THE BROWNS BOARD

Challenge For DA Fans

WPB Dawg Fan

I found this article...I am posting only the second half as the first half is just talking about the writer and his belief in Quinn as the starter...but that being said, I think the challenge is fair and I would like to see some responses that follow the guidelines. Please refrain from Quinn pimping here. This is strictly a DA thread. NO QUINN ALLOWED!

Writer's Challenge For Cleveland Browns Fans Who Support DA

by Erin McLaughlin (Columnist)

Erin McLaughlin

Over the months I was looking for intelligent debates on the subject. I knew that there were still some fans who support DA. I am disappointed that I have yet to see a case for DA that doesn't involve Quinn bashing or excuses.

I have been asking for months for a solid case for Anderson and I have yet to get it. I have made no secret that I don't think their should be a quarterback competition. The reason is that I cannot think of any reason to go with Anderson and I want to see Quinn play.

My biggest issues with Anderson are his inconsistency, turnovers, and lack of leadership. That is based on almost two seasons starting and his college career. Therefore, that criticism is more justified. It is based on what I have seen him do not me thinking I know who will or won't be good in the NFL.

At the end of the day I cannot think of any case for Anderson being the starter. I have asked for it on many occasions. So far I have gotten Quinn bashing and excuses.

One excuse is the typical Braylon Edwards dropping passes argument. That holds no water because he dropped about the same number in 2007. The one I remember is the one against the 49ers when Quinn hit him in the endzone in his first ever NFL drive.

The dropping passes argument just doesn't work. That same receiever bailed DA out on many occasions when the ball wasn't perfect.

The other one is poor weather conditions. This is Cleveland and a quarterback has to be able to perform in bad weather. Tom Brady, Ben Rothliesberger, and Donovan McNabb all perform in miserable weather. So here is another excuse that doesn't work.

So my challenge to the fans who support DA is to write an article that makes a solid case for him. That article should follow this criteria:

1. No Quinn bashing. That means nothing that is even remotely negative about Brady Quinn. Simply focus on building Anderson up.

2. No Excuses. That means no blaming Braylon Edwards, no lame weather comments, and no blaming the line, etc.

That is the challenge I present to Browns fans who support DA. Write your article and send me the link. I would love to see it.

So...to be fair....here is my stab at it:

1. DA's arm will force teams to cover deep...thereby opening up the running lanes

2. DA's arm allows him to get the ball to receivers faster...allowing for less separation from defenders

3. DA's experience against NFL defenses allows him to 'recognize' instead of react

4. DA has proven that with the right pieces around him he can put points on the board

5. DA has forged a relationship with the starters over the past 2 years

6. DA is only 26 and in his 3rd year starting...many QB's (and players) come into their own around that time

There....no mention of anybody but DA...and 6 valid points.

Now, have a go.

(personally, not buying what I just tried to sell...I think DA is dependent on his OL and RB's to get the ball deep..not the other way around....and I believe DA has started to question himself and thereby holding the ball too long....and I think DA is no longer instinctual so he is reacting....and we need a QB that can get it done when all the right pieces are NOT there...and he has had ample opportunity to prove these things wrong but hasn't done it since game 8 of '07, IMHO)

I just want us to win. Im sure all of you feel the same way. But after a loss are you going to call for the quaterbacks head? How many of you are going to be happy if the coach starts Anderson? I didnt say Im a fan of D.A. just asking a question

So my challenge to the fans who support DA is to write an article that makes a solid case for him. That article should follow this criteria:

1. No Quinn bashing. That means nothing that is even remotely negative about Brady Quinn. Simply focus on building Anderson up.

2. No Excuses. That means no blaming Braylon Edwards, no lame weather comments, and no blaming the line, etc.

That is the challenge I present to Browns fans who support DA. Write your article and send me the link. I would love to see it.

Nice call WPB...errr Erin.

For your pet project, I've decided to contribute an article that fits your criteria:

"Anderson just turned 26 and has thrown 43 touchdown passes. For the Cleveland Browns."

:End of article.

And speaking of "making a case for your QB without bashing the other guy", ever seen one for BQ?

Nice call WPB...errr Erin.

For your pet project, I've decided to contribute an article that fits your criteria:

"Anderson just turned 26 and has thrown 43 touchdown passes. For the Cleveland Browns."

And speaking of "making a case for your QB without bashing the other guy", ever seen one for BQ?

wow....I did better than you did by far. not much of a fan are you???

couldn't resist commenting on the other guy, could you? but if you want that ....go ahead and start one.

wow....I did better than you did by far. not much of a fan are you???

Dominated. Biggest total domination of the Fraud yet.

