THE BROWNS BOARD

Trade Pick Scenarios

The Gipper

When Sashi was here, he often wheeled and dealed with the Browns first round picks. (Often to our detriment)    Berry is, after all, somewhat of a disciple of Sashi.

What, if any scenarios could you see  possibly happening with our #10 pick.

Here is one, off the cuff thought:

Trade  #10 and # 41 to the 49ers in exchange for  #13  and #31 and # 156.

Under,  believe the "old"  Jimmy Johnson  trade value chart we would be trading:   1300 + 490 pts (1790)   for  1150 + 600 + 28 pts (1778 pts)

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Of course, considering that our GM is a Harvard man...it is perhaps likely that he would be more in favor of using the  Harvard value chart. 

Under that chart the above trade would not come anywhere close to working as it would be:

#10....299.1 + 160.8  =  459.9    for  276.8 + 203 + 60.6 = 540.4      

Under the new chart  we would have to forego the  lower round pick 

But, if it were done,   at 13 we could likely still get one of the 4-5 OTs.....and at 31.....maybe Patrick Queen  ILB LSU  or Kenneth Murray. 

That is what I am angling at...getting both a fairly stud OT and a stud MLB  (or do you think we have those in Wilson/Takitaki)

Give your own trade scenarios. 

Harvard Chart: 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pages/the-harvard-trade-value-chart

4 hours ago, darren15 said:

If Thomas, Wirfs, Becton and Wills all go in first 9 picks I can see then trading down

And if the smoke out there about TB trading up ahead of us for an OT turns into reality, that could very well happen.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And if the smoke out there about TB trading up ahead of us for an OT turns into reality, that could very well happen.

The team that bothers me the most to jump us for a tackle is pick #11... tJETS ! let's look deeper

#8 ZONA- owns the 8th draft pick..only 6.9M in cap space..they just re-signed LT DJ Humphries to a 3/14.5M/yr. deal..Zona also just signed former steeler...Marcus Gilbert..He's on all Zona charts as playing RT...but was Gilbert not a Guard playing in Pitts? Zona won't need to move up ahead of us to grab a T.. drafting CeeDee Lamb is the talk here..Wirfs or Wills would make some sense also kicking Gilbert to RG..Just leave A.Thomas off your board please 🤞

#10 BROWNS- own 40M in cap space...trading ammo? #41//74&97 in 3rd//115 in 4th, no 5th..//6th-187//7th-244

#11 JETS- owns the 11th draft pick..have 15.4M in cap space..Jets only own 1 tackle at each spot. Just signed former seahawk, George Fant at LT (played RT last season?) Chuma Edoga is only RT on chart.. their IOL is a mess also.. their trading 3rd ammo is slightly higher than what Browns can offer.. Jets own #11//#48//68 &79 in 3rd//120//5th-158//2 6th-191 & 211.. they must draft OL or spend on OL

#14 TB--have 13M left in cap space.. again only roster 1 tackle at each spot..LT Donovan Smith///RT Joe Haeg.. TB maybe would have to reach deeper into their draft pile? #45//one 3rd #76// two 4th's #117&139// have a 5th & one 6th..#161//#194

most times,,    what will happen next?   is teams add roster'd trade name with a draft pick attached to the trade to get the deal done..Tampa has that kind of good depth to trade but not at OL..tJets are waiving around some defensive front help

• Upvote 1

Trade Olivia Vernon, The 10th overall and our second rounder to the Redskins for the #2 and draft Chase Young.

Throw in the second 3rd rounder for good measure. 

24 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Trade Olivia Vernon, The 10th overall and our second rounder to the Redskins for the #2 and draft Chase Young.

or just wait and draft Derrick Brown at ten. If he's there....... there's apt to be some agonizing decisions in the top ten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

10 to 2 would take our 1st round pick next year and definitely some sweetener this year too.  I think Young is .0001% likely to be in Cleveland.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

or just wait and draft Derrick Brown at ten. If he's there....... there's apt to be some agonizing decisions in the top ten.

Isn't Brown DT rather than DE like Young/Vernon? 

And if the Browns really want someone on the opposite side from Garrett beside Vernon, they could just bite the bullet on signing Clowney....without trading any picks. 

21 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Isn't Brown DT rather than DE like Young/Vernon? 

And if the Browns really want someone on the opposite side from Garrett beside Vernon, they could just bite the bullet on signing Clowney....without trading any picks. 

Wouldn't be a bad idea. What would you think of a 2nd for 8 time probowler Trent Williams sign him to the money what clowney is asking. The guy is only 31 and has at least 5 years left. Then on draft day, like the other topic, we trade OBJ, Hunt, our first and a second rounder. We free up money by dropping Vernon and get Chase for 5 years on a rookie contact. We are in a win now mode and need the talent and experience right now. 

