THE BROWNS BOARD

Wednesday PM practice

dawgpound3

Maybe I am pragmatic, but I don't buy that poor practice guy crap.

I came up in an era where it was preached you played like you practiced.

It was said Chuck Frye was a poor practice player but could get it done on gameday.

Riiight

Yeah, I don't know if I buy it either, but I'm hoping. It was Quinn's rep at ND and he did set 36 QB records there.

I know there are guys known for being average in practice and great on game day, but I'll admit I can't pull any names up. Even if I could, it doesn't mean anything specific to Quinn of course.

Well, DA sucked in practice pretty bad. The direction might have come down that the protocol will be more management than airing things out, which means DA is going to be afraid to let it go like he used to. If that's the case, he is in trouble.

Frye was never a good practice player at Akron either. he was good enough in practice to beat DA out in 2007.

Thanks for setting everybody straight riff. All these reports about Anderson smokin Quinnie must be a bunch of Oralgoners. There must be tons of them at ESPN, CBS Sportsline, Sirius Radio, the Akron Beacon Journal. They're everywhere.

By the way, what's with all the sudden proclamations from Camp BQ that Quinn is a better gamer than he is a practice player? I wonder why everybody just started saying that within the last few days after never mentioning it for the last few years. Got any ideas?

All these reports about Anderson smokin Quinnie must be a bunch of Oralgoners. There must be tons of them at ESPN, CBS Sportsline, Sirius Radio, the Akron Beacon Journal. They're everywhere.

Kind of like "BQ Nation" right?

Maybe I am pragmatic, but I don't buy that poor practice guy crap.

I came up in an era where it was preached you played like you practiced.

It was said Chuck Frye was a poor practice player but could get it done on gameday.

Riiight

I can't speak for everyone BUT I grew up in an era where the QB got TACKLED in practice. When QBs aren't TACKLED in practice today - defenses are told to stop so they can complete a pass with poise, proper mechanics and confidence. It looks NOTHING like game day. We're talking about 2 completely different things. I remembered hearing Worthlessberger was so terrible in training camp practices BEFORE he started - Pittsburgh felt compelled to give Tommy Maddox an insane raise. Maddox got hurt and the clumsy basterd went 15-1 whether his cleats were on the right feet or not.

The RED practice "hands off the QB" jersey doesn't let you KNOW if you've got a Roger Staubach or a Craig Morton. If anything, it would favor a Craig Morton because Roger the Dodger wasn't special until AFTER the pocket broke down and there was adversity. Then he'd BURY the opponent. Morton couldn't extend plays so WHY reward him with that priviledge in a competition for the starting job? Landry didn't do that folks because Staubach started right?

If that's too ancient of an example, we'll use the Tony Romo vrs Drew Bledsoe comparison. There seemed to be a clearcut difference in which guy could handle a pocket collapse and which guy couldn't. If you gave both guys a RED no contact jersey for game day - I'm not so sure Romo remains the more effective QB. Then again, have you ever seen this on GAME DAY? It's the coach's job to KNOW who is better by combining film study, examining trends, seeing leadership assets, and moving the team so there's a gut decision the coach feels confident in.

Last year, DA clearly WON the training camp battle when defenses weren't allowed to block passes, tackle or get in the way when the QBs were trying to throw the ball. Then I look at our game vrs Indy. They can't score a single TD on our defense. Guess how they scored? Dumb Ass held onto the ball too long and somenbody stripped the ball from him and raced 68 yards for the game winning score. That's the difference between training Camp QB and GAME DAY QB. We would go on to lose this game as EVERY Derek Anderson fan would inform us how close he kept us in that 10-6 to the Colts. Another example was his horrible display of leadership in the night game vrs Pitt when he didn't call timeout right before the half. Our offense was in a state of chaos trying to get the snap off before the 30 second clock and DA threw an atrocious INT to Pollyneedsahaircut, which would cost us dearly considering the final score would end up being 10-6 them. Now ENLIGHTEN my ass about where all the training camp heroics disappeared to?????

I think Greythan posed a GREAT question when he asked when is the criteria about watching NFL film on the QB. I'll tell you when it is about that - when 31 other teams were offered DA's starting services. Now the question comes up - "Cleveland is paying this kid starting cake - is he worth it?" Not 1 of them showed the least bit of interest. Why? MANY of them remembered how easy it was to stop him and others didn't like what they saw on film.

I don't KNOW if Quinn is the answer - but I've clearly seen DA is not the answer. That being the case, it sure as Hell would be nice to see the guy we traded away a first and a second round pick for. If not, it's gonna be extremely difficult to get excited about this season. Folks, there's a reason Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar are heroes to me. This team was all hitters and no quitters whenever we've had the right QB.