That's all you got Lum? Seriously? Your case for DA is that he's thrown 43 career touchdown passes? That's it? Really?

You're weak. Unbelievably weak. Are you this big of a joke to the people who know you? (If there actually are people who know you.)

End of article? Are you kidding me? So what if he has thrown 43 TD's? Big f*cking deal dude.

That isn't shit when placed next to his 51 turnovers .

43 TD's and 51 turnovers in 31 games avg's out to 21 TD's and 25 turnovers per season.

That is not starter material for this team. That is Charlie Frye.

We're not looking for Frye.

Erin's self bio per bleacherreport.com..............

I am a lifelong sports fan. Football is my passion. I am originally from Michigan but have lived in Hawaii for 10 years. My teams are all the Detroit teams, especially the Red Wings. I have a unique rooting interest in college football. I like Notre Dame and Michigan equally. You may wonder how is that possible? Well I am from Michigan and I am Irish. So yes, the most conflicted week in my life is usually the second or third week in September. It is always a chore figuring out who to root for. I love seeing Michigan and Notre Dame players succeed in the NFL. My two favorite Quarterbacks are both named Brady. One is in Cleveland and one is in New England. If either got traded I would stop caring for that team and root for the team they went to. I am also a fan of the Hawaii Warriors football team. However, I was recently bannished from the Warrior nation for rooting for Notre Dame over Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl. It was worth it though because I got to be there live when the Irish broke the bowl losing streak that covered 9 games and 15 years. I enjoy sharing my opinion on all NFL teams.

The player I dislike more than anybody else is Brett Favre. The reason is that I respect the player he was but I hate the person he has become. He seems like a guy who cares more about being the hero and remaining in the spotlight. He does what he can to stay in the news

LOL (How do you guys find these columnists?)

End of article? Are you kidding me? So what if he has thrown 43 TD's? Big f*cking deal dude.

That isn't shit when placed next to his 51 turnovers .

43 TD's and 51 turnovers in 31 games avg's out to 21 TD's and 25 turnovers per season.

That is not starter material for this team. That is Charlie Frye.

We're not looking for Frye.

A little fact checking reveals the ratio at 43 and 40... 35 ints, 5 fumbles. Not good, not as bad as you painted it.

Erin's self bio per bleacherreport.com..............

I am a lifelong sports fan. Football is my passion. I am originally from Michigan but have lived in Hawaii for 10 years. My teams are all the Detroit teams, especially the Red Wings. I have a unique rooting interest in college football. I like Notre Dame and Michigan equally. You may wonder how is that possible? Well I am from Michigan and I am Irish. So yes, the most conflicted week in my life is usually the second or third week in September. It is always a chore figuring out who to root for. I love seeing Michigan and Notre Dame players succeed in the NFL. My two favorite Quarterbacks are both named Brady. One is in Cleveland and one is in New England. If either got traded I would stop caring for that team and root for the team they went to. I am also a fan of the Hawaii Warriors football team. However, I was recently bannished from the Warrior nation for rooting for Notre Dame over Hawaii in the Hawaii Bowl. It was worth it though because I got to be there live when the Irish broke the bowl losing streak that covered 9 games and 15 years. I enjoy sharing my opinion on all NFL teams.

The player I dislike more than anybody else is Brett Favre. The reason is that I respect the player he was but I hate the person he has become. He seems like a guy who cares more about being the hero and remaining in the spotlight. He does what he can to stay in the news

LOL (How do you guys find these columnists?)

she's a blogger

A little fact checking reveals the ratio at 43 and 40... 35 ints, 5 fumbles. Not good, not as bad as you painted it.

true, it was 16 fumbles...but he lost only 5 of them.

she's a blogger

and I didn't do it because of the person writing it...I just thought that the DA supporters would like a chance to tell us exactly why they support him without the other QB being involved.

too bad none of them have taken this opportunity seriously.

LOL....I caught that after I posted it (he had 16 fumbles but only lost 5) but I left it because I want to see Lumnuts defend 21 TD's and 20 TO's per season. Doesn't seem so great when you include the turnovers. His excuse has always been we had shitty QB's before Derek and that our little team should be happy to have him. As you can see, Browns fans don't think that way.

The browns best year since there return to Cleveland offensively was with Derek Anderson at the helm.

They had an explosive offense and this was largely due to Anderson's big play arm keeping safeties off the line. This resulted in the best rushing offense the browns have had in a long time.

While the offensive line played great in 2007, allowing very few sacks and blocking well for Lewis, Anderson was a big part of making the offensive line look good. He got the ball out of his hands very quickly looked to have good pocket presense.

While 2007 was a great year for Anderson, 2008 was anything but.

