THE BROWNS BOARD

DA Is Not The Problem

beyster

Guest Masters
#1: I saw it live, but post the clip of him falling as he dropped the ball.

#1a: Who's WPD? Just another poster or someone on the Browns coaching staff? lol

#2: Thought I already spoke of Steptoe. He only played like a man in ONE GAME and the season's halfway done.

#3: Seattle sucks. Nuff said.

St. Louis is JUST getting their game on now that they changed coaches. And he's hurt (Dallas game).

Lynch, teams stack the line and dare Edwards to beat them with the pass. hard to run against a 9 man line.

Brown splits time with Williams.

Westbrook was hurt and out for 2 games, and is still playing hurt.

James is on the bench, Hightower is playing the majority of the time.

(my football senses are tingling)

That sideline thing happened once, because DA is loyal to this shitty coaching staff for some reason.

Marty is still a proven winner and could outcoach 95% of the NFL coaches out there. Never saw him with clock management problems or teams playing sloppy all year. Only three coaches active are doing better or are on his level. Bill B. Dungy and Fisher.

#1: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2 ... &week=REG9

#1A: A poster on here who took the time and effort in another thread to break it down and do all the math, including QBR.

#2: Can't make plays when you never get the ball thrown your way.

#3: All of which have played in the same number of games, or less 1 game (and equal #s of carries). And if your gonna make excuses for any of those guys, then I might as well throw in the injuries on CLE OLine for excuse for Jamal. By the way, this week was the first week James got sat.

The sideline thing once, the indecision on the 2 minute drill has been every drill.

Oh, and Marty has had clock management issues. But every coach has gaffs (not that I think RAC isn't a knuckle head more times than not). Did you see BB of NE this past week?

But keep it coming Stan.

Qb rating does not tell the entire story all stats can be spinned to make them look in favor of your argument

Jamal Lewis, 24th in the league in 1st downs made

2 rushes over 20 yards

3.6 ypc average, 18.5 carries per game, averaging 66.6 yards per game

Do you think maybe a better rushing attack would have helped D.A.

D.A. threw to Edwards and Winslow 70% of the time because Cribbs and Steptoe don't get open, we have nothing behind Edwards and Stallworth when he plays at the wide receiver position

Everyone points to the Giant game and say if we can beat the Giants like that, why can't we do that every game, maybe because we had 2 weeks to prepare for that game and we had a running game.

How many times have Lewis moved the chains when we really needed a 1st down in the Cowboys, Steelers, Redskins or Raven games?

Whats happened to the offensive line that many posters/fans were calling top 5 in the league? This offensive line is not playing anything close to how they played last year.

But nobody wants to discuss these issues and just say D.A. is the problem

IMO the problems in no particular order, Chud, RAC, Lewis, Offensive line, Andersen, no number 2 receiver

No, we KNEW Charlie Frye couldn't play.

This is funny. Might be true. But its funny.

Because DA>Charlies fries. who will say different?

Charlie fries is good enough that he got dumped by the browns and ended up starting for the seahawks who are normally better than the browns.

OR if you look at this way there are few NFL teams with less chance of permanent success than the Browns. DA will be traded to a team that Probably is better than the browns.

Only then will the book be closed on his capabilities. Feel free to disagree.

Guest Masters
Qb rating does not tell the entire story all stats can be spinned to make them look in favor of your argument

Jamal Lewis, 24th in the league in 1st downs made

2 rushes over 20 yards

3.6 ypc average, 18.5 carries per game, averaging 66.6 yards per game

Do you think maybe a better rushing attack would have helped D.A.

D.A. threw to Edwards and Winslow 70% of the time because Cribbs and Steptoe don't get open, we have nothing behind Edwards and Stallworth when he plays at the wide receiver position

Everyone points to the Giant game and say if we can beat the Giants like that, why can't we do that every game, maybe because we had 2 weeks to prepare for that game and we had a running game.

How many times have Lewis moved the chains when we really needed a 1st down in the Cowboys, Steelers, Redskins or Raven games?

Whats happened to the offensive line that many posters/fans were calling top 5 in the league? This offensive line is not playing anything close to how they played last year.

But nobody wants to discuss these issues and just say D.A. is the problem

IMO the problems in no particular order, Chud, RAC, Lewis, Offensive line, Andersen, no number 2 receiver

Actually, WPD already blew this one up (I think in the Lewis thread). Lewis isn't getting the carries on downs often where there is the opportunity to run for a 1st on 2nd and 3d down. In the last game in the second half, he had 3 chances and was 1 for 3.

It's getting to the point where we are gonna have to dig up old threads from the offseason where people were saying DA was why Lewis had success last year. But now with lesser success, its only Lewis's fault.

And Steptoe and Cribbs have had times where they were open and DA forced it to Winslow or Edwards. One example I can think of right off the top of my head was the first BALT game when DA forced it to Winslow with double coverage, plus Ray Lewis watching (you know where he laid out Winslow and it resulted in a pick). Watch that play, there is a WR coming wide open across the middle. But DA never took his eyes of Winslow.

