THE BROWNS BOARD

Garko is now a SF Giant?

DieselPusher

Looks like Garko has been traded for a single A pitcher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4360099

Monday, July 27, 2009

Giants get Garko

ESPN.com news services

Fighting for the NL wild card but stuck in a slump, the San Francisco Giants made a move to boost their offense on Monday.

Sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the team acquired first baseman Ryan Garko from the Cleveland Indians for Single A left-handed pitcher Scott Barnes.

Going into Monday's games, Garko was hitting .285 with 11 home runs and 39 RBIs in 78 games. In five seasons with Cleveland, he has a .283 average with 53 home runs and 235 RBIs.

The Giants went into Monday's action two games behind the Colorado Rockies for the wild-card lead.

Looks like Garko has been traded for a single A pitcher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4360099

Monday, July 27, 2009

Giants get Garko

ESPN.com news services

Fighting for the NL wild card but stuck in a slump, the San Francisco Giants made a move to boost their offense on Monday.

Sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the team acquired first baseman Ryan Garko from the Cleveland Indians for Single A left-handed pitcher Scott Barnes.

Going into Monday's games, Garko was hitting .285 with 11 home runs and 39 RBIs in 78 games. In five seasons with Cleveland, he has a .283 average with 53 home runs and 235 RBIs.

The Giants went into Monday's action two games behind the Colorado Rockies for the wild-card lead.

Looks like the fire sale has started. Based on the above article, the Indians got a starter in return. He has good stats in the minors, hopefully he will be in the rotation in a few years. It also said in the article that the Indians were bringing up Marte to take Garko's place on the roster.

The Indians recieved Scott Barnes in the trade. Barnes is a legit pitching prospect. He is currently 12-3 with a 2.85 ERA in 18 starts over 98 innings with a 99/29 K/BB rate. He is not a power lefty. He sits mostly 88-92 with an average slider and change-up. He has decent command and the low minors have not been a problem for him at all. He will need to be tested at higher levels before we judge him by his stats but he looks like a legit prospect that could be a mid-rotation starter.
http://centerofthesportsuniverse.wordpress...rospect-barnes/

Where have I heard that before?

I never was a big Garko fan, he was a bit one dimensional for me.

Right handed bat can give you a little pop off the bench, slow a foot

arby eligible after this season and we since need to find out about Marte, LaPorta

he became expendable

Hopefully we can still deal Pavano and Carroll for some other pieces parts

I don't mind that they traded Garko. But I do mind that all they got in return was a single-A starter. Garko has provided some seriously key hits for the Tribe in some games for the past couple of season...AT THE MAJOR LEAGUE LEVEL! He is clearly a Major Leaguer! This is the second time in a matter of days that Shapiro has done this...traded away a contributor at top level for a minor league pitcher that is at least 2 years away from seeing any big league time! He could have gotten more. I guess they don't want to sell tickets next year...or the following year...or maybe even the following year. Somewhere down the road this team might be competetive again. We'll just keep stacking up single-A pitchers until then! And we'll keep Eric "I'm the worst Tribe manager in decades" Wedge around. He's doing a good job keeping the team out of contention while we gather more minor leaguers!

I'm with John. Garko's a fine player, but with Victor playing half the games at 1st, and LaPorta, Marte, and Jordan Brown all looking like they deserve a shot...Gark became pretty expendable. And no team is going to give up a AAA or major league ready pitching prospect for a rental 1st baseman. We're horribly thin on starting pitching in the minors, and have LaPorta, Marte, Brown, Weglarz, and Mills all looking like at least capable fill-ins at 1st. LaPorta and Weglarz both have huge potential.

Not a great trade at face value, but the organization got better, and it's definitely not enough to make me turn in my fan card.

Dude hit like 35 RBI's in like 40 games last year at the end of the season.

He was a platoon player and a streaky player

Yes he got on a hot streak last year and could mash against left handers

But he struggled against right handers

But with this season in the toilet he is blocking players that have to be hopefully more developed

than him.

I hope he does well but he was expendable

I'm with John. Garko's a fine player, but with Victor playing half Not a great trade at face value, but the organization got better, and it's definitely not enough to make me turn in my fan card.

Hey, Barnes was born and raised in Chicopee, MA. That is about as good a pedigree you can hope for.

Archived