THE BROWNS BOARD

Cambridge top cop stands by department after Harvard arrest

Guest Aloysius
The campus police asked them to keep it down.

I don't get your point.

Someone called the university police because they didn't think the kids on the lawn were Harvard students. You can figure out why.

It becomes clearer if you follow the link to the school article.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No need...the point is the campus police asked them to keep it down....we aren't talking about any student bias.

In one of the replies in the article linked, it mentioned 4am, though that wasn't mentioned in the article...do you know what time of the day it may have been...was it 4am or is that just some guy talking??

Guest Aloysius

I don't have any particulars about that incident, except what I've already shared from friends who were students there at the time.

More broadly, race does tend to come up in matters of campus security. Most universities now have electronic keycards to access dorms, which make it easy to let other people into the building. Most schools request that students only swipe in people they recognize or who have their student ID's with them. I've heard from a couple black students at different schools that they get asked to show their ID's; I've never been asked to do so.

So this stuff pops up all the time. Perhaps in ways less noticeable to the broader community, but it still hurts those who are affected by it.

From politico:

Earlier in the day, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs dismissed a suggestion that the backlash from police groups could be distressing to the White House, given that Obama has enjoyed a positive relationship with the law enforcement community.

"I think the Fraternal Order of Police endorsed McCain," Gibbs fired back, referring to Obama's Republican opponent in the 2008 election. "If I'm not mistaken."

LOL.

Almost sounds like an intentionally caused controversy to take the attention

away from Obumbly.

Then, Obumbly stepped it anyways.

but it still hurts those who are affected by it.

No doubt.

That said, like it or not, profiling goes on in all aspects of life, be it criminal justice or investment firms seeking new clients.

It can't be blamed totally on education...or lack of to be on point...that blacks get profiled. There is a reason, and racisim isn't the culprit in the vast majority of cases.

I think it lies in the crime statistics.

Like I said HUGE mistake, HUGE.

I don't know, Kos. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Obama opened his mouth when he should have kept it shut. He didn't choose his words carefully, either IMHO.

A pimple on the elephant's asp.

If he handled this correctly, this wouldn't even be a trivia question 24 hours later.

"President Obama said today that he spoke with Cambridge police officer James Crowley, who had arrested Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. last week. Obama said he was left with the impression that Crowley was an outstanding police officer, but added that he believed both men probably overreacted in the situation."

Sounds about right to me.

I just have to wade into this...

it is so easy to say that the cop was racially profiling Gates...but how about the fact that Gates was racially profiling the cop.

Seriously, if it was a black cop he wouldn't have said "this is cause I'm black". He said it specifically because the cop was white. He in fact turned the entire thing into a race issue all on his own.

Now, do I think he should have been arrested? No. But NONE of this would have happened if Gates had kept his racially loaded comments to himself and just thanked the cop for looking out for his home and property.

See, very simple. The cop was PROTECTING AND SERVING Gates by checking out what was happening...only to get verbally abused and accused of being a racist...by what turns out...(Gates) a racist.

Now, as for Obama....STUPID!

You are not aware of the facts

You are a personal friend

You are commenting on a police officer and undermining his authority based on limited information

You are inciting racial tension

All because YOU TOO didn't let cooler heads prevail.

IMHO

I don't know, Kos. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

A pimple on the elephant's asp.

Agreed, but that is the point. Why is he f'cking with this shit when there is so much more to worry about. It's not a big deal, but he made it a big deal. Is he going to do this every time this happens? WTF, rookie mistake. It shows where he is at. How much time did he waste?

it is so easy to say that the cop was racially profiling Gates...but how about the fact that Gates was racially profiling the cop.

Seriously, if it was a black cop he wouldn't have said "this is cause I'm black". He said it specifically because the cop was white. He in fact turned the entire thing into a race issue all on his own.

Now, do I think he should have been arrested? No. But NONE of this would have happened if Gates had kept his racially loaded comments to himself and just thanked the cop for looking out for his home and property.

See, very simple. The cop was PROTECTING AND SERVING Gates by checking out what was happening...only to get verbally abused and accused of being a racist...by what turns out...(Gates) a racist.

You are commenting on a police officer and undermining his authority based on limited information

IMHO

Dude I said this 2 pages back, I agree 100%. If the cop was black we wouldn't be talking about this.

IMHO

Exactly.

Guest Aloysius

Just something to keep in mind: according to Gates, things got tense when he refused to come out of his house. His argument is that if he had done so, the cop would have been able to handcuff him on suspicion of breaking and entering. Gates is handicapped, which adds discomfort to the dignity-stealing effect of being cuffed.

Also, I wonder where you'd draw the line between being suspicious of cops (or a fear of being profiled) and being "racist". I just find it odd that you're so eager to label the guy despite not having known anything about him until a few days ago.

That is why he was arrested. he was being a complete asshole over being asked for his ID.

Maybe he needs some anger management, the world is not out to get darkie.

The whole affair is rediculous, and Obama made it worst.

Maybe Obama was trying to gain approval points from the NAACP. Didn't he just give them a speech.$$$$

Funny how our resident paranoid anti-government activist suddenly comes down on the side of the cops arresting citizens in their own home for being "complete assholes" after they're asked to present their ID, and then comply.

Pretty transparent even without the racial slur.

Just something to keep in mind: according to Gates, things got tense when he refused to come out of his house. His argument is that if he had done so, the cop would have been able to handcuff him on suspicion of breaking and entering. Gates is handicapped, which adds discomfort to the dignity-stealing effect of being cuffed.

Also, I wonder where you'd draw the line between being suspicious of cops (or a fear of being profiled) and being "racist". I just find it odd that you're so eager to label the guy despite not having known anything about him until a few days ago.

