THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson over Quinn

Zombo

yeah, and you sound like your own biggest fan.

funny, i almost said that to you before. it definitely comes through in your writing, just thought you'd like to know that.

First off,

I wasn't saying that to you. Lumbergh has constantly attacked me as a "wanna-be" writer because I write for a rival school and I am not a DA fan. If I was on here rubbing Derek Anderson's ego he wouldn't even question my credibility.

Secondly, I can go through your posts and probably come up with the same distinction that you did with me. Everyone on here has some form of attitude and gets defensive at times. I am not different, neither are you.

You can go back and forth with me all day long but one thing I ask people not to do is attack what I do for a living. I'm no "wanna-be" or poser. I am serious about my work and I do a diligent job. So for some dickwad like him to attack me simply because I don't like Derek Anderson makes me pretty defensive.

Perhaps that is what he is trying to do and if it is, bravo... great job.

Did that comment come off as arrogant? Yeah of course, but that was my goal and it was directed towards someone specific.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I gotta say it's really cute how Sisky thanks Z for every post.

Second, screw all the numbers and stats. Have you guys watched DA play QB?

I swear, fans around the league that have seen DA consistently must think we're morons for even thinking DA could be the long term answer. Most moron Pitt fans I know may hate Brady like Lums, but they know DA has sucked. Hence, they hate Brady cuz he couldn't be any worse and he shows potential.

This is how we get guys hating on DA, by constantly having to explain why he hasn't been good.

I can see it now, Quinn gets hurt for good or traded, and 4 years from now after an aggregate record of 500 or below we'll still have DA putting up 60 QB ratings. But, we can still harken back to the glorious days of 2007's first half against monkey defenses, Edwards, Winslow and JJ catching everything thrown at them and a stud line led by Tucker, JT and Steiny....hell, even Kevvy Shafe had a good year.

I love this shit..................what are we going to do when we actually have to get behind a starter?

as a passionate Browns fan it is simply not in my programming to sit idly by and allow people to bash the guy just for the sake of bashing him. just trying to keep the board honest about it is like digging a sand hole at the beach while the tide is coming in.

your suggestion is duly noted, maybe you should try it as well. ;)

I do, which is why I say over and over that may the best man win. Then, when I say I think the winner will be Quinn, I get accused of being a Quinn fag and get attacked by people like Lumbergh. Throughout the process, conversations tend to escalate.

In all honesty, I think if anything, people want to see Derek Anderson sit on the bench not because they dislike him or want him to fail, but they don't want to deal with these Oregon State fans like him anymore. It wasn't just Lumbergh though. Anyone who posts over at theOBR knows there were a large contingent of Beavers fans picking fights with Browns fans constantly until DA was benched last year.

To be honest, it's frustrating.

Second, screw all the numbers and stats. Have you guys watched DA play QB?

I swear, fans around the league that have seen DA consistently must think we're morons for even thinking DA could be the long term answer. Most moron Pitt fans I know may hate Brady like Lums, but they know DA has sucked. Hence, they hate Brady cuz he couldn't be any worse and he shows potential.

This is how we get guys hating on DA, by constantly having to explain why he hasn't been good.

I can see it now, Quinn gets hurt for good or traded, and 4 years from now after an aggregate record of 500 or below we'll still have DA putting up 60 QB ratings. But, we can still harken back to the glorious days of 2007's first half against monkey defenses, Edwards, Winslow and JJ catching everything thrown at them and a stud line led by Tucker, JT and Steiny....hell, even Kevvy Shafe had a good year.

I love this shit..................what are we going to do when we actually have to get behind a starter?

Don't forget about the 2008 Giants game!

:) not every post Rif, just the ones i agree with. same i do for everybody. besides, there were a few i didn't. :P

my name is so sad and naked out there under his posts because this place is so cliquey and divided...well maybe that's not the right term. more like if you opened up a loaf of bread, removed the heel and maybe another slice-that's the DA representation. the rest of the "loaf" won't even toss either of us a simple thanks even when we're being totally fair and balanced regarding the QB's. i know, i've tried it. so go ahead and hate just because i respect contributing Browns. i'll be doing the same for as long as i'm alive.

