THE BROWNS BOARD

Another Statistical Look

WPB Dawg Fan

So, with that in mind, I decided to look a little closer into the stats put up last year by our dueling QB's.

Some have claimed that the Yards per Catch...is a more reliable and definitive stat...

DA: 11.37

BQ: 11.51

OK, no clear cut winner there.

Same goes for the more traditional Yards per Pass

DA: 5.71

BQ: 5.82

Again, no clear cut winner.

So...as I was perusing ColdHardFootballFacts, I noticed that they included the sack yardage into their passing efficiency stats....therefore I tried it out with our QB's:

DA: 3.85

BQ: 5.66

And lo and behold....we have a winner. Clear cut. And it doesn't have anything to do with QBR.

Simply, it is (TOTAL PASSING YARDS - SACK YARDS)/(PASSING ATTEMPTS + NUMBER OF SACKS)

Clean, clear, and DECISIVE!

(just saying!!!)

To me, this is why most Browns fans felt better about the 3 games that BQ started than the 9 that DA started. It just passes the eyeball test.

I just thought to put this in a little better perspective....the starting QB of a certain rival in Pennsylvania (who shall remain nameless) had a rating of 5.86 using this method....due mainly to his 46 sacks for 284 yards.

Looking team to team the difference is based mainly on the offensive line.

The only way to compare is the same Line with different QB's as you did with BQ and DA.

Numbers are pretty much irrelevant with Quinn playing in only 2.5 games but I do think he has much better pocket presence / willingness to throw the ball away.

Also I think Quinn is a lot more likely to turn a sack into a gain that DA obviously.

Also I think Quinn is a lot more likely to turn a sack into a gain that DA obviously.

QBs are more likely to do a lot of things when they're playing Denver's D instead of the Ravens D.

Kudos to BQ for posting relatively similar numbers vs far worse defenses.

QBs are more likely to do a lot of things when they're playing Denver's D instead of the Ravens D.

Kudos to BQ for posting relatively similar numbers vs far worse defenses.

Yes!!!

I was just quoted by Lumbergh.

Now I feel like I finally belong.

And If you think DA is more mobile than BQ I feel sorry for you.

And If you think DA is more mobile than BQ I feel sorry for you.

I realize that the "BQ is mobile" movement is the latest announcement from BQ Nation.

But we haven't actually seen BQ do anything "mobile". He ran a bootleg one time. 8 yards. That's pretty sweet.

FYI Anderson has a bootleg TD on the stat sheet. Not to mention a game winning overtime scramble for 40 yds. Plus 2 other TD runs.

but "BQ=mobile and DA=non mobile" seems to have been written down into the BQ Bible already.

so it must be true, like every other rumor we hear out of BQ Nation, right?

Compare the one with 3 starts to the other guy when he had 3 starts and shockingly you end up with almost Identical stats. And I think that their 3 starts came for Browns teams that won 4 games in that year. DA has a slightly better completion percentage than BQ but they are very close and even more interesting is that their yards per catch are very similar also 11.9 for BQ and 12 for DA. So if you want to compare the two compare them at the same times in their careers and in similar situations. They still come out with basically the same stats.

What BQ backers have to hang on their hats on is that DA has more starts after his first three in which to look at. BQ does not have those starts to this point. BQ backers are counting on that the similarities will stop after the next 7 starts (as BQ fans would love for BQ's next 7 starts to be like DA's first 7 starts in 2007). I do not know if you can argue with that stance. You will not know if BQ keeps mirroring DA until he starts 15 games. Then you can compare them again at similar times with similar situations. It is really scary how much they have mirrored each other so far at similar times and situations.

So BQ will most likely start this year and we will get our sample size. Then we can let a true comparision begin again. So far a fair comparision says they are basically the same but with different styles getting their.

Lum usually stays to arguments that have a possible shred of validity. A shred mind you.

Using the words "DA" and "mobility" in the same sentence without a negative modifier such as "isn't" or "not" goes beyond the pale. But, he's simply a foil on these boards anyway. Useless in terms of meaningful content but tolerated for some reason. /shrug

Using the words "DA" and "mobility" in the same sentence without a negative modifier such as "isn't" or "not" goes beyond the pale.

sure that's why he had the least sacks in the NFL. usually that distinction belongs to a guy who has no mobility, right?

Or are you still hanging onto the "BEST OFFENSIVE LINE IN NFL HISTORY" argument?

thanks for jogging the memory though, Grayfag is the one who started this rumor.

I couldn't remember who it was.

I understand your reasoning though, it's natural to try to believe that a much shorter QB would be a shifty little guy.

But Quinnie just ain't all you've been hoping he would be.

He's much more of a stiff back there than what had been claimed by BQ Nation.

Who did he do that against? Oh yeah, the Kansas City "We have the worst defense in the league" Chiefs. Let's see him scramble against Pittsburgh or Baltimore....he doesn't dare try that shit on them, because he knows he will get absolutely plowed, and we all know DA avoids pain at all costs.....even a team win.

It appears my puppy dog has gotten off of his leash.