2 hours ago, cambridgeho said:

Wouldn't be a bad idea. What would you think of a 2nd for 8 time probowler Trent Williams sign him to the money what clowney is asking. The guy is only 31 and has at least 5 years left. Then on draft day, like the other topic, we trade OBJ, Hunt, our first and a second rounder. We free up money by dropping Vernon and get Chase for 5 years on a rookie contact. We are in a win now mode and need the talent and experience right now. 

Do you think that  the Redskins would go for a 2d....assuming #41, for Williams?   And how much longer does he have on his current deal? And isn't the problem with him that he wants a major reworking of his deal for money far beyond the current market value.....even for a top quality LT?  So wouldn't the Browns really have to work that out with him?      He would certainly not be a "Moneyball" player, would he? 

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Do you think that  the Redskins would go for a 2d....assuming #41, for Williams?   And how much longer does he have on his current deal? And isn't the problem with him that he wants a major reworking of his deal for money far beyond the current market value.....even for a top quality LT?  So wouldn't the Browns really have to work that out with him?      He would certainly not be a "Moneyball" player, would he? 

Gip, this wouldn't be a money ball pick up. This would be adding a perineal probowler at age 30 to the left side. If we traded for him we make a new deal for him probably 5 years annual around 16-18mil a year. I'm not a GM, just spit balling a scenario of picking him up and giving up OBJ money. Being a a tad older then obj and having more probowls and being the anchor to our O line, I think Williams all day. At the end of the day, we get Chase or Simmons at number 2 and both would help insanely, plus Williams protecting Baker for the next 5 years. It's all just a thought. We are in a win now mode and rookie tackles, especially ones who will convert from right to left just scares me. 

The Browns clearly aren't going to offer a 2nd round pick for Williams UNLESS something fantastically crazy like Simmons or Okudah falling to them. IMOP, If they offered a 2nd right now, the skins would take it and clearly they are not willing to give up that much. EVEN IF the scenario above happens, I think the Browns would be more inclined to try to trade back into the first or beginning of the second to get their guy and then sign Peters off the street for a 1 or 2 year deal to help acclimate the new LT. Finally, I think Callahan is a big reason why the Browns have not made the deal yet. If he thought that he was worth a 2nd round pick PLUS giving a massive new deal to rather than drafting a young LT, I think Berry would have made it happen. Williams has not played a full season in 7 years...think about that. Plus, he's 32 and wants top shelf money. I think the Browns are playing this the right way. It's all going to depend on how the draft falls and how much the skins are willing to cave. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/12/2020 at 7:03 PM, Bigalow80 said:

The Browns clearly aren't going to offer a 2nd round pick for Williams UNLESS something fantastically crazy like Simmons or Okudah falling to them. IMOP, If they offered a 2nd right now, the skins would take it and clearly they are not willing to give up that much. EVEN IF the scenario above happens, I think the Browns would be more inclined to try to trade back into the first or beginning of the second to get their guy and then sign Peters off the street for a 1 or 2 year deal to help acclimate the new LT. Finally, I think Callahan is a big reason why the Browns have not made the deal yet. If he thought that he was worth a 2nd round pick PLUS giving a massive new deal to rather than drafting a young LT, I think Berry would have made it happen. Williams has not played a full season in 7 years...think about that. Plus, he's 32 and wants top shelf money. I think the Browns are playing this the right way. It's all going to depend on how the draft falls and how much the skins are willing to cave. 

I agree 100%!

If the Browns "chosen one" is not there at 10, Peters has been my short term fallback for quite awhile. We're less than 2 weeks from finding out.

Mike

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-2020-colts-patriots-make-surprise-trades-for-qbs-browns-move-up-inside-top-10/

Round 1 - Pick 7

Clemson • Jr • 6'4" / 238 lbs
Projected Team
Cleveland
PROSPECT RNK
3rd
POSITION RNK
1st

Browns acquire No. 7 from Panthers for No. 10, No. 74, 2021 seventh. Andrew Berry makes like old boss Howie Roseman in his first year fully in charge, taking a big swing for a play-maker. A tackle makes all the sense in the world for Cleveland, but Simmons is a bona fide star-in-the-making who fills not one but two needs (LB, S) for the Browns' defense.
    For a few seconds, I thought they traded up to get Andrew Thomas, to keep other teams from jumping ahead of them and getting him.
    I'm really all in on both. But which one? Go with Simmons - an uncommon great talent - the top three lb's will be gone in the first round.
Or, is Andrew Thomas a lot like Joe Thomas? Joe was also an uncommon great talent at left tackle.
Not a very big price to pay.
  I wish the draft would just get here.