THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Report UPDATES - Tuesday

Dan in Florida

I just snagged this report off Twitter:

My Report From Berea at Training Camp

My son and I are in Berea for training camp today, Tuesday August 4.

Here are some random impressions and high(or low)lights.

The practice was very well staffed.

One set of field goal posts is more narrow than regulation width to help improve accuracy.

Just as I type this Crazy Train by Ozzy comes on loud as hell. I love it!!!

First guy out on the field at 1 pm (30 mins early) was Alex Mack.

Rex Hadnot came out screaming and raising hell. He seems like a real troop rallyer.

What a gorgeous day. Beautiful and sunny but with a nice breeze. Perfect. My son is very young but still having a blast eating his cheerios and drinking his juice.

DA looks even taller than 6 and a half feet up real close.

Once all the players are out you notice right away the organization and lack of horseplay. That's even before the Sheriff is on the field.

Big Baby is an absolute monster walking out onto the field.

They all started doing some running to Start Me Up by the Stones.

Then they did some stretching. After that they broke into groups and ran some foot drills.

We sat closest to the QBs who were working on recovering fumbles on the grass. No joke - DA blundered his first two attempts much to the laughter of everyone sitting around us.

But I tell ya, when it came to throwing the football, Derek has a rocket of an arm. And Ratliff threw it pretty damn hard too.

Patten was the WR who worked out with the QBs in the short passes drill.

I watched some line drills with Isaac Sowells (61) on one side and Thomas on the other. That was fun to watch as they both seemed very serious about it. And I realized that Sowells has very good size and strength.

Loud horn blasts signal changes in drills.

Rookie RB James Davis is a small but feisty package. He could counter Jamal in a way that would totally keep the opposing defense on their toes. That does not exclude Harrison and Vickers, of course.

I watched some drills with the QBs and Robiskie. Brian is all he is cracked up to be. So smooth in his running style, and great hands.

Steptoe droppped a great pass from Brady right in the hands.

Alex Mack looked awesome. He looks smaller than I expected for some reason, but impressive strength.

Massaquoi caught a perfect spiral from Brady a few feet from us. But Mohammed is not as intimidating up close as Robo.

Cribbs was playing to the cheers of many around us. So was Dawson.

They have mock referees on the field.

My wife would be envious at how close we got to Rogers. She loves Big Baby. He is not very vocal out there, but he was working hard and sweating like a hog.

Quinn definitely took more snaps than the other QBs.

I love Jamal. He is a true pro. But I have to say I saw him get smoked on blocks twice in a row.

One of the most impressive guys on the field was Robert Royal. He has great speed, and he caught two hard passes with very soft hands.

Braylon was working the bike on the field almost all practice.

QBs in orange. Offense in white and defense in brown.

Veikune is awfully tiny in person, but he showed good speed with the receivers.

The music was off for a while but not long. A lot of Ozzy and some Michael Jackson.

The practice ended will full game drills offense and defense. Steptoe dropped another ball right through his hands from DA.

Mangini is fairly silent throughout but he watches very intently and takes copious notes.

Rogers ran a lap for a foul - he came right past us a couple of feet away. What mass that guy has. About 4 players total ran laps.

Defensive coordinator Ryan is an animal on the field. That guy is a wonderful addition to the squad.

His dad, the great Buddy Ryan, was on the defensive sideline.

Dawson hit some pretty long FGs.

There are quite a few media reps here. It is very well attended by Club season seat holders. The team also has its own cameramen placed in giant crane-like structures who are filming on video the entire practice at both ends of the field.

Lots of extra stuff to check out like the Kids Club, BBW and contests with prizes.

Lots of good food too. We enjoyed some dogs and snacks.

These are our initial impressions. Another report will be posted later.

The very end was a full team huddle.

Now it is time for some autographs and more pics. Cheers!

Go Browns Baby!

Sounds like an awesome time with your son Dan, good stuff.

