THE BROWNS BOARD

TRAINING CAMP

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

For those coming into Berea for the Browns (veterans) Opening Day of Training Camp on Saturday August 1st, my wife and I are having a little party at the Upper Deck Sports Cafe immediately following the morning session.

Itinerary - Saturday August 1st

7:45am - Gates open at Browns training Camp (morning session)

8:45am - BROWNS TRAINING CAMP MORNING SESSION BEGINS

10:45am - Morning session ends.

11:00am - TRAINING CAMP PARTY at the UPPER DECK SPORTS CAFE (all-day).

4:45pm - Gates open at Browns training Camp (evening session)

5:45pm - BROWNS TRAINING CAMP EVENING SESSION BEGINS

7:45pm - Evening session ends.

Or come early for the evening session and catch the party winding down.

UPPER DECK SPORTS CAFE

www.theupperdecksportscafe.com

375 W Bagley Rd

Berea, OH 44017-1349

(440) 891-7427

Get directions

(by Marc's store, a mile or so West of the Browns Camp parking on Bagley Road)

hey Stan I'm slammed at work right now but was planning on leaving a little early Saturday from Solon and heading to Berea for camp. Maybe I'll leave around 3 ish and that'll give me time to hang out. What's the deal with traffic there?

Guest ATENEARS

I will put up a map. I just looked at the Browns (.pdf) map off their web site and it is poorly done IMO.

What the deal is, is Berea is getting new Train over/under passes and the entire North-end surrounding the Browns Berea facility is under construction and all roads closed. However, you can't enter the Browns facility from their main front gates anyhow, you have to enter through the South enterance off Beech Street within Baldwin Wallace College Campus (which is NOT under construction).

The corner of Beech Street off Bagley Road is where you will park, so come in using I-71 to Bagley Road and head West. You will pass Southwest General Hospital, Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds, Berea High School, then come upon Baldwin Wallace, which signs and crowd will point out the designated parking areas. Then it is a 3-4 block walk up Beech street to enter the complex. (If coming to the Upper Deck Sports Cafe, continue on Bagley for another mile or so. The Upper Deck is in the same plaza as Marc's grocery store).

From the North, take I-71 to I-237 (Berea/Airport freeway) as if you are going to Hopkins airport or the IX center. I-237 runs straight into North Rocky River Drive before branching left onto Front Street. Front Street is closed, so stay straight on N. Rocky River Drive for a few miles until it intersects with Bagley Road. Turn left to go to the Browns Parking at Beech & Bagley, turn Right if coming to the Upper Deck Sports Cafe.

We'll leave the light on ...

How's that ball team doing??

Looking forward to the season my man. I have a feeling we are going to show marked improvement...maybe even see a few wins this year..lol...I hope so anyway.

For a split second I almost decided to join you on Saturday, but remembered I have something going on Sat night.

Guest ATENEARS

We have created a TRAINING CAMP INFORMATION PAGE complete with available times/dates and map to avoid construction and road closings in Berea.

We will also be bringing you first hand TRAINING CAMP REPORTS such as we have done in seasons past. Check here on Saturday Night for The Browns Boards Opening Day Training Camp report.

If coming out to Berea for Opening Day of Camp, Saturday August 1st, meet up with us at The Upper Deck Sports Cafe. See above link for details and a map to The Upper Deck & the Browns Facility.

Guest ATENEARS
HAPPY BROWNS OPENING DAY OF TRAINING CAMP !!!

Hash browns cooked, eggs and bacon fried, coffee in me ... time to blend the Margarita's & Daiquiris for this mornings Cleveland Browns Training Camp gathering. Meet us at the Upper Deck Sports Cafe in Berea between 11am-5pm!

Watch for our first hand Camp reports here and archived on our: TRAINING CAMP PAGE

We will be providing updates and pictures from the Upper Deck Sports Cafe all-day, live on-site!

28coh74.jpg

Ready for some football?

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

The first player on the field for the first training camp practice Saturday morning was the first rounder.

Alex Mack left the locker room about 8:05 for his first full-squad training camp practice, about 20 minutes after gates opened for anxious fans. Mack has since been joined by a steady stream of teammates.

