THE BROWNS BOARD

Latest on Lee possibly going to Philli

DieselPusher

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4362115

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sources: Phils looking at Lee

By Buster Olney

ESPN The Magazine

The Phillies are intent on getting a front-line starting pitcher, whether they get Roy Halladay or not, and with the Indians' Cliff Lee seemingly lined up as the clear No. 2 choice for Philadelphia, officials with both teams are doing extensive background work on some minor leaguers who might be included in a trade, sources said on Tuesday.

The Indians' preference has been to get a major league-ready talent in return for Lee, in order to better position themselves to contend in 2010, and Kyle Drabek is the pitcher in the Phillies' organization who best fits that description. But the Phillies have been trying to make a Halladay deal without involving Drabek, and presumably, they'd be even more reluctant to trade Drabek for Lee.

The Indians, then, are evaluating the Phillies' farm system to see if they can fashion a deal with high-ceiling young talent -- which is why they're scouting Jason Knapp, a 6-foot-5, 240-pound pitcher who was the Phillies' second-round pick in 2008. Knapp was recently shut down because of shoulder fatigue, but he had shown enormous potential, striking out 111 in 85 1/3 innings while pitching in Class A and accumulating a 4.01 ERA.

One official familiar with the negotiations believes that the Phillies have enough high-end young pitching talent to build a deal for Lee without involving Drabek. The Indians are stocked with young position players but lack high-end pitching talent in their farm system.

Lee, who turns 31 next month, is having another solid season for the Indians, posting a 3.14 ERA while walking just 33 in 152 innings. He will make $8 million in 2010 and then be eligible for free agency.

The Phillies' preference has been to trade for Halladay, and Philadelphia has always matched up well with the Jays in possibly arranging a package of players. But the Jays have insisted that Drabek and J.A. Happ be included in the trade, and the Phillies have said no; the two sides have remained at an impasse in their talks since Saturday.

Senior writer Buster Olney covers Major League Baseball for ESPN The Magazine.

Yeah, unless Shapiro gets really blown away by a deal, which I don't think Philly has the prospects to do...especially if they don't want to give up Drabek, I really can't see Lee getting dealt.

I think we'd need a true ace caliber pitcher at at least AA, two high-upside guys, and a throw-in. Anything less and we should just wait til next year.

Yeah, unless Shapiro gets really blown away by a deal, which I don't think Philly has the prospects to do...especially if they don't want to give up Drabek, I really can't see Lee getting dealt.

I think we'd need a true ace caliber pitcher at at least AA, two high-upside guys, and a throw-in. Anything less and we should just wait til next year.

Agreed...If Shapiro is going to deal Lee, and expect to sell tickets next season, then he has to get at least one player that will play on the big league club NEXT YEAR...if not the end of this year! I agree with the other trade requirements. But that first one has got to be a big league prospect...not a 2-3 year down the road prospect...which is why I personally think that Drabek has got to be included, or no deal should be done.

Philly people (and Jayson Stark) seem to think it's a done deal...

The Tribe can't actually be looking to add a catcher or a shortstop with Santana and Cabrera seeming like pretty good long term options...can they?

Carrasco would be a good get, though. Only 22 years old pitching in AAA, he was deemed untouchable last year but things change fast in the minors. He has top 2 starter stuff, and is still learning. He's having the worst year of his minor league career this year, so we might be getting a good package with his value at its lowest.

He'll definitely be given a shot to start for Cleveland in 2010, if not sooner, if the deal goes through.

Philly people (and Jayson Stark) seem to think it's a done deal...

The Tribe can't actually be looking to add a catcher or a shortstop with Santana and Cabrera seeming like pretty good long term options...can they?

Carrasco would be a good get, though. Only 22 years old pitching in AAA, he was deemed untouchable last year but things change fast in the minors. He has top 2 starter stuff, and is still learning. He's having the worst year of his minor league career this year, so we might be getting a good package with his value at its lowest.

He'll definitely be given a shot to start for Cleveland in 2010, if not sooner, if the deal goes through.

I don't like it. I like Carrasco, but where do Marsen and Donald fit in? We aren't lacking at Catcher or Short! I also still think that either Drabek or Happ need to be included in the deal. Cliff Lee is a Cy Young pitcher and a clear #1 quality starter. He would be right with league leaders this season if he had a little run support. As it is, he leads the AL in Innings pitched and is among the leaders in SO, CG, and WHIP. He has a 3.14 ERA...not to shabby there either! He has clearly proven that he belongs in the league. We gotta get something more for him.

On a sidenote...Who would have ever believed that ANY team would trade away Cy Young pitchers in back to back season...let alone the Indians?

I'm still not buying it yet...every report mentions the Indians have 3 scouts watching the Phillies' AAA team...but they don't mention that they're playing the CLIPPERS. Could it be that we might like to see our own guys in action?

Combined with the catcher and shortstop being pulled...it doesn't really add up. Carrasco is the only piece that makes sense.

Well, nevermind. Now Castro is reporting it's Cliff and Francisco for 4 prospects.

The prospects seem to be Carrasco, Marson, Donald, and Jason Knapp, a big Right-handed starter with a 97 MPH fastball in A ball, who's not even 19 yet.

I can't understand Marson or Donald at all...but Carrasco and Knapp both make a lot of sense, one young, close to major league ready starter with top 2 potential, and a huge upside guy in A ball.

Archived