THE BROWNS BOARD

Sorry to dig up old news, but its relavent to our Browns.....

PlaygroundLegend

Brett Favre in camp  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we will see Brett Favre visiting Browns Camp?

• Yes
    • No
    • He'll be too busy in camp on some other team
    • Maybe

The media keeps saying theyre not sure if they believe Brett Favre is done, due to the fact that he said he will not be stopping his daily workouts (running, throwing, staying fresh). They think that means he still may want to come back, just later in the season. I have a different idea....

Remember this piece of news?

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/nfl_trac...-to-browns-camp

Eric Mangini and Brett Favre developed a close relationship last season when both were employed by the New York Jets. Mangini, now the Cleveland Browns head coach, wants to continue his relationship with the now-retired Favre. From NYDailyNews.com, per ProFootballTalk.com:

The odd couple are working out the logistics to spend time together this summer.

"He might come out to training camp to visit," Mangini said. "Maybe I will have him do the show team or just hang out."

Since Favre is still under contract to the Jets, Mangini can't have him put on a uniform and run the practice team, of course. But he didn't rule out Favre being a guest instructor for quarterbacks
Brady Quinn
and
Derek Anderson
, who face an open competition in camp for Cleveland's starting quarterback job.

Mangini simply likes the idea of having the future Hall of Famer around for a few days.

"I don't think it would be anything formal," Mangini said. "It's not like we are hiring him to run the scout team. I don't think he would be interested in that. He would be more like a visitor. An open invite."

And this article as well...

Brett Favre just might make an appearance at an NFL training camp this summer — as a guest of new Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini. Mangini told the
New York Daily News
that he and Favre have been text messaging since they last saw each other December 29, the day the Jets fired Mangini and the day after Favre played his final NFL game.

The two are discussing Favre joining Mangini at Browns camp this summer. Favre couldn't run the practice team because he is still under contract with the Jets, but Mangini didn't rule out Favre being a guest instructor for quarterbacks Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson.

"I don't think it would be anything formal," Mangini told the newspaper. "It's not like we are hiring him to run the scout team. I don't think he would be interested in that. He would be more like a visitor. An open invite."

The relationship between Mangini and Favre was analyzed extensively when the Jets faded down the stretch of the 2008 season and were eliminated from the playoffs. Mangini says he had no problem with Favre, who has never publicly criticized his former coach.

"We had a legitimately good relationship," Mangini said. "He's a good guy. I like Brett a lot. That was a tough situation for him to come into and I thought he handled it incredibly well."

So do you think we will be seeing the "great" Brett Favre in camp?

If Favre shows up in Cleveland in the next 2 weeks, odds are he'll be on the roster come the beginning of the season.

Yeah right, like Brett Favre wants to play for the xxxxin browns....

Yea your name says it all. :lol:

So you and Adam think if Favre takes up Mangini on the invite to come in and help the young QBs he won't get the itch to play? You think Quinn and Anderson are both better than Favre right now? Be careful how you answer that 2nd question guys.

So you and Adam think if Favre takes up Mangini on the invite to come in and help the young QBs he won't get the itch to play? You think Quinn and Anderson are both better than Favre right now? Be careful how you answer that 2nd question guys.

Sorry, I tired of Favre's act long ago. I wanna play- I'm retired, endless repletion. Go away already Brett. He's not going to want to come in to be a backup, he's going to want to start. Yeah- that's the ticket- a one year rent-a-player on a rebuilding team.

You think Quinn and Anderson are both better than Favre right now? Be careful how you answer that 2nd question guys.

No. But why would you bring in Favre and waste a year of development? If you think one of these guys can make it happen, you don't bring in Favre. If you still think you're searching for a starting QB, you bring in Favre.

I personally think we just might bring him in as a helper, an extra QB coach is you will, another camp arm, just to help out.

I hate Brett Farve, I always hated him, with a passion, with his country accent and wrangler jeans..... I dont dig the whole green bay thing, he's overrated, yeah his stats are great, but he is and was a loose cannon, and if tome brady starts for 12 seasons he will most certainly pass up Favre's numbers

No way Favre plays in Cleveland, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him hang around the Browns (or another team) to "help out" their young QBs. And I still half-expect him to sign with another team about halfway through the year when someone gets hurt. Two thoughts on that:

1. Staying around a team keeps people interested in him, and Favre gets off on attention.

2. He stays in shape, but he doesn't want to go through the grind of preparing for an NFL season. That means he shows up late, plays gangbusters in the first half of the year, and goes to crap in the second half because his body falls apart. Starting in week eight might alleviate that for him.

If he does sign halfway through the year, I hope that the whole "800 straight games started" doesn't carry over. Just because you're technically retired doesn't stop games, and you don't get to have people call you the ironman of the NFL if you take half a year off.

Dennis

Archived