Thanks but it's not me...I'm in Florida. I snagged it off Twitter, it makes you feel like your there. I'm going to watch for more reports from this guy and paste them here.

This Tony Grossi article just popped up on Twitter:

Cleveland Browns training camp log -- Day 4

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Tuesday August 04, 2009, 4:40 PM

medium_hubbardcc.jpg

It was a strong day of work for Browns receiver

Paul Hubbard Tuesday in Berea.

What happened: In full uniform, team drills were devoted to third- and fourth-down situations and two-minute drills at the end. WR Paul Hubbard caught everything in sight for the second day in a row. Rookie WR Brian Robiskie suffered three drops in a five-play sequence. Nine players "ran" laps for errors.

Quarterback derby: It's easy to understand why Eric Mangini maintains the competition is still a dead heat. Statistically, there was little difference between Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. Here's how we charted their work in third- and fourth-down situations: Anderson converted 4 of 9 times (once on a scramble) and had one interception. Quinn converted 4 of 9 times (once on a James Davis run) and had one interception. In the two-minute drill at the end, Anderson moved the No. 1 offense (against No. 1 defense) from the 44-yard line to the defense's 30. Quinn moved the No. 2 offense only three yards in four plays.

Injury report: WR Braylon Edwards (non-football injury) and LB David Bowens (undisclosed) worked with trainers. CB Don Carey (shoulder) and FB Charles Ali (undisclosed) did not practice.

link

Guest TheJokersWILD
I just snagged this report off Twitter:

My Report From Berea at Training Camp

My son and I are in Berea for training camp today, Tuesday August 4.

Here are some random impressions and high(or low)lights.

The practice was very well staffed.

One set of field goal posts is more narrow than regulation width to help improve accuracy.

Just as I type this Crazy Train by Ozzy comes on loud as hell. I love it!!!

First guy out on the field at 1 pm (30 mins early) was Alex Mack.

Rex Hadnot came out screaming and raising hell. He seems like a real troop rallyer.

What a gorgeous day. Beautiful and sunny but with a nice breeze. Perfect. My son is very young but still having a blast eating his cheerios and drinking his juice.

DA looks even taller than 6 and a half feet up real close.

Once all the players are out you notice right away the organization and lack of horseplay. That's even before the Sheriff is on the field.

Big Baby is an absolute monster walking out onto the field.

They all started doing some running to Start Me Up by the Stones.

Then they did some stretching. After that they broke into groups and ran some foot drills.

We sat closest to the QBs who were working on recovering fumbles on the grass. No joke - DA blundered his first two attempts much to the laughter of everyone sitting around us.

But I tell ya, when it came to throwing the football, Derek has a rocket of an arm. And Ratliff threw it pretty damn hard too.

Patten was the WR who worked out with the QBs in the short passes drill.

I watched some line drills with Isaac Sowells (61) on one side and Thomas on the other. That was fun to watch as they both seemed very serious about it. And I realized that Sowells has very good size and strength.

Loud horn blasts signal changes in drills.

Rookie RB James Davis is a small but feisty package. He could counter Jamal in a way that would totally keep the opposing defense on their toes. That does not exclude Harrison and Vickers, of course.

I watched some drills with the QBs and Robiskie. Brian is all he is cracked up to be. So smooth in his running style, and great hands.

Steptoe droppped a great pass from Brady right in the hands.

Alex Mack looked awesome. He looks smaller than I expected for some reason, but impressive strength.

Massaquoi caught a perfect spiral from Brady a few feet from us. But Mohammed is not as intimidating up close as Robo.

Cribbs was playing to the cheers of many around us. So was Dawson.

They have mock referees on the field.

My wife would be envious at how close we got to Rogers. She loves Big Baby. He is not very vocal out there, but he was working hard and sweating like a hog.

Quinn definitely took more snaps than the other QBs.

I love Jamal. He is a true pro. But I have to say I saw him get smoked on blocks twice in a row.

