based on a bunch of "if's and maybe's".

"The kid in Baltimore [Joe Flacco] may end up being really good.

and

When Carson Palmer is healthy, he is one of the best

As for Ben...I won't touch that for now...but the other 2. Come on. What do either of those teams have as backups to their "when healthy" and "may end up" QB's?

Nothing. Absolutely NOTHING>

So, if BQ starts and ends up shitting the bed, we still have a guy with experience and who has shown he CAN (under the right circumstances) light up a defense. If DA starts and ends up shitting the bed, we still have a highly touted 1st rounder coming off the bench...and Ratliff has some experience too.

The Browns would literally have to have BOTH QB's shit the bed to equal the shakiness of the "when healthy" Bengals and "may end up" Ravens.

Anyway...I personally think if you want to mock the Browns QB situation go ahead, but to call it the worst in the AFC North is a bit far-fetched.

Palmer has missed 15 games due to injury of a possible 80 (almost 20%) since being drafted

Flacco, while doing well, had sub 70 QBR in 9 of 19 starts...and had 6 multiple INT games...so is far from a lock.

I agree with you all about Flacco and Palmer being healthy is no gaurantee. But I said thanks about the article because I agree with some parts of it(not the worst QB situation).

If DA starts we already know what teams will do to defend him. And if he does not improve in the short game then he is a shaky QB.

If BQ starts then teams will probably make him show that he can beat them long like they did to DA his first several games. I do not know if he can or if he can't but if he can't then it will be very tough to run the ball or get much out of BQs short range accuracy.

I do agree that both QBs are flawed, that is he part I agree with.

I do envy teams who don't have a QB decision on the docket.

Let them load the box with 8 against Quinn and I'm betting he'll

burn them. It's a bad defensive plan. The best way to rattle Quinn is the same as any QB: tons of pressure.

(Agree it's a fairly weak article, but I'm about to go nuts without football! I'll post damn near anything right now!!)

Flacco, to me, is the prime example of a QB getting too much credit. Does he deserve a good portion of credit for Baltimore's success? Sure, I guess, but one thing these guys keep in mind is that people will now key in on him.

Also, if Derrick Mason retires, he will lose the best true wideout the Ravens have had since their arrival in Baltimore. Good luck with that.

Both Flacco and the Ravens are prime candidates to take a step back this year. Perhaps not far enough for the Browns or Bengals to leap frog them, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me.

The last four times the Ravens have made the playoffs, they failed to make it the following year.

2001 - 10-6, playoff berth

2002 - 7-9

2003 - 10-6, playoff berth

2004 - 9-7

2005 - 6-10

2006 - 13-3, playoff berth

2007 - 5-11

2008 - 11-5, playoff berth

If I had to guess, factoring the potential loss of Mason, the age of players like Ray Lewis, Trevor Pryce, Kelly Gregg and a few others not to mention the loss of both Bart Scott and Jim Leonhard, is a lot to throw their way and expect them to rebound against a tougher schedule.

I'd say the Ravens are in the park for a record between 7-9 and 9-7.

I agree with you OCONRECON.. I'll put my money on quinn. Let them put 8 in the box. I'll take Braylon over the top against any DB in our division... and I KNOW... I am not guessing.. I KNOW quinn has enough arm to make them pay.. There is ample evidence showing his deep ball.

You don't think Daboll KNOWS Quinn is going to see 8 in the box? I am guessing he is quietly smiling knowing he has a guy like Braylon who is going to make them pay dearly for thier dilusions. For those of you who are skeptics as to Quinns arm strength.. that's cool. Your going to be very happy real soon. except for maybe lums since he is not really a Browns fan.

Amen Sez.EJ.

As for Lum, there is no "evidence" to show this plan has ever worked against Quinn. Do we really have to post YouTube videos again showing Quinn throwing TD passes to the endzone while standing on his own 45? Pfffft.

Guest TheJokersWILD

If this exec is so confident then let his name be known. I find it funny that his name wasn't given. I personally think he is from the Bengals since they can't stop the run for shit and would have to put 8 men in the box anyhow.

Don't get too caught up in this exec's quotes. They're legit if you stop and think about it.

DA: Has trouble with the short routes.

Plan: Take away the intermediate routes and force him to beat you with short passes.

This has proven to be successful against DA. Its a fact. He has to prove otherwise against a pretty large body of evidence gathered over the past few NFL seasons.

BQ: Has not completed long passes.

Plan: Stack 8 in the box and force him to beat us long.

This is what any of us would do. The difference here is the sample size at the NFL level. Quinn has a fraction of NFL reps when compared to DA.

Ask yourself this question: What is more likely based on the body of NFL evidence? Quinn proves he can throw downfield or DA perfects his accuracy.

If this exec is so confident then let his name be known. I find it funny that his name wasn't given. I personally think he is from the Bengals since they can't stop the run for shit and would have to put 8 men in the box anyhow.

I thought it was probably from the Baltimore because he sounded like he thought Flacco was a sure thing and I think that most people agree that a healthy Palmer is a darn good Quarterback.

Leaguewide "respect" for Rapelisberger is grossly overwhelming so it doesn't suprise me someone would talk about him that way.

Agreed. It just amazes me when people want to make Flacco into some stud quarterback based on the way he played last year. He may have played well FOR A ROOKIE, but he's far from proving anything.

That just isn't a fair statement...the guy played great...had he been a Brown, or Quinn plays as well, he will be HOF qualified by the masses.

Why do you find it funny??

Sources quit being sources if you start naming them.

If you think Pluto is a liar and just fabricated the story...say so.