:) not every post Rif, just the ones i agree with. same i do for everybody. besides, there were a few i didn't. :P

my name is so sad and naked out there under his posts because this place is so cliquey and divided...well maybe that's not the right term. more like if you opened up a loaf of bread, removed the heel and maybe another slice-that's the DA representation. the rest of the "loaf" won't even toss either of us a simple thanks even when we're being totally fair and balanced regarding the QB's. i know, i've tried it. so go ahead and hate just because i respect contributing Browns.

Who is a clique? It's all in your mind dude. Z is one of the most popular and funny guys we have here. If I'm in a clique for Brady to start, than I guess you'd be right. Me and my frat boys gonna do some hazing on DA lovers for real yo.

I just think it's really special how you agree with Zombo is all .......I was going to insert a wink but I think those things are gay.

Who is a clique? It's all in your mind dude. Z is one of the most popular and funny guys we have here. If I'm in a clique for Brady to start, than I guess you'd be right. Me and my frat boys gonna do some hazing on DA lovers for real yo.

I just think it's really special how you agree with Zombo is all .......I was going to insert a wink but I think those things are gay.

i wasn't offended btw, just using the opportunity. and it is cliquey whether you realize it or not.

the above, is that some kind of thug reference? lol

i didn't even know fraternities were considered cliques, if they even are. my reference refers more to people's behavior.

and yes smilies/emoticons suck, but it's all we have here. in trying to get my messages across successfully i carry the burden of using them. in the past things have gone south due to a lack of context so i have incorporated their "fagginess".

i wasn't offended btw, just using the opportunity. and it is cliquey, whether you realize it or not. the above, is that some kind of thug reference? i didn't even know fraternities were considered cliques, if they even are. my reference refers more to people's behavior. and yes smilies/emoticons suck, but it's all we have here. in trying to get my messages across successfully i carry the burden of using them.

LOL, Sisky, we're boys but I think you take being accepted too personal at times. Who gives a shit, we're just a bunch of blowhard fans (although I swear I could out coach RAC 'n ROLLS.)--and I'm pretty sure Alo is as good as any GM we've had. Well, maybe not Dwight Clark ;)

maybe so, but i'm a details guy. i don't care as much about being accepted as it might seem, but when someone writes something i can see no flaw in and no one will admit they agree...it's cliquey. aka herd behavior. ;)

baaaaaaa.

maybe so, but i'm a details guy. i don't care as much about being accepted as it might seem, but when someone writes something i can see no flaw in and no one will admit they agree...it's cliquey. aka herd behavior. ;)

baaaaaaa.

Boosh!

You know, you're supposed to beat the bad teams. That's part of your job. You're supposed to smoke the Rams.

Anderson lined up against 15 NFL teams that year and we beat ten of them.

In the end, we fell one game short of the playoffs, but this Browns team was not the 85 Bears, folks. They ranked 30th in defense. Sure Anderson stunk in the second Bengal game. But if Dawson isn't blocked agains the Raiders, or he makes a field goal against the Steelers, or Winslow is in bounds against the Cardinals, or if the Colts play their starters versus Tenn ... we were in the playoffs with that #30 defense. Sure, we'd love an interception back. But what about a missed tackle or blown assignment on defense? Team game ... team game.

So before Anderson we lost to the bad teams and got clobbered by the good teams.

Then, with Anderson, we beat the bad teams and lost close games to the good teams.

Yes ... sounds like Anderson's fault.

He's basing it on the same things Camp BQ bases their love on: his college games, preseason games, film and scouting reports.

If one guy can say he's head & shoulders better than Anderson through that analysis, than another guy has the right to say he ain't gonna be good through that analysis.

But I agree with you ... he's unproven.

Zombo

I agree BQ is unproven as a pro...i loved watching him play in college but the nfl is a whole other beast we have all seen many/most of those first round college superstars fall from grace to the pro leagues unrelenting merciless pressures to end up average or below but at this point we all need to see if BQ can handle it and if he cant we will all know and if he can the real question becomes can he handle the team better then DA can...;)

One point Sisky made a page or so back I want to address:

DA's ceiling.

This has been hashed out a 100 times here, but I should clarify my thinking on his "ceiling". I'm referring to the near term ceiling.