This can be looked at in many ways. Some say Anderson had a flukie year in 2007, aided by the fact that other teams knew very little about the new offense run by Chud and about Anderson himself.

But while it is clear Anderson played very badly in 2008, a big part of this was opposing defenses making adjustments that Chud and Anderson didn't react to well at all.

Maybe it was just a sophemore slump.

In his third year, Anderson will have a new coaching staff that hopes to be more creative and run-heavy than the Romeo/Chud offense that took only a half a year for opposing defenses to adjust to.

Anderson may not be the smartest quarterback on the team, but there is no question he has the best arm on the team, and if he grasps the offense put in front of him, as he did in 2007, choosing Anderson probably leads to the most upside.

Lastly, What DA seems to struggle with the most is quick-decision making. Some will say that this can't be coached, but others might say with coach Mangini putting his QB's through many pressure situations in practice and making sure they know the playbook like the back of their hand, the decision making will come more naturally and hopefully it will be the defense who will be caught off-guard.

Let's hope if Anderson wins the job, it is because he wins it, rather than Quinn loses it.

There is my attempt, and yes, I hope Quinn wins the job and I fully expect it.

How frustrated does your manager at McDonalds get when you constantly f*ck up orders?

The screwing up of the orders doesn't frustrate the manager nearly as much as what Lum says when the manager points out the error:

He simply accuses the manager of having a crush on Quinn.

I've pointed out that he has averaged 21 TD's and 20 turnovers a season. Your silence is deafening.

Obviously 2 regimes don't think you're boy is good enough to be named outright starter. He had the job, and lost the job, and now is being forced by a second regime to audition for the role. He is showing something they don't like after all those starts, and just like members of this board, they're not fooled by 21 TD's per season - they also see the 20 turnovers per season.

You're going to have some stupid comment comparing him to Quinn. I don't care how Quinn did in 3 starts - that is not enough time to figure him out. I want to know what excuse you have for DA's mediocre performances and inconsistencies.

Jesus Lumnuts, John gives you one simple direction (don't mention Quinn) and you can't even do that.

How frustrated does your manager at McDonalds get when you constantly f*ck up orders?

It's a good thing you're covered under the American's with Disabilities act...

I think you have made a McDonalds reference before, and I resent that to be honest.

Between stock and a 35% share in my brothers company which operated 6 McDonald's restaurants in Florida over a 19 year period...he ran them and was the owner of record, and I provided the seed money in the beginning, and various other services his company required, McDonalds has helped make me a fairly wealthy man to be honest.

McDonald's is the greatest company in the world.

McDonalds has started many people's careers and helped get them to where they are today.

Don't just point to the reject who works there...lot's of people have taken that job, learned their lessons, and moved on to bigger and better things, be it with that company or with another..

Just sticking up for a big cash cow in my life.

I think you have made a McDonalds reference before, and I resent that to be honest.

Between stock and a 35% share in my brothers company which operated 6 McDonald's restaurants in Florida over a 19 year period...he ran them and was the owner of record, and I provided the seed money in the beginning, and various other services his company required, McDonalds has helped make me a fairly wealthy man to be honest.

McDonald's is the greatest company in the world.

McDonalds has started many people's careers and helped get them to where they are today.

Don't just point to the reject who works there...lot's of people have taken that job, learned their lessons, and moved on to bigger and better things, be it with that company or with another..

Just sticking up for a big cash cow in my life.

Gotta agree with ya Peen. I've still got my Mickey D's one year service ring (from years ago) in a box somewhere in the house that never got unpacked after moving.

I don't know about greatest company, but certainly great. From training to learning responsibility, it's not a bad place to start. Very happy to hear the McD system did right by you.

I don't believe an insult was intended. There are other jobs that are far more dead ended. McDs is an all too convenient target for criticism.

Edit: Perhaps he did intend an insult. Food for thought though.

Who in the hell is Erin McLaughlin (columnist)?????? A self admitted Quinn fan and NOT a Browns fan---isn't that what some here accuse Lums of being.....

It seems to me that with the inception of fantasy league football, everyone has become football masterminds, even those who have never been around the game in their life..... Statistics rule the world and thats it...

None of us here will have a voice on choosing this years QB... The majority want to see Quinn only based on the fact that DA has underperformed and we used a first round pick on the guy (include me in that group)....

I'm so glad that the season is finally upon us.... Most questions will be answered and threads like this will become a thing of the past...

I can honestly make a case for each QB.... I'll wholeheartedly support whoever is the starter.... AND if your only reason for being on this board is your favorite player plays for the Browns then I feel so sorry for you.... You'll never get the feelings I get when the Browns come out on top, you'll never experience that special feeling that a Browns win brings------don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out....

Peace

T.Dawg

Archived