I really think people need to go back and read the scouting reports on DA in HS and college again. Because this stuff is all right there.

Guest Masters

No, we KNEW Charlie Frye couldn't play.

This is funny. Might be true. But its funny.

Because DA>Charlies fries. who will say different?

Charlie fries is good enough that he got dumped by the browns and ended up starting for the seahawks who are normally better than the browns.

OR if you look at this way there are few NFL teams with less chance of permanent success than the Browns. DA will be traded to a team that Probably is better than the browns.

Only then will the book be closed on his capabilities. Feel free to disagree.

Frye, like DA, got his 20+ starts to try and prove himself as a starter. DA, like Frye, has proven that he has not progressed passed who he was from day 1.

I expect the common thread between both is to be that neither will be with the Browns, and both relegated to bench duty for some other team.

And what does it say when (from Phil Savages own mouth) Frye was the only one at he time that could even garner a draft pick in a trade. So that beter team, SEA, saw more in Frye than DA.

Guest Masters
ONB, would you please remove your post and write one that makes some modicum of sense?

I was going to reply that Charlie Frye sucked, sucks, and will always suck... that he went from being a Browns starter to a Seahawks third stringer behind a 5'10" punt returner... but then I realized you weren't really saying anything about anything.

So never mind.

Do the ORE trail ever saying anything about anything?

Guest Masters
Just read a tidbit that personnel types around the league say you know what you get when you face DA: Big arm, not a lot of confidence, not a quick or good decision maker... and worst of all... leaves more plays on the field than any quarterback in the league.

Plays into what Masters said and we've all watched: He locks in on one guy and we Tivo users get to point out Kellen Winslow waving his arms (again) or Syndric Steptoe flashing open across the middle.

Exactly Shep.

Since you enjoyed my earlier quotes from Jason, here is a snipit from last DEC after the PIT game, which he just reposted at the begining of OCT this year, because it rang true almost a year later.

"Derrick Anderson has a lot of things going for him. He's big. He's got a fantastic arm. And he's got a bit of that "Aw, Shucks" thing going for him right now. The problem is, he's always had those things. He hasn't added a thing to his arsenal since the 11th grade.

The downgrades on his scouting report coming out of high school were the same as the ones on his scouting reports coming out of college. If you go back and read some of these things, you'll see the same stuff over and over. And, based on what I see, none of it has changed. It still sounds like any of it could've been written yesterday.

"His decision-making is suspect." "He has a tendency to be very deliberate with his delivery." "Gets an unusual number of passes batted down at the line for a guy his size." "Tends to try to 'rocket arm balls' into tight spaces." "Makes ill-advised throws." "Has difficulty making accurate throws in close quarters." "Over-powers balls on short throws." "Lacks mobility." "Can get flustered." "Tends to sail intermediate throws."

And those didn't even point out the fact that his arm amps up when the pressure sets in. That's tough to itemize on a scouting report.

Basically, the guy's a 6'6" Jugs machine. Sure he can throw the ball 70 yards. And as long as he can set up and throw from 6 yards deep on the midline, you've got no problems. But, Pittsburgh figured it out by halftime. Lay off the blitz. Play 3 down 8 back, or 4 down 7 back, and cover until the pass rush can move him. You're either going to bait him into a bad throw, knock it down at the line, get to him in the pocket... or at worst, make him make a great throw to beat you.

And it worked. The second half of the game, you saw Anderson trying to thread balls into tight spaces downfield, and gradually becoming less and less accurate hitting his check-downs... although he'd been missing those since early in the game.

So, what I'm saying is, if this team goes 9-7 or 10-6 and squeaks into the playoffs, that's great. But, I won't be at all surprised or offended if the front office immediately packages this guy and ships him off to Atlanta or Minnesota.

What you've got here is a guy who's performing about as well as he can. And, a guy who's never shown a real penchant for improvement."

Since you enjoyed my earlier quotes from Jason, here is a snipit from last DEC after the PIT game, which he just reposted at the begining of OCT this year, because it rang true almost a year later.

"Derrick Anderson has a lot of things going for him. He's big. He's got a fantastic arm. And he's got a bit of that "Aw, Shucks" thing going for him right now. The problem is, he's always had those things. He hasn't added a thing to his arsenal since the 11th grade.

The downgrades on his scouting report coming out of high school were the same as the ones on his scouting reports coming out of college. If you go back and read some of these things, you'll see the same stuff over and over. And, based on what I see, none of it has changed. It still sounds like any of it could've been written yesterday.

"His decision-making is suspect." "He has a tendency to be very deliberate with his delivery." "Gets an unusual number of passes batted down at the line for a guy his size." "Tends to try to 'rocket arm balls' into tight spaces." "Makes ill-advised throws." "Has difficulty making accurate throws in close quarters." "Over-powers balls on short throws." "Lacks mobility." "Can get flustered." "Tends to sail intermediate throws."