Gates didn't know the cop until they met and he was calling the cop a racist in so many words.

No matter how it gets brushed off...the cop didn't do anything wrong and was with-in his full authority to bring the guy in for disorderly if it turns out he was...the tape will probably tell the tale.

I now get the suspicion it will never be released.

I can assure you had Gates been cooperative and was simply targeted by this cop, the tape would be headlining front and center tonight.

This wouldn't be going away so easily had the cop been abusive.

I suspect the President(or his people) has seen or heard the tape and realizes he stuck his foot in to his mouth....come on over for a beer.

This is again on Gates. If a police officer comes to my house after I broke into it and asks me to come outside...I DO IT!!!

The police officer does not know you. He does not know if somebody else is with you in the house. He does not know if a robber is standing behind the door with a gun waiting for him to leave.

It is POLICE PROTOCOL on these types of calls to request the individual to come outside.

If Gates just cooperated with the police, again, it would not have been an issue. Sorry, but it is just too damn easy these days to blame the police for every dispute.

One more thing...Obama's explanation/excuse was lame to say the least.

How could anyone deny that he meant to demean the office AND the cambridge police after his comments. It was a direct insult to their character and integrity, and to come out the next day and say it was misconstrued is pathetic....but of course the media will let their darling slide.

And Heck will be the Obama slurper, and defend it.

Sad case, there.

What's a mistake by Obama, is a mistake. The cover-up seems to be a requirement

for liberal cult membership.

I was napping a bit but woke up in time to see this debacle live on TV.

Its a PR debacle nothing more nothing less. In a rare moment of unscripted human moment Obama spoke as a biased friend would have.

Politically and as his position demands he made a mistake, its not earth shattering just news worthy in a pretty dry news cycle.

The truth probably lies in the middle between these two, I would bet both overreacted and wishes they would not have.

A cop doing his job and a citizen being aggravated by his life experiences and because it was his own property got into a dispute. Just because its a police officer does not mean you have to comply. (as long as you know the possible consequences IE the football player mother in law hospital incident)

I honestly dont care and if people are upset about racial profiling its not really racial profiling but economic profiling that replicates toward social pop culture fashion trends. Economic profiling exists because there is some basis of truth involved.

I am Asian/hispanic, I love Tech, scholastic aptitude,started as a child in some base fighting systems,short, likes rice, horrible driver,likes sake and tequila, works hard.obsessive etc... I fit some of the stereotypes and dont really care.

this is really such a non issue and some white people who fear Obama might have some black bias are probably bothered by.... I dont think they like the role reversal which is amusing to me. The "man" now is black and "white" reverse racism bothers them.... lmao. The shoe is not so comfortable now for them and they cant seem to understand why over 50+ years why Black americans might be so sensitive.... lol Now they are the ones all super sensitive about the is issue...

Still not a big deal, its just something that the extreme right who already hates Obama anyways is going to harp on, very little substance here.

If my friend was in the same situation I would call the cops dumb also, than again I dont work inside of a PR bubble/salesman role that the POTUS lives and die's by. rare unscripted human personal moment thats it.

Talk about something else like republicans are now all in on the healthcare busting tactics to take down dem/Obama reelection strength..... Now that is an interesting topic.

I was napping a bit but woke up in time to see this debacle live on TV.

Its a PR debacle nothing more nothing less. In a rare moment of unscripted human moment Obama spoke as a biased friend would have.

Politically and as his position demands he made a mistake, its not earth shattering just news worthy in a pretty dry news cycle.

The truth probably lies in the middle between these two, I would bet both overreacted and wishes they would not have.

A cop doing his job and a citizen being aggravated by his life experiences and because it was his own property got into a dispute. Just because its a police officer does not mean you have to comply. (as long as you know the possible consequences IE the football player mother in law hospital incident)

I honestly dont care and if people are upset about racial profiling its not really racial profiling but economic profiling that replicates toward social pop culture fashion trends. Economic profiling exists because there is some basis of truth involved.

I am Asian/hispanic, I love Tech, scholastic aptitude,started as a child in some base fighting systems,short, likes rice, horrible driver,likes sake and tequila, works hard.obsessive etc... I fit some of the stereotypes and dont really care.

this is really such a non issue and some white people who fear Obama might have some black bias are probably bothered by.... I dont think they like the role reversal which is amusing to me. The "man" now is black and "white" reverse racism bothers them.... lmao. The shoe is not so comfortable now for them and they cant seem to understand why over 50+ years why Black americans might be so sensitive.... lol Now they are the ones all super sensitive about the is issue...

Still not a big deal, its just something that the extreme right who already hates Obama anyways is going to harp on, very little substance here.

If my friend was in the same situation I would call the cops dumb also, than again I dont work inside of a PR bubble/salesman role that the POTUS lives and die's by. rare unscripted human personal moment thats it.

Talk about something else like republicans are now all in on the healthcare busting tactics to take down dem/Obama reelection strength..... Now that is an interesting topic.

http://www.gadling.com/2009/07/22/baboons-...arious-video%2F

After college I used to be roommates with two Massachusetts cops. They'd always tell me that when you get pulled over or talked to outside the bar, "It's about your attitude." Shouldn't it be whether you did something wrong or not? "I'm telling you," they'd say, "It's about your attitude."

110% correct. I've got friends & acquaintances that run the gamut from State Trooper to County Mounty to Detective (this being my closest friend of the bunch. He's on a drug task force :blink: and is apparently applying years of research, and a "takes one to know one" philosophy after "growing up").

All of them say, "Attitude." Especially when they are referring to their on-the-beat cop associates. Which is who would have responded to this particular call.

What a mess.

Archived