THE BROWNS BOARD

Who do you think has the edge in the QB competition?

dawgpound3

Who has the edge right now?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. QB competition

• Derek Anderson
    • Brady Quinn

To be honest...I think I do. I haven't seen a single report of any incompletions or interceptions that I have thrown. I also have not had to run a single lap around the field. No reports of the coaches yelling at me...or complaints that I am not in town to work with the rookies....

Hell, I'm a shoe-in.

The good thing is that it doesn't matter who the sports writers think has the edge, it's what the coaches think.

and thank god for that..............................................some of those guys don't have a clue.

I think Anderson has been better so far. I think Quinn will start the opener. Asking me to make sense of that opens a lot of old cans of worms.

But I'll say this: The Browns and the Browns fans want to know what they really have in Brady Quinn... and they won't be satisfied by camp reports. Especially after last year's Denver game. They want to see what he does as the Browns starting quarterback, at least for 4 or 5 games, probably more.

If he just isn't very good, Anderson will be reinstalled and his contract extended.

His contract extended?

Have you been out in the sun for too long today?

Or having drinks for lunch w/RAC.

Actually i have it pretty even but the coaches are looking at intercepts/batdowns/consistency/reaction under pressure/huddle command and so on and being BQ likely had a slight edge with helping out and being a workaholic i would say BQ has a very very slight lead in the mind of the staff but DAs arm is always looming high in their thoughts.....;)

EDIT:

After todays report DA may have a very very slight edge however it doesnt matter until august 15th live play is what will seperate the boyz from the men and the dumb from the smart....hehehehehe ;)

Actually it makes sense...IF QUINN fails (not that I or Shep are saying he will) but if he does. Then you are essentially down to Anderson and/or looking for your next qb in the draft. If you draft another rookie. you want an experienced vet there. Anderson can be that vet. However, you'll need to extend his contract and give him a little money up front so that his cap number is less.

Talk about testing the patience of a city. An DA like a good boy is gonna swallow that?

I think Anderson has been better so far. I think Quinn will start the opener. Asking me to make sense of that opens a lot of old cans of worms.

But I'll say this: The Browns and the Browns fans want to know what they really have in Brady Quinn... and they won't be satisfied by camp reports. Especially after last year's Denver game. They want to see what he does as the Browns starting quarterback, at least for 4 or 5 games, probably more.

If he just isn't very good, Anderson will be reinstalled and his contract extended.

You've been talking QBs for 3 days without even a peek inside just reading reports from guys trying to sell papers and get their story out on the AP wires. And, you think Anderson has been better so far....................amasing

People made a big deal out of Quinn's long pass yeaterday but did you know he was running the 2's against most of the 1's. I think for you to say you think Anderson has been better so far is funny as hell. Because I have to ask; What have you seen in the prqactices that makes you say anderson has played better?

You read he completed 4 straight........................do you know what defense he was throwing those against? You read that Quinn's two minute drive stalled on the 35. Do you know that he was running the two's against the one's? Right before that Anderson's two minute stalled on the 47 and he was running the one's against the two's.

Taking things in the proper context and looking at the overall picture is needed to say who is ahead at this point. The guy with the better huddle presence and better command of the scheme should be the guy ahead. Who do you think that is? Actually, you haven't got a clue because that isn't being reported. The only thing you hear is that one or the other threw an int. or missed an open guy and you don't even know if it was the receiver or QBs fault. I read one report that said Quinn underthrew a guy on a go route. Actually the defense had over the top help and Quinn threw it to his back shoulder, the only place it could be caught or it would have been a pick. But some jack off reporter says he under threw the guy. To be fair, I also read that Anderson got one knocked down at the line. I clown didn't say he was playing behind the #2 line and the guy got pushed back in his face.

My point is reports can make guys seem like they are screwing up when they are doing the right thing. So, to say Anderson is ahead by what you read doesn't wash. Especially after 3 days, knowbody moves ahead or behind in 3 days unless they forgot the plays. It's a process and I hope the staff is a lot more objective then what we are getting from the writers.

Bottom line is: Huddle Presence, command of the offense and ability to win. It's not about who throws the prettiest pass down field during practice. It's can you put points on the board and not turn the ball over.

Since I have not seen a single practice.. I'll say Ratliff.. no way to tell based upon what "other" peoples eyes see and what other peoples opinions are as to what is a good or bad throw...

Have any of you guys seen a live practice??? Your the only one's who could possibly have a real opinion on this..

Am I the only one that thinks Quinn deserves the same chance Eli Manning got?

