THE BROWNS BOARD

Jerome Harrison article

ndneighbor

Found this in a news search. There's also 6-7 pics at the link. http://www.mlive.com/sports/kalamazoo/inde...me_harriso.html

MLive.com logo

Working & waiting: Jerome Harrison finally closing in on his opportunity with Browns

Posted by Graham Couch | Kalamazoo Gazette July 30, 2009 08:10AM

NFL training camp preview

Courtesy of Tony VillaniJerome Harrison works out last week in Atlanta in preparation for the 2009 NFL season, as other NFL players at Tony Villani's sports performance center look on, including Harrison's backfield mate with the Cleveland Browns, Jamal Lewis (third from right and shirtless).

KALAMAZOO -- This time, no disrespect was intended.

Chuck Crow / Cleveland Plain DealerJerome Harrison runs last season against the Denver Broncos' Karl Paymah. Harrison is expected to have a greater role this season under new coach Eric Mangini.

In street clothes, at all of 5-feet-9-inches tall and about 200 pounds, Jerome Harrison simply isn't the most recognizable fella.

And, while not thrilled by the $13 guest fee at the Borgess Health and Fitness Center on Kalamazoo's Northeast Side, Harrison wasn't about to offer up his identity in an effort to sway the desk clerk into a few free passes.

Instead, he got a kick out of touting the celebrity -- though actually nonexistent -- of the reporter he'd invited along for a workout.

"You don't know who this is?" Harrison said, leaning over the counter and sounding genuinely surprised.

Fifty-two dollars later, Harrison and his three cohorts were on their way to an NFL-style training session, minus the preferential treatment.

Harrison has long-since felt disregarded by his hometown -- though, honestly, this wasn't one of those times.

The former Kalamazoo Central star and fourth-year Cleveland Browns running back isn't shy about his resentment toward the city, his former high school or even the way he perceives this newspaper ignored him in favor of others during his prep and early college days.

Jerome Harrison

Next year, he's planning to host his first football camp for area youths, but not at K-Central. Instead, choosing another alma mater, Northeastern Elementary School, the place where his rocket football career began and where he feels loved.

By then, Harrison might not be so anonymous. Here or anywhere.

At least that's the vibe coming from those who play and train -- ahem, really train -- with Harrison.

On the cusp?

The idea behind this story, before any reporting, was to catch up with "JC" -- as he's known by friends -- heading into the last year of his rookie contract.

After a modest start to his career -- 448 yards on 77 carries through three seasons -- could he hang on, make the team again and get a fourth year under his belt, qualifying him for the NFL's pension plan?

Graham Couch / Kalamazoo GazetteOn NFL draft weekend in 2006, Harrison had to wait until the fifth round to hear his name called, while friend and former high school teammate Greg Jennings went on Day 1.

It seemed like a make-or-break training camp for Harrison.

As it turns out, his job, according to published reports, his teammates and trainers, is safe, barring injury.

Even if he's too wise to admit it.

Moreover, it appears his career may be about to take off after what was a slow but steady climb the last few seasons, given limited opportunity.

"Everybody thought I'd play more," said Harrison, who was touted more than utilized by the Browns' former coaching staff. "It doesn't always happen like that.

"I wasn't the coach. I can't put myself into the game. ... I guess it just wasn't my time."

Ex-Browns coach Romeo Crennel has been publicly criticized for his failure to make good on statements that he'd make Harrison a significant part of the game plan.

New Browns boss Eric Mangini is expected to feature Harrison considerably more, especially to spell 10-year veteran Jamal Lewis, who, admittedly, can no longer carry the load he once did.

Courtesy of Tony VillaniOnce Jerome Harrison, left, showed Cleveland Browns teammate Jamal Lewis that he was serious about training, the 10-year-veteran Lewis took Harrison under his wing.

Mattawan native Noah Herron and rookie sixth-round pick James Davis are competing for the Browns' third-string job, but only to back up Lewis and Harrison.

"He's an asset we've got on the team that we've not used," Lewis said of Harrison. "With Mangini, we'll use him a little more.

"He's got good work ethic. He's a small guy, but he's got a big heart. He plays big. He knows the game, he's smart. He's doing everything you can ask him to do to get to that (featured running back) spot."

"Both Jerome and Jamal know it's about to be Jerome's time," said trainer Tony Villani, who owns and runs the Atlanta-based training center for professional athletes that both Lewis and Harrison attend throughout June and July. " ... Jerome sees Jamal coming to the end of his career and knows the opportunity is his to seize."

When given the chance, he's done so thus far.

Harrison's NFL numbers pale in comparison to the college football-leading 1,900 yards he put up as a senior at Washington State in 2005. Yet, he's averaged 5.8 yards per carry to this point -- including 7.2 per attempt in 2008, when he rushed 34 times for 246 yards and recorded his first touchdown on a 72-yard burst on Monday Night Football.

