THE BROWNS BOARD

Urlacher thinks Cutler's a "pussy"

OconRecon

I'm getting a kick out of this story.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...utlers-a-pussy/

Bobby Wade says Urlacher thinks Cutler's a "pussy"

Posted by Mike Florio on July 29, 2009 12:45 PM ET

Well, now that one offseason NFC North quarterback drama emanating from Minneapolis has ended (we think), the football-following world needs a new one.

Enter Vikings receiver Bobby Wade.

Wade told our pal Paul Allen of KFAN within the hour that, during an offseason trip to Vegas with Bears middle linebacker Brian Urlacher, Urlacher expressed a not-so-flattering opinion of new Bears quarterback Jay Cutler.

Basically, Wade said that Urlacher said that Cutler is a "pussy."

Urlacher has been the cornerstone of the Bears' defense since 2000; Cutler arrived via trade earlier this year.

We're told that a podcast of the remaks will be up soon at KFAN's web site.

We hope their hamsters are rested and fed.

I don't get it. Cutler's afraid of stuff? He doesn't seem like it.

I think what Urlacher means is that Cutler came to the team because he is a crybaby ("how could you look at someone other than me") and a prima donna ("f*ck you trade me.)

I hope Cutler gets beaten into the ground. I like his performances, but I don't like him anymore. Screw 'em.

Shows they care.

Or frustrated they can't take their teams to the next level.

Hey, I like watching both of them play, but they're too dickish for me to like as a fan of them personally. Everybody who wears their jersey I just picture a head of a penis sticking out the neck. LOL.

Interesting...

I am actually trying to get in touch with Bobby Wade for an article I am doing but haven't had much luck. I may just have to ask him about this and see how popular this belief is.

Then again, I tried calling Wade months ago and he is one of the players that doesn't return phone calls.

I don't get it. Cutler's afraid of stuff? He doesn't seem like it.

Winning cures everything Shep. Jay is basically replacing a guy that was popular with his Chicago teammates. They don't care how goofy Orton looked. They liked the guy and why shouldn't they? They were 21-12 in games he started/managed. He wasn't a Diva like Worthessberger or anything. Therefore, he wasn't too cool to work hard with the guys and blend in with them.

Cutler has ALL the tools to really upgrade that passing game; AND it'll be interesting to see what he can do when a defense actually gives him a decent margin of error. There's going to be pressure to WIN there and that's really the only thing Jay has left to answer. CAN he win consistently? That said, Cutler's always been embraced by his teammates so I wouldn't put too much stock into any of this.

- Tom F.

Uhrlacher's words prove those guys can be backstabbing bitches like anybody else.

Easy there, fella. The only "backstabber" is Wade for spreading this little gem of a 'rumor.' We don't know context, we don't know if it's true, and more importantly - it's Florio. He doesn't get it all correct when he first posts it. You're ready to get all apeshit on Urlacher for something you're not even sure he did.

And lets face it, Cutler was a little bitch about the entire Bronco's affair. Not only was he completely unprofessional and prissy, he backstabbed the very owner who was in his corner. Karma is coming for his ass I can tell you that.

I can't really judge the Cutler situation in Denver because, well... we don't really know it. We know a kid with a quick release and a cannon arm made the Pro Bowl and then his new coach immediately tried to replace him. I would be pissed. I admit it.

Tom, Cutler can't play defense. His offense was prolific (3rd most passing yards in the NFL, 2nd ranked offense). That's all he can do. Same with Rodgers, although Cutler threw too many picks late in the year, admittedly. Even though quarterbacks are the most important players... it's still a team sport and they're only on the field half of the time. Nobody thinks Orton is as good as Cutler.

Hey, Wade's a Viking. He LOVED telling the world what Meathead said. I blame Meathead for saying it. Not good for the team at all.

EDIT: Urlacher is denying that he said it, and says his "friend" has apologized, says PFT. What kind of friend just lies about that? Seems more likely he apologized for taking it public.

So you can't really judge the Cutler situation in Denver because, well... we don't really know it.

But you can judge Urlacher because you were there and have all the facts? How come you didn't tell us you hang out with the pros?

Because I'm humble that way.

What I meant was that nobody said, "Cutler called McDaniels a faggot." It was all very covert.

This was a direct, first-person account from a close friend of Urlacher's. I have trouble believing Wade just made it up. And calling your teammate a pussy to an opponent is beyond Retarded.

So the thought that maybe the opponent was trying to stir the pot of a division rival never entered your mind? As you say, they are division rivals, friends or not. Why is Wade's word more believable than Urlacher's?

Guest Aloysius
Basically, Wade said that Urlacher said that Cutler is a "pussy."