Eli got 3 full seasons to prove he was NFL material, I think Quinn should get that same chance. Why does Quinn get that opportunity and not DA you ask (DA has had 2 seasons)? He was a first round draft pick thats why. There is a reason he was a first round selection and why DA was not. Quinn, if given the playing time in actual NFL games, will become a great NFL QB, it sure as hell took Eli a while. Also, you have to remember we play in the hardest division in football, where 2 teams went deep into the playoffs last year, with the Bengals getting some young and fresh talent and getting better. We have a long hard road ahead of us, but we need to pick a guy and stick with him through multiple seasons whether he sucks or not. If its DA, fine, I hope not, but fine. If its Quinn, and it should be, then 2 years of winning, loosing, throwing picks, and throwing touchdowns is spent on an investment of progression. Look at Trent Edwards, he isnt the best QB out there, but the Bills have chosen him, and stuck to him and we need to do the same, the one thing that makes our team shitty is the revolving door at QB.

Pick one and stick to it for more than 2 seasons please!!! Even if they arent that good! That way they can be well seasoned in the offense, develop a second nature chemistry with the recievers and come out and really perform in their 3rd year starting! I wanted Frye to start the other year, I was pissed that they pulled him out and traded him, who knows? He could have been the one to light up the Bengals the following week. Its about opportunity folks.

Since I have not seen a single practice.. I'll say Ratliff.. no way to tell based upon what "other" peoples eyes see and what other peoples opinions are as to what is a good or bad throw...

Have any of you guys seen a live practice??? Your the only one's who could possibly have a real opinion on this..

I went to the second session of the second day of practice and Anderson did seem to look sharper. The touch on his short and mid-range pass does look to have improved. Quinn looked like he was trying a bit too hard. I remember one instance where DA completed a nice pass to Robiskie, and then it seemed Quinn almost tried to one up him by going deep but completely overthrew Cribbs. But it was also the second day of camp, so it would be silly to read too much into it. I will say that I got a vibe at that practice that I never got from RAC practices. It felt like there were people there who actually knew what they were doing, so I completely trust Mangini to make the right choice in the end.

As a side note, the loud music being played at camp makes for a really awesome atmosphere. Watching the guys practice to some of the heavier songs was reminiscent of a montage in a sports movie where the team transitions from complete shit into a group of bad ass mofos.

Im sorry but I just cant believe it until I see it. Some people are just gamers, when the clock starts ticking thats when they really kick it into gear, the adrenalin starts pumping, your opponents is in your face, and you have a real objective. This is what seperates a starter to a bench warmer. Its like... what if player A throws 10 interceptions in practice and 1 TD, and player B throws 1 interception in practice and 10 TD's...... Yet player A throws 4 TD's in the game with 0 picks and player B throws 3 picks and 1 int. in the game.

If player A never gets a chance to start, nobody would ever know that incredible ability, and you cant tell me that any of this is hogwash, it may be slightly exhaggerated but its true, some players dont practice well, but when game time comes, they rise to the occasion, wherase the same is true for the opposite

I dont know Shep, I think he needs more than a stretch, Im keeping Eli Manning as my reference and example, Trent Edwards, Marc Bulger, all guys who have ben good but not great, not taking their teams to the playoffs, but not sucking. Theyre just waiting for things to click, waiting for that breakout season.

My philosophy is that there is no better practice than an actual game. Want to beat the Steelers? Let a QB play their D at least 4-5 times. Patience is a virtue, we keep looking for the quick fix, the Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, sorry to say guys, but those two were the exception, not the rule. Whatever happened to sitting the QB the first year, let him have 1-2 sucky years, and THEN expect results? Weve been spoiled in this league lately by alot of guys stepping up to the plate right away and achieving success like Brady, Ryan, Flacco, Rogers. Whatever happened to learn from your mistakes? Whatever happened to progression and development? Everyone is in a WIN NOW mindset, we need to chill and give guys their time, like Phillip Rivers and Eli Manning

DA doesn't have the mentallity of the QB Lerner/Mangini want. He also doesn't have the mechanics, which leads to errant throws. I don't see much of a future for him here. I am surprised about the lack of interest for him last spring however, considering many times like to deploy a gunslinger type of QB, but the best the Browns could get for him is a 2nd day pick.

Quinn has the attitude and mechanics for the type of throws for this varient of offense, but he lacks physical ability. He could be a decent stopgap to somebody else emerges while the Browns rebuild, but I don't see Quinn winning a Lombardi for Cleveland, much less multiple Lombardi's like Brady/Roeth.......

I think Ratliff is the shadow in the mist. He is a physically gifted QB. What we don't know about him is whether he is a gunslinger type like DA or has more all around abilities to throw in. Considering Mangini threw him in the Sanchez trade, he may have more a pull than the other 2 than we will believe, though he probably won't start right away, but time is moving on.

I wouldn't use camp to much when evaluating these guys. It is way to vanilla and sparce. Not all players get into seasonal groove as fast as others. It is about getting ready for the season.

I think Mini-camp was a better tool for picking a starter and that starter has already been picked.

I still cant believe people are calling Quinn a stop gap when he has played 1 fully healthy game in the NFL (his first one btw with only 2 days of practice), and in that game posted a 104 QB rating

You are all nuts

Not physically gifted? WHAT?!?!? Do I really need to bump up my Quinn arm strength myth thread once AGAIN?

Archived