Associated press fileJerome Harrison led the nation in rushing with 1,900 yards as a senior at Washington State in 2005.

So the future sounds promising, right?

Harrison has seen too much in the business of pro football to enter his fourth training camp -- beginning this Saturday in Berea, Ohio -- feeling comfortable.

"I don't ever take that mindset," the 26-year-old said. "The first time I take that mindset, I'll be looking through the Sunday papers, looking for a job. I've seen the best guys have great camps, great preseasons and get cut.

"I've seen a lot of guys get comfortable. Then, come that due date (for cuts), I've seen a lot of guys' faces, grown men crying. I'm not trying to be part of that."

'No. 35 is not what he used to be'

The 16-24 NFL players training on a daily basis at Villani's sports performance center chant the above, inserting the proper number, when one of their brethren is struggling through a workout.

Harrison, finding little sympathy for those not in the NFL, used it on his friends at the Borgess Health and Fitness Center.

There, No. 35 led a foursome through an abbreviated training session -- including treadmill sprints on extreme inclines, an assembly line-style free weight workout and ladder footwork drills that reminded anyone not named JC exactly what "uncoordinated" is.

In Atlanta, under the guidance of Villani and fellow strength and conditioning coach Neal Garner, Harrison's workouts are much more fierce.

Sprints, hurdles, sandpits, stadium steps ... and that's before he hits the weight room in the afternoon.

"If you're not working, somebody else is," Harrison said.

It's an attitude he picked up from Lewis and other veteran players in Atlanta -- a community Harrison says feels like home. "I'm as happy as I've ever been," he added.

Harrison first had to prove to Lewis he was serious about his career.

"When I first came (to Cleveland), JC said something about coming down to Atlanta to work out with me," said Lewis, who signed with the Browns after Harrison's rookie season. "I said alright. ... He ended up showing up. The first day he almost puked, which is something I'm used to seeing. I never see guys come back. But he showed up the next day. I said, 'OK, we've got something.' That's when he gained my respect."

When Harrison arrived for his first six weeks of summer training camp prep in Atlanta, his only goal was to be like Lewis, who's rushed for more than 1,000 yards seven times and whose 2,066 yards in 2003 is the second most in a season in NFL history.

Chuck Crow / Cleveland Plain DealerJerome Harrison, shown here last season against the New York Giants, rushed for 246 yards on 34 carries last season, including a 72-yard touchdown run on Monday Night Football.

"We told him, 'Our first goal is to get you to a second NFL contract,'" Villani said. "He said, 'What do you mean? My goal is a 1000-yard season.'"

Two years later, the chip Harrison carried on his shoulder from Kalamazoo, to Pasadena City College, to Washington State and to Cleveland -- after being passed over until the fifth round of the 2006 NFL draft -- has softened.

In Atlanta and Cleveland, it's no longer about proving everyone wrong, it's about building a long, lucrative career, like so many of the players he trains with have done.

"I've learned your body is your business," said Harrison, who says he passes on tempting nightlife in favor of a 10 p.m. bedtime and a date with "CSI Miami." "I always knew it, but they take care of their bodies at a whole different level.

"I was on the training table and there was stuff I didn't even know was wrong with me (including a broken toe). ... I was like, 'My body is really messed up.'"

What Harrison lacks in veteran savvy, he's contributed in enthusiasm for a career not yet made.

"He's good as far as motivating guys," said Garner, who puts together Harrison's afternoon weightlifting regimens. "Every year, JC comes harder and harder. Especially guys who know him and work out with him, they see the dues he's paying. It's time to reap them."

His new coach makes it sound as if he will.

"I have been very pleased with him in all aspects -- running, catching, protection, and the way he works on he field and in the classroom," Mangini told the Cleveland Plain Dealer, hinting that he plans to use Harrison more on first and second down to help save Lewis, who will turn 30 in August.

Harrison's heard the praise before. He'll believe it when Mangini backs up his lip service with carries.

Facing the end of a four-year contract slated to pay him $530,000 this season, Harrison called 2009 a "Huge year."

"Let me play," he said. "The rest will take care of itself."

Courtesy of the Cleveland BrownsJerome Harrison plans to host a youth football clinic next summer at his old elementary school, Northeastern in Kalamazoo.

© 2009 Michigan Live. All Rights Reserved.

large_NFLHarrisonbears.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/sports/kalamazoo/inde...me_harriso.html

Great article ND thanks. I love JH, I hope we do get to see a lot more of him this season. If we can mix up the ground game between him and JL behind our new (and hopefully improved) OL it not only means a more productive running game but more Play Action for Quinn. I'm drooling.

large_NFLHarrisontraining1.jpg

I have run in the sand as part of a workout. Great core & lower body workout, but the pain two days later? Wow. It is a ballbuster.