Testaverde turned into a pretty decent QB in, what, his 10th year as a professional? Things finally (sorta?) started to click for him in terms of field vision and decision making. He also, as I recall, seemed to get a tad more touch on his short passes.

Maybe DA will mature.

Is it smart to bet on that with an alternative on the bench that may (repeat may) show more/faster ceiling?

We're coming off a horrid year and only us hardcore fans really think this team has any shot at being good. What better time to see what we've got with the other guy. If it looks like his ceiling after a year of starts is similar to DA's (unclear but looking to be low), then we can either a) reinvest in DA (unrealistic I know) or (more likely) B) get back into the QB sweepstakes.

I just don't see how hoping DA matures into a more accurate, better decision making, and less paralyzed-when-pressured QB makes sense. I think the over/under on that equation is negative. Ouch man.

Now... where do we go from here?

Let me save you the wait:

"But, but, but.....10 wins.....

but, but, but .....FIFTYLEVEN touchdowns.....

but, but, but ......Pro Bowl......

but, but, but .......Giants..........

but, but, but .......Braylons.....dropsies.......

but, but, but .......overrated Golden Boy........

but, but, but ......here a Quinn fag, there a Quinn fag, everywhere a Quinn fag........."

It's a lost cause shep.

You're talking to a wall developmentally challenged wall.

I think I should say something here. Just not sure what. I didn't know Sisky Fringo and I shared a commonality until tonight. In fact, his avatar always kinda freaked me out.

But .... dude makes a lot of sense. You guys are chasing Anderson around with torches and all he did was make this team better.

Don't understand the hate. I watched 2006 and then I watched 2007. QB was the most improved position.

In 2008 I watched the worst receiveing corps in NFL history.

Whatever. I hope Quinn is as good as I think he is.

But, at least if he's not, at least I know, and Sisky knows, that we'll be OK. We can win with Derek Anderson. I've seen it happen.

Zombo

Seriously ... we were 30th in defense in 2007 ... I'm dead fuckin serious ... look it up.

I think I should say something here. Just not sure what. I didn't know Sisky Fringo and I shared a commonality until tonight. In fact, his avatar always kinda freaked me out.

But .... dude makes a lot of sense. You guys are chasing Anderson around with torches and all he did was make this team better.

Don't understand the hate. I watched 2006 and then I watched 2007. QB was the most improved position.

In 2008 I watched the worst receiveing corps in in NFL history.

Whatever. I hope Quinn is as good as I think he is.

But, at least if he's not, at least I know, and Sisky knows, that we'll be OK. We can win with Derek Anderson. I've seen it happen.

Zombo

Seriously ... we were 30th in defense in 2007 ... I'm dead xxxxin serious ... look it up.

Anderson helped take a team with a relatively long recent history of 4/5/6 wins a season to 10 and 5... he obviously sucks!!! Sometimes I think you and Sisky are about the only sane posters on this board.

DA's passer rating over the past 18 starts is 68. Read it again. That just happened.

Yadda Yadda Yadda.

When did we start cutting things off at 18 games?

There's 2007, and then there's 2008.

In 2007, Anderson played very, very well. His stats weren't as good in the second half, however, I would like to report that I actually WATCHED the Bills game, and the Bengals game, and saw the field conditions.

He made mistakes ... BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PEOPLE WE WERE 30TH IN DEFENSE AND STILL WENT 10-5.

In 2008 he started the season with a concussion, and missing three of his four top receivers, and the #1 dropping more balls than than any #1 in recent memory. Of any team. Ever.

But let's hang the phucker.

Hey, Shep likes numbers, so let's stick to numbers:

Anderson's QB rating since Quinn was drafted: 77

Quinn's QB rating since Quinn was drafted: 65

Browns defensive rating in 2007: 30

Browns with Anderson starting past two years: 13-11

Browns with Anderson not starting past two years: 1-7

Why the hate? Why the hate???

If Quinn is so damn good .... then just do it. 11 wins. 4000 yards. 30 TDs. Anything less is ... Anderson.

Zombo

I just have a hard time believing that anyone here thinks Derek Anderson is a guy who will lead a team to the playoffs and maybe a Super Bowl over a decade of starting. He's nothing like "That Guy." He's inconsistent, not the sharpest hoe in the shed, not much of a leader, and sort of lazy.

