THE BROWNS BOARD

QB's: Where does prior NFL film factor in?

Greythan

Weren't you the guy who said teams had film on DA and figured him after his SECOND NFL start? It might have been Flugel. Somebody here kept singing that song all summer long in '07, then shut up for about 4-5 games once the season started.

Gee, here's a surprise - one of Dumb Ass' biggest fans calls himself Drunkandstoopid. Are ya sure?????

Let's just say all 31 other teams told me I was right with these 2 words at DA's availability this offseason: "No Thanks!"

My buddy Rip Van Winkle took 1 look at DA back in 2006 and said "Flugel, wake me up when this goofball wins his first start against an AFC team that wins more than 8 games in a season."

Needless to say, it's 2009 and he's still sleeping.

- Tom F.

My first time this season starting a QB thread, so move along if you aren't interested.

My question relates to the competition and how/where film study of the two QB's comes into play. Obviously, there is more film on DA than Quinn at this point.

The reason I ask is because I witnessed DA's practice with my own eyes last year in Berea. The guy flat out looks like a world beater. Its hard to imagine the guy you see in Berea doing some of the things we've seen in the few years in live games. Doesn't seem to be the same guy.

So, where does this factor into the competition? Mangini's supposed to have said both guys are "even". So, he's simply going to see how the two practice and play in a handful of meaningless preseason games to pick a starter?

I must not understand what can be gleaned from practices.

Hi, just registered a few minutes ago with a question on Ratliff, if he's even playing.

Mangini is like the CIA. He'll give no information at all, speak in generalities, be flatly positive about everyone he actually does talk about, but his favorites are obvious (i.e. Elam).

Despite what Mangini says, he's going to look at past games and it's going to influence his opinion on the starter, regardless of what he says, unless on QB is crushing the other in the preseason, and, of course, unless he has no control of what happens on the team (front office control). I don't know what it's like in Cleveland.

Yeah I'm more in line with NFL talent evaluators/coaching staffs.

You and Flugs base your evaluations on whether you can daydream about if a guy reminds you of Kosar or not.

I'll give you credit for being in line with Romeo Crennel. That's quite an accomplishment seeing how he walked the plank with Derek Anderson.

Trouble is you and your Oregon State buddies all seem to discount 31 NFL Evaluators didn't consider DA as starting material. If that's not enough, we COULD compare what rounds Anderson and Quinn were drafted AND projected to be drafted in by all these NFL Evaluators you claim to be on the same page with.

I'll embrace the next Brian Sipe story as soon as I see it. I wasn't the BIGGEST Quinn fan BEFORE the draft; and anyone that was here back then knows this. That said, the very SECOND we drafted him - he represented HOPE we currently lacked. Then it was kind of nice to see ND in national elite with him and off the map without him. Weis says he's smart, works hard and displays outstanding leadership. Meanwhile I saw 3 different receivers on the Browns screaming at DA on the sidelines to shed some light on what kind of leader he is. If Winslow and Edwards are saying Quinn should start, they prolly know more about each QB than any of us or any columnist for that matter.

It's NOT that I'm the biggest Quinn fan in the world, I just know how the story ends each and every time with DA. If he's all we got, that drains my excitement for the season considerably. I'm a BROWNS fan and you're a hometown hero fan. One of us wants what is right for the TEAM while the other wants what is right for his hometown in the Pacific Northwest.

Sticking with the name of this subject heading: Training camp with a red "hands off" jersey on the QBs does not prove who the starting QB should be. Wins and losses do that. We've sacrificed enough seasons on the wrong QBs. DA was 0-3 in 06 and 3-6 in 08. Same guy? You bet! I heard all about how wonderful DA was in training camp last year. That meant what in week 1?

- Tom F.

Archived