Inspect-A-Dick,

KC's D was rated 16th in 2006. ("worst" means 32nd)

And one of Anderson's rushing TDs came at Baltimore. (apparently he did "dare try that shit on them")

Stats or no stats BQ hasnt proven he can lead the browns to the promised land but on the otherhand DA hasnt proven he can get us there either i think most of us have serious questions about both of them...DA has 27 or so starts but he wasnt really prepared correctly he was waived from baltimore and then bench rotted in cleveland while frye sucked game in and game out...then after frye was hurt DA was thrown into the game relatively unprepared and did ok...he continued to do ok in 2007 after frye was traded...

Im a big BQ fan but as a browns fan i dont know if he is "IT" or not..because the same regime mishandled this kid in unthinkable ways as well 3 years later we dunno anything about bq as a pro starter...

My point?

Its kind of unfair to judge DA or BQ based on the past regime and chuds cut and paste gameplans with panic button options that were absurd...a horrible QB coach and a worthless head coach..DA was a relative newbie that wasnt disciplined well or even groomed to start coming in to cleveland and BQ still is rookie with pretty much only a little backup bench experience and shouldnt be..

So lets sit back and watch the show as the drama unfolds im betting BQ to start but not by much because DA is still growing himself...;)

I didn't realize DA had a rushing TD against Baltimore

HairyNutsackInspecta,

There's a lot of things you don't realize.

There are many parts of this game that you have difficulty trying to grasp.

For instance, when football games kick off, why does BQ stand on the sideline holding a clipboard?

JADBF, Savage is gone because he was a terrible GM and his picks didn't work out....

Romeo is gone because he didn't win enough games with the players the GM picked....

Romeo is highly regarded in the NFL circles as a defensive coordinator but was pretty bad as a head coach (does the name Dick LeBeau come to mind???). But saying that Romeo never gets near another NFL team is pretty silly, if you believe that, then you really don't understand football....

Peace

T.Dawg

Lum, DA has horrific mobility. He is among the least mobile QB's in the league. Footwork is suspect, limited agility/speed. Its a fact.

His wonderful sack total is due to his getting the ball out quickly. That's usually an asset. However, doesn't mean squat about mobility. Marino didn't get sacked much either and could hardly move. He could, however, hit the short pass in stride and wasn't easily rattled when he was pressured. Two things DA needs to work on.

So, again, you play the board jester with an amazing level of expertise.

I thank you for the entertainment you provide.

Grayfag

Man, you are indeed fixated.

JADBF, Savage is gone because he was a terrible GM and his picks didn't work out....

Romeo is gone because he didn't win enough games with the players the GM picked....

Romeo is highly regarded in the NFL circles as a defensive coordinator but was pretty bad as a head coach (does the name Dick LeBeau come to mind???). But saying that Romeo never gets near another NFL team is pretty silly, if you believe that, then you really don't understand football....

Peace

T.Dawg

Crennelephant's about as sharp as a football (you know, that thing that's oblong, so sometimes it bounces in funny ways,) and doesn't even possess the motivational skills necessary to get Luvbergh to mount DA.

I wouldn't be surprised if his fiasco as HC here turns out to be his swan song.

Wow...this sure has made a turn to the off-topic.

All I was trying to do was show that the SUM PRODUCT of BQ's ability to elude the pass rush and take fewer sacks actually translates to a much higher yards per pass play than DA has...and that in turn would likely translate to fewer drives being ended by NEGATIVE pass plays....

anyway...so much for that

All I was trying to do was show that the SUM PRODUCT of BQ's ability to elude the pass rush and take fewer sacks actually translates to a much higher yards per pass play than DA has

To be fair, Quinn has started 3 games so it is hard to translate the data definitively. Also, didn't Derek take something like 16 sacks in '07?

To be fair, Quinn has started 3 games so it is hard to translate the data definitively. Also, didn't Derek take something like 16 sacks in '07?

yes...but then again BQ didn't play in '07...so you have to at least use the same OL (as Alo pointed out).

Funny thing is...we look at JL and JH and look at the differences in yardage...and despite the difference in number of carries we form an opinion...

Here is another interesting comparision:

There is no doubt that Braylon Edwards in particular dropped an awful lot of footballs last year – in fact the highest in the League according to most statistics trackers (remember that dropped passes tend to be less reliable stats compared to other more official NFL figures throughout the season). And of course that had an impact on Derek Anderson losing his job.

But a look at the overall team stats on dropped passes compared to the rest of the League proves an interesting point. It is possible for a quarterback to keep his job and perform well, even into the playoffs, in spite of his receivers dropping a lot of passes.

As of December 2008, the Browns were second highest in the NFL in dropped passes. I bet very few will guess the other three teams in the top 4: Eagles, Broncos and the Colts. McNabb and the Eagles made the NFL Championship Game against the Cards a very close contest. Cutler and the Broncos would have made the playoffs barring that pathetic performance against the Chargers at the end of the season. And Manning and the Colts advanced to the AFC Playoffs Wild Card Game against the Bolts.

LINK

So while many of DA's whiners have cried that the team around him didn't support him, it is interesting to note that of the top 4 teams in the NFL in dropped passes saw two make the playoffs, the other barely miss them, and the remaining one is still looking for a leader. DA is a backup, pure and simple. We'll find out about Quinn sooner than later.

Archived