Wow. I'm sorry I missed this one earlier.

Anderson is dumb and lazy ... and that's why Brady Quinn will be good!

Shep, posts like that scare the crap out of me and make me wonder about everything I have ever agreed with you on.

You don't NEED for DA to be "dumb and lazy" for Quinn to win the job ... he just needs to throw the football better and make more plays.

So why attack a good, solid Cleveland Brown like that?

I just don't get it.

Zombo

Let me save you the wait:

"But, but, but.....10 wins.....

but, but, but .....FIFTYLEVEN touchdowns.....

but, but, but ......Pro Bowl......

but, but, but .......Giants..........

but, but, but .......Braylons.....dropsies.......

but, but, but .......overrated Golden Boy........

but, but, but ......here a Quinn fag, there a Quinn fag, everywhere a Quinn fag........."

It's a lost cause shep.

You're talking to a wall developmentally challenged wall.

Just as reliable as the sun rising every morning.

During Anderson's best run ('07), he was our worst offensive player and ranked in the bottom half of QB's in the league. Since then, he has followed this up with declining performance. K2, BE, and Jamal were near the top of their respective categories that year. They were in the top and he was at the bottom half. So, who helped who look good?

DA seems likable, but he had his chance, and that Bengals game in '07 during his Pro Bowl year still was one of the worst clutch performances I've seen.

And I don't think most here hate him. It's just where the frustration is landing. RAC was likable too, but he had his chance. Next up. Quinn, Ratliff, Leo Farnsworth,... somebody.

During Anderson's best run ('07), he was our worst offensive player

According to what? I don't think the QB could ever be the worst offensive player on an effective offense, he's the one getting the ball to everybody.

He's the one getting the ball to Braylon, he's the one getting rid of the ball and not taking the sack...

I don't know how you "rank" offensive players, but I can tell you what coaches look for:

Touchdowns. First Downs. Yards. Moving the Football. Making plays.

And our offense was doing all of those things.

Coaches don't look at stats the nerdy way fans do, they look at production.

Now let's make a list of QBs in 2007 that threw for at least 3787 yards and at least 29 TDs:

Brady

Romo

Manning

Anderson

That's it.

Again .... we all look forward to 4000 and 30 from Quinn.

I keep being told we are actually better at TE and WR and the OL is improved this year ... so there is no reason to not expect Quinn's first year under center to be as effective as Anderson's.

Zombo

Per NFL.com. The day job is keeping me from having the time to post the links, but I've posted those stats like a broken record in the last year.

I'm just saying it's time to give another guy a chance.

If it doesn't work out, then draft Bradford.

As far as what coaches look for, here's some tidbits about the QB's and are also things coaches look for:

1. Quinn has good rhythm in the pocket

2. Quinn doesn't hang his receivers out to dry on a regular basis

3. Quinn has pocket presence

4. Quinn has an ability to extend the play

5. Quinn keeps his eyes down field

6. Quinn can run to pick up yards

7. Quinn can get rid of the ball quickly for a completion when blitzed

8. Quinn can also be patient and wait for a receiver to complete the route

1. Anderson isn't mobile. Anderson is so unathletic he can't throw a short pass with any touch on the ball.

2. Anderson makes a lot of really, really stupid decisions, especially with good protection.

3. Anderson seems to laugh at losing games.

4. Anderson makes Bernie Kosar seem elusive.

5. Anderson has singled handedly BLOWN games with his mistakes.

6. Anderson doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

7. Anderson telegraphs passes, thus the high INT #'s.

Here's the data (from this thread) :

In '07, Jamal was ranked 5th for RB's, K2 was 3rd for TE's and BE was 7th for WR's.

DA was ranked in the bottom half of QB's.

At his peak, DA was the drag on the offense. The shame is, 5 less interceptions in 1 game, his rating would have been much improved and the Browns would have been in the playoffs. But, it is what it is.

(OK, now off to the day job) :-)

I admit I have posted a lot of negatives about DA...and that at this point I think it is time to let BQ give it a try....but, the truth is I can see both QB's succeeding.

Looking at Ocon's lists...although a little too black and white...it does point out a few things that need to be considered.

DA and BQ are almost completely in contrast in their styles of play, but both have their pro's and con's...