The Browns practice today at 8:45 a.m. and 5:45 p.m., and again Sunday at 1:30 p.m. Stay tuned to ClevelandBrowns.com this afternoon for photos, stories and interviews.

link

--------------------------------------------

Go Alex...be a warrior!!! Go Browns!

The first player on the field for the first training camp practice Saturday morning was the first rounder....Alex Mack

Good. We want guys who cannot wait to play, love the game, and are pumped as hell to get started. At the very least it tells me he wants to be a leader. No matter how small a gesture, I like the statement.

I really wish i could go to camp...570 or so miles is a little far to drive for a practice.

Any pics and reports is what I count on...thanks in advance.

I'm 2,000 miles away, so yea, thanks Kosar.

TBB is definitely my #1 source for Browns info.

-Al (Yea, you can use that last line on the testimonials page...)

Guest ATENEARS

The team did most of the scrimmaging and match-ups on the far field, near the media and VIP people. Not much to report, besides Dawson was drilling kicks left and right on the near field, until a position coach started tinkering with his mechanics, then he seemed to lose power and had movement on his balls. Leave this guy alone, he was absolute money doing it his way.

Dawson%202.jpg

One neat new drill Mangini must have implimented, was having the QB's throw passes to the other QB's who were running the patterns (look closely at picture below, QB's in orange). I believe this was a good drill at having the QB's learn the patterns even better by running the routes instead of sitting and awaiting their turn. There was no coverage, just basic patterns and walking through plays.

QBs.jpg

More to come ... I'm on location at The Upper Deck, with Rifferx on his way and fans streaming in.

We will load some pictures shortly

OBR did a report. Highlights:

- Both Robaire and Corey were full go and looked good.

- J-Lew looked thinner, quick, and healthy.

- James Davis really accelerates through a hole.

- Robiskie and Furrey both looked "smooth and quick" at the WRs.

- Quinn and Anderson were mostly good with some bad throws mixed in. The usual. Quinn was quick and decisive and in rhythm in the short to medium but Anderson had more nice downfield throws.

- Starting OL was Thomas, Steinbach, FRALEY, Womack, St. Clair. I assume Fraley is being shown respect.

You are right, it doesn't matter who the starting line is on the first day. It matters who they are on the last day.

The only thing that bothers me is that the media will scrutinize every move the QBs make. Every throw that is off , every time they scratch their balls. If someone scratches his balls with his left hand they may speculate that his right hand is injured. Sometimes it isn't about the QBs, it's about the receivers and who is covering them. But, unfortunately, we are going to get a lot of hype for and against. First day and we here words like comfortable, decisive, in rhythm.

Every QB is camp is going to experience receivers running wrong routes or even DBs in the wrong coverage and I'm afraid all the slant is all going to be about the QB competition. For me, I think I will take things with a "grain of salt" until the first preseason game. Quinn started all the sessions today so speculation is that he's ahead. If DA starts the sessions tonight, maybe the spin will be that he's outpeforming Quinn.

It's fun to read but also laughable.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Thanks for the pics Stan. You live in Berea don't ya? Lucky bastard!!

Love that Mack was out there early, he's got Fraley's desire with more upside. I always liked how Hank was the first guy to give JL a hand up down field after the play. Showed heart and hustle.

Official site update

Camp off and running

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

One training camp practice is in the books. If you weren't part of the large, enthusiastic crowd on hand Saturday morning, here's a little of what you missed...

**Brady Quinn got the first snap with the first-team offense, but head coach Eric Mangini said the reps will be split evenly between Quinn and Derek Anderson until a starter is declared.

"We'll alternate depending on day and teaching progression," Mangini said. "They'll get an equal amount of reps and they'll be equally distributed through different segments -- red area, third down, two-minute. We'll track the reps daily, as we track all the reps daily."

**A couple rookie linebackers made an impression in an early one-on-one blitz drill against running backs. Kaluka Maiava got the better end of a big collision with Charles Ali, then blew past James Davis. David Veikune laid a big hit on Lawrence Vickers, but on Vickers' next rep he stepped up and knocked Beau Bell back. Veikune later beat Jamal Lewis with a swim move.

**On the first play of the inside run drill, Lewis drew a round of applause after finding traffic on a run to the right and making a nifty cut back to daylight on the left side. A few plays later, Ali got one back for the fullbacks when he delivered a punishing lead block on Veikune.

