THE BROWNS BOARD

39 Years

smash5355

I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

I, am looking forward to the 2009 NFL season and the Browns I have been a fan now for 39 years why torture yourself I ask myself, but they are an addiction. I have tried my very best to kick the habit but I still love them Browns and can't wait for another year with them.

I think you are going to find 39 years is a short time compared to many on this board. I am on 45 years and still consider myself a newbie.

53 or more (who's counting?) I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at 53 too.

We may be old & stupid, but BY GOD we are LOYAL!!! I am sick of "fairweather fans" that hop on any winning teams bandwagon. Our Browns were good long ago & they will be good again (soon, I think). When the good times DO come, we can proudly say we stuck with OUR team through the good AND bad years! We'll have our time in the sun again.

GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

I was a small child during "the drive" and "the fumble" so I haven't been around to see much of the glory days. Just reruns of the good times. I'm hoping that I can have some good things to talk about and I'm hoping it starts with this season as a positive step forward.

I hate to admit it but I'm an old fart.... I attended my 1st Browns game in 1953 at the stadium.... I think the Browns beat the Steelers that day something like 30 to 10... So I'm going on 56 years of being a Browns fan...

BTW, Browns 2405, those weren't the glory years, they were the years of frustration... The glory years were the 50's and early 60's.... We were unbeatable in the 50"s, played in like 9 of 10 championship games...We won the NFL title in 64 (the super bowl of today) and could have won the first few super bowls if Jim Brown doesn't retire early....

I've been rooting for my Browns for 56 years and wouldn't have it any other way.... Cough, cough weeze, weeze----Go Browns !!!!!

Peace

T.Dawg

I figure you can't be a real fan until you can read some of the sports section and start trading player cards, so i have always pegged 7-8 as the age a person can become a real fan....so, 53 or so years here.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I can remember the exact day I became a Browns fan. I came to it kind of late, but the first football game I ever watched was the wildcard game with the Oilers (December 24, 1988)--I was ten at the time--and I was hooked immediately. I still remember shouting at the T.V. about the forward lateral play, then looking at my dad and saying something along the lines of, "I should be mad about that, right?" He took me to my first game the next year--a loss to the Steelers--and the Browns have been breaking my heart ever since.

Dennis

Good stuff....and that is a realistic age....people who say they were born in to it are kidding themselves....it sounds good, but it isn't realistic.

I was absolutely born into it. My dad is a fan, and that's who we watched. My memories, however, start with Kosar, Mack, Byner, Slaughter, Michael Dean, Dixon (my jersey for Lacrosse in HS & college was always 29) and the rest of our last "good" team.

I can't really remember what made me a Ctown fan in general, I guess it was just the way it's supposed to be. My old man wasn't a big believer in sports, just didn't see the purpose of it. However, he always watched the Browns and I remember singing the National Anthem before games at about six being all pumped up. I was die hard pretty early and took losses hard.

By about ten I was a junkie on sports from magazines to the paper, cards etc. I locked myself in my room watching Buckeye BB games, Cavs and Tribe games like a religion. Going to Browns games about once a year meant more to me than any amusement park, vacation or anything. I loved it. Coming up I90 to the Shoreway just waiting for the first peek at the stadium, good times. One of my first games was Turkey Joe spiking Bradshaw.

Greg Pruitt was electrifying, and being forty he was the first big name for me. I just missed Leroy Kelley, but man did I love that shit. Hell, going to exhibition basketball games with Browns players against HS teams was a highlight.

I just don't get how someone can be born in an area and root for another team, it doesn't compute with me.

I, couldn't agree more these people who call them swelves fans and move on or tag along after a few wins then call themselves life long fans really don't understand. As far as the comment that 39 years compared to others on the board I can't help it because I am not as old as some of the other fans, my point is I have stayed loyal all these years.

Well, count me among the old guys- Been a Browns fan as long as I can remember, but my first football memory is of the "Greatest Game ever Played". That was the Colts-Giants Championship game in 1957. Too bad I'm a tad too young to remember the Otto Graham years, can you guys fathom the hype that would be generated today if a quarterback played in nine straight Super Bowls for the same team? That's what Graham did.

For the newcomers on this board, I've always said one of my greatest regrets in life is I didn't blow $10 of my paper route money in 1964 and hop on a bus and take in the Championship Game at the Stadium. You young 'uns might find it hard to believe, but the game didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland- and even more unbelievably, there is (at least to my knowledge) no extant tape- digital or otherwise of the complete game- only highlights!

This will be 40th season as a Browns fan....Guess my number 40 jerseys will apply this season.

I was bored one Sunday....flipping channels and came across the Browns getting shut out by the Broncos (oh the irony). Despite that poor showing I was ready for next week immediately. I was hooked that quick. It's been a heartbreaking love affair ever since and I ain't going anywhere.

Doug

My memories, however, start with Kosar,

Good deal, and that is my only point.

We may have been born in Cleveland, or in to families where being a fan was enevitable, but if we are 30, we haven't been a fan for 30 years...there is a lag period....be it the 7 years I mentioned or the 5 years of another.

A 3 year old as an example doesn't sit down and watch a complete game.

None the less, it doesn't matter how long we have been fans. By the sounds of it we have been loyal fans, and that is the true measure.

Go Browns

I'm 46- first game I saw in person was vs. Cincy in 1972, we won 27-6...I was addicted immediately. I remember Boobie Clark not fielding the opening kickoff, we recovered at the 5 yard line. By 1979, I bought season tickets with money from my PD route, tickets were only $6 per game in the bleachers (pre-Dawg Pound era).

Go Browns!!! We are overdue..

I'm almost there my friend.