That sounds like something Urlacher would say....or text:

The Bears' star middle linebacker finds himself back in court in a battle over custody and visitation rights for his two-year-old son, Kennedy. Kennedy's mother, Tyna Robertson, revealed over thirty text messages Urlacher sent her since January using language that makes us suspect that Urlacher might be a guest commentator on some of our posts. Yesterday, Urlacher told a Will County judge that he "couldn't remember" sending messages to Robertson that suggested she was raising Kennedy to be a "little pussy," among other things.

It was suggested by Kevin Seifert ESPN NFC North reporter on KFAN today that the comments by Wade about his conversation with Urlacher while in Las Vegas, where the Bears LB called Cutler a "pussy", were more calculated than you might believe. Wade is savvy to the media and how this would be on everyones radar, [Florio had it reported by 12:45 today] That simply... he wanted to deflate the "media whore" leaving the Vikings at the altar, and change the subject!

Later it was reported that Wade made the call to Urlacher and Coach Lovie Smith to apologise.

Tom, Cutler can't play defense. His offense was prolific (3rd most passing yards in the NFL, 2nd ranked offense). That's all he can do. Same with Rodgers, although Cutler threw too many picks late in the year, admittedly. Even though quarterbacks are the most important players... it's still a team sport and they're only on the field half of the time. Nobody thinks Orton is as good as Cutler.

Shep,

There's an 8 year trend behind the statement "Cutler can't play defense." If he's the Dan Fouts you say he is - he doesn't NEED a defense to make the playoffs consistently. He simply overwhelms and wins. When Tom Brady was throwing 50 TD passes - did it even matter what his defense was doing? All Denver had to do was win ANY 1 of the following games:

Date Opp Score QBRat Comp Att Yds Int TD

Sep 28 @ KAN L 19-33 71.9 29 49 361 2 1

Oct 12 JAC L 17-24 77.8 21 37 192 1 2

Oct 20 @ NWE L 7-41 64.3 17 26 168 2 1

Nov 2 MIA L 17-26 60.7 24 46 307 3 2

Nov 23 OAK L 10-31 49.8 16 37 204 1 0

Dec 14 @ CAR L 10-30 74.3 21 33 172 1 1

Dec 21 BUF L 23-30 72.4 25 45 359 1 0

Dec 28 @ SDG L 21-52 74.9 33 49 316 2 1

Denver's offense ONLY averaged 15 points a game in these 8 losses so it was a little more than "he can't make tackles too." In this span of games - Cutler threw 13 INTs to just 8 TDs. It's 50% of the season. In the game he couldn't score at the same pace as KC's offense - he ended up with 361 harmless yards passing. HOW MUCH of that was junktime yardage where the opponent schemed to yield passing yards in exchange for clock? Miami was another day over 300 yards but I only count 17 points & 3 INTs. Pick a game above and you'll find the SAD truth was Cutler couldn't match the scoring paces of many QBs of lesser gods.

There's 8 pretty good reasons to say WINNING is more important than junktime passing yards. I don't think the 3 losses in a row at the end was a good sign either. If I'm gonna blast DA for that kind of trend - I'm not gonna break out different criteria for Cutler. As I said, I think Cutler is talented but that won't mean dick if this becomes his 9th consecutive season of not being able to lead a team to post season play.

- Tom F. (Denver was in the playoffs EVERY year until Cutler started which is PART of the reason the new Head Coach in Denver preferred another starting QB)

8 GOOD reasons why Denver didn't make the playoffs:

Maybe that 7 point outburst vrs NE stuck in McDaniel's head. Besides, I'm sure he's seen all the film of the games above before clearly deciding he wanted a different starting QB in Denver.

It's really quite simple: these teams with GOOD QBs have made the playoffs at least once in the last 3 years:

Indy (Manning)

New England (Brady)

Arizona (Warner)

Dallas (Romo)

Seattle (Hasselbeck)

Baltimore (McNair & Flacco)

Pittsburgh (Scumbag)

Green Bay (Favre)

New Orleans (Brees)

San Diego (Rivers)

Atlanta (Ryan)

Jacksonville (Garrard)

Philadelphia (McNabb)

NY Giants (Manning)

Carolina (Delhomme)

Jets (Pennington)

Miami (Pennington)

In the Tampa weight room Dungy had a big sign on the wall that read: "No Excuses, No Explanations!" I'm thinking that's modern for "Just Win." He can't make tackles too is an excuse for the inability to hang with the scoring pace of the opponent on days you can only score 7-10 points. There's 3 examples of this above.

- Tom F.

I can't really judge the Cutler situation in Denver because, well... we don't really know it. We know a kid with a quick release and a cannon arm made the Pro Bowl ...

We thought you hated quick release, cannon armed Pro Bowlers.