Mobility:

DA is NOT mobile...however he does have a certain amount of pocket awareness. Many successful QB's played this style, where a step to the left or right was all that was needed to avoid the rush. The pro for this is that the OL always knows where their QB is going to be...so can adjust their techniques to protect that SPOT instead of trying to figure out where he is. The con for this is that teams can overload and go for that spot.

BQ is VERY mobile. In fact throwing on the run is something that he did often in college. The pro for this is that he has the ability to extend plays. He also brings the threat that he himself will take off and pick up yardage with his feet. The con for this is that the OL must be constantly aware of where he is and where he might go. It puts a lot more pressure on the TE/RB as they need to be aware of which way he goes to release properly. Also, mobile QB's have a tendency to run into sacks on occasion, and to force throws while on the run.

Accuracy:

DA is accurate on the long ball. It makes for some amazing, fast hitting, and exciting scores. He does have a tendency to throw behind the receiver on the short ball which can be a drive killer.

BQ is accurate for the most part (he does lose the zone occasionally) on the short and intermediate throws. However, it is pretty well documented that his long balls have a tendency to get too much air under them and flutter off target, which may cause INT's in the pros. He utilized his tall receivers a lot on the long passes in college...and luckily our #1 receiver does have some height, but you can't count on jump balls all the time.

Arm Strength:

DA has a cannon. No two ways about it, he has enough arm to put the ball through a cement wall. He is unchallenged in this area. Pro's are that he can wait on the deep route to develop and that he can fit the ball into a much smaller area allowing the receivers to be "open" with less separation. Con's are that QB's with cannon arms tend to rely on that too much and start taking chances on receivers that "are not" open. They also have a tendency to throw behind receivers due to their belief in their arm and overestimating the speed of the ball.

BQ has average arm strength. Some think a little more, but the ball speed coming out is about average. Pro's of this is that he can still make all the throws. QB's with average arm strength tend to be a little more accurate and less likely to squeeze the ball into tight coverage. Con's are that he must make decisions on long passes often before the play has fully developed. That will limit the long ball opportunities. It also means receivers will be required to get more separation to be open.

Pocket Presence:

DA always seems to be the same. Win or lose, good or bad, he has the same look on his face. Pro's of this are that players around him will generally mimic this and not get to high or too low. Slow and steady. Con's is there doesn't seem to be a rallying cry. He doesn't seem to have that extra gear that allows him to elevate not only HIS play, but the play of his supporting cast. Either way, it is obvious that his teammates like him.

BQ is lightening in a bottle. He is full on energy and take charge. Pro's of this are that he can get himself and his teammates pumped up for those key moments. He can LEAD the charge. Con's are that sometimes you can get carried away with emotions and lose some of the discipline which can lead to mental breakdowns just as easily as getting the big play. BQ is a born leader type...but don't forget some don't like that.

How this all translates:

DA is the kind of QB, IMHO, that relies on his teammates to give him the opportunities to do what he does best. Because of his limited mobility, he NEEDS to have a solid OL to give him the pocket. He NEEDS a solid running game to keep the S's and LB's honest instead of dropping back and clogging up the intermediate and deep passing lanes. However, when he gets those things he can turn the offense into a scoring juggernaut. Without those pieces, he will tend to force things which leads to turnovers...and he has yet to show he can turn the team around from a slow start.

BQ is the kind of QB, IMHO, that always tries to LEAD the team. He takes it all on his shoulders and will try to carry the team. With him in the game, HE will need to prove he can make the long intermediate to deep passes or teams will stack the line until he does, taking away the running game. In direct contrast to DA, the TEAM must rely on BQ to make plays to ALLOW the rest of them to be successful. If BQ struggles on the long intermediate and deep passes, the team will likely struggle as well. However, if he hits those passes, the team will be a clock eating, high scoring machine.

Overall, I think that with our current OL, and with the options we have at RB...and the talent at the receiving positions, it is quite possible for BOTH of these QB's to be successful. It really is more of "which style of play"

Anyway, that is how I see it.

I'm new here guys. We all have to understand what the new regime is looking for. They have said that they want the QB that is going to make quick, smart decisions. Someone who can command the huddle & not get rattled to easy.

