THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Ryan Tucker good to go?

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Steve Doerschuk seems to think so:

We caught up with Ryan Tucker recently, but not right away, as we were told to call back in a bit because he was off lifting weights in Texas.

When we did talk to the veteran lineman, we were fairly well convinced he can return to a big role, and the last time he was in one the Browns beat the defending Super Bowl champion Giants.

The boys were “this close” to making the playoffs with Tucker playing right guard down the stretch of the 2007 campaign.

We are convinced Tucker can be a force at right guard if he gets the call at that spot. He’s comfortable there, and he was a beast for the most part when he played there in ‘07.

If the new regime wants it back at right tackle, well, he certainly knows that drill, too.

Terry Pluto sounds a little less optimistic:

The interesting guy to me is Ryan Tucker. Now, Ryan had more injury problems again. I know he went to all the camps. His body did not feel great during the spring. He does want to continue to play. How many games you can get out of the guy is the key. Because even if they can get him to play eight or ten games, he is a powerful run-blocker. I mean, the team just plays better when Ryan Tucker's in there.

Same thing with Heiden. They play better with Heiden in there. Of course, Heiden's coming off of knee surgery.

As Pluto notes, we've got enough depth on our line to make things run okay even if Tucker can't play. But without him, our right side does look fairly mediocre.

ready or not...all seem a bit concerned with his heath and for sure his age....all the more reason a big RT prospect has to be on the browns horizon sooner rather than later in the next drat or two.

Everybody seems concerned about Tucker's health except Tucker. He keeps saying that he is feeling great and reqady to go. Sometimes sportswriters need to look or find something controversial to write about.

I say pencil him in and let's worry about some other problem, like a pass rush.

I think we all agree that we are better with a healthy Tucker in the lineup regardless of guard or tackle.. We will just have to see how he holds up. Maybe he has to be a situational player to keep his reps limited..that's ok if we can get some value out of him.. However, if he is not up to it..that's that.. move on.. younger stronger faster..that's the way of the league..Let's just pray the depth we THINK we have is as good as it looks to be on paper

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aloysius

Just so it doesn't get buried in the whole QB discussion, I'll re-post this piece of info;

Ryan Tucker said he did contemplate retirement following minicamp, but said he's now in a good frame of mind and anxious for his 13th NFL season. Tucker has battled injuries the last couple years but said he's worked hard to come back and being around his teammates has him ready for football. Tucker was clean shaven and wearing his hair short for the first time "since second grade," he joked.

I've also heard that Tucker struggled during the first day of practice. Can anyone who was there confirm this?

Just so it doesn't get buried in the whole QB discussion, I'll re-post this piece of info;

I've also heard that Tucker struggled during the first day of practice. Can anyone who was there confirm this?

If he continues to struggle, don't be shocked if he changes his mind and retires.

As a tenured vet, Mangini and staff will tell him the score and give him the chance to retire before they just cut him loose.

I would be really suprised if tucker could make it longer then 4-5 games without a season ending injury a fresh strong young replacement has to be on mankoks mind..its going to be the weak link to this years offensive effort if ryan tucker retires or gets hurt....

Guest ATENEARS
(Zac Jackson)

Ryan Tucker said he did contemplate retirement following minicamp, but said he's now in a good frame of mind and anxious for his 13th NFL season. Tucker has battled injuries the last couple years but said he's worked hard to come back and being around his teammates has him ready for football. Tucker was clean shaven and wearing his hair short for the first time "since second grade," he joked.

Here's a picture taken after the morning practice on Saturday Aug 1st., Tucker is seated in the middle, next to Joe Thomas:

Tucker.jpg

As I stated elsewhere, Tucker seemed to have a problem with his eyes, and focusing on objects in front of him. He blinked rapidly and rubbed his eyes, complaining to Joe T that he couldn't "focus" ... his eyes didn't seem to fix on anything ... didn't look very good to me. Looked physically fine, but not exactly there upstairs.

Here's a picture taken after the morning practice on Saturday Aug 1st., Tucker is seated in the middle, next to Joe Thomas:

Tucker.jpg

As I stated elsewhere, Tucker seemed to have a problem with his eyes, and focusing on objects in front of him. He blinked rapidly and rubbed his eyes, complaining to Joe T that he couldn't "focus" ... his eyes didn't seem to fix on anything ... didn't look very good to me. Looked physically fine, but not exactly there upstairs.

Wasn't the writing kind of on the wall in 2007? He got busted for roids following his AWOL season. Last year, he returned to the wear and tear status. Folks, don't forget in 2001 and 2002, this guy had injuries that should have been surgically repaired that he played through. That's BOUND to have a consequence sooner or later. He's a basically a 13 year vet having trouble saying good bye. I've been wrong before - but his mind body connection doesn't look like it's wired for his best football ahead. Maybe Foster and Womack can compete with Hadnot to upgrade the performance at RG in 09.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

One can only hope that Tucker's mental fatigue is temporary, like what a kid experiences on the first day back at school after being sick for a week. But it does seem to put into question whether he's the type of guy Mangini would want to start next to a rookie center.

Archived