**Ryan Tucker said he did contemplate retirement following minicamp, but said he's now in a good frame of mind and anxious for his 13th NFL season. Tucker has battled injuries the last couple years but said he's worked hard to come back and being around his teammates has him ready for football. Tucker was clean shaven and wearing his hair short for the first time "since second grade," he joked.

**Steve Heiden, who's rehabbing from a December knee injury, practiced but wore a red "no contact" jersey. Robaire Smith, who suffered a torn Achilles tendon last September, practiced and said he's making progress, but he also said he's not full-go yet.

**Not that any lineup is even close to set on the first day, but the first offensive line looked like this, from left to right: Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Hank Fraley, Floyd Womack, John St. Clair. The second line, in the same listing order: Isaac Sowells, Rex Hadnot, Alex Mack, Tucker, George Foster.

**The first defensive line had Shaun Rogers at nose flanked by Kenyon Coleman and C.J. Mosley at the ends. On the second line, Robaire and Shaun Smith were at end with Ahtyba Rubin at nose.

**In a later one-on-one drill, Rogers welcomed Alex Mack to the NFL by pushing the rookie five or six yards back off the snap.

**In a 7-on-7 drill, Mike Adams intercepted a Derek Anderson pass. On Anderson's next throw, he threw a dart to the sideline to Syndric Steptoe after getting Brandon McDonald to bite on a pump fake.

**Phil Dawson kicked the session-ending field goal on extra-narrow goal posts at the northeast end of the practice fields, another thing new to the Browns. After practice, Mangini said he wasn't sure exactly how wide the small target was. Dawson said he liked the challenge: "Make the slightest little mistake, and you're going to miss."

LINK

DA looks better than anyone in the league when he actually makes those nice deep poised throws but its my understanding that DA missed some short and medium passes and had some miscues as well...im sorry i cant give the edge to the guy who hits a couple beautiful deepballs but messed some fundamental stuff up...hehehehe

I wasnt there and am going off of secondary info it will be interesting to here some of the board guys who were there...;)

Veikune is one guy I am especially watching in the preseason. Everyone knows by now that we desperately need some semblance of a pass rush so that Ryan can put his blitz packages where his mouth is.

If the Hawaiian Punch can emerge as that long-coveted rush linebacker, then it opens up a bunch of possibilities for Ryan to utilize the rest of the defense like he wants.

OBR did a report. Highlights:

- Both Robaire and Corey were full go and looked good.

- J-Lew looked thinner, quick, and healthy.

- James Davis really accelerates through a hole.

- Robiskie and Furrey both looked "smooth and quick" at the WRs.

- Quinn and Anderson were mostly good with some bad throws mixed in. The usual. Quinn was quick and decisive and in rhythm in the short to medium but Anderson had more nice downfield throws.

- Starting OL was Thomas, Steinbach, FRALEY, Womack, St. Clair. I assume Fraley is being shown respect.

Thanks for the CAMP REPORT!

As for BOTH QB's...I think they need a couple weeks to get going.

I think the consensus is that Anderson looked better this morning:

Aug 1st, 2009 @ 11:45 am by Steve Doerschuk

The loose Derek Anderson, as opposed to the uptight one whose 2008 went south, is back.

During pauses in practice, D.A. was kidding around, drawing laughs from teammates and fans (quite a crowd on hand).

During drills, his throws were on the money, with zip, every time we watched him let one go.

Anderson let out a sarcastic “obviously” when asked if he feels a better vibe at the start of camp than he did in the spring. Neither he nor Brady Quinn looked good in the spring.

Quinn had a steady morning practice.

Anderson had 2 TDs and a pick. Quinn had 0/0, kept it short but was sharp.

How exactly does this mean the "consensus" thinks Anderson did better? Because he threw 2 TDs? He also threw an interception (shocker). If Quinn's squad scores twice via the ground game he still has lead them to 14 points, without throwing a pick.

I'd have to see comp/att stats and total drives and % of scores on the drives to determine who is faring better. But, to me it's pointless to even compare until we have 1-2 weeks of camp finished.

And joking around during practice? He should, he's making $$$$ playing football and it's day 1 of practice. Of course, he was also observed smiling on the sidelines after he threw a pick to lose a game last year.

Archived