THE BROWNS BOARD

Drew Bennett Retires

Guest TheJokersWILD

Guest TheJokersWILD

Veteran WR Bennett retires two days after signing with Ravens

Associated Press

BALTIMORE -- Wide receiver Drew Bennett announced his retirement from the NFL on Sunday night, just two days after signing with the Baltimore Ravens in an effort to rekindle his career.

Bennett signed a one-year deal after a tryout Friday. But he aggravated an old knee injury during the workout, and after returning home to Nashville, Tenn., the 30-year-old receiver decided to quit.

Drew Bennett, WR

Career Statistics

Seasons: 8

Receptions: 307

Yards: 4,412

Touchdowns: 28

"A previous knee injury flared up, making me realize that I am unable to play another NFL season," Bennett said in statement distributed by his agent, Steve Caric. "Therefore, I have decided to retire from the National Football League."

Bennett's decision comes after Derrick Mason surprised the Ravens by announcing his retirement on July 13. Although Mason has left open the possibility of returning, Baltimore is currently very slim at wide receiver.

Bennett played one game with the St. Louis Rams last season because of a foot injury. Over an eight-year career, he has 307 catches for 4,412 yards and 28 touchdowns.

Bennett expected to add to those numbers this season, but things didn't work out as planned.

"The Ravens are a first-class organization that I was truly excited to join," Bennett said. "After an offseason of workouts and rehab, I thought I was ready to play again, but it became apparent over this weekend that while my mind is willing, my body will not be able to make it through another NFL season.

"I have been blessed to have the opportunity to play in the NFL for as long as I have, but it is time for me to move on to the next chapter in my life."

Bennett's most productive season was in 2004, when he had 80 catches for 1,247 yards and 11 touchdowns with the Tennessee Titans.

When the Ravens open training camp Monday, their most accomplished receivers will be Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

When the Ravens open training camp Monday, their most accomplished receivers will be Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams.

I don't get the Ravens. Except for losing 3 straight to the SB Champions, they had a damn good run, beating Miami and Tenn on the road in the playoffs, and losing to Pitt by seven total points during the season. Why not get a Boldin or a #1 WR this offseason? Even with Mason I am not sure this team can do that again, but who knows.

I don't get the Ravens. Except for losing 3 straight to the SB Champions, they had a damn good run, beating Miami and Tenn on the road in the playoffs, and losing to Pitt by seven total points during the season. Why not get a Boldin or a #1 WR this offseason? Even with Mason I am not sure this team can do that again, but who knows.

I agree.. I was pretty shocked after drafting flacco that they did not go get a reciever in a reciever heavy class. Mason even if healthy and plays is still 62 years old and the other guys they have drafted are essentially busts. There was a handful of talent in the first 2 rounds..they brought in no one.. ZERO recievers drafted this year.. a 4th rounder last year. Ozzie.. i'm surprised!! but thanks..

I agree.. I was pretty shocked after drafting flacco that they did not go get a reciever in a reciever heavy class. Mason even if healthy and plays is still 62 years old and the other guys they have drafted are essentially busts. There was a handful of talent in the first 2 rounds..they brought in no one.. ZERO recievers drafted this year.. a 4th rounder last year. Ozzie.. i'm surprised!! but thanks..

The Ravens haven't made the playoffs in back to back years since the year after they won the Super Bowl. Ray Ray is older, they lost Mason, Scott, Lorenzo Neal, Jason Brown and Leohnard among others(Not to mention Rex Ryan).

Don't get me wrong, they have enough talent to make it to the playoffs, but history shows me they will take a step back and miss the playoffs. I would not be surprised to see them finish in third or last place just like two years ago.

The Ravens haven't made the playoffs in back to back years since the year after they won the Super Bowl. Ray Ray is older, they lost Mason, Scott, Lorenzo Neal, Jason Brown and Leohnard among others(Not to mention Rex Ryan).

Don't get me wrong, they have enough talent to make it to the playoffs, but history shows me they will take a step back and miss the playoffs. I would not be surprised to see them finish in third or last place just like two years ago.

Yeah I agree. I see the Ravens taking a step back. Or as John Clayton likes to say "maybe."

Archived