One of the most impressive guys on the field was Robert Royal. He has great speed, and he caught two hard passes with very soft hands.

Braylon was working the bike on the field almost all practice.

QBs in orange. Offense in white and defense in brown.

Veikune is awfully tiny in person, but he showed good speed with the receivers.

The music was off for a while but not long. A lot of Ozzy and some Michael Jackson.

The practice ended will full game drills offense and defense. Steptoe dropped another ball right through his hands from DA.

Mangini is fairly silent throughout but he watches very intently and takes copious notes.

Rogers ran a lap for a foul - he came right past us a couple of feet away. What mass that guy has. About 4 players total ran laps.

Defensive coordinator Ryan is an animal on the field. That guy is a wonderful addition to the squad.

His dad, the great Buddy Ryan, was on the defensive sideline.

Dawson hit some pretty long FGs.

There are quite a few media reps here. It is very well attended by Club season seat holders. The team also has its own cameramen placed in giant crane-like structures who are filming on video the entire practice at both ends of the field.

Lots of extra stuff to check out like the Kids Club, BBW and contests with prizes.

Lots of good food too. We enjoyed some dogs and snacks.

These are our initial impressions. Another report will be posted later.

The very end was a full team huddle.

Now it is time for some autographs and more pics. Cheers!

Go Browns Baby!

I really liked the Royal pickup and I am also excited about Rob Ryan

Guest Aloysius
Lane's Training Camp Quick Hits

- WR Braylon Edwards and OLB David Bowens rode the stationary bikes throughout the practice session.

- FB Charles Ali and rookie DB Don Carey were not on the practice fields.

- Numerous players ran laps due to mistakes in the practice session. LT Joe Thomas and RT John St. Clair for false starts, NT Shaun Rogers for being offside, C Dustin Fry for a bad snap, QB Derek Anderson and C Hank Fraley ran a lap together when there was a communication issue in a hurry-up drill, Gerald Lawson (unknown), Branndon Braxton (unknown).

- WR Paul Hubbard had yet another solid practice session. Gaining reps with a mix of what can be construed as the starting offensive unit, Hubbard caught passes in the hurry-up/two-minute and regular 11-on-11 drills. In this, his second training camp, Hubbard is getting in and out of cuts much quicker and more powerfully, while gaining improved body control in routes. Additionally, correcting a problem he has had prior to the past two practice sessions, the WR is not permitting the ball to get to his body as his hands and fingers are extended. One of Hubbard's receptions came as the result of a Brady Quinn check-down, as the pass hit Hubbard in stride on a crossing route which the middle of the field was wide open.

- Rookie WR Mohamed Massaquoi made a couple of nice receptions, one in traffic and the other on a crossing route from Quinn that would have gone for a major gain in game conditions.

- Sure-handed rookie WR Brian Robiskie dropped one ball today and nearly caught two others that were off target.

- QB's Quinn and Anderson did nothing to separate themselves in the practice session today. Both players made some solid reads and passes as well a number of mistakes, including inaccurate and intercepted passes. It is not that both players are performing poorly; at this juncture neither player is having a great camp, more so workmanlike geared for progress in the coming weeks.

- Quinn threw an ill-advised pass down the seam attempted for TE Aaron Walker, which S Abe Elam read and intercepted.

- LB D'Qwell Jackson continues to have an outstanding training camp. On this day, Jackson made the correct read on a couple running plays, dropped off into coverage filling a lane and intercepted an Anderson pass, which he tipped and dove to make the INT. Also, during a break in the session, the LB was on the sideline talking with former head coach Buddy Ryan, father of Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.

- Rookie RB James Davis continues to do the little things well when, combined with his productive start to camp carrying the ball, has made him a player to watch. The vision and one-cut burst to daylight has been discussed by any and all watching this team the past few days -- but on this day Davis again showed some special qualities.