And those didn't even point out the fact that his arm amps up when the pressure sets in. That's tough to itemize on a scouting report.

Basically, the guy's a 6'6" Jugs machine. Sure he can throw the ball 70 yards. And as long as he can set up and throw from 6 yards deep on the midline, you've got no problems. But, Pittsburgh figured it out by halftime. Lay off the blitz. Play 3 down 8 back, or 4 down 7 back, and cover until the pass rush can move him. You're either going to bait him into a bad throw, knock it down at the line, get to him in the pocket... or at worst, make him make a great throw to beat you.

And it worked. The second half of the game, you saw Anderson trying to thread balls into tight spaces downfield, and gradually becoming less and less accurate hitting his check-downs... although he'd been missing those since early in the game.

So, what I'm saying is, if this team goes 9-7 or 10-6 and squeaks into the playoffs, that's great. But, I won't be at all surprised or offended if the front office immediately packages this guy and ships him off to Atlanta or Minnesota.

What you've got here is a guy who's performing about as well as he can. And, a guy who's never shown a real penchant for improvement."

He's obviously a BQ fag, because not one single thing that he said is remotely close to being true.

#1. Charlie Frye could play - but he doesn't have the arm to be very successful with defenses that plot against him.

Otherwise, he moves outstanding with his feet, scrambles like crazy, throws accurately on the run, and generally

makes good decisions if given a chance. Frye gave 100% even while getting the (*^%*&^% kicked out of him because of the oline.

He stared down his receivers because he had no time to look around.

#2 DA has a superstar caliber cannon arm, but he is so unathletic, he can't gage short throws with any kind of accuracy or

touch on the ball. He has lead feet. With a terrific oline, at least on one side now, he doesn't move well at all, buckles

under pressure, fires dump off passes as hard as he throws 30 yards downfield, stares down his receivers for as long as

his excellent protection might last, makes some of the worst, most stupid decisions with no pressure at all, inexplicably

throws INTs so ridiculous you wonder if he is color blind like Vinny "FlunkedtheTest"everde. DA's throws into the dirt, into the

stratusphere, behind the wr's, reek of a guy who is such a wimp he's afraid of getting hit. And his last int? Like, "NO, DON'T HIT ME,

I GOT RID OF THE BALL TO YOUR TEAM" Give us all a break. DA sucks, even with terrific protection and his cannon arm. blech.

DA doesn't seem to give a )(&^(*&^ about his performances, doesn't seem to get it. We don't have a receiver better than Edwards

to replace him with.

We HAVE a better qb in Quinn, who doesn't seem to have ANY weaknesses in his game, IMHO. We'll find out, though a bit too late to

save the season as far as winning the div or getting a wild card. Seems that Quinn can do it all, everything, and he freakin sees the field

very dang quickly.

Meanwhile, Shep used to slurp all over DA and his cannon arm. Those days are finally over.

I'm starting Quinn just so he can win me a SECOND game in ff football. "sigh"

Guest Masters
#1. Charlie Frye could play - but he doesn't have the arm to be very successful with defenses that plot against him.

Otherwise, he moves outstanding with his feet, scrambles like crazy, throws accurately on the run, and generally

makes good decisions if given a chance. Frye gave 100% even while getting the (*^%*&^% kicked out of him because of the oline.

He stared down his receivers because he had no time to look around.

#2 DA has a superstar caliber cannon arm, but he is so unathletic, he can't gage short throws with any kind of accuracy or

touch on the ball. He has lead feet. With a terrific oline, at least on one side now, he doesn't move well at all, buckles

under pressure, fires dump off passes as hard as he throws 30 yards downfield, stares down his receivers for as long as

his excellent protection might last, makes some of the worst, most stupid decisions with no pressure at all, inexplicably

throws INTs so ridiculous you wonder if he is color blind like Vinny "FlunkedtheTest"everde. DA's throws into the dirt, into the

stratusphere, behind the wr's, reek of a guy who is such a wimp he's afraid of getting hit. And his last int? Like, "NO, DON'T HIT ME,

I GOT RID OF THE BALL TO YOUR TEAM" Give us all a break. DA sucks, even with terrific protection and his cannon arm. blech.

DA doesn't seem to give a )(&^(*&^ about his performances, doesn't seem to get it. We don't have a receiver better than Edwards

to replace him with.

We HAVE a better qb in Quinn, who doesn't seem to have ANY weaknesses in his game, IMHO. We'll find out, though a bit too late to

save the season as far as winning the div or getting a wild card. Seems that Quinn can do it all, everything, and he freakin sees the field

very dang quickly.

Meanwhile, Shep used to slurp all over DA and his cannon arm. Those days are finally over.

I'm starting Quinn just so he can win me a SECOND game in ff football. "sigh"

I can see why some go wow with DA's arm. I mean he can throw a prety ball and has a rocket. Then again, you can put a jug machine back there and get the same thing.

Archived