Zombo

Denver's offense ONLY averaged 15 points a game in these 8 losses so it was a little more than "he can't make tackles too." In this span of games - Cutler threw 13 INTs to just 8 TDs. It's 50% of the season. In the game he couldn't score at the same pace as KC's offense - he ended up with 361 harmless yards passing.

I don't think the 3 losses in a row at the end was a good sign either. If I'm gonna blast DA for that kind of trend - I'm not gonna break out different criteria for Cutler. - Tom F. (Denver was in the playoffs EVERY year until Cutler started which is PART of the reason the new Head Coach in Denver preferred another starting QB)

Wow Tom, that is some pretty outstanding research. I had no idea Cutler resembled the inconsistency of DA so much in his results.

That sounds like something Urlacher would say....or text:

Urlacher Speaks:

Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher reportedly denied making a derogatory comment about quarterback Jay Cutler.

Minnesota Vikings receiver Bobby Wade ignited a controversy with comments he made on Paul Allen's radio show on KFAN in Minneapolis. Wade said he was with Urlacher in Las Vegas last weekend, and that Urlacher called Cutler an unflattering name.

"Pretty much, he said Jay Cutler was [soft] for the most part," Wade said.

Wade, who said he didn't want to get Urlacher in trouble, also said Cutler wasn't what the Bears expected.

"Oh please. I don't think I would ever say that about one of my teammates," Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune. "Look, Bobby Wade's a friend of mine. He's trying to get things going before training camp. That's just Bobby being Bobby.

"I'm pretty sure Jay knows I wouldn't say that about him."

According to the Tribune report, Urlacher said Wade called him to apologize, and Wade also offered to call Lovie Smith to apologize.

Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris had his own response, via Twitter.

"[urlacher] didn't say that," Harris wrote. "You guys are full of it and tell Bobby Wade we'll see about that."

E S P N

Oh well who knows. I mean I really doubt Wade would throw his friend under the bus if this was what he really said. Like what was stated before in the many blogs I read, could be Wade deflecting the story away from Favre and his "re-re-retirement."

Urlacher Speaks:

Oh well who knows. I mean I really doubt Wade would throw his friend under the bus if this was what he really said. Like what was stated before in the many blogs I read, could be Wade deflecting the story away from Favre and his "re-re-retirement."

Or Wade just stirring the pot of a division rival, probably all the while knowing that his friend wouldn't take it too bad. But then again, I wasn't there like others on this forum, so I don't know for sure. :P

If he pulled an Anderson and went 18 starts with a rating of 69, I'd feel differently, but he hasn't.

I just SHOWED you 8 of his 16 games where he actually DID pull a Derek Anderson. 50% of Denver's games weren't nearly as offensive picture perfect as you've described him. Hear me out before intercepting me - passing yards are GOOD but they're not the tellall some think they are. Denver was 2nd in total yards but there was kind of a disconnect if they dropped all the way to 16th in scoring wouldn't you concur? And if I look at 3 of the 8 losses, Cutler only led the offense to 7 points, 10 points and 10 points. The 7 point outing happened against the team Josh McDaniels was coaching and what do they say about 1st impressions? The 3 game skid at the end showed me a tremendous lack of poise the SD Chargers had a ball with. You couldn't clone DA any better than that.

Here's the losses again:

Why do you give Cutler 8 mulligans in his 3rd straight season of Vanderbilt West Shep? I've often wondered if Cutler has EVER really believed in himself because guys preparing for Hall of Fame careers as an NFL QB just don't go to Vanderbilt. He's going to earn about 60 times the salary of the previous starting QB in Chicago who was extremely well liked by teammates. Suffice it to say, he better upgrade 21-12 as the starter or the shit will hit the fan, I mean the QB.

- Tom F. (Denver didn't exactly play a tough schedule either)

Cannon Arm QB + lots of INT's + Bad Attitude + diabetes + Windy City + Suspect WR corps = A lot of concern that I have about Cutler in Chicago.

They just got an air-it-out QB on a conservative, defensive minded team. Not a good combination IMO.

As far as Wade, he didn't return my call. What a surprise.

I was thinking the same thing. Comp% and Qb rating I guess.

I think you're right Vegasdogg. If Cutler won any one of those 8 games, that would have been 9-7 and playoffs (regardless of that D). More specifically, if he maintained poise at the end of the Buffalo game and threw the game tying TD he accomplishes 3 things:

1) He hangs with the scoring pace of the offense led by Trent Edwards

2) His team clinches playoffs w/ a 2 point conversion or 1st score in OT period following a 1 pt conversion.

3) Mike Shanahan & Cutler remain in Denver.

Not saying I don't like the kid, I just think he's a little overrated at this point in time UNTIL the excuses for losing end.

- Tom F.

Archived