On a couple plays, Davis maintained his responsibility, then slid out of the backfield to catch a couple passes in team drills. Lining up in the same role, Davis picked up the blitz, enabling Quinn to complete a strike to Hubbard.

As we see in many camp settings, a player will do things on the individual level which gains notice, then fizzles when team drills or the defense begins to key on the situation. Presently, Davis looks tremendous; let's see if this carries over when the 11-on-11 drills become much more intense and schemed.

- With the CB's rotating in and out of the starting role, veteran Corey Ivy has been productive in coverage. He and Rod Hood provide improved talent, and an ability to play within what is going to be a somewhat more complex and attacking defense.

- With NT Shaun Rogers on the field, there is no denying the big man. Rogers fought off double and triple teams in drills -- and was successful in disrupting the play. On the first play of the team session, Rogers blew up the gap between OG Eric Steinbach and Fraley to nail RB Jamal Lewis behind the line of scrimmage.

In other team and individual blocking drills, Rogers was far too much for Fraley and rookie Alex Mack -- though Mack did improve in a latter battle, but still, advantage Rogers.

- Quietly, Robaire Smith continues to forge ahead in his return from a severed Achilles tendon a season ago. Looking strong and mobile, Smith has been strong at the point of attack -- and again on this day had a couple epic battles with All-Pro Joe Thomas.

- Finally, DE Corey Williams is making some noise. Quiet for the most part early in camp, Williams was a force in blocking drills and took reps with the first-team defense and did quite well while battling RT John St. Clair and RG Floyd Womack.

- Rookie RB James Davis continues to do the little things well when, combined with his productive start to camp carrying the ball, has made him a player to watch. The vision and one-cut burst to daylight has been discussed by any and all watching this team the past few days -- but on this day Davis again showed some special qualities.

On a couple plays, Davis maintained his responsibility, then slid out of the backfield to catch a couple passes in team drills. Lining up in the same role, Davis picked up the blitz, enabling Quinn to complete a strike to Hubbard

I really like seeing this. Lets just hope it continues!

I just found this on Twitter:

Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report: Day 4 - QB Position Still Open

by ChrisPokorny on Aug 4, 2009 7:19 PM EDT in 2009 Training Camp

Practice was closed to the public today, but the media still had the pleasure of watching and reporting on your Cleveland Browns. Here's what happened today, according to the media reports coming in...

TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 4 (8/4/09)

quinn80409_large.jpg

Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini is

still waiting for one of the quarterbacks to

emerge over the other.

1. A Tale of Two Sources: Form your own conclusion on how WR Brian Robiskie did in practice today. If you read Tony Grossi's report, Robiskie dropped three balls within a five-play span. If you ask Lane Adkins, Robiskie only had one drop and nearly caught two others that were off target.

2. Bubble Watch: For the second consecutive practice, WR Paul Hubbard made the most of his reps. Hubbard caught everything in sight, standing out amongst the crowd of receivers. The OBR notes that he has made the noticeable improvement of extending his hands for the ball rather than waiting for the ball to come to his body.

3. Mass is Matter: It was also a great practice for WR Mohamed Massaquoi, and perhaps his best one yet. He also caught everything that was coming his way, proving to be a threat due to his speed. Massaquoi had a nice catch on a crossing route which he was then able to run past the defensive backs for a long gain.

4. Quinn Not Excelling: Tony Grossi had some nice statistics from today's practice as to why it's difficult to judge which quarterback truly has the upper hand in practice. Thus far, it seems to be Derek Anderson, but here's what happened today: in 3rd- and 4th-down situations, the offensive units under Anderson and Brady Quinn were each 4-of-9 with an interception. In the two-minute drill, Anderson moved the ball into field goal range with the first-team offense. Quinn, on the other hand, could not manage a first down with the second-team offense in the two-minute drill.

jackson80409.jpg

LB D'Qwell Jackson has been a favorite of

Eric Mangini, as he blankets RB Jerome Harrison here.

