THE BROWNS BOARD

TRAINING CAMP

Guest ATENEARS

I think the consensus is that Anderson looked better this morning:

Aug 1st, 2009 @ 11:45 am by Steve Doerschuk

The loose Derek Anderson, as opposed to the uptight one whose 2008 went south, is back.

During pauses in practice, D.A. was kidding around, drawing laughs from teammates and fans (quite a crowd on hand).

During drills, his throws were on the money, with zip, every time we watched him let one go.

Anderson let out a sarcastic “obviously” when asked if he feels a better vibe at the start of camp than he did in the spring. Neither he nor Brady Quinn looked good in the spring.

Quinn had a steady morning practice.

Anderson had 2 TDs and a pick. Quinn had 0/0, kept it short but was sharp.

Thanks for the HONEST report. Even though you obviously prefer Quinn, I have to give you credit for reporting the facts. Good job.

After 2+ years of DA. We all know what DA can and can't do. We need to find out what Quinn can do over the same 20+ game span. Give the kid a chance finally.

Also, here's a good site that gives highlights by the hour.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/CLE

Looks like Quinn threw a "deep" TD later in the day. Imagine that, Quinn can throw a "deep" ball after all. (sarcasm of course)

Well, I don't really favor Quinn so to speak, but I am in favor of giving him a chance after 2+ years of DA. We all know what DA can and can't do. We need to find out what Quinn can do over the same 20+ game span. Give the kid a chance finally.

Looks like Quinn threw a "deep" TD later in the day. Imagine that, Quinn can throw a "deep" ball after all. (sarcasm of course)

I was actually referring to Shep. But since your a newbie. I'll let it slide.

you know, to be honest... I could care less if DA is good at the short passes.

When the offense clicked the last two years, he wasn't just managing the game, he was one of the guys that made it go. He was incredible.

I don't want a game manager. I want a star.

DA could be a star, its yet to be seen if he can be one consistently.

I have yet to see what Quinn can do. He may be able to be a star as well.

But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer.

DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today.

Quinn was consistent but nothing special.

I give it to DA for day 1.

When the offense clicked the last two years, he wasn't just managing the game, he was one of the guys that made it go. He was incredible.

But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer.

DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today.

Quinn was consistent but nothing special.

I give it to DA for day 1.

Well Quinn hit Leggett for a deep TD. So thats 1/0 for Quinn and 2/1 for DA

After 2+ years of DA. We all know what DA can and can't do. We need to find out what Quinn can do over the same 20+ game span. Give the kid a chance finally.

Same highlight page says Anderson looking sharp on short and medium range throws.

Guest Aloysius
Well Quinn hit Leggett for a deep TD. So thats 1/0 for Quinn and 2/1 for DA

Per Marla Ridenour, Quinn's TD throw to Leggett occurred during one on one drills. Steve Doerschuk says that Brandon McDonald picked BQ off twice during those drills (though only one, an underthrown deep ball, was his fault).

I think the consensus is that Anderson looked better this morning:

Aug 1st, 2009 @ 11:45 am by Steve Doerschuk

The loose Derek Anderson, as opposed to the uptight one whose 2008 went south, is back.

During pauses in practice, D.A. was kidding around, drawing laughs from teammates and fans (quite a crowd on hand).

During drills, his throws were on the money, with zip, every time we watched him let one go.

Anderson let out a sarcastic “obviously” when asked if he feels a better vibe at the start of camp than he did in the spring. Neither he nor Brady Quinn looked good in the spring.

Quinn had a steady morning practice.

Anderson had 2 TDs and a pick. Quinn had 0/0, kept it short but was sharp.

Brady, dispite reports did throw the ball downfield, and showed some very good arm strength. Seemed a little stronger then last year. And I saw the same shotput balls to the backs from Anderson. A couple of deep balls looked real pretty, but then again he didn't have anyone in his face and didn't have to look off a receiver or read a defense. He always looks great in the 7 on 7 drills.

It certainly wasn't the consensus, at best it was a draw. Quinn looked very smooth running the offense, DA looked like DA, enough said. This spin is amasing.

Guest ATENEARS

I wouldn't put much into the teams first training camp session. I agree with reports that they seemed to be more up-tempo than in the past and I was surprised to see them in full pads and making some contact already.

I've seen coaches have hard hitting camps and then be criticized for the injuries that followed, and I've seen camps with little hitting and the coach be blamed for the injuries that followed because they weren't prepared to be hit ... I favor a little combination of both.

With every pass that had zip on the ball, or floated, we tried to note who was QB'ing. As I reported, most action was on the far field, tucked in the corner where they hoard the media and VIP wine-n-cheese visitors, so match-ups, or who was taking more snaps with first-stringers was hard to note.

Anderson roped some pretty deep balls, but I also seen him grossly under-throw a receiver, who had to wait for it and it still fell short and incomplete. One concern I had with Brady Quinn was watching him take the snap and roll-out, have to roll deeper or longer than he might of wanted do to penetration from the defense, but then he seemed to just launch the ball in an almost hook-shot type motion. It was the kind of play you might see from a kid getting chased by his older brother and just launching the ball wildly before he became part of smear-the-queer. I should note, that the pass was completed at the sideline though, but still made me cringe. Anderson halted one play by spiking the ball at his linemens feet, which got a groan from the crowd.