- Tom F.

Another point: I don't think Mack is starting, they are giving Fraley a lot of action there with the ones. Mack doesn't look that big to me. Veikune does for whoever said he isn't. Oh, and I really like the Barton upgrade over Davis, it is significant I believe.

The center really does not have to be that "big". Mack is supposed to have great feet and good strength. Being a bit shorter is often an advantage at center. Mike webster was always one of the smallest guys on the field. Hate to give props to a Squeeler but the guy was amazing because he had great feet and knew how to get leverage under the bigger guys's pads. Mack is 6'4 311 lbs is what they have listed on the roster.. that's not small. I think some of the other guys are just huge. Frahely is also listed at 6'3 310 so they are nearly identical. most of the tackles are all 6-5 or 6'6" and carrying another 20-30 lbs.. This line is definately bigger than last years across the board. Lets just hope it is a more effective UNIT.. That's what really counts..they need to pick the starters in the next week and let them work together the next month.

We all know that DA is a awful QB. The man can't handle the pressure. Just look at the Bengals game in 07 and all of 08. There should not be any competiton they should have names BQ the starter. All DA has is a big arm and that is it. Takes more than that to make it in this league. DA had is shot, let's just see what the BQ can do.

By no means am I a BQ homer I just call it like I see it.

Can't wait to head up for Friday sessions.

Had my 2 year old son chanting Cleveland Rocks through the house, my wife is a Bengals fan and we were driving her nuts.

Dude... you're now a DA fag? I thought you were Switzerland.

Dude ... I'm just saying, and I've said all along ... whoever throws the football better will win.

Quinn needs to step up. I'm rooting for him.

Zombo

--but DA is a freaking stud

Another point: I don't think Mack is starting, they are giving Fraley a lot of action there with the ones. Mack doesn't look that big to me. Veikune does for whoever said he isn't. Oh, and I really like the Barton upgrade over Davis, it is significant I believe.

Thanks for the updates Riff!

That would REALLY be a big sting to us if Mack isn't an upgrade over Fraley. Your buddy Flugel practically had Mack in the Pro Bowl based on all these scouting reports. I trust your observations though.

I hear you about Barton over Peakaboo-Davis.

- Tom F.

When you draft a guy in the 1st round you usually play them to see what you got...You're not paying a ton of money for them to hold a clipboard... The only fly in this ointment, however, is that the people that drafted Quinn are no longer around... You remember those people, the ones that we said couldn't draft the right players, the ones that we said were terrible coaches.... If we were correct in our assumptions about Savage and Romeo then just maybe they took a huge wiff on draft day with the selection of Quinn... Could that be possible????

Mangini cares less about where a player was selected in the draft.. He didn't make the pick and is not obligated to play him if he thinks another player is a better fit.... He's here to win games and build his resume... He could care less what the fan base thinks, thats why he's the coach...

Peace

T.Dawg

Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan were at the afternoon practice for Sirius NFL Radio.

Kirwan said that the only way Quinn gets the QB job would be because of politics.

And he said if that happens he's gonna rip the team for it all year long.

I listened as well, and Kirwan did not say that. He said he would lobby for Anderson to be traded, and that if it were truly dead even, Quinn would get the nod because of politics.

He also said that it would be better to start Quinn and bring in Anderson if they have to, rather than the other way around.

When you draft a guy in the 1st round you usually play them to see what you got...You're not paying a ton of money for them to hold a clipboard...

we're not paying him alot of money anyway....until he gets 70% of the snaps.....he charges the going rate for QB's who hold the clipboard.

Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan were at the afternoon practice for Sirius NFL Radio.

Kirwan said that the only way Quinn gets the QB job would be because of politics.

And he said if that happens he's gonna rip the team for it all year long.

That's not at all what he said. He said that if you got down to decision time and the quarterbacks were dead even, the Browns would probably go with Quinn. And that that would be the more political move... and possibly money-motivated.

He also stated, "I don't have a stake in this," then admitted the race was too close to call at this point.

-jj

That's not at all what he said. He said that if you got down to decision time and the quarterbacks were dead even, the Browns would probably go with Quinn. And that that would be the more political move... and possibly money-motivated.

Owned again Lum.

Keep it up Jackass.

I'd also argue that if its a "dead heat", going with Quinn makes some sense: A dead heat with Quinn would seem to mean that DA has either not improved or regressed, so why not see what the other guy can do? Why the hell else would an All Pro QB even be in a competition at all, Lum? Riddle me that, fraud.

Archived