That's cool man, I was 15 years old when I became a fan I was watching a game on CBS, the game was being called by Ray Scott. I then fell in love first with Leroy Kelly and then the whole team and the rest is as they say is history. GO BROWNS!!!!!, oh yes I live in Indiana about 45 minutes north of Indianapolis you would not believe the crap I get.

Well, it’s an easy count for me. I’m from Italy and we Italians, as you all know are soccer addicted but a small minority love American football. My first game (on TV of course) was 1982 SB between 49ers and Bengals. I used to watch a couple of games every week but I did not have any favourite team. Yes, I had developed a certain sympathy for the Bears but nothing special. I remember the excitement in watching John Elway drive over the Browns one Sunday night in the 1987 AFC Championship. At the end of the game I remember feeling sorry for the fans in the standings for such a bitter ending.

So, come January 17 the following year, I was sitting in front on my TV saying to myself “this is going to be the revenge for the Browns”. Well, it was about to be if it were not for a player, a fairly good one by the way, that happened to fumble the football a couple of yards before crossing the endzone.

I remember being speechless after the game. I could not even think of going to bed (it was quite late at night in Italy) ‘cause I felt devastated for those fans, even more than the year before.

Without knowing it I had just joined the multitude of orange and brown fans. Even from that far away.

Now it’s easy being a fan of an NFL team, in the internet era you’re just one click away from your favourite team. During the move to Baltimore it was almost impossible to obtain information on what was happening in Cleveland. My hopes to ever see the Browns again were about to fade away when I bumped into an issue of USA Today that published an article talking about Cleveland being awarded an expansion team in 1999.

Then internet era came. And now I can sit in front of NFL Game Pass live games on Sunday nights, chatting in the Browns Tavern with you guys.

So, despite being 45 now, I can only say I’ve been a Browns fan from January 17 1988 which makes it 21 and a half years. Not bad for an Italian soccer addicted, huh? :)

The maximum period of "torture" for anyone can only be 45 years, as that is how long it has been since the Browns....or any Cleveland major league team has won a title. (I don't count indoor soccer as major league).

And yes, I have lived long enough to endure the full 45 years.

I recall the 1964 NFL title game. It was blacked out here because it was a home game. (All home games...sold out or not were blacked out then). It was replayed the following Monday Night. It got such good ratings that the NFL got it in their heads that Monday night might not be a bad time to broadcast a football game. 5-6 years later that became a reality.

Well, count me among the old guys- Been a Browns fan as long as I can remember, but my first football memory is of the "Greatest Game ever Played". That was the Colts-Giants Championship game in 1957. Too bad I'm a tad too young to remember the Otto Graham years, can you guys fathom the hype that would be generated today if a quarterback played in nine straight Super Bowls for the same team? That's what Graham did.

For the newcomers on this board, I've always said one of my greatest regrets in life is I didn't blow $10 of my paper route money in 1964 and hop on a bus and take in the Championship Game at the Stadium. You young 'uns might find it hard to believe, but the game didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland- and even more unbelievably, there is (at least to my knowledge) no extant tape- digital or otherwise of the complete game- only highlights!

I don't believe it "not selling out" was why it was blacked out Hoorta. I would bet you that it did sell out. They just blacked out all home games then, sellout or not. I remember having to listen to many Browns home games on the radio with Jim Graner and Gib Shanley. It wasn't because it wasn't a sellout.

When I started this thread about the number of years I have been watching the Browns, I didn't think the responses would be like they have been this is great. I am enjoying the replys from everyone and reading about there memorys of the team over the years, of course we all share the same pain but boy will we enjoy it when they finally do win the SUPER BOWL.

I had put 53 years, & I turn 63 this November....while I'm estimating, I do believe that's accurate. I agree that you can't be "born" into it, but I believe that folks who stated that were of my mind set.....that of following my Dad, Grandfather, Uncles, & their friends in their choices. Then, when old enough to REALLY decide, especially in the '50s when your home team was all you saw on a consistent basis, it was a very easy decision.

Again, I'm happy with my choice, & waiting for more glory years.

Mike

The maximum period of "torture" for anyone can only be 45 years, as that is how long it has been since the Browns....or any Cleveland major league team has won a title. (I don't count indoor soccer as major league).

I recall the 1964 NFL title game. It was blacked out here because it was a home game. (All home games...sold out or not were blacked out then). It was replayed the following Monday Night. It got such good ratings that the NFL got it in their heads that Monday night might not be a bad time to broadcast a football game. 5-6 years later that became a reality.

I remember the game well. Me and my Dad, my older brother watched the "replay" I guess. I was only 9 years old. Black and white TV, dad in his "wife beater shirt" drinking a beer, me and my brother looking at a 13 inch black and white screen screaming for the browns. Never forget it.

It has never been torture for me....

Indeed, it was blacked out...I had grandparents in Toledo...I drove there to watch the game.

And it was televised in Cleveland...maybe a few nights later, shown in entirety. May have been a expanded version of Ken Colemans, QB Club.

Was that on Tuesday or Wednesday?? Can't remember.

It has never been torture for me....

Indeed, it was blacked out...I had grandparents in Toledo...I drove there to watch the game.

And it was televised in Cleveland...maybe a few nights later, shown in entirety. May have been a expanded version of Ken Colemans, QB Club.

Was that on Tuesday or Wednesday?? Can't remember.

Yeah, it was rebroadcast on the Quarterback Club, and why I didn't watch it is beyond me- it was Christmas break at school. Unbelievable that no one at CBS or a local TV station ever saved a tape of that game.

And I'm positive the game did not sell out. The father and brother of the guy I have my season tickets with did go to the game, and I have to believe their first hand report as accurate.

Archived