THE BROWNS BOARD

Thunder

OconRecon

It's good to hear James Davis news is positive. Check out the vid in the link below. He seems to be sponging off of Jamal, always around him. Also check out the cut he makes at the 1:20 mark and the howl of the other players. It get the juices flowing.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ing_camp_6.html

(by the way mods, anyway to embed the Cleveland.com vids?)

It's good to hear James Davis news is positive. Check out the vid in the link below. He seems to be sponging off of Jamal, always around him. Also check out the cut he makes at the 1:20 mark and the howl of the other players. It get the juices flowing.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ing_camp_6.html

(by the way mods, anyway to embed the Cleveland.com vids?)

I was at camp last night and I want to slow the excitement for Davis a little bit. Yes, he's running pretty well, but I watched closely as they were running some drills for the Backs and TEs to pick up blitzers, and James Davis STRUGGLED to say the least. On one in particular, Veikune made him look silly.

So I wouldn't expect to see a lot of action out of him on any passing downs, that's for sure. In contract, Harrison seemed to do much better at picking up blitzers.

Mangini ... can't hide his feelings about James Davis...

I would agree after watching the pressor live yesterday. The most emotion, however minimal, I've seen out of that dude. James seems like a coach's player. Upbeat, positive, and hard working.

I agree we shouldn't put him up too high yet, but it is fun.

Guest Aloysius

Per Doerschuk:

Running back James Davis says Mangini gave every player a specific weight to strive for. Davis thinks he might play at 215 to 218 pounds eventually, but Mangini wants him at 210 for now. And that’s where he is.

The good part on the blockings is that is a skill that can be taught. I am not sure how much blocking he has ever been asked to do up to this point.

As long as the attitude is willing, there is no reason he can't at least slow someone down or make the run around.

I like the guys weight.....as he said, it probably wouldn't hurt to see another 5 or so lbs..the guy isn't a 230 lb back...most of those guys are big and usually have to work to keep their weight down...10 years from now you see them in the sports booth and they weight 260.

Davis is big enough he won't just fall over from a push and can lower the pads and drive most people...and he has the quicks...something we haven't had in a back in a while...we seem to have fallen in love with the slow lumberers the last 10 years.

Davis = Joseph Addai....if I had to give a comparative back....and that isn't a bad thing.

Is that his nickname now? James "Thunder" Davis?

He was Thunder at Clemson.

Although with Jamal around, its pretty hard to refer to a 210 RB as Thunder.

After the cut in the vid, he looks more like a "Skeeter" to me.

Hell, I'm fine to just call him James.

He was Thunder at Clemson.

Although with Jamal around, its pretty hard to refer to a 210 RB as Thunder.

After the cut in the vid, he looks more like a "Skeeter" to me.

Hell, I'm fine to just call him James.

Now I am in a good predicament as a Steeler and Clemson fan.

I'm not surprised about James Davis' ability and knew the Browns got a steal taking him where they did. The reason he was "Thunder" down here was because he had to share carries with a much faster back: CJ "lightning" Spiller. Davis should be a very good back for you guys for a good while.

This is going to take away some antipathy I hold for the Browns. James Davis has always been a hard working, clean guy who came from less than ideal circumstances in Atlanta. He is not afraid to take a hit, sees a hole and is not one to dance around.

"Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?"

"I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come."

(One of the few, maybe the only, sports movie that makes me well-up at the end.)

Mods, I'm reporting myself for highjacking a thread, but it was well intended.

Archived