THE BROWNS BOARD

Surprised by Anderson

dawgpound3

I ain't Lums, and I do want Quinn win the job. If Anderson outshines Quinn in the training camps, by all means, he should get the job. You know, he actually earned it unlike last year.

Worth reminding people: DA had the better camp last year. However, controlled variables such as a red jersey which means "don't touch the QB" and "let him throw it knuckleheads" meaning there were serious consequences if those rules were broken. End result? You have DA playing with unaltered confidence, mechanics and poise.

Now for the reality. In week 1, Demarcus Ware wasn't playing by our training camp rules and DA's mechanics, poise, confidence and accuracy were an absolute mess.

I realize you can't risk injuring your QBs with contact in training camp; BUT I'd like to see a play end with 2 hand touch and defenders obstructing passes when the protection ain't there. That would make it more of an accurate depiction of who can improvise better at the speed of the game when protection breaks down. Otherwise we have the fictional DA in training camp and non-fiction DA on game day. Hey, it makes Loverboy spray.

- Tom F.

Worth reminding people: DA had the better camp last year. However, controlled variables such as a red jersey which means "don't touch the QB" and "let him throw it knuckleheads" meaning there were serious consequences if those rules were broken. End result? You have DA playing with unaltered confidence, mechanics and poise.

- Tom F.

That sword cuts both ways. Pretty-boy check-down, will also play "with unaltered confidence, mechanics and poise". Man, I don't give a sh!t who wins the starting job, as long as the team wins....................DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find it quite amusing that people on the board are "DEAD SET" in what each QB's shortcomings are act like those problems are etched in stone or something.. for the most part...with DA it's the short touch passes and with Quinn it's pushing the deep ball... What everyone fails to realize.. Shortcomings can be overcome. These guys are professionals, they are young, and they have coaches working on the their weaknesses with them. Learning a touch pass is not the hardest thing in the world for a pro QB, Getting comfortable pushing the ball upfield is not tough to master either.. Lets judge this based upon THIS year. past is past. I mean rich gannon was a backup for the first half of his career and pretty much sucked when he got in the game.. he worked hard improved his game and ended up being a darn good QB.. Let's just hope it does not take half a career for these two and maybe we can make this a position of strength on the team ..along with Ratliffe who I like a lot from the little I have seen of him.

My money is with Quinn, but it DA wins.. cool by me.. Just win.

I find it quite amusing that people on the board are "DEAD SET" in what each QB's shortcomings are act like those problems are etched in stone or something.. for the most part...with DA it's the short touch passes and with Quinn it's pushing the deep ball... What everyone fails to realize.. Shortcomings can be overcome. These guys are professionals, they are young, and they have coaches working on the their weaknesses with them. Learning a touch pass is not the hardest thing in the world for a pro QB, Getting comfortable pushing the ball upfield is not tough to master either.. Lets judge this based upon THIS year. past is past. I mean rich gannon was a backup for the first half of his career and pretty much sucked when he got in the game.. he worked hard improved his game and ended up being a darn good QB.. Let's just hope it does not take half a career for these two and maybe we can make this a position of strength on the team ..along with Ratliffe who I like a lot from the little I have seen of him.

GO DA!!

It can only make us better, not worse

That sword cuts both ways. Pretty-boy check-down, will also play "with unaltered confidence, mechanics and poise". Man, I don't give a sh!t who wins the starting job, as long as the team wins....................DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY do you suppose we're in this conversation? The team ain't winning with Dumb Ass.

Trust me, I'd love to be able to think DA had the same brainpower as his most devoted fans. Then, I'd actually be able to call him Smart Ass.

- Tom F. (I can't wait to use our starting QB and the word smart in the same sentence. Baby steps!)

I really am not suprized at DA doing what DA does well im kinda suprized at the amount of over response by the media to his play however...