Thats why ya do it more than once :)

The soreness goes away after a couple times

What I really liked in this article was seeing how much time Jamal and Jerome were spending together. Hopefully, only Jamal's better side will rub off.

I hope Harrison has an enormous year and gets a proper sized contract to make up for the shortcomings of his rookie contract and first coaching staff he had to work with.

Looks like J-Lew rocking the skins & the grey shorts.

& Harrison looks plenty big to be a feature back.

Is that LeRon McLain by lewis?

That was horrible writing. Anyways I'm a Bears fan chiming in and following Harrison. I am a Browns fan 2nd but the Bears are my team. Now will Harrison be seeing more playing time with Mangini in your opinion? I followed his college career and what little playing time he has gotten here so far and I got to say I know he will be a big time player with the chip on this guys shoulder.

Harrison is hungry to prove people wrong and players that play with a chip on there shoulder excel. This guy has a attitude that you wish all players had. Anyways do you see him turning into a big play guy??? I'm pegging him as my Fantasy Football sleeper this year and hope he gets his chance to shine cause I know he will. Hope you guys have a great season and I think Quinn will be a solid qb, not great but solid. BEAR DOWN

That was horrible writing. Anyways I'm a Bears fan chiming in and following Harrison. I am a Browns fan 2nd but the Bears are my team. Now will Harrison be seeing more playing time with Mangini in your opinion? I followed his college career and what little playing time he has gotten here so far and I got to say I know he will be a big time player with the chip on this guys shoulder.

Harrison is hungry to prove people wrong and players that play with a chip on there shoulder excel. This guy has a attitude that you wish all players had. Anyways do you see him turning into a big play guy??? I'm pegging him as my Fantasy Football sleeper this year and hope he gets his chance to shine cause I know he will. Hope you guys have a great season and I think Quinn will be a solid qb, not great but solid. BEAR DOWN

Wow, you don't seem to have great writing skills either, yet you chose to slam the writer of this article? Interesting approach.

Wow, you don't seem to have great writing skills either, yet you chose to slam the writer of this article? Interesting approach.

Wow, Brown fans don't have any class whatsoever. You are right up there with the dirtbag Raider fans. I would say "you guys" but I still believe there's some Browns fans with class. You just bash me because I'm a Bears fan. I came on here with respect and because I have been following Jerome Harrisons career. Thanks for your time

Easy there, union. No one here gives a sh*t that you're a Bears fan, I promise you. We won't hate you until November. Until then, you're certainly welcome here but you'll need to toughen up a bit if you thought Vegas' post was classless. It'll get worse.

Anyway, the Bears are my #2 team and I'm happy to talk Bears, too. I'm not expecting a good year because I think the D is in aging fast but the offense is going to be fantasy football gold this year. Forte will be a top 5 back with Cutler back there and Hester may actually emerge as a FFB stud this year.

Easy there, union. No one here gives a sh*t that you're a Bears fan, I promise you. We won't hate you until November. Until then, you're certainly welcome here but you'll need to toughen up a bit if you thought Vegas' post was classless. It'll get worse.

Anyway, the Bears are my #2 team and I'm happy to talk Bears, too. I'm not expecting a good year because I think the D is in aging fast but the offense is going to be fantasy football gold this year. Forte will be a top 5 back with Cutler back there and Hester may actually emerge as a FFB stud this year.

Ya watch for Earl Bennett to explode. So far this off-season and through 4 days of training camp he's been dominating with Cutler. Cutlers favorite target is Greg Olsen, he looks for him every play and they have been connecting for a lot of touchdowns through 10 training camp practices. I know it's early but they have a good rapport.

Guest TheJokersWILD
Wow, Brown fans don't have any class whatsoever. You are right up there with the dirtbag Raider fans. I would say "you guys" but I still believe there's some Browns fans with class. You just bash me because I'm a Bears fan. I came on here with respect and because I have been following Jerome Harrisons career. Thanks for your time

You have some nerve coming on here and saying we don't have class, we even respect some of the Steeler fans opinions given they aren't just trying to be complete asses and are actually trying to talk football.

Ya watch for Earl Bennett to explode. So far this off-season and through 4 days of training camp he's been dominating with Cutler. Cutlers favorite target is Greg Olsen, he looks for him every play and they have been connecting for a lot of touchdowns through 10 training camp practices. I know it's early but they have a good rapport.

Then you come on and talk about this shit. Did you get lost? This isn't a Bears board. You must have known that considering you had to sign up. :rolleyes:

Archived