5. Props to the Defensive Players: I mentioned above that each quarterback threw an interception. From what I can gather, Quinn was picked by S Abram Elam on an errant pass to TE Aaron Walker, while Anderson was picked by LB D'Qwell Jackson. It wasn't an easy play for Jackson, who made a great read, tipped the ball, and then dove to the ground for the interception. Jackson was praised by head coach Eric Mangini when talking to the media for being a leader on defense.

6. Bad Snaps: It sounds like Alex Mack has had some trouble getting through multiple practices without a bad snap. I'm sure he'll have plenty of time to correct that before the regular season though.

7. Rogers Motoring Again: Big Baby Shaun Rogers was back at work today, proving to be a powerhouse on the defensive line once again. He did have to run a lap though, something that Ohio.com deemed as him looking like he "virtually tip-toed around the outskirts of the field drawing both applause and laughs from individuals in attendance".

8. Backup Corners: The OBR today pointed out that backup cornerbacks Roderick Hood and Corey Ivy have been providing stable coverage. I presume that means they are better than the Terry Cousin's of the NFL. I haven't heard any updates on CB Hank Poteat yet, and the news on rookie CB Coye Francies has been limited.

9. Robaire Still Holding Up: Adkins also reports that Robaire Smith continues to look strong in practice, including having a few "epic" battles with LT Joe Thomas.

10. Cribbs Not Returning Kicks: On kickoffs, Joshua Cribbs took a break from returning the ball in practice and just worked on being on the coverage team. Instead, WR Syndric Steptoe and WR Jordan Norwood handled kickoffs.

massaquoi80409_medium.jpg

WR Mohamed Massaquoi shouldn't have

any problems locking up a roster spot.

11. Mangini Practices "Icing": Coach Mangini needs to practice too. When Phil Dawson lined up for a 47-yard field goal, he drilled it. However, the kick was negated since Mangini called a timeout just before the snap. Dawson missed the second attempt wide left.

The Browns will practice for the public again tomorrow, with a morning session and an afternoon session. I might be a little late on the morning report tomorrow, meaning the evening recap might not come until some time Thursday.

link

Do you have anything to contribute or are you here to be a Troll (the name you picked seems to suggest that). Maybe I'm wrong. New to the board when things are looking a little promising and your the water attempt to drown the fire. ??

This is MY last comment on this because I refuse to get OFF TOPIC. B)

Sure, I am here to talk Browns football. But sometimes, inducing a bit of reality in the situation is the best thing.

Mangini is new and no matter if he sucks, we all have hope. But lets not get carried away with these guys. Not every draft pick is going to workout, Savage era picks will be moved out for draft picks only keeping a couple around. The ones that get cut/traded over the next few years, won't always be fan friendly.

I remember all the hope from Davis/Crennel first years as well.

The one good thing about Mangini/Lerner combo, is at least they are on the same page. Patriots family of organization, we have become.

Here is a Tony Grossi VIDEO report of today's practice:

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

AND here is the PRESS CONFERENCE of Coach Mangini Today (after practice):

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

OTHER BROWNS VIDEOS FROM TODAY:

CLICK HERE to go to the VIDEO VAULT

from ABJ:

Dueling quarterbacks: It's the battle of the summer and there's little escaping it. To some it may even feel like a replay of last summer sans the coin flip. But Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson are duking it out for the job of starting quarterback. No one can obviously judge by a single day, but Anderson definitely had an advantage on the field Tuesday, hitting his receivers consistently and showing good judgment on more than a few occasions. Brady Quinn not so much.

On more than one occasion Quinn put a reciever in a difficult position to make a catch. While occasionally one of his playmakers, such as running back Jerome Harrison, would make him look good by leaping over a defender's back to make a play. On one occasion defensive back Abe Elam, who the Browns acquired in a trade from the New York Jets, picked Quinn off, after he under threw his receiver. Quinn has thrown three picks in two days.

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/

Archived