DA's arm strenth and poise at release are a beautiful thing but when the heat is on he unravals however he hasnt reached his full potential yet and im sure the staff is working with him to correct his error filled ways...he will give BQ a run for the money but in the end DA will mentally collapse under pressure on the field in the preseason and ultimately lose the competition....;)

I really like what I am hearing from both of these QB's, and how they're handling the competition:

Beginning his fifth pro season and 13-14 as a starter, Anderson could feel a sense of deja vu. He lost out in a training camp competition with Charlie Frye in 2007, only to see Frye traded after a disastrous opener. Anderson went 10-5 as the team fell one game short of the playoffs.

But Anderson isn't agonizing over every snap this time.

''It's camp. I'm glad to be back, and it's great to see the guys,'' he said. ''As far as everything else goes, it's going to play out how it's going to play out. I don't want to come here every day and talk, 'Is it this? Is it that?' I threw a pick today, big deal. Robert [Royal] and I had a miscommunication. I don't want to deal with it like that. I want to play. I want to have fun. I want to watch this team progress and whoever plays best is going to play.

''My role is going to be determined and I'll embrace whatever it is.''

''There is always competition, whether teams want to admit it or not,'' Quinn said. ''A quarterback has a couple bad games, all of a sudden in the middle of the season a guy is going in. If everyone just focuses on themselves and just tries to be the best they can, things are going to take care of themselves.''

Now for the reality. In week 1, Demarcus Ware wasn't playing by our training camp rules and DA's mechanics, poise, confidence and accuracy were an absolute mess.

- Tom F.

Tom, relax. i have a feeling that Coach Mangini has his best men working on this.

Good post EJ....just remember, most fans don't know much and are usually wrong more often than not.

I had dinner with Tommy Lasorda maybe 10 years back. He told me this....

There are 3 things all American men feel they can do better than any other other man...

1. Make love to a woman.

2. Build a campfire.

3. Manage a baseball team.

You can apply that to football and it would be the same.

Good post EJ....just remember, most fans don't know much and are usually wrong more often than not.

I had dinner with Tommy Lasorda maybe 10 years back. He told me this....

There are 3 things all American men feel they can do better than any other other man...

1. Make love to a woman.

2. Build a campfire.

3. Manage a baseball team.

You can apply that to football and it would be the same.

No disrespect Been, but Tommy Lasorda was not an expert on making love to women, building a campfire or Football. Baseball at one time, yes. Also the diet drink "Slim Fast".

No disrespect Been, but Tommy Lasorda was not an expert on making love to women, building a campfire or Football. Baseball at one time, yes. Also the diet drink "Slim Fast".

No disrespect to you DHF, but Peen didn't say Lasorda was any of those things.

Hearing about the report that Anderson had a great day at training camp makes me happy for him. I hope he pushes Quinn to the limit and could win the starting job.

Sorry folks, I don't care how nice the short term fairy tale is right now. The DA story has yet to reach "and they lived happily ever after" - it keeps getting intercepted by reality. I'll find it extremely difficult to get excited about the upcoming season if Dumb Ass starts again. Just being honest.

Once we face the AFC teams that are able to win more than 8 games, he's WINLESS in 3 different seasons of starting games. You can research that all you want and you're not gonna find him GOOD with adversity. And why? There's no poise, confidence or accuracy like you see with a red jersey on him. If you don't understand the difference - you never played. It's not an insult, it's an understanding of the difference of controlled variables vrs game day reality. When KW is saying Quinn deserves to start and Braylon Edwards prefers Quinn - they caught more passes from DA than anyone. I'm gonna have to trust them over the brass that got their walking papers declaring DA their starter. What's next? RAC got screwed?

DA started off BETTER than he finished every single year which isn't a good sign either. The great ones ones don't regress 3 years in a row. He's like that baseball pitcher with only a couple pitches. Early on, he's got the hot hand UNTIL the scouting reports replicate and people adjust. Then he's right back to the same old "uh-oh!" There's no solution to the adjustments. THAT is the DA I've seen for too many parts of 3 years.

No thanks! Been there - done that. If we were IMPROVING - the consensus would be firmly behind DA.

- Tom F.

Archived