As I reported earlier, I really thought the drill from the QB's, who were off working on their own was interesting and telling. They had the QB's themselves running pass patterns instead of just standing flat footed in line awaiting their turn at the helm. The drill had them involved, running the patterns they would be required to know. I would think that this was a great way to solidify the plays in these guys heads.

Ryan Tucker came into the autograph tent and seemed to be having trouble focusing. His eye's were blinking a lot and he rubbed them and at one pointed leaned over to Joe Thomas and made a comment about not being able to get focused. These guys were winded from just having finished camp. They sat there peeling off wads of tape from their wrists ... but to me, something wasn't right about Tucker. Could have been that he had just allowed sweat to roll into his eye's, but in my mind it appeared to be more of a medical condition. Good thing he don't play a position to have to see down field.

Harrison always looks good at these camps. He's one of those backs that zigs and zags, leaps and jumps, and after the defense holds up as there is no finished contact in the drill, Harrison (and many backs like him) turn the corner and sprint up the field as if he got a break-away. So be cautious when reading how great he looked ... his problem has been breaking those shoe-string tackles on normal plays that don't get him the ball in the open flat ... he's always a 'big man' when there is no tackling.

On some of the long pass completions ... let it be known, that the pass defense was non-existent, and lagging way behind. That should be the story, not the gay QB controversy that fuels the fans.

Per Marla Ridenour, Quinn's TD throw to Leggett occurred during one on one drills. Steve Doerschuk says that Brandon McDonald picked BQ off twice during those drills (though only one, an underthrown deep ball, was his fault).

Don't sleep on B-mac. I think too many here are trying to Bill Buckner him with his whiff in the final moments against Denver (when it was clearly Jones fault that the mistake turned into a TD - in the film you can see McDonald motioning for help over the top before the ball was snapped).

He's a solid CB. That will show when Elam hits the field.

He was the worst ranked offensive player on the team in '07 and the worst ranked QB in the NFL in '08. How so?

Mangini seems to have more of a game manager style to me. I'm not sure he wants a swing for the fences approach.

He has been given his chance.

He has yet to be given his chance.

But I'd rather a gunslinger, a gambler, than another Trent Dilfer. DA threw two TD's and 1 INT today. Quinn was consistent but nothing special.

I see the attraction of a big arm at QB. It's amazing the way DA can throw deep. However, I get the feeling Mangini is not the type to be wowed by it. He seems to be the type of coach who wants game management, no mistakes, ball control, and safe/high percentage passes. All of this favors Quinn.

We're all starting to buy into Mangini's QB competition line. I do believe he wants to see what both can do, but I still think Quinn can only lose this thing is he stinks up the place. A draw favors Quinn.

I'd just like to ask PLEASE let's not get into the tired old QB debates here. We can do those in another thread. The info being given by those that were actually at the practices is incredible. Thanks guys! if you want to debate what happened in 2007 and 2008 take it to another thread.

Brady rules DA drools.

I really wish i could go to camp...570 or so miles is a little far to drive for a practice.

Any pics and reports is what I count on...thanks in advance.

I hear ya Ballpeen! I used to enjoy making the 4 hour trip from Rochester, NY almost every year. Now that trip is 8 hours from Nashville so I'll greatly appreciate any pictures or reports. There's been a lot of good info shared in this thread. I'm just wondering how long after that picture was taken of Skippy and Riff that they had to take the "all you can drink" signs down in that HOT Upper Deck.

- Tom F.

Atenears & Rifferx, hook-up for the Browns Training Camp Party at the Upper Deck

Ate%20n%20Rif.jpg

Yikes...that's a disturbing picture...a little too close as well. Impressive that Riffer has two beers in front of him or is it that he is just slow and couldn't keep up with Skippy's power drinking?

Skippy....had any "dolly" issues lately?

Yikes...that's a disturbing picture...a little too close as well. Impressive that Riffer has two beers in front of him or is it that he is just slow and couldn't keep up with Skippy's power drinking?

Skippy....had any "dolly" issues lately?

Looks like Tony Soprano and Silvio Dante!

Thanks SoCalDog, this is just the MOST AWESOME link EVER!!

For Immediate Release

August 4, 2009

BROWNS ANNOUNCE FAMILY DAY ON AUGUST 9

AT&T presents Family Day at Cleveland Browns Stadium on Sunday, August 9 at 1:00 p.m. The team will break away from their daily training camp practice schedule in Berea to take the field at the stadium for the first time in 2009. Family Day, which is a free, non-ticketed event, includes the "Brown and White Scrimmage."

The fun starts at 10:30 a.m. on Tailgate Terrace and Alfred Lerner Way where Browns fans of all ages can enjoy music and inflatables. Gates to the stadium open at 11 a.m., with the scrimmage set to kick off at 1:00 p.m. The first 25,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a free commemorative roster card.

Proceeds from Family Day benefit the Cleveland Browns Foundation.

Family Day is presented by AT&T, in association with Cleveland Clinic, cleveland.com, Huntington and Smucker’s.

Any of you Peaches going to camp this afternoon?

I'm heading after work from Solon to Berea and meeting Satn inside the facilities. I'll try to take some pics if I can figure out how on my cell.

Archived