Quinn hasn't had enough field time to prove he can actually do it on a consistent basis, but if a team comes hard at him, he has the ability to burn them...he's fast, elusive, strong, has a quick release, & is smart. Not a bad gamble in my book. Once again, "we'll see".

Mike

Don't get too caught up in this exec's quotes. They're legit if you stop and think about it.

DA: Has trouble with the short routes.

Plan: Take away the intermediate routes and force him to beat you with short passes.

This has proven to be successful against DA. Its a fact. He has to prove otherwise against a pretty large body of evidence gathered over the past few NFL seasons.

BQ: Has not completed long passes.

Plan: Stack 8 in the box and force him to beat us long.

This is what any of us would do. The difference here is the sample size at the NFL level. Quinn has a fraction of NFL reps when compared to DA.

Ask yourself this question: What is more likely based on the body of NFL evidence? Quinn proves he can throw downfield or DA perfects his accuracy.

Greythan: I agree the smart thing for our opponents to do is to put 8 in the box and make quinn beat you. He does not have much experience. Teams would be stupid not to put 8 in the box and make him prove he can beat it...

HOWEVER, He CAN beat 8 in the box. I am not saying Quinn is the next Montana. I have watched the kid since High school. He is smart. he has a very good arm ..He will be a good QB.. how good, I'm not sure..but he has huge upside... and mark my words... The 8 in the box to beat quinn will be out the window by game 4 when he torches a few teams and they have to play him honest.

The other thing I am hoping for... (key word HOPING) is that our offensive line is still good enough to run against 8 in the box effectively...That will really screw up the 8 in the box thing.. Robert Royal and the Development of Lawrence Vickers blocking skills coming into his 4th year will help that..

It is my very strong belief that Quinn will make people pay early in the season.. Quinn may play it safe against an excellent Vikings defense in week one.. but he will make Denver, Baltimore, and Cinci back the F- off the next 3 weeks. I stand by me statement that I will put my bet on Quinn vs 8 in the box. Teams will be backing off of that by week 4... You heard it here first...

Oh and I am not a quinn fag.. I like DA.. just not nearly as much as Quinn. Oh, and by the way.. I did not want to draft quinn.. I was pissed. Ask Shepwrite.. I hammered him the whole time saying we would not draft quinn. I wanted to go a different direction with the draft. But I support all the guys on the roster...OK I admit... I hate steptoe.

What's really funny is that last year at this time people were saying that Cleveland had one of the best QB situations in the league. Flacco could very well fall on his face since I think he was a product of their defense last year. Changes occur with injuries and QBs get more credit and blame then they deserve usually. Football is a game about team.

Anderson very well may have had a very good year if Edwards catches the passes thrown at him and they had a receiver on the opposite side or Edwards. Also, great lines make average QBs look great and the opposite is as true. Quinn may end up walking into a great situation with a line that will be a big upgrade over last year and a receiving corps that will stop teams from loading the box. I don't believe any team is going to man up our WRs and let Quinn take a shot at them. He may not be the most accurate deep thrower in the league but he is accurate enough to hurt you if you give him the opening. Guys don't make it to the NFL if they can't throw deep. Even Chad Pennington, the weakest arm in the NFL, will beat you deep if given the opening.

Better OL makes a better running game. Solid to above average TEs and slot receivers to go along with guys on the outside who can take the ball makes teams talk about putting 8 in the box more then they will do it. Teams would rather make you march the field then let you score a quick TD.

I take a "EXEC from another team" comment as more talk then that teams coaches opinions. It just isn't that easy if you have the other pieces. Last year when the team was in disarray and we had a lot of injuries teams could do that. I don't think this staff would be predictable enough to let a team do that.

Im a big Quinn supporter, but I do believe there is the chance he doesnt pan out. If thats the case I say we go after 1 or 2 NFL young backups

Colt Brennan

and

Troy Smith

Colt has flashed some amazing ability in preseason games amassing a rather large number of touchdowns. He's just hasnt been given a shot, he has had a chip on his shoulder since high school. Oh and John Madden thinks he's the second coming!

Troy, the true hometown hero. He's inconsistent but still has yet to throw a pick in an NFL game. He has a GREAT arm, very mobile, and decently accurate (more than DA).

I think Mangini already has his backup ready. Ratliff.that's why we got him in the trade. Rumor had it he could have won the starting job in New York. The Trade of Ratliff to Cleveland guarenteed the qb pick by the Jets. If they did not make that trade with us.. They likey would NOT have taken a QB in the first round. Just something to think about.. I am excited to see him in preseason.. Maybe he is the darkhorse none of us are seeing in this QB mix. I doubt he's ready yet.. But I hear good things..

Agreed. It just amazes me when people want to make Flacco into some stud quarterback based on the way he played last year. He may have played well FOR A ROOKIE, but he's far from proving anything.

He had what I call an incredible margin of error with that defense and strong running game. It was the TYPE of margin of error that made winning a Superbowl possible for a doofus like Dilfer in the same rat dump.

As I've been saying for at least a month, we gave Dumb Ass 2 games where our defense only gave up 10 points (DA couldn't win either). Trouble was Dumb Ass gave up 7 in one of those games he remained careless as our offense couldn't score a TD in either of those. Flacco was winning those kinds of games because he had something between the ears telling his eyes "don't throw to the different color jersey." DA doesn't have that. Therefore, how much more time and millions of dollars do we need to waste on DA?

- Tom F.

The Browns are slowly building a core group of players on both sides of the ball. When Mangini is finished tinkering with the players he has and will draft we will be left with an offense that you can plug in any qb. It will help if the qb's a Palmer or Manning etc. but it won't be absolutly needed.

A qb who doesn't lose games is just as good as one who wins games, when surrounded by quality teammates.

Archived