The scheme the Daboll is implementing is a heavy dose of pounding the football to set up the pass. There will very few calls for long booms down the middle. Neither of the QB's is bad. They both have distinct qualities that could help nearly any NFL team.

DA was given a chance last year & finished with a 3-5 record prior to being pulled in favor of Quinn. IMO that was a dumb move on Crennels part. He should at the very least let DA try & rebound from the early faults.

Difficult to get a good read on Quinn since he went 1-2 (good Denver game, Defense lost that for us). If he had played the rest of the year, I think us, along with the coaching staff would have made a decision or at least had a better idea. Game tape speaks for itself, but new coaches, new ideas.

Should be a fun & interesting year. Three weeks til preseason. Go Browns!

Just an FYI, John Clayton just had an Insider interview on ESPN and he stated that he thought Quinn was the guy due to the scheme....power running game emphasizing short pass accuracy.

the sentiment by many on here that practice doesn't always translate to the field became fairly lucid after thinking about former Brown Ken Dorsey. the idea of a college stud surviving on a team for so long without ever proving it in the NFL scares the hell out of me.

so after a good nights sleep i've decided to don a nice new shiny sheep outfit and join up with the herd. BAAAAA!!

the reason? prior to this i was in the camp of "let the best man win" etc, but i know what DA is at least capable of, and what if he edges Quinn out? does that really make my Browns better? the three 2008 games Quinn played really weren't enough to dissect his game appropriately, and maybe the finger did have a bigger role than i've admitted. i'm not a stat guy at all, but i see them and i recognize them. if Quinn's numbers are so eerily close to Anderson's without much play time, then experience could only make him better, right? after, what was it, 43? starts DA should be much better than a guy with 4 games under his belt.

so for the sake of progress i'm coming aboard. we need to know what to do. we need to scratch things off the list and DA starting doesn't really do that. unfinished business can haunt you for years, and it has, so it's time to bite the bullet and sacrifice some season in pursuit of the face of the team.

if Anderson is sharper, he'll still be sharper. he ain't goin nowhere. but we need to know who we're developing moving forward and/or if we're scouting QB's this fall.

As far as what coaches look for, here's some tidbits about the QB's and are also things coaches look for:

1. Quinn has good rhythm in the pocket

2. Quinn doesn't hang his receivers out to dry on a regular basis

3. Quinn has pocket presence

4. Quinn has an ability to extend the play

5. Quinn keeps his eyes down field

6. Quinn can run to pick up yards

7. Quinn can get rid of the ball quickly for a completion when blitzed

8. Quinn can also be patient and wait for a receiver to complete the route

This is the Joey argument. He has all these wonderful skills. He can do all these wonderful things.

Problem is .. he hasn't done any of them yet.

Lots of QBs have all the tools but don't put it together on gameday.

I just want to see Quinn put it all together and win football games for us before I crown him.

I think that's reasonable.

1. Anderson isn't mobile. Anderson is so unathletic he can't throw a short pass with any touch on the ball.

2. Anderson makes a lot of really, really stupid decisions, especially with good protection.

3. Anderson seems to laugh at losing games.

4. Anderson makes Bernie Kosar seem elusive.

5. Anderson has singled handedly BLOWN games with his mistakes.

6. Anderson doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes.

7. Anderson telegraphs passes, thus the high INT #'s.

You sound kind of bitter, actually. Anderson is hardly "unathletic". I'm told now that he is dumb, lazy and unathletic ... can someone tell me how a guy that is dumb, lazy and unathletic can not only make the NFL as a starting QB but win 10 games and throw 29 TDpasses in an NFL season. Does this make sense to anybody?

And "seems to laugh at losing games" ... really? This is golden Camp Quinn material. Brady really wants to win, while Derek just laughs at losing. I think Derek Anderson is as competitive an athlete as anyone else on the roster. Maybe ... umm, you just don't like him. So when you see him on TV with an expression that would say to me "I can't believe I didn't see that safety" or "I can't believe Winslow turned inside" you see "Ha Ha we are losing and I don't care. Bring me the finest meats and cheeses! Tonight we feast!"

At his peak, DA was the drag on the offense.

Well, I sure hope somebody steps up and drags us like that again.

Zombo

Archived